PDA

View Full Version : Allen HC Tom Westerberg headed to Barbers Hill

jason
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/2016/01/05/allen-coach-tom-westerberg-headed-barbers-hill/78317942/

Allen Football Coach Tom Westerberg has been lured away to Barbers Hill.

The Class 5A school in southeast Texas has had a "Who's Who" of coaches on its wish list, and four-time state champion coach Westerberg has been a primary target according to multiple sources. Former Lewisville state champion coach Ronnie Gage retired at Barbers Hill in December. Barbers Hill, 35 miles east of Houston, was 4-6 in Gage's sixth season andhasn't reached the playoffs since 2012. The Eagles haven't been past the second round since 1999. Barbers Hill won state championships in 1971 and 1976 in Class A.

Westerberg's name has been prominent in several past college and high school coaching searches but he has stayed head coach at Allen where in 12 years he has four state titles, including three in a row from 2012-13-14. Austin Westlake beat Allen 23-14 in a 6A Division I Texas state semifinal to end the Eagles' 57-game winning streak.

The departure of Tom Westerberg comes as a shock to the high school football community.

Why'd Westerberg leave?

Barbers Hill is a less-hectic place to live and they're going to pay somewhere from $130,000-$150,000 for Westerberg to be athletic director and head coach. He made about $115,000 per year in Allen. Westerberg will also be able to bring his son, Kyle Westerberg, who was a first-year offensive coordinator at Allen last season.

Who's Next at Allen?

Waco Midway's Terry Gambill and San Antonio Brandeis' Jeff Fleener. Gambill is former Allen defensive coordinator for 2008 and has success at Midway. Fleener left just last year for San Antonio Brandeis after being Allen offensive coordinator. Gambill and Fleener were both very popular in Allen community and have all the coaching pedigree needed.

The Allen ISD released an announcement Tuesday afternoon about Westerberg's departure:

Allen High School head football coach and assistant athletic director, Tom Westerberg, has accepted a position as athletic director and head football coach for Barbers Hill ISD in Mont Belvieu, Texas east of Houston.

Westerberg came to Allen in 2001 as assistant head football coach/offensive coordinator under head coach Joe Martin. He assumed the head coaching position in 2004 and added assistant athletic director duties in 2007. Since that time he has built a coaching record of 148-17 in Allen with state championships in 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2014. He was also named National Coach of the Year in 2014 by the National High School Coaches Association.

Westerberg spoke with Allen coaches and players today expressing gratitude for the support and high level of excellence they have exhibited over the past 12 years.

"I have been fortunate to be part of a program here in Allen that has reached the highest level," said Westerberg. "I felt it was a good time to pursue the opportunity to become an athletic director. The position of athletic director/head football coach at Barbers Hill gives me the opportunity to do that and still be involved with football."

"It has been awesome watching the Allen program grow," he added. "The parents, the fans, the school district and of course the players all make Allen a very special place to be and I can't express my appreciation enough for the chance to coach here."

Superintendent Lance Hindt summarized the feelings of many in saying "we are sorry to see Tom go but we understand his desire to advance in his career. Beyond the success that he has helped bring to our football program, Tom has run the program with integrity and positively influenced the lives of hundreds of athletes and coaches. We wish him well in his new administrative and coaching position."

"We want to thank Tom for all he's done for the program," added Steve Williams, Allen ISD Athletic Director. "He took over a good program and carried it to a different level with four state championships to show for it."

Westerberg will assume his new role in Barbers Hill later this month. Allen ISD will begin the search for a new head football coach and assistant athletic director immediately.

jason
01-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Terry Gambill was at Forney (as a DC or OC) when they had their glory days in early 2000's...

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2016, 09:27 AM
The Superintendant at Barbers Hill is a Cameron Yoeman. Westerberg started his coaching career at Cameron.

Sweetwater Red
01-06-2016, 09:47 AM
It wasn't that long ago that BH was courting Hugh Sandifer.

coach
01-06-2016, 10:34 AM
The Superintendant at Barbers Hill is a Cameron Yoeman. Westerberg started his coaching career at Cameron.

My uncle coaches in Barbers Hill. He said they looked long and hard at Cameron Yoe's current coach.

I also heard they were interested in Coach Surratt in Carthage.

Apparently some of the Allen's parents were unhappy with Westerberg bc he didn't win state this year. He said enough is enough and called Barbers Hill and told them he was interested in the job. rumors are he will get paid 145k and his son will be the oc and he will get 100k.

waterboy
01-06-2016, 11:21 AM
He definitely got a raise, and a new start. The thing about winning for so long is, people start taking it for granted, and have unrealistic standards. Then they blame the head coach. He should've done this, or he should've done that... Johnny didn't get to play enough. Jimmy should've played a different position. Joe got special treatment. It happens at nearly every school that wins state championships, or comes close every year. I wouldn't be surprised if Allen drops off a little over the coming couple of seasons, but they will be back. Coach Westerberg will likely get Barbers Hill on the map rather quickly, and I wish him and his staff good luck.

coach
01-06-2016, 11:27 AM
I wonder who gets the Allen job? Todd Dodge? Me? Jason Garret? ( I Hope)

waterboy
01-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I wonder who gets the Allen job? Todd Dodge? Me? Jason Garret? ( I Hope)

Jerry Jones? :D You know he wants to be a head coach. He certainly ain't a successful general manager.

Yoe_09
01-06-2016, 01:32 PM
My uncle coaches in Barbers Hill. He said they looked long and hard at Cameron Yoe's current coach.

I also heard they were interested in Coach Surratt in Carthage.

Apparently some of the Allen's parents were unhappy with Westerberg bc he didn't win state this year. He said enough is enough and called Barbers Hill and told them he was interested in the job. rumors are he will get paid 145k and his son will be the oc and he will get 100k.

I think anyone looking for one of the top coaches in the state would probably have to look real hard at people like Rhoades and Surratt. I'm not sure Rhoades really wants to leave Cameron, though. Job security is not an issue at all, cost of living is low, and he is one of the highest payed small school coaches (and I would anticipate another raise of some sort). You add all that up with the talent to continue to compete at the highest level, and it's something that's hard to step away from.

Undoubtedly and good hire for BH, though.

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Well then I would have had to kick my former teammate's (the Super) butt for stealing Cameron's coach.

Also you are perfectly welcome to call Cameron "Cameron".

I don't know where/how this "Cameron Yoe" crap got started.

waterboy
01-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Well then I would have had to kick my former teammate's (the Super) butt for stealing Cameron's coach.

Kind of like Waco Midway? :D It took years for the media to finally start calling it Hewitt Midway.

It's the name of the high school in Cameron, right? It comes with the territory..., nearest town, then high school name...

Cam
01-06-2016, 03:38 PM
I heard Johanna Kurkela was applying for this position....but that came from Greendawg...and he's a lyin' sumbitch!......:vrycnfsd:

greendawg84
01-07-2016, 09:34 AM
I never lie ..... less I have to !

jason
01-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Former forney coach...
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/01/18/allen-finds-new-football-coach-waco-midways-terry-gambill

Rabid Cougar
01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Former forney coach...
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/01/18/allen-finds-new-football-coach-waco-midways-terry-gambill

Coming from Midway he will fit right in.

coach
01-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Blame it on Charles Foster. Thats all he takls about.