PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Title Games

mac77
12-25-2015, 07:54 AM
My brother and I spent all day Saturday watching some great HS football at NRG Stadium. But something we both noticed by the end of the day. Has every spread offense become the same 4 or 5 plays run from 800 different formations whose only variations are some type of motion? They used to say that the slot T, winged T and veer were boring. HA! You can only watch the QB counter run by the same guy from the same formation before even a 7th grade "B" team could read it and make a tackle for no gain!

Just some ranting from an old coach who now watches from the outside.

YTBulldogs
12-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Great post Mac.

My take from all 10 games I seen at NRG. Team's with the faster defenses had the best success, regardless the offenses ran at them. So, speed for the most part was the difference IMO. I'm old school, and still believe defenses win championship's. Even in today's all spread out O's.

mac77
12-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Great post Mac.

My take from all 10 games I seen at NRG. Team's with the faster defenses had the best success, regardless the offenses ran at them. So, speed for the most part was the difference IMO. I'm old school, and still believe defenses win championship's. Even in today's all spread out O's.

I agree do doubt! But that's also why some of those spread teams looked so anemic in some games. Katy was a good example of a great defense keeping an "explosive" offense looking rather inept.

Rabid Cougar
12-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Had an interesting conversation with a my son . BYU's head coach left to go coach at Virginia. BYU was very interested in highering Navy's coach as their new HC. When they intrviewed that asked him would he switch to the Spread intead of running an Option heavy scheme. Navy's coach said he woud not. He has run the Option for 18 years and was not going to change. BYU's AD was not happy with that because there is hardly any high schools that run that style of offense these days. Kids dont want to play that way.

Subsequently, they went their seperate ways.

buckeyebob
12-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Spread for us has been very good...I find it to be everything but boring

Dawgs
12-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Spread for us has been very good...I find it to be everything but boring

Jeff Traylor's spread had a power run game aspect to it. He didn't just line up and run the same 4 or 5 plays out of different formations like the OP is talking about. From watching it in several occasions it was very sophisticated. And those special years where he had a passing game that could beat you vertically it was trouble.

I agree with OP poster. In many cases the spread is just boring. Same thing over and over.

Celina8
12-27-2015, 01:15 PM
As more and more high schools go to the spread and thus colleges too, many coaches in the NFL are complaining that the QB's are not able to transition to the NFL. Many are not able to call plays at the line of scrimage as they were trained to look to the sideline as the Coaches made the adjustments or audibles and the QB did not have to read the Defenses as much as the Pro Style offenses require. Just currious if we will see the NFL transition their style of play to match what everyone else is now doing.

Rabid Cougar
12-27-2015, 03:21 PM
I agree with OP poster. In many cases the spread is just boring. Same thing over and over.

Have you ever seen a Power I, Veer, Wing T, or Slot T really work? Same thing over and over and over. We ran the Wing T in high school. When we played Westlake my senior year and were down 10-0 at half. Coach came in and tore up the play sheet. We ran two plays the entire second half. 28 Sweep /29 Sweep. Won 28-10. Brutal efficiency. it wasn't the only time we did that.

mac77
12-27-2015, 05:47 PM
I only noticed these offenses because a few of the more powerful ones were pretty much shut down and the play calling didn't seem to change.

When I coached, our base offense was the Multiple I offense that La Marque was successful with in the 90's. But every week we adjusted to the personnel we faced and the personnel we had available to us. Over the years, we added a lot of wrinkles that made us even more "multiple" than the original playbook. Did we become boring at times? Yes. In 2006, we had a RB that went nearly 500 yards on about 100 carries over two consecutive games. We must have run the "Stretch" and the "G" about 90 % of the time in those games. If they couldn't stop it, we kept running it. That's a lot different from running the zone read and the QB counter the entire game and not get 100 yards rushing for the game.

I guess I better shut up now. I starting to sound like an old squeaky wheel!