PDA

View Full Version : Navasota

ag4
02-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm hearing alot of changes may be coming to navasota? What is going on in navasota?

HEMOTOXIC
02-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Board did not renew Fedora's contract. No explanation on why... More to come.

HEMOTOXIC
02-16-2016, 04:07 PM
http://m.theeagle.com/brazos_sports/navasota-board-surprisingly-opts-not-to-extend-fedora-s-contract/article_0a229bd8-d4e9-11e5-91f3-7f1fb4371346.html?mode=jqm

The board has elected not to extend his contact at this time. I believe this is his final year of his current contract.

coach
02-16-2016, 04:10 PM
http://m.theeagle.com/brazos_sports/navasota-board-surprisingly-opts-not-to-extend-fedora-s-contract/article_0a229bd8-d4e9-11e5-91f3-7f1fb4371346.html?mode=jqm

The board has elected not to extend his contact at this time. I believe this is his final year of his current contract.

Why? This is shocking?

coach
02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
And stupid I might add.

ag4
02-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I heard his contract ends june 2017.

HEMOTOXIC
02-16-2016, 05:10 PM
That's the million dollar question.

d0tc0m
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM

What in the literal hell? That school board better have a can't-miss plan in place just in case this all blows up and goes to hell. Lots of questions still to be answered here.

Weebe
02-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Unless they've got proof that he's got kidnapped children locked in his basement, this is about the dumbest move I could imagine.

OldBison75
02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Unless they've got proof that he's got kidnapped children locked in his basement, this is about the dumbest move I could imagine.

According to what I have heard, there is no ghost in the closet. We have been told that there will be another attempt to renew the contract at the next meeting (possible a special meeting). I bet the place will be packed and vocal.

Weebe
02-16-2016, 06:32 PM
According to what I have heard, there is no ghost in the closet. We have been told that there will be another attempt to renew the contract at the next meeting (possible a special meeting). I bet the place will be packed and vocal.

As it should be. But I'd bet that bridge is already burned.

OldBison75
02-16-2016, 06:40 PM
As it should be. But I'd bet that bridge is already burned.

I hope not, but I would not be surprised if that is the case. Fedora has been a very good coach and citizen in Navasota and is respected by so many. However, he has too much talent as a coach and motivator to stay where he is not wanted. And, it ain't like he has not had a lot of offers to go somewhere else. He has remained loyal to Navasota and gets treated like this with no explanation.

Dawgs
02-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Has to be more to this. In the context it's being presented it makes zero sense. I was under the impression Fedora was the Surratt or Traylor of Navasota. Untouchable and would get whatever he wanted to stay. I'm ready to hear more on this story.

Weebe
02-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Anybody know how much Navasota is paying Fedora? Couldn't find it online.

Dawgs
02-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Anybody know how much Navasota is paying Fedora? Couldn't find it online.

I would think over 105k base salary. That's prolly a little on the low end for top notch coaches at the 4a level. I know Surratt was making over 100k in 2010, in only base salary not including stipends, bonuses, or allowances.

HEMOTOXIC
02-16-2016, 08:22 PM

That's what I'm hearing. And, it will be very vocal. The folks of Navasota are very heated at the school board. I'd love to hear their reasoning.

stardog
02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Didn't he apply for the Waco Midway job ?

d0tc0m
02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
My years as a media member tell me to be patient and trust that there are some journalists in that area talking to the right people and asking the right questions, which leads me to believe there is more to the story that we will get to hear soon.

On the flip side, that same experience as a media member reminds me that school boards are a pain to deal with, and a lot - not all - of the people on them relish what little power and authority they feel they wield. Most of them really like to play the no-comment card, too. But there's always one that's easy to crack. Hopefully someone knows/has found that one and is getting the true story.

HEMOTOXIC
02-16-2016, 10:41 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/content/sports/Board-takes-no-action-on-proposed-contract-extension-for-Fedora-369038611.html

Rabid Cougar
02-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Didn't he apply for the Waco Midway job ?

Yes, came in third.

catgut
02-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Sounds like when Bowman left Paris after two great years of coaching. But it wasn't the on the field stuff that got him.

HEMOTOXIC
02-17-2016, 02:30 PM
From what I've read on facebook, posted by a board member, they chose not to act on the motion considering Fedora still has one more year on his contract. Instead, they acted on more pressing issues and those whose contracts were ended this year.

There is no issue except the press misleading it's readers, myself included, stating, "Board No on Fedora Extension." The board has yet to vote on an extension for Fedora. This will probably happen at the next board meeting. And, from what I have gathered, Fedora will get an extension.

Rocket Man
02-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Shakespeare: Much ado about nothing

OldBison75
02-17-2016, 07:01 PM
After talking with several people in the know and reading an explanation from one school board member (see attached) I believe like Hemotoxic, this was blown up by the way it was reported.

Board Member's response:

I thought I might set some things straight since there is much erroneous information being thrown about. For quite some time now many things at NISD have been handled in a manner best described as “rubber Stamped”. A good example is the school bus transportation department. First student has had a contract for the past five years. In this time and most notably the past few years, no one has been monitoring the performance of their level of service. Community members have voiced concerns about the situation on social media (James Harris) and at school board meetings (Kathryn Eversole). At my second regular meeting as a school board member I asked for a report on this. The report from NISD administration did not offer any evidence of anything wrong. At a January special meeting, Region 4 auditors gave a report that revealed multiple infractions of the law and an unsafe situation for our students riding the buses. It was embarrassing. In the words of the auditors, TXDOT could have come in and shut the buses down leaving us with no way to get the kids home. This is what happens when no one is watching and asking questions. I’m proud to say things have improved dramatically in the transportation department. This is what happens when we do ask questions.
Another good example is the “review and consider for approval of the bills paid” section of our monthly school board meetings. When I came on board in May, board members received the bills paid on Friday afternoon. The deadline to turn in a question on a bill is Thursday at noon. That’s correct; we were getting the list of bills paid after the deadline to question anything. I was actually chastised by another board member for asking questions about some bills paid. I didn’t back down. If you care to look at my record I have voted numerous times to not approve of the bills paid because I believe our Superintendent is abusing his position and wasting tax payer money particularly on paying Scott McDonald $11,000.00 to write a hand full of articles that few even know exist. I’m proud to say now that the superintendent’s secretary Lucy Munoz is doing a great job of getting the list of bills paid to us on the Monday before the meeting so we can have time to “review and consider for approval” just like the agenda says. This is what happens when we ask questions. Go check the record, I voted to approve last month’s bills paid because I stopped the wasteful spending.
Early on in my tenure as a board member, a property tax question came to the board and we had to take action. It involved the homestead exemption and how it applied particularly to our school district. It was a bit confusing considering that the issue would be on the State wide November election ballot as well. I asked that we table the measure and hold a special meeting and bring in the chief appraiser for the county to better explain the ramifications both now and in the future. We did just that and made an informed decision that was best for the school district and the tax payers. However at the time, social media blew up saying that Greg Mock was going to raise everyone’s taxes. All of this blew up because I wanted to make an informed decision. I’m proud to say that no one’s taxes went up due to any action of the school board because we asked questions and made informed decisions.
At Monday night’s regular school board meeting, I was blindsided. Although it was included on the agenda in a generic way, I had no idea that we were going to have to act in the manner that was put to the board. This is another example of the lack of communication that our Superintendent relates to the board. If we are going to act on a half a million dollars worth of salaries, I would have liked a little more heads up. Thank you Linda Meekins McClain for noting this in an earlier post yesterday. This is why I and the majority of the board members failed to act on Coach Fedora’s contract extension. I knew that his contract was intact through June of 2017. Sixteen months from now. Like every decision I have made since being elected to the board, I want to make an informed and deliberate decision on everything we vote on.
The ensuing circus on social media that happened yesterday is not by accident. There are those who sit on the sidelines and launch continual personal attacks because they have lost any reason for their argument. The navasotaexaminer.com had an erroneous headline that read “Board of Trustees votes to not offer extension on Fedora’s contract”. False, there was no vote. The motion failed for a lack of a second. There is a huge difference. This will come before the board again. We board members all know this.
Rattler football has been around for a long time and will continue be strong. I can remember going to a playoff game against Cuero in the 70’s when my sisters were in the band and twirlers. Jesse James was the star quarterback and class valedictorian. My sister Marguerite was a close second at salutatorian. I remember a very cold playoff game in Austin at memorial stadium when Lynn James played quarterback against a tough Refugio team. I remember listening on the radio to the state game that the Rattlers came up a little short against SouthLake Carroll. I remember my nephew William Mock catching an interception at the Astrodome against Brenham in a playoff game in the early 2000’s. I remember my nephew Jacob Malek catching a pass in overtime to put us in the playoffs I believe. I remember my nephew Sammy Blair catching pass after pass after half time and putting us back in the game in the state playoff game against Argyle all on a torn meniscus in his knee. My son straps on an NStar helmet and although he may be one of the smallest guys on the field, he goes and plays his butt off. I’m down on the field blowing up the run thru helmet and I take my turn in the concession stand. Don’t you dare question my loyalty to Navasota Football and our school district. At a time when parents were pulling out and leaving, I ran for school board because I care about this district and I want only what is best for our kids. That means academically, athletically and economically. If this means I need to take a thorough look at things before we act then that’s what I will do. Otherwise I’m just another “rubber stamp”.

zebrablue2
02-17-2016, 10:26 PM
After 2017 I look for new challenges for this great leader! Navasota is and was lucky to have him, as well as he was in a great place with great kids to work with..:2thumbsup:

hookandladder
02-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Somewhat surprised he has not joined his brother yet, I would think he is ready for the next level.

Aesculus gilmus
02-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Public schools seem to be a "hot mess" all over the state. Fortunately, they have so much going for them politically that the extremist Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, even though he was easily elected, found he could not just shut the public schools down and give everyone vouchers. He hasn't even been able to admit the TAPPS schools to the UIL yet.

I admit I am surprised at how little power he seems to have. From the way Texans have been voting, I would have thought the public schools would be well on the way to oblivion by now.

toddg
02-18-2016, 03:52 PM
After talking with several people in the know and reading an explanation from one school board member (see attached) I believe like Hemotoxic, this was blown up by the way it was reported.

Board Member's response:

I thought I might set some things straight since there is much erroneous information being thrown about. For quite some time now many things at NISD have been handled in a manner best described as “rubber Stamped”. A good example is the school bus transportation department. First student has had a contract for the past five years. In this time and most notably the past few years, no one has been monitoring the performance of their level of service. Community members have voiced concerns about the situation on social media (James Harris) and at school board meetings (Kathryn Eversole). At my second regular meeting as a school board member I asked for a report on this. The report from NISD administration did not offer any evidence of anything wrong. At a January special meeting, Region 4 auditors gave a report that revealed multiple infractions of the law and an unsafe situation for our students riding the buses. It was embarrassing. In the words of the auditors, TXDOT could have come in and shut the buses down leaving us with no way to get the kids home. This is what happens when no one is watching and asking questions. I’m proud to say things have improved dramatically in the transportation department. This is what happens when we do ask questions.
Another good example is the “review and consider for approval of the bills paid” section of our monthly school board meetings. When I came on board in May, board members received the bills paid on Friday afternoon. The deadline to turn in a question on a bill is Thursday at noon. That’s correct; we were getting the list of bills paid after the deadline to question anything. I was actually chastised by another board member for asking questions about some bills paid. I didn’t back down. If you care to look at my record I have voted numerous times to not approve of the bills paid because I believe our Superintendent is abusing his position and wasting tax payer money particularly on paying Scott McDonald $11,000.00 to write a hand full of articles that few even know exist. I’m proud to say now that the superintendent’s secretary Lucy Munoz is doing a great job of getting the list of bills paid to us on the Monday before the meeting so we can have time to “review and consider for approval” just like the agenda says. This is what happens when we ask questions. Go check the record, I voted to approve last month’s bills paid because I stopped the wasteful spending.
Early on in my tenure as a board member, a property tax question came to the board and we had to take action. It involved the homestead exemption and how it applied particularly to our school district. It was a bit confusing considering that the issue would be on the State wide November election ballot as well. I asked that we table the measure and hold a special meeting and bring in the chief appraiser for the county to better explain the ramifications both now and in the future. We did just that and made an informed decision that was best for the school district and the tax payers. However at the time, social media blew up saying that Greg Mock was going to raise everyone’s taxes. All of this blew up because I wanted to make an informed decision. I’m proud to say that no one’s taxes went up due to any action of the school board because we asked questions and made informed decisions.
At Monday night’s regular school board meeting, I was blindsided. Although it was included on the agenda in a generic way, I had no idea that we were going to have to act in the manner that was put to the board. This is another example of the lack of communication that our Superintendent relates to the board. If we are going to act on a half a million dollars worth of salaries, I would have liked a little more heads up. Thank you Linda Meekins McClain for noting this in an earlier post yesterday. This is why I and the majority of the board members failed to act on Coach Fedora’s contract extension. I knew that his contract was intact through June of 2017. Sixteen months from now. Like every decision I have made since being elected to the board, I want to make an informed and deliberate decision on everything we vote on.
The ensuing circus on social media that happened yesterday is not by accident. There are those who sit on the sidelines and launch continual personal attacks because they have lost any reason for their argument. The navasotaexaminer.com had an erroneous headline that read “Board of Trustees votes to not offer extension on Fedora’s contract”. False, there was no vote. The motion failed for a lack of a second. There is a huge difference. This will come before the board again. We board members all know this.
Rattler football has been around for a long time and will continue be strong. I can remember going to a playoff game against Cuero in the 70’s when my sisters were in the band and twirlers. Jesse James was the star quarterback and class valedictorian. My sister Marguerite was a close second at salutatorian. I remember a very cold playoff game in Austin at memorial stadium when Lynn James played quarterback against a tough Refugio team. I remember listening on the radio to the state game that the Rattlers came up a little short against SouthLake Carroll. I remember my nephew William Mock catching an interception at the Astrodome against Brenham in a playoff game in the early 2000’s. I remember my nephew Jacob Malek catching a pass in overtime to put us in the playoffs I believe. I remember my nephew Sammy Blair catching pass after pass after half time and putting us back in the game in the state playoff game against Argyle all on a torn meniscus in his knee. My son straps on an NStar helmet and although he may be one of the smallest guys on the field, he goes and plays his butt off. I’m down on the field blowing up the run thru helmet and I take my turn in the concession stand. Don’t you dare question my loyalty to Navasota Football and our school district. At a time when parents were pulling out and leaving, I ran for school board because I care about this district and I want only what is best for our kids. That means academically, athletically and economically. If this means I need to take a thorough look at things before we act then that’s what I will do. Otherwise I’m just another “rubber stamp”.
i was at that game..they came up short a lot in that game..

coach
02-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Lee Fedora to A&M. I said it first.

ahs_indian_fan
02-19-2016, 09:01 AM
While he may not have a problem with Fedora, the Board member certainly has an issue (or seven) with the Superintendent

HEMOTOXIC
02-19-2016, 09:34 AM
i was at that game..they came up short a lot in that game..

You're right about that!

ag4
02-24-2016, 01:31 PM
I heard there is a special called board meeting set for monday the 29th. Anyone hear what will be going on at this board meeting?

OLE'BULL
02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
So far it is still a non-story. Attention seek press people took it a bit too far. Fedora will be offered a renewal contract when the time is appropriate and there are not more urgent issues. There is much more to running a school district than the AD's contract (hard to believe for us TXHS Fans!), but there is. It also sounds like the Sup.'s contract ought to be re-visited! If Fedora is not on the Rattler sideline next year or the year after, it is because it was his choice and he has moved up and on. (Disclaimer: My opinion is based on knowing the kind of man I THINK Fedora is. If he did something wrong, illegal, etc. than that's another story!)

coach
02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
So far it is still a non-story. Attention seek press people took it a bit too far. Fedora will be offered a renewal contract when the time is appropriate and there are not more urgent issues. There is much more to running a school district than the AD's contract (hard to believe for us TXHS Fans!), but there is. It also sounds like the Sup.'s contract ought to be re-visited! If Fedora is not on the Rattler sideline next year or the year after, it is because it was his choice and he has moved up and on. (Disclaimer: My opinion is based on knowing the kind of man I THINK Fedora is. If he did something wrong, illegal, etc. than that's another story!)

He needs to be on the "sideline" at Kyle Field next year.

HEMOTOXIC
02-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Aug. 12 vs Bellville (Scrimmage)
Aug. 19 at Tomball (Scrimmage)

Aug. 26 vs Franklin
Sept. 2 vs Magnolia West
Sept. 9 at Waller
Sept. 16 vs Stafford (Homecoming)
Sept. 23 BYE
Sept. 29 at Bryan
Oct. 7 vs Huffman Hargrave*
Oct. 14 at Silsbee*
Oct. 21 vs Cleveland*
Oct. 28 at Bridge City*
Nov. 4 vs Little Cypress-Mauriceville*
* District Game
All times at 7 p.m. except Sept. 9 at Waller

OLE'BULL
02-24-2016, 05:37 PM
He needs to be on the "sideline" at Kyle Field next year.

They need all the help they can get!

OLE'BULL
02-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Aug. 26 vs Franklin
Sept. 2 vs Magnolia West
Sept. 9 at Waller
Sept. 23 BYE
Sept. 29 at Bryan
Oct. 14 at Silsbee*
Oct. 21 vs Cleveland*
Oct. 28 at Bridge City*
* District Game

See you folks Aug. 12th. Where will it be played?

navscanmaster
02-25-2016, 12:14 AM

Aug. 26 vs Franklin
Sept. 2 vs Magnolia West
Sept. 9 at Waller
Sept. 23 BYE
Sept. 29 at Bryan
Oct. 14 at Silsbee*
Oct. 21 vs Cleveland*
Oct. 28 at Bridge City*
* District Game
Jeez, no more griping about a soft schedule for Navasota, lol. A 3A state runner up to start the year, two 5As back to back, a solid playoff team, and a Bryan squad (assuming Vikings here) that hasn't played Navasota in any of our lifetimes, before a long distance district with several teams with a pulse. Probably won't get out of the regular season 10-0 this time, but if they do, watch out!

Dawgs
02-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Jeez, no more griping about a soft schedule for Navasota, lol. A 3A state runner up to start the year, two 5As back to back, a solid playoff team, and a Bryan squad (assuming Vikings here) that hasn't played Navasota in any of our lifetimes, before a long distance district with several teams with a pulse. Probably won't get out of the regular season 10-0 this time, but if they do, watch out!

Definitely a tougher schedule than the past couple of years. Biggest thing I see is the strength of the district. Will be very competitive. Surprised to see Franklin on yalls schedule. That is a huge step up for them. I know they were state runner up, but there is a big difference in 3a D2 and 4a D1. Navasota would have beat Franklin by 21+ last year, and I'm pretty sure that was Franklin's best team ever. I would be surprised if that game is competitive. One thing it will do is get Navasota ready for the Wing-T. They will see it again in district against BC. Overall good schedule. Should be a fun year for the fans. Region 3 is gonna be very competitive this year.

HEMOTOXIC
02-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Definitely a tougher schedule than the past couple of years. Biggest thing I see is the strength of the district. Will be very competitive. Surprised to see Franklin on yalls schedule. That is a huge step up for them. I know they were state runner up, but there is a big difference in 3a D2 and 4a D1. Navasota would have beat Franklin by 21+ last year, and I'm pretty sure that was Franklin's best team ever. I would be surprised if that game is competitive. One thing it will do is get Navasota ready for the Wing-T. They will see it again in district against BC. Overall good schedule. Should be a fun year for the fans. Region 3 is gonna be very competitive this year.

The Franklin game may have been a late addition. Keep in mind, Livingston was originally placed in our district but after appealing with UIL, they were moved back up to 5A. This caused everyone in our district to find another game.

Dawgs
02-25-2016, 12:01 PM
The Franklin game may have been a late addition. Keep in mind, Livingston was originally placed in our district but after appealing with UIL, they were moved back up to 5A. This caused everyone in our district to find another game.

Yes sir, that makes sense. Not taking anything away from Franklin, just surprised to see them step up like that. Both teams will benefit from the game. Sometimes you just gotta get a game on the schedule. I'm sure as good as Navaosta has been the last 5-6 years it's hard to get teams to play sometimes, especially if those teams are looking to go 10-0.