PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny HFC position is Open

SHSBulldog00
03-03-2016, 12:46 AM
After two season's Sweeny Head Football Coach Joseph Olguin stepped down last week.

Scoop27
03-03-2016, 10:35 AM
By EVAN DUNBAR evan.dunbar@thefacts.com
SWEENY — Sweeny High School head football coach Joseph Olguin has stepped down from his position to pursue an administrative position within Sweeny ISD, Athletics Director Brett Miksch said Tuesday.

Olguin, who coached the Bulldogs to a 9-12 record in two seasons at the helm, announced his decision to the team last week, Miksch said.

Olguin did not respond to multiple calls from The Facts seeking comment Tuesday.

“Coach Olguin has been a very positive member of this (school) district,” Miksch said. “We had an administrative opportunity come up, and Mr. Olguin chose to pursue that. I understand it was a tough decision for him, but you know the kids respect him a lot and respect his decision. I know they will rally around him and support him.”

Miksch said the details of Olguin’s new position still are being worked out by the school district, but the school hopes to have a new football coach within the next two weeks.

Sweeny will be on its spring break holiday March 7-11, and Miksch said he hopes a replacement will be hired the following week.

“We’re going to try to have somebody in place after spring break,” Miksch said.

“The application process is open right now, and we will try to probably conduct interviews the week of our spring break and hopefully have somebody in by the first week or two after we get back.”

Miksch said the school has not discussed hiring someone internally, but has not ruled out that option.

“We’re just going to see who applies and go from there,” Miksch said. “Sweeny is a pretty respected place we feel, and we’ve had a lot of interest thus far.”

Though Olugin no longer will be involved with the football program, Miksch said just having his presence in the school district is a positive and he is looking forward to what Olguin will be able to accomplish in his new role.

“He’s been an extremely positive influence to our kids and I know he will continue to be,” Miksch said.

“The district is excited about keeping him around, and I definitely appreciate what he’s done for our athletic program and respect his decision and I wish him the best in the new endeavor.”