PDA

View Full Version : Division 3 College Football

Dub-C
02-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for your son playing at a D-3 college? Does the cost out weigh the benefits? If they attend one of the Private schools they could be left with a huge student loan. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

cookiemonster
02-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for your son playing at a D-3 college? Does the cost out weigh the benefits? If they attend one of the Private schools they could be left with a huge student loan. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Division 3 Football is very competitive and in Texas we are blessed to have some great options with great football programs. Only negative I see is most of those schools are private and the cost is high. The kids I have sent to those schools have loved their experience and although they don't give scholarships they can do things to help with the cost.

Yoe_09
02-08-2016, 12:37 AM

I spent four 4 years at UMHB, the school with the top D3 football program in the state of Texas. I was not a player, but got to work with some of those student athletes, and I can tell you it is a great experience. I was used to the small town feel, and not much changed when I moved on to college. The facilities are excellent - not just the brand new football stadium (thank Mr. McLane), but the academic facilities are also top notch.

Dub-C
02-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I appreciate the comments guys, we are going for a visit this next week.

panfan
02-09-2016, 07:51 AM
A kid that graduated last year with my boy got offered to go to umhb. He is there playing and loving it. I also understand that they find ways to help offset some cost for athletes and high academic kids, maybe through endowment funds.

nasa1
02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
20+ act or 940 + sat = definite financial aid.

d0tc0m
02-09-2016, 03:34 PM
I'll just echo what some have already said on here. My little brother graduated from UMHB and loved it. He loved going to the football games, too, even back when they played at Belton High School. Now that the Cru has the new stadium, I imagine the game day experience is even better for players and fans. UMHB is the top D3 school in Texas, and has excellent academics as well. Unfortunately, that's the only D3 school I can comment on.

coach
02-09-2016, 03:57 PM
I don't know anything about D3 ball but I am a legend at the division 6 level.

greendawg84
02-09-2016, 04:29 PM
If your grades are good enough they can help you . Howard Payne gave my oldest son enough money that the cost was about the same as a state school . They also helped him get a job working for the school this year while he is working on his masters . They paid for half of his tuition as an employee . Small schools are great schools , hell he had 6 kids in his Organic Chemistry class . They offered my middle son 58K in Jacket Dollars ( as they call it ) over 4 years , higher your SAT etc the more money they can give you . That will make it less than going to a state school . They suck at football for the record , but did just hire a new coach . As someone already stated , they do not give athletic scholarships period.

Dub-C
02-09-2016, 05:56 PM
McMurray is interested in my son playing Football for them. His grades are good enough to qualify for financial aid.

slingshot
02-09-2016, 11:04 PM
McMurry and Hardin Simmons are both great schools. Smaller class size, a lot more individual attention--they really care that you succeed. I went to a state university. 200+ kids in some classes... you're on your own there. Just a number, you succeed/you fail--doesn't really matter to them.
My two older sons both attend ACU now and both love it. Same reasons as mentioned above. It does have nicer facilities than the other two but is more expensive and does offer scholarships (is now NCAA Division 1, FCS in football). One of mine qualified for $10,000 per year in academic scholarships as long as he maintains a 3.0 GPA, the other one qualified for $6000 per year. My wife is an RN and works in the ACU nursing school--with their academic scholarships and her employee discount it is much cheaper for us than if they had gone to Texas Tech or A&M, etc...

Rabid Cougar
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
The degrees from the schools mentioned work just like degrees from D1 schools. Football at D-3 schools in Texas is serious business. No so much at that level in other states outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Breacher9
02-10-2016, 12:26 PM

Playing football at the D-3 level in Texas is no joke. I have a family member that has told me it was one of the best decisions he made and would not take it back. Granted he does have student loans, but the experience and education you receive was well worth it. School like UMHB, Hardin Simmon, Texas Lutheran are all great schools with good football programs right now.

Pros-getting the experience of playing football at the next level
Teammates and networking that will last a life time
getting an education
having an incentive to keep grades up and finish school (i know a lot of guys that would not have finished college if it were not for football)

Cons-money and student loans

As some of the posts on here stated, with good grades you can get enough help to offset most of the costs and make it just as affordable as a state school. Kids today do not understand how important that ACT/SAT and GPA are. It can save you THOUSANDS in the long run. More athletes should spend money on tutors rather than all this extra 3rd party training companies. Education will always pay off in the long run. As a parent you never want to stomp on their dreams of getting to play 4-5 more years of football because of money. The percentage of players that get to play at the next level is so small, they are a special kid if they can make it happen.

Caveman
02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
I've been trying to avoid saying anything on this thread, but here goes. Whatever you do stay away from Austin College. It is hand down the worst football program in the state. I have never seen a coach with less football smarts in my life and who doesn't seem to care about his players. As some of the players have said, "their high schools could've beaten AC". Not to mention the $35,000 in student loans. As others have mentioned on here UMHB, Texas Lutheran, and Midwestern State are good programs. I'll also give props to Trinity University. Great program and great academics.

Dub-C
02-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Now he has been offered a visit to a College in Iowa. Drodt college called him this evening and said they got film from another college and his information. They want him to come visit but that is so far away. Gonna talk to the coach none the less and see what he had to say.

coach
02-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Now he has been offered a visit to a College in Iowa. Drodt college called him this evening and said they got film from another college and his information. They want him to come visit but that is so far away. Gonna talk to the coach none the less and see what he had to say.

Please tell me Drodt's mascott. That's an awesome name for a college.

Dub-C
02-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Please tell me Drodt's mascott. That's an awesome name for a college.
http://www.dordt.edu/athletics/football/

Breacher9
02-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Looks like Dordt is an NAIA school. From my understanding NAIA schools are able to give athletic scholarships. They are not NCAA affiliated. Might be something to look into when looking at cost. IF they can offer him some money it would be a good deal Dub-C ... where did your son play football?

Rabid Cougar
02-11-2016, 03:06 PM

A college friend's son plays at Dordt. Very good engineering school. Both parents are Nuclear Engineers from A&M so they wouldn't allow him to go just anywhere. He played 8 man football at a small church school in Idaho graduating in the top of his class of 11 . He got scholastic assistance. Their football on the other hand....... maybe on par with midlevel Texas 5A High school.
Almost all of their players from Texas, which there are quite a few, are the Scholastic All District types. He likes it there and the parents are happy with the school.

Dub-C
02-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Looks like Dordt is an NAIA school. From my understanding NAIA schools are able to give athletic scholarships. They are not NCAA affiliated. Might be something to look into when looking at cost. IF they can offer him some money it would be a good deal Dub-C ... where did your son play football?
He played For the Columbia Roughnecks.

Check out my highlight
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2826704/highlights/308840400

FB-fanatic
02-13-2016, 09:01 PM
My son finished his '13 season with over 7,000 yds career offense, and weighed all the DIII's and a couple of DII programs against TAMU academically. At the final hour, he chose to follow big brother to the large TAMU campus he virtually grew up on, and is now loving life.

Some observations:
1. TLU and TAMU costs were eventually about the same. UMHB starting salary = $45,000 TAMU = $51,000 (TLU inf not easy to find)
2. My son eventually felt he would not be happy on small TLU type campus
3. D3's can promise the world to everyone, since scholarships are not at stake, and recruit as many players as will come on campus
4. D3 and some D2's are notorious for converting QB recruits into LB's on first day of practice
5. One of my son's receivers stuck it out at TLU for 3 years, being told each year, that he could be 1 or 2 on depth the next year, but did not happen. He is now on the coaching staff with some small responsibilities.
6. Another teammate is starting on the D3 Southwest defensive roster as a sophomore, and appears to be happy, but this is a startup program.
7. Another Lorena teammate played 4 years and graduates from Trinity this year. All appearances are that he is happy.

This link will be helpful also:
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?126449-Scholarships-DIII-Etc&highlight=texas+lutheran

Dub-C
02-14-2016, 12:39 AM
My son finished his '13 season with over 7,000 yds career offense, and weighed all the DIII's and a couple of DII programs against TAMU academically. At the final hour, he chose to follow big brother to the large TAMU campus he virtually grew up on, and is now loving life.

Some observations:
1. TLU and TAMU costs were eventually about the same. UMHB starting salary = $45,000 TAMU = $51,000 (TLU inf not easy to find)
2. My son eventually felt he would not be happy on small TLU type campus
3. D3's can promise the world to everyone, since scholarships are not at stake, and recruit as many players as will come on campus
4. D3 and some D2's are notorious for converting QB recruits into LB's on first day of practice
5. One of my son's receivers stuck it out at TLU for 3 years, being told each year, that he could be 1 or 2 on depth the next year, but did not happen. He is now on the coaching staff with some small responsibilities.
6. Another teammate is starting on the D3 Southwest defensive roster as a sophomore, and appears to be happy, but this is a startup program.
7. Another Lorena teammate played 4 years and graduates from Trinity this year. All appearances are that he is happy.

This link will be helpful also:
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?126449-Scholarships-DIII-Etc&highlight=texas+lutheran
My son did play QB his Sr year but that's not his true position. He is sought after to play olb. QB has never been mentioned to him.

Check out my highlight
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2826704/highlights/213255869

Steernation
02-15-2016, 02:04 AM
From personal experience d3 football and college was a great experience. Though i only played for a short time due to injury, it was something that I won't forget. I played at Howard Payne this last year, the connection with the coaches is unbelievable. I still talk with the (now head coach) every now and then. He is a great guy, and the rest of the coaching staff is as well. As for the cost of the college, they make up for the cost with random scholarships. I paid 1000 for a full year. I had no loans. The classes I had typically had less than 20 people. One class had only 7. I know I can only talk about my experience with hpu but I'm sure it's like that at most d3s. Though HPU is not the best team right now, I see big things happening there in the near future.

WhartonTigers
02-15-2016, 09:50 AM
I went to UMHB and played ball in the fall of 09. It was a great experience for me because I'm a licensed ordained minister and the school was a Christian school. It wasn't my first option, I was accepted into Morehouse College in Atlanta,Ga. But my OC GLEN KILLOUGH, called his college roommate JEFF SHINN,who was the running backs coach at UMHB and I decided to stay in Texas...I LOVED THE EXPERIENCE AND RELATIONSHIPS, despite the rising cost of tuition of every year. But everytime I look down at my ring I say it was worth it! #35 #gocru

Dub-C
02-15-2016, 11:50 AM
I appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. It has really made our family feel a little more at ease.