PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated in Boerne

GreyhoundDad
12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
I have watched Boerne Greyhound football for several years now and have grown frustrated with our defense. We need to run a defense that sole purpose is to beat Liberty Hill's wing T. We are about the same size school as LH. I don't think we are that different athletically. Last year our freshmen beat LH. By the time these freshmen are on varsity, they will not stand a chance of beating LH. This is not because of superior athletes. It is because in many running plays, pulling offensive linemen are 5-7 yards down field before they have to block someone. Our defensive coaches almost seem too proud to modify our defense as needed to stop a wing T. They are going to have to be smart and adapt if Boerne is ever going to get past LH and make any kind of run in the playoffs.

10ForTheWin
12-02-2015, 05:41 PM
I remember playing Boerne when they were in the same district as Navarro, and they struggled with the Slot-T then as well. That being said I don't think you could coach you D solely to beat just one team, especially when that one team runs an offense that few teams do. Now as it gets close to when you would compete against that team you may need to make key adjustments to have success stopping them. But you can't have your defensive game plan for the year focused on stopping a offense you may only run into once or twice.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

91 lion
12-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I have watched Boerne Greyhound football for several years now and have grown frustrated with our defense. We need to run a defense that sole purpose is to beat Liberty Hill's wing T. We are about the same size school as LH. I don't think we are that different athletically. Last year our freshmen beat LH. By the time these freshmen are on varsity, they will not stand a chance of beating LH. This is not because of superior athletes. It is because in many running plays, pulling offensive linemen are 5-7 yards down field before they have to block someone. Our defensive coaches almost seem too proud to modify our defense as needed to stop a wing T. They are going to have to be smart and adapt if Boerne is ever going to get past LH and make any kind of run in the playoffs.

Welcome to the Downlow GreyhoundDad! What you're asking is easier said than done. LH definitely have a good thing going and it takes years to perfect. The reason why you guys are more successful at the Jr High and 9th grade level against the Wing/Slot T of LH is because those (LH) kids are only 2-3 years into the system.....by the time of their Jr year, many of them have been running it for 5 years or so.....getting better as a unit each year. The other problem for you (all of us) is that there is usually only one school on your schedule that will run that offense, so your actual time-on-field prep is virtually non-existent, compared to preparing for more conventional offensive sets.

They can be beaten, but it usually takes a defensive coach that has played against it for years......and on the years when the stars align and the talent exceeds the system....look out.

Happy posting!

OLE'BULL
12-02-2015, 06:08 PM

It sounds to me like the bend but dont break mentality has too much bend in it and they are playing on their heels. We ran the Wing T in high school, I was a Defensive guy so we practiced against it alot in the summer during live scrimmages and portions of practice. We ran a very aggressive, attack style defense where we were downhill LB's and the D Line was shooting gaps. You have to cause disruption in the back field and at the LOS. You cant wait for them to get to you. There is some misdirection associated with the Wing T when talking counters, traps, counter traps, etc. so to stop it you have to get them off course. It isn't always the guy making the tackle who causes the big stop. It is usually the big uglies up front wreaking havoc. I played Middle LB and had some of the best defensive lineman in the state (in my eyes anyways). They have to be selfless and give up their bodies for the greater cause. Thats how you stop it (or in Liberty Hills case, slow it down). But if the D Coordinator is too afraid to miss big then you will never get him to change. And a defensive coordinator who wont take shots wont last long so maybe that will be what it takes. Good luck!

stardog
12-02-2015, 07:31 PM
La Vega stopped LH's slot-T last Friday night !!!

cookiemonster
12-02-2015, 08:57 PM
LH has made a 180 in my opinion as a program that has been an offense dominated program to a program that plays great defense. They tackle as well as any program in class 4A week in and week out.

stardog
12-02-2015, 09:03 PM
LH has made a 180 in my opinion as a program that has been an offense dominated program to a program that plays great defense. They tackle as well as any program in class 4A week in and week out.

what does this have to do with the offense slot-T ??

panfan
12-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Like most offenses LHS offense is only successful with a great oline. This year's line was scrappy but I'm guessing gave up 30-40 lbs and several inches in height. Last year's line was as close as we have been in a while to the 06 and 07 beef. They have to be able to generate that 3 yard push the entire game. LaVega just had us outsized up front and they stacked the box more fully than anyone has this season.
And yes defense the last few years has been very good.

ronwx5x
12-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Is this thread about Boerne? Welcome to the DownLow GreyhoundDad. Not many (any?) Boerne posters on here so you will have to defend yourself!

Cam
12-02-2015, 11:14 PM

Somebody from LH told me they like to take their best athletes and put them on defense....maybe that's why??....IDK.....

GUNHO
12-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Coach T at WO-S schedules teams in pre district who run the slot/wing T.Reason is all the teams in our district have gone to it so we get a lot of work on it before district.

Cam
12-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Like most offenses LHS offense is only successful with a great oline. This year's line was scrappy but I'm guessing gave up 30-40 lbs and several inches in height. Last year's line was as close as we have been in a while to the 06 and 07 beef. They have to be able to generate that 3 yard push the entire game. LaVega just had us outsized up front and they stacked the box more fully than anyone has this season.
And yes defense the last few years has been very good.

I asked my boy about how to defend the slot-T. When he played LB for Burnet in 2010 and 2011, his defenses only allowed LH to score 6 in 2010 and 16 in 2011....he said the D linemen had to be disciplined and play their gaps...the LB's had to know how to read the offensive linemen......He never thought it was that hard to defend but still hated playing against a good slot-T......I think it also helped to have smart LB's!!......and my boy was no dummy!!.....:D

navscanmaster
12-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Is this thread about Boerne? Welcome to the DownLow GreyhoundDad. Not many (any?) Boerne posters on here so you will have to defend yourself!
I guess I count now that I live in Boerne. Unless the hounds match up with Navasota, then I will have to wear the blue hat.

As for the slot T, Navasota used to have trouble with it, getting smoked by Caldwell a few years and LH in 07. The years of playing against Caldwell finally taught them how to defend it, by staying in the lanes, putting your best coverage athletes at DB on the receiver/TE, and getting off the blocks quickly. No need to consistently try to rush into the backfield because most slot T teams will not pass often enough to justify the upfield push. Locate the ball, stay home, and wrap up. Paid off last year when after a half of seeing it again and giving up yards and points, the Rattlers completely shut it down in the second half of the semifinals.

panfan
12-03-2015, 07:52 AM
This thread is particularly relevant. I read that there is a resurgence of run based offenses at the upper levels. What's old becomes new again.

pancho villa
12-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Get a job coaching at Boerne. Or maybe the kids just can't tackle because Dad passed on bad genes.

OLE'BULL
12-03-2015, 09:23 AM
We are now on to the slot T? Its very similar to the wing T, but not the same. Yes, you have to be disciplined but you can't be complacent. A "quick read" and then react Defense can stop it but you have to have the right Coordinator and the right personnel. Our D Ends were abnormally large and fast. One was 6'4"/245 lbs and ran a 4.63 forty. He was a scholarship player at UTEP. Our other End was 6'5"/235 lbs and ran a 4.70. He wasn't too sharp but he was a "Miami Guy", for those of you who know what that means. He was one bada$$ dude, not to be messed with. He played at Tyler JC for a year and then failed out, no surprise. What really helped us is that we had two of the perfect sized high school D Tackles. One was about 6'1"/250 lbs but fairly lean with good feet and was a 400+ lb bench presser. He played a couple years at Ranger JC. He would literally remove O Lineman from the path they were tacking and toss them to the side. If he didn't drink so much beer he would have played big time college ball. He had a cute little tradition of drinking 15 beers every night before a game. I wouldn't have believed him except he reeked on Friday mornings. I was also sent by our D coordinator once out to his house to tell him to quit that $hi% and he was asleep (passed out) and sure enough there were 15 empty beer cans on his coffee table. He claims the hangover motivated him to play hard/well/etc. and I never once noticed it affect his game, not once. The kid was a warrior. Sorry to get off subject, just thought yall would find that interesting! Our other D Tackle was 5'10''/185 lbs and fairly strong for his size. His strength was his speed, and what he had between the ears. He probably would have played LB in most defenses but he was SO good in our scheme we couldnt move him. He played a year or two at Prairie View. Our LB's were also large for a HS team. I was in the Middle- 6'2"/235, and ended up playing in college w/ our strongside LB who was 6'3"/240. Our weak side LB was 6'2"/220 lbs and walked on at Texas. Never played a down but had a great experience. One of our CB's walked on at Baylor. The other could have gone to a JC but went in to the Navy. Our SS played baseball at TCU but could have played at a smaller D-I school no doubt. Our FS played one week at Blinn but dropped the "N bomb" at practice and some the black guys started threatening him and chased him outta there, rightfully so. SO, after typing all of this 1) I want to go play some high school football again, with the above Defensive guys again! 2) It very much depends on your personnel when stopping the Wing T (or any scheme for that matter!) 3) We were probably an abnormally large/fast Defense that year. The Sinton fans will remember the '01 Brahmas. We had a hell of a game but Sinton ended up moving on!

GreyhoundDad
12-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Poncho Villa, I just want to thank you for the warm welcome to this forum and your very constructive comment. You would fit in very well on the 956 forum.

pancho villa
12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Poncho Villa, I just want to thank you for the warm welcome to this forum and your very constructive comment. You would fit in very well on the 956 forum.

Just doing my job

10ForTheWin
12-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I could've sworn his tornado jokes got him removed hmm...

pancho villa
12-03-2015, 11:19 AM
I could've sworn his tornado jokes got him removed hmm...

Sorry Chico

rb585
12-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I asked my boy about how to defend the slot-T. When he played LB for Burnet in 2010 and 2011, his defenses only allowed LH to score 6 in 2010 and 16 in 2011....he said the D linemen had to be disciplined and play their gaps...the LB's had to know how to read the offensive linemen......He never thought it was that hard to defend but still hated playing against a good slot-T......I think it also helped to have smart LB's!!......and my boy was no dummy!!.....:D

So he was adopted?

:evillol:

Gsquared
12-03-2015, 01:04 PM
When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks flick.

stardog
12-03-2015, 01:19 PM
So he was adopted?

He was cloned - so watch out there's two Cam's !!

LHPfactory
12-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Hello GreyhoundDad, In LH we have now been teaching the system for a few years to the youth league as well. The current Freshmen were the first group to experience this, Our Freshmen are real good, despite regularly playing about 35-40 kids on the 57 player roster this year and losing a big Running back to Varsity and losing another top back to an ACL tear, they were very dominant. Our Coaches are developing depth by getting more players on the field.

Something LH does that very few schools, if any our size do is true Offense and Defense Platooning. Our players only train for Offense or Defense when they are in High School, and yes we do put most of the top athletes on Defense these days, but still stock the O with good ones. However, absolutely no one goes both ways. Even Cedar Park plays their top players both ways, I think its impressive that LH can do this and still win like we do.

The issues we had in LaVega and vs Navasota last year was sustained execution at the point of attack, coupled with the LV & Navasota speed/size/athleticism was catastrophic to our Offense.

PS: Greyhound Dad, I run the Youth League in LH and the Hill Country Youth Football League. I would love to add a program that feeds into the Boerne Greyhounds to our Division I, which already includes LH, Lampasas, Burnet, Fredericksburg, and Marble Falls. If you know someone who is interested in this please have them contact me. I will PM my email.
Here is our league site: www.hillcountryyfl.com.

Thanks

GreyhoundDad
12-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your great comments. I was really just wanting to vent a little bit. I really appreciate your time. LHP factory, I will pass along the info.

Cam
12-03-2015, 10:54 PM
So he was adopted?

:tongue::tongue: