PDA

View Full Version : Argyle vs. Lovejoy

Leopard4Life
02-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Heard these two are scheduled to play at the Tom Landry Classic to open the season.

Sweetwater Red
02-01-2016, 02:19 PM
The Eagles are going to need all the competition they can get in their early schedule given
that they will probably beat everyone in their district by forty plus.

Leopard4Life
02-01-2016, 02:41 PM
The Eagles are going to need all the competition they can get in their early schedule given

We graduated the house. We will be very young and inexperienced, but we got a new coach (probably our best ever) so things should be looking up soon. The last two years were a complete waste of talent...

Leopard4Life
08-06-2016, 08:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNM-ZSm_ZM

Eagle Nation
08-06-2016, 10:07 PM
It will be played Saturday night in Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pudlugger
08-07-2016, 10:23 PM

La Grange plays them week 2 @ Waco Midway. This should be a good test for both teams.

regaleagle
08-08-2016, 03:18 AM
Ledford should be pretty amazing this year.....he's just a great athlete. It will be his senior year, and he's been in a whole lot of games in his career. I think the Oline will be there for him, and I fully expect his passing and running this year to be a real threat. I think he is under the radar for 4A QB's, but not necessarily for the coaching staffs that will face Argyle. It's obvious he can handle the position with poise. I'm all pumped for some Friday night Football, Folks.

Pudlugger
08-08-2016, 05:37 AM
Ledford should be pretty amazing this year.....he's just a great athlete. It will be his senior year, and he's been in a whole lot of games in his career. I think the Oline will be there for him, and I fully expect his passing and running this year to be a real threat. I think he is under the radar for 4A QB's, but not necessarily for the coaching staffs that will face Argyle. It's obvious he can handle the position with poise. I'm all pumped for some Friday night Football, Folks.

Yes I read about him and he will be a huge factor in this game. Our defense better be ready to defend the pass this year. Our cornerbacks will be seniors and have been starters for the two prior season so they have experience and good speed so hopefully they can keep abreast of the Eagle receivers. We have Liberty hill the first week and so our defense will be focused on the run. With the balanced and effective passing attack of the Eagles it will require some adjustments for sure.

Aguilafanatico
08-08-2016, 08:09 AM
The Eagle Oline this year is massive. Got to see them for the first time in Friday. Wow! The Eagles graduated a ton last year and have to replace some key pieces, however Dane is back looking better than ever and the Oline should dominate the los. Big, strong, athletic group.

d0tc0m
08-08-2016, 09:43 AM
The Eagle Oline this year is massive. Got to see them for the first time in Friday. Wow! The Eagles graduated a ton last year and have to replace some key pieces, however Dane is back looking better than ever and the Oline should dominate the los. Big, strong, athletic group.

Then that Celina game should be a fun one. Two massive/athletic lines ... on both sides. Two good QBs. Two teams needing to replace key pieces at the skill positions. I know Lovejoy is 5A, but I doubt that matters much to Argyle. I think it could be a big momentum win/starter for the Eagles to kick off the season.

Aguilafanatico
08-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Then that Celina game should be a fun one. Two massive/athletic lines ... on both sides. Two good QBs. Two teams needing to replace key pieces at the skill positions. I know Lovejoy is 5A, but I doubt that matters much to Argyle. I think it could be a big momentum win/starter for the Eagles to kick off the season.

Agree. The Celina game is always fun. Rivalry games are the best.

d0tc0m
08-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Agree. The Celina game is always fun. Rivalry games are the best.

Agreed. Hope it continues to develop into a good rivalry. Last season was actually the only close game in this series. The others - if my memory is correct - were blowouts for either side. Would love for the games to be very competitive each season, because I think it'll be conducive to success for both programs.

regaleagle
08-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Agreed. Hope it continues to develop into a good rivalry. Last season was actually the only close game in this series. The others - if my memory is correct - were blowouts for either side. Would love for the games to be very competitive each season, because I think it'll be conducive to success for both programs.

It's been really weird how that has happened over the years for these two great programs, but now it seems both programs have finally come to this point where each year should be a very competitive game......the way a rivalry game should be every year. Growth in Celina is now at the door. I suspect it won't be long to see them in DI and perhaps shoot right past Argyle in enrollment numbers like the Frisco schools.

Leopard4Life
08-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Might want to tap those brakes... Argyle will have their hands full with a playoff caliber 5A team. The last few years Argyle struggled with Denison once (Lovejoy toyed with Denison that year) and Cleburne. Neither of which are 5A powers. This is a smart game for Argyle to schedule. Lovejoy lost a lot from last year and had a new coaching staff/system. I believe this is a one year contract so Argyle is looking for a good game, but also a 5A team with vulnerabilities. Lovejoys defense looks much improved under the new coaching staff so this should be a good test for Argyle fast tempo O.

d0tc0m
08-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Might want to tap those brakes... Argyle will have their hands full with a playoff caliber 5A team. The last few years Argyle struggled with Denison once (Lovejoy toyed with Denison that year) and Cleburne. Neither of which are 5A powers. This is a smart game for Argyle to schedule. Lovejoy lost a lot from last year and had a new coaching staff/system. I believe this is a one year contract so Argyle is looking for a good game, but also a 5A team with vulnerabilities. Lovejoys defense looks much improved under the new coaching staff so this should be a good test for Argyle fast tempo O.

I said I doubt it matters to Argyle that Lovejoy is 5A ... as in they won't be intimidated. And I said I THINK it could be a big win/momentum starter for the Eagles. Didn't say it'd be easy, and certainly didn't imply it was a sure thing. Can't apply much more pressure to the breaks than that.

Leopard4Life
08-14-2016, 04:15 PM
I said I doubt it matters to Argyle that Lovejoy is 5A ... as in they won't be intimidated. And I said I THINK it could be a big win/momentum starter for the Eagles. Didn't say it'd be easy, and certainly didn't imply it was a sure thing. Can't apply much more pressure to the breaks than that.

Fair enough

d0tc0m
08-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Fair enough

Where do you envision Lovejoy will finish in that tough district this year?

Aguilafanatico
08-14-2016, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't consider last year a "struggle" with Denison. 50-33 final Denison scored two long TDs in the 4th vs backups when the game had been decided for some time. Yes, 2014 at Jerryworld was a struggle (long pass to Ledford who was playing receiver) with seconds left won the game for the Eagles. However, it seems like every game in 2014 was close for Argyle. That said, Lovejoy will be no cake-walk. Argyle lost a lot to graduation so they will need these early season games to work some things out I expect.

Leopard4Life
08-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Where do you envision Lovejoy will finish in that tough district this year?

Anywhere between 2 and 4.

Highland Park will be the team to beat but I see WE or Lovejoy being the two in the district with a shot out handing them a loss, it's an outside shot but those two teams have the best punchers chance.
Wylie East moved their RB to QB so they must have an additional running threat, because Eno Benjamin isn't too much of a passing threat and they graduated a lot.
Poteet has slipped in the past few years, but are still a tough team with athletes all over the field.
Royce City and Forney are both dark horses that could hand a playoff team a loss or two if they catch them sleeping.
The other two (West Mesquite and North Forney) are cellar dwellers).

Lovejoy has a young offense and it may take a few games to get things sinked up, that's why I think Argyle selected this game. I saw the intra-squad scrimmage and believe Argyle had a scout of two there and I expect the same at the Denton scrimmage. None the existing players at Lovejoy or Argyle know these two teams have any history and there are very few Lovejoy coaches left from the last time we played Argyle.

Aguilafanatico
08-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Anywhere between 2 and 4.

Highland Park will be the team to beat but I see WE or Lovejoy being the two in the district with a shot out handing them a loss, it's an outside shot but those two teams have the best punchers chance.
Wylie East moved their RB to QB so they must have an additional running threat, because Eno Benjamin isn't too much of a passing threat and they graduated a lot.
Poteet has slipped in the past few years, but are still a tough team with athletes all over the field.
Royce City and Forney are both dark horses that could hand a playoff team a loss or two if they catch them sleeping.
The other two (West Mesquite and North Forney) are cellar dwellers).

Lovejoy has a young offense and it may take a few games to get things sinked up, that's why I think Argyle selected this game. I saw the intra-squad scrimmage and believe Argyle had a scout of two there and I expect the same at the Denton scrimmage. None the existing players at Lovejoy or Argyle know these two teams have any history and there are very few Lovejoy coaches left from the last time we played Argyle.

I am having a hard time following your logic that Argyle agreed to a pre-district game with Lovejoy due to Lovejoy's offense being young.

Gsquared
08-15-2016, 06:51 AM
No way im missing this game. Maybe a little Hutchins BBQ before and then head to Lucas for some Saturday night football.

Gsquared
08-15-2016, 07:24 AM
No way im missing this game. Maybe a little Hutchins BBQ before and then head to Lucas for some Saturday night football.

Ooops, meant head to Allen, figure the lights would be off in Lucas...

Leopard4Life
08-15-2016, 08:16 AM

Leave really early for Hutchins, that place is packed all the time. If you ever get a chance check out Big Ray's in Allen (much closer to the stadium). The ribs and turkey are my favorite and they have the best beans around.

Leopard4Life
08-15-2016, 08:20 AM
I am having a hard time following your logic that Argyle agreed to a pre-district game with Lovejoy due to Lovejoy's offense being young.

My logic is that Argyle's coach likes tough pre-district games, but he also doesn't like to lose because it affects the kids confidence and his lifetime win/loss record. Lovejoy has a sophomore QB that has only taken a few Varsity snaps and this is the first game of the season, also Lovejoy lost 4 FBS players to graduation leaving only one player with FBS offers on the roster.

Leopard4Life
08-15-2016, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't consider last year a "struggle" with Denison. 50-33 final Denison scored two long TDs in the 4th vs backups when the game had been decided for some time. Yes, 2014 at Jerryworld was a struggle (long pass to Ledford who was playing receiver) with seconds left won the game for the Eagles. However, it seems like every game in 2014 was close for Argyle. That said, Lovejoy will be no cake-walk. Argyle lost a lot to graduation so they will need these early season games to work some things out I expect.

Totally agree that they blew Denison out the second time, that's why I wrote:

"The last few years Argyle struggled with Denison once (Lovejoy toyed with Denison that year)"

Tom Foolery
08-15-2016, 03:37 PM
My logic is that Argyle's coach likes tough pre-district games, but he also doesn't like to lose because it affects the kids confidence and his lifetime win/loss record. Lovejoy has a sophomore QB that has only taken a few Varsity snaps and this is the first game of the season, also Lovejoy lost 4 FBS players to graduation leaving only one player with FBS offers on the roster.

What coach does like to lose? I doubt one pre-district game will dramatically affect his career won/ lose record and will not affect his team's confidence. You are way over-thinking the scheduling of this game.

Aguilafanatico
08-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Hmm. OK. Argyle lost 4 FBS players this year, 1 the previous year and 6 the year before and that's with a High School enrollment of less than 700. Lucas Lovejoy enrollment is 1,200. I'm not sure where you get that Coach Rodgers likes to avoid potential losses in pre-district due to confidence and win/loss. Have you spoken to him? Pre-district the last 3 years for Argyle are below:

2013 - @ Abilene Wylie
vs. Nolan Catholic (TAPPS state champion that year)
vs. Paris
@ Kennedale
2014 - vs. Abilene Wylie
Denison (Jerryworld)
vs. Celina
@ Graham
@ Paris
2015 - @ Abilene Wylie
@ Denison
@ Celina
vs Graham
vs Paris
Last year it was two of the best 4A teams and 5A Denison on the road before playing Graham and Paris, both coming off playoff runs the previous year. If you check with Grant he will tell you that he was picking Graham to win it all last year (remember Grant?). All but a handful of games the last 3 years could have been L's. In my experience, the coaches have always attempted to schedule a tough pre-district scheule to get the team ready to go for season 2 and season 3. I am fairly certain that Coach Rodgers didn't look at Lovejoy's roster, break down all the players that graduated, then scouted those replacing them before agreeing to this game. If basing decisions on wins/losses in pre-district was part of the motive, then I suggest that the Argyle Coaches wouldn't have scheduled LoveJoy at all.

Should be a great early-season barometer for both teams.

Leopard4Life
08-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Didn't Argyle scrimmage Denton? How did the scrimmage go? I heard some feedback from the Denton players and coaches, just wanted to know Argyles take on the scrimmage.

regaleagle
08-22-2016, 02:30 AM
Well.....since you heard something and brought it up on this forum, don't you think we should all be interested in hearing it??? It might make for some interesting posts. Don't leave us wondering.....

Leopard4Life
08-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Well.....since you heard something and brought it up on this forum, don't you think we should all be interested in hearing it??? It might make for some interesting posts. Don't leave us wondering.....

Denton players told the Lovejoy players they weren't impressed with Argyle (paraphrasing and keeping it clean) and thought Lovejoy should win easily. The position coach said that Argyles 1's were good but there wasn't much depth and there is a noticeable drop off with the 2's and 3's. He also said that Lovejoy and Argyle both ran limited plays / schemes and neither team tipped their hand.

Lovejoy 5 - Denton 2 in the controlled portion and Denton 1 - Lovejoy 0 in the timed portion. Off-Sides and False Starts were sloppy by both teams, but that is normal for scrimmages and pre-district.

Aguilafanatico
08-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Denton players told the Lovejoy players they weren't impressed with Argyle (paraphrasing and keeping it clean) and thought Lovejoy should win easily. The position coach said that Argyles 1's were good but there wasn't much depth and there is a noticeable drop off with the 2's and 3's. He also said that Lovejoy and Argyle both ran limited plays / schemes and neither team tipped their hand.

Lovejoy 5 - Denton 2 in the controlled portion and Denton 1 - Lovejoy 0 in the timed portion. Off-Sides and False Starts were sloppy by both teams, but that is normal for scrimmages and pre-district.

Dang-it. The truth is out. Argyle..........(whatever Leopard4Life is paraphrasing) and has no chance vs the juggernaut Lovejoy program. Coach Rodgers had been pointing this team towards that huge mid-August scrimmage vs Denton since the state championship game ended. Maybe he didn't have his team peaking soon enough for this huge scrimmage? Maybe they peaked too early, potentially during summer lifting?? Maybe it was the bonfire before the big scrimmage??? The fact that the Denton players came away unimpressed (paraphrasing) with Argyle has the Eagles players and coaches despondent and looking for answers. The season is likely lost. Of note, Argyle defeated Denton in the live sections from what I was told, 3-3 in controlled. I don't really put much into scrimmages. So you guys beat Denton 5-3. Expect a hangover?

d0tc0m
08-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Dang-it. The truth is out. Argyle..........(whatever Leopard4Life is paraphrasing) and has no chance vs the juggernaut Lovejoy program. Coach Rodgers had been pointing this team towards that huge mid-August scrimmage vs Denton since the state championship game ended. Maybe he didn't have his team peaking soon enough for this huge scrimmage? Maybe they peaked too early, potentially during summer lifting?? Maybe it was the bonfire before the big scrimmage??? The fact that the Denton players came away unimpressed (paraphrasing) with Argyle has the Eagles players and coaches despondent and looking for answers. The season is likely lost. Of note, Argyle defeated Denton in the live sections from what I was told, 3-3 in controlled. I don't really put much into scrimmages. So you guys beat Denton 5-3. Expect a hangover?

#MakeArgyleGreatAgain

Aguilafanatico
08-22-2016, 06:39 PM
#MakeArgyleGreatAgain

:fnypost:

Leopard4Life
08-23-2016, 10:38 AM

You may want to follow the conversation a little more before you get butt hurt. I asked about the scrimmage, but instead of an answer I got a question. I answered the question based off what I saw, heard and was told. I don't put a lot into scrimmages either because good coaches don't care if they win a scrimmage.

http://www.texasfootball.com/scrimmages-in-texas-dont-panic-just-yet/

Never did I say this was a juggernaut Lovejoy Program, but it is a better program than the two 5A's Argyle has played in the last few years. Argyle could easily win this game, especially if they have a large, athletic line (as posted above). Lovejoy lost a 4 year starting FBS QB who is now a Houston after passing on multiple other FBS programs (Clemson and Ohio State to name a few). This is probably one of the most undersized Lovejoy teams I've ever seen, but the players have been getting smaller and smaller since we moved up from 3A (now 4A) but they still seem to be relatively successful. Both teams lost a lot from last year so we will find out more on Saturday.

Gsquared
08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
The loser of this argument has to buy me an RC Cola and a hot dog or nachos Saturday night.

d0tc0m
08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
You may want to follow the conversation a little more before you get butt hurt. I asked about the scrimmage, but instead of an answer I got a question. I answered the question based off what I saw, heard and was told. I don't put a lot into scrimmages either because good coaches don't care if they win a scrimmage.

http://www.texasfootball.com/scrimmages-in-texas-dont-panic-just-yet/

Never did I say this was a juggernaut Lovejoy Program, but it is a better program than the two 5A's Argyle has played in the last few years. Argyle could easily win this game, especially if they have a large, athletic line (as posted above). Lovejoy lost a 4 year starting FBS QB who is now a Houston after passing on multiple other FBS programs (Clemson and Ohio State to name a few). This is probably one of the most undersized Lovejoy teams I've ever seen, but the players have been getting smaller and smaller since we moved up from 3A (now 4A) but they still seem to be relatively successful. Both teams lost a lot from last year so we will find out more on Saturday.

#MakeLovejoyGreatAgain

Aguilafanatico
08-23-2016, 12:29 PM
The loser of this argument has to buy me an RC Cola and a hot dog or nachos Saturday night.

No losers here and no debate. I'm just having some fun. It's boring out there.
I won't be at the game as will be traveling. I think you still owe a couple of us Argyllians a beer though, so will plan to collect at some point. Maybe Fuzzy's?

Gsquared
08-23-2016, 12:39 PM
No losers here and no debate. I'm just having some fun. It's boring out there.
I won't be at the game as will be traveling. I think you still owe a couple of us Argyllians a beer though, so will plan to collect at some point. Maybe Fuzzy's?

Yeah, I think I do owe you boys a beer or two. Fuzzy's works for me!

BlueBleeder3
08-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Argyle got a giant OL transfer from Denton Guyer, he is a difference maker. Argyle seems to get these types of move ins every year. It definitely will pay off again this year !

Leopard4Life
08-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Pending any unforeseen travel I will be there Saturday. I'll flip you for concessions.

Gsquared
08-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Pending any unforeseen travel I will be there Saturday. I'll flip you for concessions.

Deal!

Aguilafanatico
08-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I think I do owe you boys a beer or two. Fuzzy's works for me!

How about Fuzzy's 9/9 for the Celina game? Assume you will be making that one and maybe dotcom shows up? Have fun at the game Saturday.

d0tc0m
08-25-2016, 11:00 AM
How about Fuzzy's 9/9 for the Celina game? Assume you will be making that one and maybe dotcom shows up? Have fun at the game Saturday.

Aww heck, I'm gonna see what I can do to make the long drive down from Missouri for that week. Hard to pass up a Fuzzy's opportunity, too. But I've got a 14-month old boy and a newborn boy, so, logistically, travel is tough right now.

But, man ... that will be such an appealing matchup.

Aguilafanatico
08-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Aww heck, I'm gonna see what I can do to make the long drive down from Missouri for that week. Hard to pass up a Fuzzy's opportunity, too. But I've got a 14-month old boy and a newborn boy, so, logistically, travel is tough right now.

But, man ... that will be such an appealing matchup.

#MakeDotcomMobileAgain

d0tc0m
08-25-2016, 02:55 PM
#MakeDotcomMobileAgain

Maybe I'll start a GoFundMe to get down there for the game. Or do any of you Downlowers have a private jet or a nice charter you could loan me? I'm sure there's some kind of charitable tax write off we could come up with.