PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/Newton for state

nxman
10-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Hello - to everyone who posts on this site. I've been viewing this site for a couple of years and this is my first post. Not because I'm not interested in voicing my opinion, but because my job doesn't give me the oppurtunity to view it continuosly. So, I'm rarely at liberty to see all posts, much less make a statement. I'm not an ex-coach and certainly not an expert on the game. At any rate, I'm very much a fan of 3A football, especially Southeast Texas football. To start I would like to give some additional credit to the founders and administraters of this site. What a great job and what a class act! The cleanest and most respectable site I've seen! Now, enough of the mushy stuff, down to the nitty gritty.

Jasper is, in my opinion, the best 3A team in the state, and they will capture the title on one condition - Mitchell stays healthy and plays. I don't see anyone else in the state, even Evereman or Sinton, stopping them. They've also shown great composure with the surprising forfeit to Newton. I know this is old news by now, but Jasper will be the true district champs in 20 3A, even if it's not on paper, and Newton knows this! This fact should fire up both teams from this point on.

Newton may be the best D-2 team in the state. It's difficult to make a real judgement on them because their defense has really only been tested twice that I can see. Once against Jasper, and the other against Bridge City. Both of those teams are powerful offensive teams. They should meet in the playoffs, and it's a shame that one of them will lose. Newton has a tremendous defense, so all you D-2 prospects don't be fooled by the numbers Jasper put up against them. Beware of the Newton Eagles! They also have a tremendous offense!! All D-1 prospects beware of Jasper! The Dawgs are coming for you!!!

I think both Jasper and Newton have a real deal shot at Texas Bowl championships from the same district. Newton has as good a team as I've seen them have in 15 years, even as good as the '98 state champs, and Jasper is twice that good. Of course, as I'm sure you can tell, I may be a little bias.

Good luck to all teams throughout the state, and let's pray for an injury free season to all.

Sorry for the long post! For those who disagree, please go easy on me! After all, it is my first.

P.S Also watch out for BC! They might catch you off guard (or tackle).

j_dog
10-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Wow, very impressive for a first post. I am sure this will generate comments from across the state. If Newton can get by Marlin, you may be correct about them.

Jasper is going to have its hands full if it can make it to teams like Sinton, Burnet, Everman, and in Region III Bridge City, or Barbers Hill, among others. Did you see those numbers BH just put up on Coldsprings!

Okay, I think Jasper does have a good chance to take it all, but it all has to be one step at a time. Woodville this week.

nxman
10-30-2002, 01:06 AM
Thanks for response. I agree J_dog. Newton has not gotten past Marlin in the past three years in the playoffs. Marlin has proven themselves as a powerhouse this year with a win over (correct me if I'm wrong) Ennis. I watched Newton play Marlin in the 2000 Regional, and Newton lost in a high scoring game. Marlin is a team with great tradition, great talent and great coaching. If Newton makes it to state, it may only be through Marlin. However, there are other very good quality teams for both to go through before they meet.

As for Jasper, I think they won't face anyone to really challenge them until they reach the quaterfinal stage. However, I don't know what the brackets look like this year. At any rate, I don't think anyone can take Jasper as long as they stay healthy.

Do you or anyone else know what Jesuit's record is this year? I know it's hard to judge Jesuit's record because of classifications, but Jesuit beat them even with Jasper's depth.

SETXFBFAN
10-30-2002, 09:37 AM
I think Jesuit's only loss was in Week one to Kileen (no slouch). They have had some big wins this year ~> Bay City, Jasper. They have alot of talent. Their two D-Ends / Tight Ends have commited to LSU and Texas. They also have a stud receiver that will play college ball and an All-American kicker who is a Jr. Not taking anything away from them ,but if the Jasper QB Mitchell was healthy Jasper would have won that one too.

Yes Jasper and Newton with both 3A State Championships would be awesome. I know they will be pulling for one another.

southern_thunder
10-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Jesuit has lost twice since playing Jasper. They lost to either St. Pius or St. Thomas from Houston Im not sure which and then theylost last week to Ruston LA.

Fan you are right if Mitchell had played Jasper would have won!! But I hope Jasper has a better plan the next time he is unable to play.

PRMan23
10-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Its looks like Marlin will get Hillsboro in the first round while Newton will probably play Teague.
Marlin and Newton will meet in the second round

Cooter
10-30-2002, 10:09 AM
I HAVE SEEN BOTH OF THESE TEAMS PLAY. JASPER HAS ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN IT ALL. I REALLY BELIEVE THEY WILL. NEWTON, ON THE OTHER HAND, DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AS GOOD AS THEY HAVE BEEN THE LAST FEW YEARS. THEY ARE GOOD BUT I DO NOT THINK THEY HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS.

EAGLE89
10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
NXMAN,
Welcome aboard and good analysis. I agree that if Jasper stays focused and maintains the same intensity shown against Newton that they will prevail as the champs in D1. They've got the strength, speed, and SIZE to match up against anyone, no question.
Newton needs to stay healthy, maintain their focus and intensity each week. In the big games they need to avoid turnovers, losing 5 of 7 fumbles, not to mention the interceptions deep in Jasper territory hurt them badly in that game. As always they are blessed with good backs. The passing game needs to come on a little stronger to keep the opposing defenses off balance. If this comes together to present a more balanced and dangerous offense, similar to the '98 team I think they'll be O.K.
Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Newton Fan
10-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Eagle 89... I had my thoughts all gathered in my head to post a response then read yours and you just about summed it up.

Jasper's O-line is strong, really strong! From the stands I could see the big Jasper tackles literally pushing the defensive linemen into the linebackers... making two blocks in one! I don't see anyone in 3A controlling that force.

Newton does need to hang on to the darn ball, good teams will capitalize on mistakes!

I don’t want to cause a riot but I don’t think Newton has the overall talent this year the ‘98 team had and we certainly don’t have the size.

98Eagle
10-30-2002, 06:49 PM
You cant compare this team to the 98 team. The 98 team actually had a secondary with Rod Gulley and Myron Davis. They had much quicker linebackers with Josh Harrell (State Defensive MVP) and Jeremy Lott. A huge defensive end in Tim Kenebrew, 4 exceptional running backs that rarely fumbled the ball, and a quarterback (David Walker), that was much bigger, faster, and stronger than Logan. But I could be biased as well.

Old Cardinal
10-30-2002, 08:15 PM
You made some excellent points, welcome aboard! I too agree that Jasper and Newton are loaded! However, I do look for Marlin to give Newton a good game, but lose. The only thing that has stopped Newton from winning State several times lately is their lack of available depth because of an extremely low enrollment. Marlin is plagued with that same situation!....I honestly feel that Bridge City has been progressing each week and is the only team that can even challenge Jasper. They have trained an unusual number of players in each game this year! At this point Jasper would win big if they played today! I have watched as Coach Tarver has attempted to build depth and confidence and a gritty program. Yes, they took it on the chin against Newton 5 games back-but they had a new Coaching scheme then- with a brand new offensive and defensive set. Barbers Hill has also built a substancial program as the season progressed and will really challenge Bridge City. Jasper just best not take either of these teams lightly that emerge as the winner in 21-3A/22-3A Bidistrict contest. I think that Bridge City will win over BH, in a good hard contest.They are the only team with the lighting strike capability to possibly upset Jasper on Jasper's push toward the Division I Championship. And that would be because of superior Coaching and a number of athletes with the speed to break the big plays, also.

southern_thunder
10-30-2002, 09:44 PM
WOW!!!! I didnt realize Bridge city had that kind of speed to be able to strike quickly. They looked extremely slow against Newton. And as far as speed goes Jasper has more than a few athletes with speed, one example is their defiensive ends #34 and #25 both of which run 4.5-4.6 forties. :cool:

mechanic
10-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Superior coaching??? Only time will tell, and we will see who is the best coach? Won`t we.

Old Cardinal
10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
To Southern thunder: Bridge City put two split outs way behind your "fast" secondary that dropped the TD strikes on a "wet ball" night. Peebles is faster than anything you have on a 100 yard dash-and you know it! Coach Barbay put 2 or 3 of your best linebackers meeting him at the line on every play, and they did an exceptional job of stopping him before he could get rolling. Newton did a great win over BC that night, but they are not slow. I continue to be a fan of Newton throughout the Post season and I think you will do very well this year also. Good luck against Marlin, it should be a great game!

southern_thunder
10-30-2002, 10:21 PM
First of all I am not from Newton I am from Jasper. And our secondary although has been a little suspect at times they are a little faster than Newton's. And no one has ran the ball against Jasper very consistantly all year. As far as dropping the wet balls Jasper passed for 198 yards last week with very wet conditions with touchdown passes caught by 3 different receivers.

southern_thunder
10-30-2002, 10:37 PM
I apoligise. After rereading my previous post it sounded like I came off kind of strong and I didnt mean for it to be. I hope all East Texas teams do as well as they can until theyplay Jasper. :D

Old Cardinal
10-31-2002, 09:09 AM
Hi agree Thunder, Odds are no one in Division I will really challenge Jasper until the finals. I will be pulling for Jasper or anyone else that reaches that level of success in the playoffs.

RBARKER
10-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Dont get me wrong, Jasper has a great team and are fully capable of winning state but, Jasper will be challenged every round they play in the DIV I playoffs. Every team they will face will have the tools to defeat the Bulldogs. If Jasper thinks they are going to slide through the playoffs they have a suprise waiting for them. Once Jasper gets past the first round all teams from then on will be well coached and athletic. Good luck going into the playoffs. :cool: Maybe if the football gods are willing BH will seya in round three. wink

southern_thunder
10-31-2002, 09:46 AM
You are right Barker once in the playoffs anyone has a chance to beat anyone, thats what makes it fun!!! Good luck to yall and all the East Texas teams we need to represent our part of the world well, and may we all be injury free!!