PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of the season.

clcannon17
12-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Well the 2015 season is over, so congratulations to La Vega and West Orange Stark on winning state.
I am curious what your favorite moment or game this season was. If you can't then list off several (because I will). I also would like to know what made this particular team special to you. And if you like put your player of the year.

Now as far as I am concerned, the best part of our team was the fight that this team had. It went far beyond any other season, with two exceptions, that I have ever seen. They never quit. They fought until the very end. I now have nothing but hope for this team in the future.

Top 5 moments of the season.

5. Brownwood vs. Wylie (Both games)
What is there to say about these games that already hadn't been said. Two great programs flex their defensive muscles in front of a great crowd. Every person was on the edge of their seat and both came down to the very end. Only reason this isn't higher is Brownwood lost both games. (We'll get you next year ;) )

4. Gavin Jefferson 96 yard run vs. Stephenville (Honorable Mention-Safety in the first quarter)
What can I say. This kid is fast! He blew the game wide open in a 12-6 ballgame. Never looked back. (This game also started great as well. With Brownwood's defense putting up quite a start.) Also, "The Battle of 377" needs a trophy. Too many good games for it too not have one.

3. Shutting down Liberty Hill in the second half.
This is when Brownwood's defense really stepped up and became the most dominant asset of this team.

2. Not folding under pressure [Graham (game 2), Andrews]
Several times in the second Graham game, Graham had several opportunities to pull away, but Brownwood never folded, and even included a blocked chip shot field goal. The next week on a big third down and long, Grant Lewis had a spectacular run for a first down that allowed us to run down the clock. Had he not, Andrews would've had a very good shot at the win.

1. Going up 22-0 on then #4 Graham
In a game where we were supposed to not even compete in, Brownwood quickly shot off to a 22 point lead en-route to a 59-53 win. I remember sitting listening to the game with my dad, both of us silent and in shock.

Player of the year for Brownwood has to be Grant Lewis though. His leadership along with his talent on both sides of the ball definitely launched Brownwood back into the spotlight.

It's been a really good year, and I am looking forward to next year unlike any other season before. Go Brownwood.

Dawgs
12-20-2015, 12:42 AM
In 2014 Carthage went 6-6 on the season after losing a group of seniors in 2013 who won a state championship. Those seniors pretty much lead our program from 2011 until 2013 (3 years) after Carthage won 3 titles in a row. I think after we lost that group and went 6-6, starting the season 1-5, a lot of people wondered was it over?

clcannon17
12-20-2015, 12:53 AM
In 2014 Carthage went 6-6 on the season after losing a group of seniors in 2013 who won a state championship. Those seniors pretty much lead our program from 2011 until 2013 (3 years) after Carthage won 3 titles in a row. I think after we lost that group and went 6-6, starting the season 1-5, a lot of people wondered was it over?

Trust me. I will never underestimate a Carthage team again, even with a below .500 team.
And congrats on the great season!

Dawgs
12-20-2015, 01:04 AM
In 2014 Carthage went 6-6 on the season after losing a group of seniors in 2013 who won a state championship. Those seniors pretty much lead our program from 2011 until 2013 (3 years) after Carthage won 3 titles in a row. I think after we lost that group and went 6-6, starting the season 1-5, a lot of people wondered was it over? Was it just a special 6 years? Then we started off slow once again. A lot better than the previous season, but still not that "Carthage" good we had all grown so accustomed to. Carthage is notoriously slow starters, and it usually takes 4 or 5 weeks to get all the kinks worked out of such a complicated scheme. But in week 7 we got beat by Kilgore, in a game we looked very sloppy. Nobody was happy after that lose. The coaches, players, or fan base. This group of seniors had a players only meeting, and some leaders stepped up. They decided they wanted to leave a lasting legacy, and knew they hadn't reached there potential in 2 seasons. They decided it would stop right there. And then we went on "The Run". You could see each week building confidence. It was an awesome run. Our offense caught fire, and from week 7 until the semi-final game with La Vega was possibly the best any Carthage offense has ever played over a 7 week period. The biggest moment of the season was our win over Navasota stopping their win streak, and gutting there defense for almost 600 yards. That game was an instant classic and will be remembered in Carthage for a long, long time. Unfortunately we were riddled with injuries during this season, and simply ran out of steam by the time we played La Vega in the semi-finals. It's hard to sustain that level of play offensively. With 9 starters out, and running on fumes we got it handed to us our last game of the season. It stung for a little while, but now it's an after thought on what was an awesome and very exciting season. These seniors put Carthage back where we want to be, and set the program up for success once again. We found another group of super sophomores this year, that will carry us back to an elite program over the next couple of years. The future is once again bright in Carthage, thanks to this group of seniors that made up their mind they were going to win after a loss in week 7. Awesome season.

Dawgs
12-20-2015, 01:06 AM
Trust me. I will never underestimate a Carthage team again, even with a below .500 team.
And congrats on the great season!
I accidentally posted without finishing! I had a long post, and ran out of time to edit the one I accidentally posted. Had a lot to say about this season 😀😀.

WOS87
12-20-2015, 03:21 AM
For me personally (god, I sound like I'm answering a Miss America question)...

1. Being alive and finally being able to see some games live since I was in the hospital and ICU for 9 weeks November through January of last year having to listen from a hospital bed in 2014 with crappy wi-fi and unable to work until May of this year. I appreciate life 1000% more than I ever have before.
2. WOS winning State obviously
3. Getting to meet 44INAROW finally and seeing legendary Cuero in person.
4. Getting to see my team have the honor of playing equally legendary Celina in person.
5. Getting to know some pretty darn good people even better than I knew them before from this site from all over the state and other sites and media outlets as well. Thank you all for being here! I never would have imagined the number of friends I would make since I shyly joined the 3ADownLow 10 years ago as my nerdy math team president self who just happened to like football with the scary mods who yelled at people ;).

In regards to favorite games and moments which was the actual question (does this have to be about my team?):

1. Bringing a team that had only 1 Junior QB (who was a 3rd-string sophomore backup at the beginning of 2014) returning as starter on offense and scoring the most points in a season in our history (671 points) and winning it all. FINALLY not losing THAT game... not being considered the inconsistent one, and actually being a favorite and succeeding for the first time in 28 years.
2. Checking Celina, Cuero and Bellville off my bucket list of teams to watch play in person and beating all of them.
3. Seeing the tenacity of our team against yet again Celina, Cuero and Bellville who were the only teams that had a lead against us in the playoffs. Bellville and Cuero were both only behind by 5 points at half. Celina would definitely had a few more points on the board with their uninjured QB in the game but who knows?
4. Bouncing back from a pretty bad beat down from Richmond Foster to avenge a loss to 2014 State Finalist Newton.
5. Seeing a community that has suffered through two major hurricanes in the past 10 years dropping from 5A to 3A over the past 30 years coming together and being able to celebrate something instead of mourn.

God Bless and Merry Christmas! Everyone be safe!

regaleagle
12-20-2015, 03:30 AM
I would have to admit the Argyle/LE game may have been the very best of the season in either classification.....and there were many others.

clcannon17
12-20-2015, 09:13 AM
I would have to admit the Argyle/LE game may have been the very best of the season in either classification.....and there were many others.

There were many great games this year. Brownwood/Graham in the playoffs. As far as non-Brownwood games, Wylie and Argyle was really good.

chaingang
12-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Im going to echo 87's comments about finally getting to see Cuero and Celina(and actually play them back to back). Lots of hardware and tradition between WOS/Cuero/Celina. 3 teams synonomous with the legend of TXHSFB.

speedbump
12-20-2015, 12:59 PM

Probably not - the El Campo / Silsbee game had several lead changes before silsbee scored on the final play of the game and went for and made the 2 point conversion giving them a 43-42 victory.

Dawgs
12-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Probably not - the El Campo / Silsbee game had several lead changes before silsbee scored on the final play of the game and went for and made the 2 point conversion giving them a 43-42 victory.

That sounded like an awesome game for sure. I was very surprised when I looked at the end of that game. Heartbreaking for EC. 2 great games in Region 3 that week. The Carthage Navasota game that week was the best I have seen since Carthage Brownwood in 2010. Great games are always in the eye of the beholder. Most of the time fans will think the game their team was a part of is the best. A lot of great games in 4a this year. This was an awesome season. Just so much parity right now. A lot of excellent programs in the class.