PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater (11-0) vs. Aubrey (7-4) - potential upset?

charlesrixey
11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
When you look at the schedules for each team, most will assume that Sweetwater will run all over Aubrey. I have a gut feeling that Aubrey has a shot in this one, depending on Sweetwater's QB status and whether or not Aubrey can get their ball-control offense going. They have made huge strides since the beginning of the season. The potential for this game could range from a Sweetwater blowout to a slim Aubrey win. The PP spread is 17 points; I know I am going out on a huge limb, and I still think Sweetwater will win, but the Mustangs shouldn't overlook the Chaparrals.

FYI, everyone says that "we won't overlook anyone" and "this could be a trap game" for every game ever, which is why you'll still see the same quotes for a game like Celina-Venus. For the record, Venus had basically zero chance to win that game and Aubrey could potentially score an upset. Since I have no emotional investment in this game, and would like to see either team win, if Sweetwater goes out and wins 50-0 I will still sleep well on Friday night, lol.

Aubrey's schedule:

Pottsboro L, 45-0
Burkburnett L, 36-7
Pilot Point L, 44-27
Van Alstyne W, 28-24
Carrollton Ranchview W, 24-19
Bonham W, 41-23
Krum W, 47-21
Bridgeport W, 20-14
Celina L, 63-19
Anna W, 49-20
Ferris W, 41-0

Sweetwater's schedule:

Lubbock W, 56-7
Muleshoe W, 36-14
Breckenridge W, 22-9
Snyder W, 44-29
Andrews W, 56-34
Fort Stockton W, 44-0
Midland Greenwood W, 32-0
Monahans W, 38-37
Pecos W, 58-36
Lamesa W, 60-12
Dalhart W, 36-0

slingshot
11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Aubrey lost to Burkburnett 36-7? Sweetwater will roll them...

charlesrixey
11-16-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm from Celina; I don't have any dogs in the fight, but I have a feeling...

Aubrey is peaking at the right time.

I led off by saying that no one who looks at the schedule will give them a chance, lol. But a lot can change over the course of a season

RPF2666
11-16-2015, 03:43 PM
I'd say it's a stretch, but Sweetwater has shown they can give up some points to running teams...!!!

lostaussie
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Every game is a potential upset:D

d0tc0m
11-16-2015, 04:29 PM
I think Rixey makes a solid point about Aubrey peaking at the right time. They certainly have improved a ton since that loss to Burkburnett. Meanwhile, Sweetwater has had to battle through a long list of injuries to some key players. So when you look at those factors, you can start to see how this game is at least a little more compelling than it would've appeared to be five or six weeks ago. If the Chaps can come in, grind out a clock-killing drive, find the end zone and then somehow stop Sweetwater on its opening possession, things, all of a sudden get really interesting ...

... But it's just not gonna happen, in my opinion. Even with the injuries, I think the Mustangs will be just too explosive for Aubrey. Sweetwater has had some studs step up these past few weeks, and they're still scoring a lot of points. I can't see the Chaps' defense being able to stop Sweetwater very often. That's going to put a ton of pressure on Aubrey's offense, and they don't run the type of system that can handle that type of pressure well. The Chaps certainly aren't built to play from behind, either, and I think that's where they'll be for most of this game, including when the 48th minute has expired.

charlesrixey
11-16-2015, 04:31 PM
My prediction is 42-21 Sweetwater, BTW.

But Aubrey is going to surprise a few I think.

Aubrey has improved immensely the second half of the season, and their offense has potential. The defense will struggle against Sweetwater's weapons, but shutting out Ferris 41-0 is going to give the Chaps confidence

WOS87
11-16-2015, 05:31 PM
I love how no one from Sweetwater has even deigned to chime in or give this thread the time of day lol. It's all Celina, Gilmer and now I guess WOS. :1popcorn:

orange machine
11-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Sweetwater will roll Aubrey.

garciap77
11-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Sweetwater by as many as they want!

charlesrixey
11-17-2015, 10:23 PM
I love how no one from Sweetwater has even deigned to chime in or give this thread the time of day lol. It's all Celina, Gilmer and now I guess WOS. :1popcorn:

This is what I get for trying stir the pot a little, lol

bobcat1
11-17-2015, 11:16 PM
"Sweetwater (11-0) vs. Aubrey (7-4) - potential upset? " Ummm no.

Phantom Stang
11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

I'll play.:wave:
Pre-district losses aren't always an infallible indicator of how a team is going to finish the season, just look at Abilene Wylie over the years.

Any time a team wins seven of their last eight games, with their only loss being to a perennial powerhouse, they have to be taken seriously. Having said that, Monahans has as good'a chance of embarrassing Celina, as Aubrey does of upsetting Sweetwater.

d0tc0m
11-18-2015, 12:13 PM
I'll play.:wave:
Pre-district losses aren't always an infallible indicator of how a team is going to finish the season, just look at Abilene Wylie over the years.

Any time a team wins seven of their last eight games, with their only loss being to a perennial powerhouse, they have to be taken seriously. Having said that, Monahans has as good'a chance of embarrassing Celina, as Aubrey does of upsetting Sweetwater.

Agreed. Its going to take something just short of divine intervention to keep the Bobcats and Mustangs from the rematch.

mustang04
11-18-2015, 07:25 PM
SWEETWATER!!!!! Can't wait to go to the game.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk