PDA

View Full Version : No Wharton Tournament this year

Scoop27
02-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Wharton usually hosts a tournament the first weekend of March-For almost 50 years but there will not be one this year because of a lack of team interest to play in

Rabid Cougar
02-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Wharton usually hosts a tournament the first weekend of March-For almost 50 years but there will not be one this year because of a lack of team interest to play in

Lots of schools are not participating in tournaments this year. Mostly because they don't have the pitching. They getting with two other schools and playing round robin double headers instead.
I did see quite a few schools run out of pitching this past weekend at tournaments I called.

I know Cameron pulled out of the Cameron/Rockdale tournement (They are doing their own thing from now on with three turf fields. ) Rockdale is now in with Bremond to do a two field tournement.

duckhunter
02-29-2016, 01:02 PM
that is sad to hear...I have some very fond memories of the tournament there....I do know in recent years the quality of teams there has diminished compared to the kind that played in the tournament 10 years ago or so

duckhunter
02-29-2016, 01:04 PM
I have also heard of rumblings that the Weimar Tournament is on it's last legs as well....with many teams playing district games during spring break now it was a big change when Weimar had to change its tournament dates from the traditional spring break week to earlier in the season.

Scoop27
02-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Yoakum Tournament his this weekend as it's on Boling's schedule

baseballcoach13
03-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Yoakum Tournament his this weekend as it's on Boling's schedule

The lack of interest is because the tournament has gone down hill the past 4-5 years. The field sucks......ij witnessed one game being played after another and the field wasn't even dragged in between. One year there was a really bad JV team in the tournament and no one knew it until they showed up to play. Hospitality room used to be good...it sucked the past few years.

XMan
03-03-2016, 07:42 AM
I think it is pretty safe to say that Floyd Ciruti WAS Wharton baseball. Since he left, Wharton baseball has not been the same. In Weimar, Tom Strickland keeps the Weimar tournament going. Heck, he was putting on the tournament back in the 80s when Weimar didnt even field a high school team. These tournaments require alot of planning and forethought to get them going. Then, it takes alot of work to have someone working the field, gate, concessions and pressbox for three days straight. There are not alot of schools that want to use their resources to put on a tourney in the midst of offseason football, power lifting, and track season.
There is also another trend in tournaments that sort of mirrors society. Back in the day, it was all about bracket tournaments. In those, you have a champion and a last place team and usually an all tournament team. Now days, most of the tourneys are round robin. Teams play up to 6 games and no "winner" is declared. You know before hand who and when you will play and no one gets first.
Another trend is to get into mega tournaments where you can play 5 or 6 games instead of just 3. This is why teams are consolidating the tournaments, its all about getting as many games as possible. The more fields you have going, the more work/workers it requires. These mega tourneys are more of a 5/6A thing but some of the smaller schools get in them. There were some really great tourneys last weekend and there are many more great ones out there for the next few weeks. Find out where your local team is playing and go support them.

baseballcoach13
03-03-2016, 09:01 AM
I think it is pretty safe to say that Floyd Ciruti WAS Wharton baseball. Since he left, Wharton baseball has not been the same. In Weimar, Tom Strickland keeps the Weimar tournament going. Heck, he was putting on the tournament back in the 80s when Weimar didnt even field a high school team. These tournaments require alot of planning and forethought to get them going. Then, it takes alot of work to have someone working the field, gate, concessions and pressbox for three days straight. There are not alot of schools that want to use their resources to put on a tourney in the midst of offseason football, power lifting, and track season.
There is also another trend in tournaments that sort of mirrors society. Back in the day, it was all about bracket tournaments. In those, you have a champion and a last place team and usually an all tournament team. Now days, most of the tourneys are round robin. Teams play up to 6 games and no "winner" is declared. You know before hand who and when you will play and no one gets first.
Another trend is to get into mega tournaments where you can play 5 or 6 games instead of just 3. This is why teams are consolidating the tournaments, its all about getting as many games as possible. The more fields you have going, the more work/workers it requires. These mega tourneys are more of a 5/6A thing but some of the smaller schools get in them. There were some really great tourneys last weekend and there are many more great ones out there for the next few weeks. Find out where your local team is playing and go support them.

You can thank the UIL for teams trying to get more tournament games.