PDA

View Full Version : Brazoswood baseball coach uses female as pinch runner

Scoop27
03-08-2016, 12:24 PM
From Brazosport Fact
CLUTE

Preparing to make history on the baseball field Friday, Brazoswood High School junior Alondra Rosales forgot the most important thing — her cleats.

In search of more speed on the base paths, Brazoswood baseball coach Bobby Williams informed Rosales — a student trainer for the baseball team — on Thursday night that he wanted to use her as a pinch runner in one of their games Friday at Wilson Field.

“Coach Williams said, ‘Hey, are you fast?’ And I said, ‘I mean, I guess.’ Then we started comparing me against runners,” Rosales said. “After, they said, ‘You’re going to be running tomorrow.’”

But even when she arrived the following day for the Bucs’ game against Columbia, Rosales wasn’t convinced she would see the field, and didn’t bring her cleats.

“I just thought it was funny. I didn’t think they were being serious,” Rosales said. “But then they started suiting me up for the game, and it just came about that I was running bases for (teammate) Kolin Wade. It was literally overnight. It was an overnight thing.”

When she entered as a pinch runner for Wade, Rosales became the first-ever female to play baseball at Brazoswood High School.

Williams said he was happy for Rosales’ achievement, but said the decision to try her out was in the best interest of the team.

“She was trying out base running because she’s got some speed, and we need some speed for pinch runners without burning position players,” Williams said. “Under the circumstances, I think she did just fine.”

Rosales said Williams and her teammates were extremely supportive of her in the game, which made her more comfortable in the whirlwind situation.

But breaking down barriers wasn’t on Rosales’ mind when she took the field, rather, it was about gaining confidence to play sports again after dealing with severe asthma.

“I didn’t know about (being the first female player) at the time. It’s just amazing, to be honest,” Rosales said. “I’ve never had the courage to go into a sport like that, because I was scared. So coach Williams and the assistant coaches kind of brought me into it to where I wasn’t afraid of going out there and showing them what I’ve got.”

Rosales played basketball and ran track in years past, but her condition became so severe she had to quit both sports, she said. But she recently has gotten the asthma under control, and Rosales said her experience with the baseball team has shown her she can accomplish anything she puts her mind to.

“It’s such a good feeling, just because it just shows a lot of the potential I have to other people who thought I couldn’t do something,” Rosales said. “It just makes me feel good about myself, showing I am capable of doing anything.”

When her senior year begins in the fall, Rosales said she wants to try out for the basketball team once again, but isn’t sure if she has a future on the diamond for the Bucs.

“Honestly, I think I would have to think about it a little bit,” Rosales said. “I know I need some practice, because I was pretty unprepared. But I think if coach (Williams) really gave me a chance for it I would go for it and try to help out.”

Rabid Cougar
03-11-2016, 12:04 PM
1A Milford does it all the time.