PDA

View Full Version : Paying for cable vs watching sports online

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2015, 11:16 PM
I am in the process of getting rid of my ATT Uverse TV subscription and making the switch to watching everything online. Have any of you done this yet? If so, what avenues have you found are best to watch the most sports for cheapest?

If you know someone who has any major cable company subscription, you can use their login credentials to gain access to watchespn where you'll have access to everything televised on ESPN and its affiliates, like SEC network. This gives me access to Monday night football. Typically the only problem with this is that the local teams are blacked out due to cable company's viewing agreements, but you can easily get around this by setting up a proxy server. Mine shows my IP address in San Jose, CA so only Oakland and San Fran are blacked out which is fine by me.

So now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch sports not currently covered by ESPN.

I could buy an HD antenna and catch all the locally televised college and NFL games for free less the cost of the antenna (which would include Sunday night football and some Thursday night games), but I wouldn't be able to watch any games online that aren't televised on NBC and CBS. Also, how do I catch Astros and Rockets games without paying for it?

Worst case scenario, I could pay for MLB.tv (130$ for whole season or 10.83$/month), NBA team pass (120$ for whole season or 10$/month), and NFL Sunday ticket (200$ for whole season or 16.66$/month), and it would still only cost me about 1/3 or what I pay annually for full blown cable(~1500$). And if you know someone who is a college student or military, you can use their credentials to get some pretty solid discounts.

As far as non-sports TV, I'm not too up to speed on the whole Netflix vs Amazon vs Hulu thing, but if I wanted to I could get all 3 for less than 30$/month, including the free 2-day shipping that comes with Amazon prime.

All in all, I could pay full price for all of the above and still spend half of what I spent on cable. I have no intentions of doing that though. I'll probably use the watchespn app for free, buy an HD antenna and buy MLB.tv for a 35% discount using someone else's credentials. I already pay for Hulu for my girlfriend and I know someone who lets me use their Netflix login info. I'll go to my friend's house when I want to catch a Rockets game or I can pay 7$ online to see any individual game.

So in summary, I pay 8$/month for hulu, 40$ for an HD antenna and approximately 100$ for MLB.tv and I basically have all the sports and general TV I could ever want.

Let me know if you guys have better ways of doing things, I'm just getting going. I'm open to any and all options.

I know sling TV and firstrowsports have online streaming but I haven't looked into it much yet. I also am a verizon wireless customer for my phone, so that may have some benefits as well? I know they have a streaming service as well.

Scoop27
11-25-2015, 11:28 PM
We've had DirecTV for 15 years here in Hungerford and have been satisfied. We don't have the highest price package but our monthly bill for 3 receivers (two with recorders) we play around $115 per month. My wife sometimes rents a movie since we don't have HBO or Showtime

Necked
11-25-2015, 11:33 PM
check for blackout restrictions with mlb.tv. I couldn't watch the Rangers or the Astros where I'm at, on get the radio guys.

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2015, 11:35 PM
check for blackout restrictions with mlb.tv. I couldn't watch the Rangers or the Astros where I'm at, on get the radio guys.

Have you set up a proxy server on your laptop? Mine shows me as being in San Jose, CA so only the A's and Giants are blacked out....

This site should tell you who is blacked out in your area based on your IP location: http://www.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/blackout.jsp

Tejastrue
11-25-2015, 11:37 PM
My question is why can't an Aggie figure this out on his own. How much is that GF costing you now?

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2015, 11:39 PM
My question is why can't an Aggie figure this out on his own. How much is that GF costing you now?

Do I not have it figured out? I just cancelled my service a couple hours ago. I've got decent options already but haven't wasted enough time exhausting all options. Figured one of you cheap a$$es would've already been through every option...

Tejastrue
11-25-2015, 11:51 PM
well why would one of us cheap asses want to help you...I thought all you guys were the bomb..in other words the smartest. Hookem...

Saggy Aggie
11-26-2015, 12:28 AM
well why would one of us cheap asses want to help you...I thought all you guys were the bomb..in other words the smartest. Hookem...

Yeah, well I know we're smarter... but I'm also lazy.... :) Which is why i'd rather you do it than me. You do the work, I reap the benefits, doesnt get much smarter than that. Comprende?

Gig 'Em...

Tejastrue
11-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Carry on...

Rabid Cougar
11-26-2015, 08:42 AM
I am in the process of getting rid of my ATT Uverse TV subscription and making the switch to watching everything online. Have any of you done this yet? If so, what avenues have you found are best to watch the most sports for cheapest?

If you know someone who has any major cable company subscription, you can use their login credentials to gain access to watchespn where you'll have access to everything televised on ESPN and its affiliates, like SEC network. This gives me access to Monday night football. Typically the only problem with this is that the local teams are blacked out due to cable company's viewing agreements, but you can easily get around this by setting up a proxy server. Mine shows my IP address in San Jose, CA so only Oakland and San Fran are blacked out which is fine by me.

So now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch sports not currently covered by ESPN.

I could buy an HD antenna and catch all the locally televised college and NFL games for free less the cost of the antenna (which would include Sunday night football and some Thursday night games), but I wouldn't be able to watch any games online that aren't televised on NBC and CBS. Also, how do I catch Astros and Rockets games without paying for it?

Worst case scenario, I could pay for MLB.tv (130$ for whole season or 10.83$/month), NBA team pass (120$ for whole season or 10$/month), and NFL Sunday ticket (200$ for whole season or 16.66$/month), and it would still only cost me about 1/3 or what I pay annually for full blown cable(~1500$). And if you know someone who is a college student or military, you can use their credentials to get some pretty solid discounts.

As far as non-sports TV, I'm not too up to speed on the whole Netflix vs Amazon vs Hulu thing, but if I wanted to I could get all 3 for less than 30$/month, including the free 2-day shipping that comes with Amazon prime.

All in all, I could pay full price for all of the above and still spend half of what I spent on cable. I have no intentions of doing that though. I'll probably use the watchespn app for free, buy an HD antenna and buy MLB.tv for a 35% discount using someone else's credentials. I already pay for Hulu for my girlfriend and I know someone who lets me use their Netflix login info. I'll go to my friend's house when I want to catch a Rockets game or I can pay 7$ online to see any individual game.

So in summary, I pay 8$/month for hulu, 40$ for an HD antenna and approximately 100$ for MLB.tv and I basically have all the sports and general TV I could ever want.

Let me know if you guys have better ways of doing things, I'm just getting going. I'm open to any and all options.

I know sling TV and firstrowsports have online streaming but I haven't looked into it much yet. I also am a verizon wireless customer for my phone, so that may have some benefits as well? I know they have a streaming service as well.

CliffsNotes please.

1st and goal
11-26-2015, 09:32 AM

You are dependent to cheat using someone else's account.

Again, You are dependent to cheat using someone else's commitment to get a discount. Hope your future significant other likes only sports or playing with rabbit ears.

Now that I see you have dropped the service, I would tell you that in life, there is no shortage of people who lie, cheat, or steal their way through life. These are not the ways of an Aggie. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I hope you work it out in your head. Yes, TV is too expensive and there are too many commercials. I'd recommend switching services or updating service every 2 years to take advantage of the first year having discounted rates and amortize.

1st and goal
11-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Hopefully, you'll come to your senses and rethink your issue.

Saggy Aggie
11-26-2015, 10:03 AM
You are dependent to cheat using someone else's account.

Again, You are dependent to cheat using someone else's commitment to get a discount. Hope your future significant other likes only sports or playing with rabbit ears.

Now that I see you have dropped the service, I would tell you that in life, there is no shortage of people who lie, cheat, or steal their way through life. These are not the ways of an Aggie. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I hope you work it out in your head. Yes, TV is too expensive and there are too many commercials. I'd recommend switching services or updating service every 2 years to take advantage of the first year having discounted rates and amortize.

LOL, maybe I wasn't clear. My girlfriend is in her last year at UH so I intend to use her login information. I wouldn't call that cheating. I pay for Hulu, so wouldn't call that cheating.

And it's not 'rabbit ears' anymore.... We're not in the Stone Age.... Suggest you look up what an HD antenna actually looks like.

I'm not telling people to cheat the system, but if you or your spouse or children or roommate are students or military, use the discount. That's what it's intended for.

You're still paying for the service....

Once again, why do they only need sports, I've given you multiple options for Local TV channels, movies and tv shows. HBO go is another option that I didn't mention earlier.

1st and goal
11-26-2015, 11:53 AM
LOL, maybe I wasn't clear. My girlfriend is in her last year at UH so I intend to use her login information. I wouldn't call that cheating. I pay for Hulu, so wouldn't call that cheating.

And it's not 'rabbit ears' anymore.... We're not in the Stone Age.... Suggest you look up what an HD antenna actually looks like.

I'm not telling people to cheat the system, but if you or your spouse or children or roommate are students or military, use the discount. That's what it's intended for.

You're still paying for the service....

Once again, why do they only need sports, I've given you multiple options for Local TV channels, movies and tv shows. HBO go is another option that I didn't mention earlier.

For me the DVR service is worth the price of admission, that and I like the MOTOGP motorcycle road racing world championship races. I wish I had more time to watch the Astros, enjoy it now before you have kids. :)

Saggy Aggie
11-26-2015, 12:35 PM
For me the DVR service is worth the price of admission, that and I like the MOTOGP motorcycle road racing world championship races. I wish I had more time to watch the Astros, enjoy it now before you have kids. :)

Already have a 4 year old, I take him to games with me.

don't really need dvr if all the episodes are online, but Amazon fire I think is what's it's called allows you to record episodes as well