PDA

View Full Version : Borger fans:

nobogey72
11-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Since there is obviously no Borger Bulldog posters on the downlow, I will give my opinion. I think Borger sucks. I mean the entire town, team,, etc. The town is ugly, cold, and boring. The water tastes like sulpher. Oh, and most importantly, the cheerleaders are ugly. If they even have twirlers I bet they drop their baton all the time. I would almost rather live in Big Spring.

Anyway, travel safely to Lubbock Friday (if any fans actually go to the games), and have a great rest of the week.

slingshot
11-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Since there is obviously no Borger Bulldog posters on the downlow, I will give my opinion. I think Borger sucks. I mean the entire town, team,, etc. The town is ugly, cold, and boring. The water tastes like sulpher. Oh, and most importantly, the cheerleaders are ugly. If they even have twirlers I bet they drop their baton all the time. I would almost rather live in Big Spring.

Anyway, travel safely to Lubbock Friday (if any fans actually go to the games), and have a great rest of the week.Ouch. I know you're really being sarcastic nobogey... you really love Borger, think it's 'scenic', has 'seasons', and is 'bustling with activity'. The water is 'sweet' (Oops--think our neighbors 45 miles to the west already claim that one), the cheerleaders are 'beautiful' and the twirlers are 'world-class'. I also think you really would love to live in Big Spring--I have a good banker friend there that needs a whipping boy, errr I mean 'Vice President' and can hook you up... :kiss::thinking::crazy1:

nobogey72
11-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Ouch. I know you're really being sarcastic nobogey... you really love Borger, think it's 'scenic', has 'seasons', and is 'bustling with activity'. The water is 'sweet' (Oops--think our neighbors 45 miles to the west already claim that one), the cheerleaders are 'beautiful' and the twirlers are 'world-class'. I also think you really would love to live in Big Spring--I have a good banker friend there that needs a whipping boy, errr I mean 'Vice President' and can hook you up... :kiss::thinking::crazy1:

I bet the banks in Borger suck also. Probably get robbed all the time.

I've been trying to find something nice to say, but just can't come up with anything. The closest I can come up with is that my childhood football idol, Donny Anderson (Texas Tech, and Green Bay Packers) is from there. I bet he never goes back there to visit due to all the things I've mentioned.

garciap77
11-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Wylie by 1 in triple overtime!

canno
11-17-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure Borger has internet yet.

FB-fanatic
11-17-2015, 10:37 PM
I graduated college in '83, and the economy was in the dumps! I had the choice of going to Borger and working for Phillips Petroleum and make $45,000 right out of school ('83), or staying in Waco and work restaurant work until the economy got better.... The Spud Hut won.

toddg
11-18-2015, 12:39 AM
I graduated college in '83, and the economy was in the dumps! I had the choice of going to Borger and working for Phillips Petroleum and make $45,000 right out of school ('83), or staying in Waco and work restaurant work until the economy got better.... The Spud Hut won.

Don't like wide open spaces? Iv spent some very long hours in complete isolation out there..you probably made the right choice!! LoL!!

91 lion
11-18-2015, 12:45 AM
Don't like wide open spaces? Iv spent some very long hours in complete isolation out there..you probably made the right choice!! LoL!!

Speaking of.....Teams are deciding to play playoff games in Oklahoma instead of a fair town like Borger.

91 lion
11-18-2015, 12:52 AM
Borger has a little history.....

Ace Borger and his business partner John R. Miller purchased a 240-acre (0.97 km2) townsite near the Canadian River in March 1926 after the discovery of oil in the vicinity. Within a few months time, the boomtown had swelled to a population of 45,000, most lured by sensational advertising and "black gold". In October 1926, the city charter was adopted, and Miller was elected mayor. By this time the Panhandle & Santa Fe Railway had completed the spur line to Borger, a post office had opened, and a school district was established. The boomtown of Borger soon had steam-generated electricity, telephone service, a hotel, and a jail. Regionalist artist Thomas Hart Benton depicted this period of Borger in his large painting "Boomtown".

In the months that followed, oilmen, roughnecks, prospectors, panhandlers and fortune seekers were joined by cardsharks, prostitutes, bootleggers and drug dealers. The city became known as "Booger Town" as it attracted criminals and fugitives from the law. The town government soon fell under control of an organized crime syndicate led by Mayor Miller's shady associate, "Two-Gun Dick" Herwig. Dixon Street (now Tenth Street) was the "red-light" district, housing brothels, dance halls, speakeasies and gambling dens. Murder and robbery became an everyday occurrence, and illegal moonshining and home brewing flourished under the fatherly watch of Herwig and his henchmen, including W. J. (Shine) Popejoy, the king of the Texas bootleggers. Borger became so notorious that in the spring of 1927 Texas Governor Dan Moody sent a force of Texas Rangers to rein in the town. The Texas Rangers were led by Captains Frank Hamer and Thomas R. Hickman. (Hamer would go on to later fame and even infamy as the man who killed Bonnie and Clyde.)

The Texas Rangers did have a stabilizing effect, but Borger still struggled with lawlessness and violence into the 1930s, climaxing with the murder of District Attorney John A. Holmes by an assassin on September 18, 1929. This event caused Governor Moody to impose martial law for a month and send in state troops to help rid the town of its criminal element. Eventually Borger settled down, but not before town founder Ace Borger was shot and killed at the post office by Arthur Huey on August 31, 1934 (Huey was county treasurer and was irked at Ace Borger for not bailing him out of jail on an embezzlement charge. Huey shot Borger five times with a Colt .45 pistol, even pulling Borger's own pistol out of his clothing and shooting him again, along with others there in the post office).

toddg
11-18-2015, 12:54 AM
Speaking of.....Teams are deciding to play playoff games in Oklahoma instead of a fair town like Borger.

The town ain't so bad..actually very nice...besides we wouldn't have had a couple of great Roy Orbison songs to listen to if it weren't for Borger!! Bill Dees..thank you!!

PurplePop
11-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Everything's bigger in Texas. Even in Borger...

http://atimeandaplace.blogspot.com/2005/10/everythings-bigger-in-texas_03.html?m=1

91 lion
11-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Everything's bigger in Texas. Even in Borger...

http://atimeandaplace.blogspot.com/2005/10/everythings-bigger-in-texas_03.html?m=1

It's a real snake, but likely not killed in Borger....I saw the same pic some years back and it said that it was killed in Tow, Texas....

http://durangotexas.blogspot.com/2009/07/giant-rattlesnake-killed-in-manor-texas.html?m=1

BwdLion73
11-18-2015, 08:47 AM
I was just thinking that 91 lion had teamed up with cam to write Borger history and then he goes and corrects PurplePop!

:eek::D

PurplePop
11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Tow's right down the road from Llano. Maybe they should be the Rattlers instead of the Yellow Jackets.

91 lion
11-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I was just thinking that 91 lion had teamed up with cam to write Borger history and then he goes and corrects PurplePop!

:eek::D

We thought about it, but he said nevermind bc folks would just blame it on greendawg anyway

slingshot
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
We thought about it, but he said nevermind bc folks would just blame it on greendawg anywayThis is ALL greendawg's fault!

Rabid Cougar
11-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Now that is a bald face lie! Everyone knows there is no high school football in Oklahoma except in Tulsa and Junks... I mean Jinks.

Sweetwater Red
11-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Now that is a bald face lie! Everyone knows there is no high school football in Oklahoma except in Tulsa and Junks... I mean Jinks.

I think he is referring to this...

Area matchup: Anna vs. Perryton, 7 p.m. Friday at Cache, Oklahoma

91 lion
11-18-2015, 11:47 AM
I think he is referring to this...

Area matchup: Anna vs. Perryton, 7 p.m. Friday at Cache, Oklahoma

That is correct sir.

91 lion
11-18-2015, 11:52 AM

There may be no football, but apparently they still decided to build a few stadiums..:)