PDA

View Full Version : Andrews Mustangs (10-1) vs. Brownwood Lions (9-2) at San Angelo Stadium

clcannon17
11-16-2015, 01:11 AM
Should be a good game between two really talented teams. There several things take into consideration with game though.
For one Andrews strength of schedule might end up them here. Looking at their schedule only two teams stood out, Monahans and Sweetwater. Monahans is obviously a well coached team, but i don't think they quite fit the bill of what teams Brownwood has played. On the contrary Sweetwater is a very good football team, but Andrews ended up getting smothered by them. Brownwood's schedule was a tough one, but it refined us into the dangerous team we are. We are also coming off a win against Graham, which prepared us for the passing game we are sure to see alot of in this game. They don't have Landry Turner though, so if we shut down their wide recievers, they will be in trouble. From what I understand they have two speedsters that make the passing game click, but I have faith the lions can shut it down. One thing for sure that Andrews QB better know how to scramble outside the pocket, because our d-line is tenacious. Offensively, our running game should shred them if I had to predict, plus after watching Lewis in last weeks game, he made some major plays to keep us in the game. Price and Diez should be able to power through Andrews defense, and Gavin will take it to the house if they give him a good lane. Overall, I like how Brownwood stacks up in this one, and am looking forward to going to that beautiful stadium in San Angelo.
I'll take Brownwood by 17.

95mustang
11-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Andrews and Brownwood last played in the Area Round of the playoffs in 1993 in San Angelo. Andrews won that game 24-17.

Brownwood's secondary will be tested this week. If Brownwood's d-line puts pressure on the quarterback and gets him out of his comfort zone then Brownwood can even the series 1-1.

AmistadMan 74
11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Should be a great game. The only common opponant was Big Spring. Andrews beat the Steers 60-27 and Bwood beat them 38-0. Andrews QB Tristan Williams has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 60 TD passes with only 4 pics in 11 games and he's only a Jr. Andrews O is good. It will be interesting to see if Bwood db's can cover Fitzgerald and Thompson on the outside. Of the teams left in the playoffs Andrews beat Monahans 48-27, Levelland 61-36, and lost to Sweetwater 54-36. Can't wait till Friday. Winner should stroll into Region 1 Final

slingshot
11-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Brownwood 35-21...

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2015, 09:37 AM
While I have watched Andrews, Brownwood is the only team from 3-4ADI that I haven't seen play.
So, I can't say who I think will win. But, what I do know is that when Sweetwater played Andrews
in week 5 it was 44-6 at the half. We were at full strength then and I believe that was the first
game our sophomore QB started. We built that lead with a balanced attack and a swarming defense.

From a look at the scores (I really hate using that as a source by the way because it's like saying
you really have no clue) it seems Brownwood might be able to match Sweetwater's fire power. If
they have a solid D then they just might win going away. If I was going to pick the over/under
I'd say 70. Of course every time we are expecting a high scoring game on this board the final
score ends up 20-14.

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Andrews and Brownwood last played in the Area Round of the playoffs in 1993 in San Angelo. Andrews won that game 24-17.

Brownwood's secondary will be tested this week. If Brownwood's d-line puts pressure on the quarterback and gets him out of his comfort zone then Brownwood can even the series 1-1.

I guess the bigger question is who are you rooting for? gotta be a little bit torn huh?

95mustang
11-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I guess the bigger question is who are you rooting for? gotta be a little bit torn huh?

I will be wearing maroon Friday.

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2015, 10:11 AM
I will be wearing maroon Friday.

:thumbsup:

clcannon17
11-16-2015, 11:34 AM
I think the better question is how good is Andrew's defense?

BwdLion73
11-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Should be a great game. The only common opponant was Big Spring. Andrews beat the Steers 60-27 and Bwood beat them 38-0. Andrews QB Tristan Williams has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 60 TD passes with only 4 pics in 11 games and he's only a Jr. Andrews O is good. It will be interesting to see if Bwood db's can cover Fitzgerald and Thompson on the outside. Of the teams left in the playoffs Andrews beat Monahans 48-27, Levelland 61-36, and lost to Sweetwater 54-36. Can't wait till Friday. Winner should stroll into Region 1 Final

Sounds like Williams can chunk it. If he has the strength and legs to run that Grahams Landry has it will be a shootout.

If he's a sit back pocket passer he will have a long night.

91 lion
11-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Sounds like Williams can chunk it. If he has the strength and legs to run that Grahams Landry has it will be a shootout.

If he's a sit back pocket passer he will have a long night.

After the Wylie game, this is the matchup that I had penciled in as a big one. Sounds like we're getting ready to clash with a team led by a potential all state player (QB). Not sure if he will get there, but his numbers are very impressive.

I don't think he or they have seen a defense like ours yet that's gonna get after him on every play. That being said, I'm sure that they will find some success, but not as much as the Lions will.

I'm saying 46-31 Lions. I think the Andrews QB adds to that insanely low interception total....once, maybe twice....and I think the balanced attack from the Lions continues to roll.

MHO

toddg
11-16-2015, 01:34 PM
After the Wylie game, this is the matchup that I had penciled in as a big one. Sounds like we're getting ready to clash with a team led by a potential all state player (QB). Not sure if he will get there, but his numbers are very impressive.

I don't think he or they have seen a defense like ours yet that's gonna get after him on every play. That being said, I'm sure that they will find some success, but not as much as the Lions will.

I'm saying 46-31 Lions. I think the Andrews QB adds to that insanely low interception total....once, maybe twice....and I think the balanced attack from the Lions continues to roll.

MHOhaha honest Abe!!! good luck to the LIONS!!

91 lion
11-16-2015, 01:40 PM
haha honest Abe!!! good luck to the LIONS!!

Well, the 'H' is for Humble.....but honest works too ;)

Hollyville
11-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Brownwood will surprise themselves in this one and own the day. 42-21 Lions!

BwdLions
11-16-2015, 10:10 PM
I predict a 41-27 win for the Lions.

toddg
11-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Andrews got the short end of that drive stick!! But it's a very cool stadium to play in for sure!
Don't really know much about the Andrews team..most likely going to be a Brownwood "danky stomp" as some Lion fans would say..

95mustang
11-17-2015, 02:54 AM
Andrews got the short end of that drive stick!! But it's a very cool stadium to play in for sure!
Don't really know much about the Andrews team..most likely going to be a Brownwood "danky stomp" as some Lion fans would say..

It is not actually that bad of a drive for Andrews, only about 50 miles further than Brownwood. As for the stadium it will almost be like a home game for Andrews as their stadium and San Angelo stadium were built by the same firm and are identical minus the North end zone in San Angelo. Home and Visitors side look a like.

AmistadMan 74
11-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Should be a great atmosphere but I don't see a blowout either way

AmistadMan 74
11-17-2015, 08:19 AM
That being said Andrews 49-42

clcannon17
11-17-2015, 11:48 AM
That being said Andrews 49-42

I do not see Andrews scoring 49 on Brownwood. They may be good offensively, but our defense will hold them within 40. IMHO

garciap77
11-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Andrews by 1 in triple overtime!

91 lion
11-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Lies!!!

LionFan72
11-18-2015, 12:59 PM

you ole blind bulldog, Lions by fitty! Playing for a rematch with them purple Dogs up the road!!

Don't be scared, we coming!

garciap77
11-18-2015, 01:25 PM
you ole blind bulldog, Lions by fitty! Playing for a rematch with them purple Dogs up the road!!

Bring it!!! You ole Lion Fart!:evillol:

slingshot
11-18-2015, 10:12 PM

Don't be scared, we coming!Us scared? :hand: Not quite... Beat you once at your place, hope to get a chance to do it again on a neutral field!

hollywood
11-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Brownwood should roll by at least 14 pts.

Wouldn't be something to see a Brownwood vs Stephenville Regional final?

clcannon17
11-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Brownwood should roll by at least 14 pts.

Wouldn't be something to see a Brownwood vs Stephenville Regional final?

Yes it would, but I do not see the Ville beating Wylie, but crazier things have happened I guess.

Hollyville
11-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Dogs will be on the court. How you doing?

slingshot
11-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Must be putting some hallucinogenic substnce in the water there in Stephenville... :crazy:

clcannon17
11-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Must be putting some hallucinogenic substnce in the water there in Stephenville... :crazy:

You're just now noticing this?

LionFan72
11-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Im pretty sure it will be great playing either Wylie or The Ville in the finals as we were originally picked as 3rd or 4th in some predictions early on. Just sure glad to be "where we belong" at this time! Go Lions!!

91 lion
11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Im pretty sure it will be great playing either Wylie or The Ville in the finals as we were originally picked as 3rd or 4th in some predictions early on. Just sure glad to be "where we belong" at this time! Go Lions!!

Andrews, Borger and Levelland will all have their say before any of that can happen, but I do like the chances for all 3 teams to asvance.

slingshot
11-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Andrews, Borger and Levelland will all have their say before any of that can happen, but I do like the chances for all 3 teams to asvance.
Yup.

AmistadMan 74
11-20-2015, 07:07 AM
MIDLAND REPORTER TELEGRAM ARTICLE 11/20/15

HS FOOTBALL: Andrews WR Gabaldon having a blast with the Mustangs-
Before the season, Eddie Gabaldon couldn’t have imagined he would be having the kind of year he’s having for the Andrews football team.
The 5-foot-10, 160-pound senior wide receiver played behind senior Braden Grimsley in 2014 and concentrated mostly on defense, playing in the secondary.
But this year’s story is different: It’s all about what he’s been able to do on offense.
Playing in the Mustangs’ air raid offense, Gabaldon has put up incredible numbers, as he leads the team with 59 catches for 1,135 yards and 20 total touchdowns.
He gets a chance to add to those totals at 7:30 p.m. when Andrews (11-1) faces Brownwood (9-2) in a Class 4A Division I area round playoff game in San Angelo.
“I’ve been playing pretty good, but it’s not just me — it’s my teammates,” Gabaldon said. “Without them, I wouldn’t be in this position, and the coaching staff has been big, as well. But it’s great being one of the top players in the Permian Basin. It makes me proud to be having the kind of season I am.”
Gabaldon has worked hard to be successful. He put in time during the offseason program and played 7-on-7 football. During the season he’s known to get to practice early and stay late to work on his game.
“He’s usually the first one on the field stretching and ready to do something,” Andrews coach Ralph Mason said.
Thanks to that hard work, he’s been one of the biggest playmakers in the Permian Basin.
“He’s obviously been a very good offensive player for us and has had a phenomenal year,” Mason said. “He’s been a big performer on offense and has played a little on defense, either at safety or at corner, wherever we needed him.”
And you can bet junior quarterback Triston Williams has enjoyed Gabaldon’s hard work because Gabaldon is one of a few talented receivers at his disposal. Those receivers have helped the Mustangs’ first-year starter throw for more than 4,100 yards, complete 62 percent of his passes and throw for 60 touchdowns against just four interceptions.
“I guess I have a good connection with (Williams),” Gabaldon said. “We have spent a lot of time together, played 7-on-7, and we have a good enough connection that he just throws it up to me and I go and get it. He has trust in me, and I have trust in him.”
And thanks in part to that connection and the way the Mustangs have been putting up points this season, Gabaldon said he’s having the time of his life.
“I’m having a lot of fun,” he said. “Just the way we’re scoring points and the way we can take a short pass and take it 80 yards makes it fun.”
Mason said the coaches tell their players that everyone is a leader in one form or another. Gabaldon leads by sparking his team on the field and making big plays.
“I try to get them motivated,” said Gabaldon of his teammates. “Just to be around my teammates and friends and having that relationship with each other gets me motivated.”
Now, the Mustangs hope to move past the second round for the first time since 2007.
“We’re just going to play our hearts out and, hopefully, move on in the playoffs,” Gabaldon said.
Follow Oscar on Twitter: @OLeRoy_MRT
CLASS 4A DIVISION I AREA
ANDREWS VS. BROWNWOOD
When/where: 7:30 p.m., San Angelo Stadium, San Angelo
On the air: KACT-FM (105.5), KACT-AM (1360), Andrews
Records: Andrews 10-1; Brownwood 10-2
Last game: Andrews 48, Lubbock Estacado 21; Brownwood 29, Graham 26
Last meeting/series: Andrews defeated Brownwood 55-28 in 2013 and leads the all-time series 26-5
Five things to watch
— The Mustangs rolled to a victory over Estacado to begin the playoffs last week. Andrews QB Triston Williams was 27-of-42 passing for 380 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. Williams also rushed for a TD. WR Devon Fitzgerald caught five passes for 113 yards and two TDs.
— Andrews coach Ralph Mason said even with the 27-point victory over the Matadors, he doesn’t believe that his team has played its best game in the playoffs.
“We did some good things but we were a little inconsistent at times,” Mason said. “We were playing a 2-8 team and no matter what you tell your kids, playing teams like Estacado and the teams in our district affects them with how they perform sometimes. With Brownwood, I don’t think they’ll have trouble getting up for them.”
— Brownwood edged Graham thanks in part to an early 89-yard kickoff return and a late TD pass from Grant Lewis, who finished with 117 yards rushing, 89 yards passing and two total TDs.
— Mason said Lewis stands out for the Lions.
“He’s good on both sides of the ball,” Mason said. “He’s a good, solid football player and a good leader. We’ve got to be disciplined on defense and move the chains on offense. Last week, we also had some untimely penalties that stopped some our drives, so we’ve got to stay away from those.”
—The Mustangs will look to advance past the second round of the playoffs for the first times since 2007. The last two years, Andrews has lost to rival Big Spring in the second round.
Next: Winner plays Pampa/Mineral Wells winner in Class 4A Division I regional round

Funny MRT mistook Brownwood for Brownfield LOL

95mustang
11-20-2015, 07:20 AM

Before the season, Eddie Gabaldon couldn’t have imagined he would be having the kind of year he’s having for the Andrews football team.
The 5-foot-10, 160-pound senior wide receiver played behind senior Braden Grimsley in 2014 and concentrated mostly on defense, playing in the secondary.
But this year’s story is different: It’s all about what he’s been able to do on offense.
Playing in the Mustangs’ air raid offense, Gabaldon has put up incredible numbers, as he leads the team with 59 catches for 1,135 yards and 20 total touchdowns.
He gets a chance to add to those totals at 7:30 p.m. when Andrews (11-1) faces Brownwood (9-2) in a Class 4A Division I area round playoff game in San Angelo.
“I’ve been playing pretty good, but it’s not just me — it’s my teammates,” Gabaldon said. “Without them, I wouldn’t be in this position, and the coaching staff has been big, as well. But it’s great being one of the top players in the Permian Basin. It makes me proud to be having the kind of season I am.”
Gabaldon has worked hard to be successful. He put in time during the offseason program and played 7-on-7 football. During the season he’s known to get to practice early and stay late to work on his game.
“He’s usually the first one on the field stretching and ready to do something,” Andrews coach Ralph Mason said.
Thanks to that hard work, he’s been one of the biggest playmakers in the Permian Basin.
“He’s obviously been a very good offensive player for us and has had a phenomenal year,” Mason said. “He’s been a big performer on offense and has played a little on defense, either at safety or at corner, wherever we needed him.”
And you can bet junior quarterback Triston Williams has enjoyed Gabaldon’s hard work because Gabaldon is one of a few talented receivers at his disposal. Those receivers have helped the Mustangs’ first-year starter throw for more than 4,100 yards, complete 62 percent of his passes and throw for 60 touchdowns against just four interceptions.
“I guess I have a good connection with (Williams),” Gabaldon said. “We have spent a lot of time together, played 7-on-7, and we have a good enough connection that he just throws it up to me and I go and get it. He has trust in me, and I have trust in him.”
And thanks in part to that connection and the way the Mustangs have been putting up points this season, Gabaldon said he’s having the time of his life.
“I’m having a lot of fun,” he said. “Just the way we’re scoring points and the way we can take a short pass and take it 80 yards makes it fun.”
Mason said the coaches tell their players that everyone is a leader in one form or another. Gabaldon leads by sparking his team on the field and making big plays.
“I try to get them motivated,” said Gabaldon of his teammates. “Just to be around my teammates and friends and having that relationship with each other gets me motivated.”
Now, the Mustangs hope to move past the second round for the first time since 2007.
“We’re just going to play our hearts out and, hopefully, move on in the playoffs,” Gabaldon said.
CLASS 4A DIVISION I AREA
ANDREWS VS. BROWNWOOD
Last meeting/series: Andrews defeated Brownwood 55-28 in 2013 and leads the all-time series 26-5
Five things to watch
— The Mustangs rolled to a victory over Estacado to begin the playoffs last week. Andrews QB Triston Williams was 27-of-42 passing for 380 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. Williams also rushed for a TD. WR Devon Fitzgerald caught five passes for 113 yards and two TDs.
— Andrews coach Ralph Mason said even with the 27-point victory over the Matadors, he doesn’t believe that his team has played its best game in the playoffs.
“We did some good things but we were a little inconsistent at times,” Mason said. “We were playing a 2-8 team and no matter what you tell your kids, playing teams like Estacado and the teams in our district affects them with how they perform sometimes. With Brownwood, I don’t think they’ll have trouble getting up for them.”
— Brownwood edged Graham thanks in part to an early 89-yard kickoff return and a late TD pass from Grant Lewis, who finished with 117 yards rushing, 89 yards passing and two total TDs.
“He’s good on both sides of the ball,” Mason said. “He’s a good, solid football player and a good leader. We’ve got to be disciplined on defense and move the chains on offense. Last week, we also had some untimely penalties that stopped some our drives, so we’ve got to stay away from those.”
—The Mustangs will look to advance past the second round of the playoffs for the first times since 2007. The last two years, Andrews has lost to rival Big Spring in the second round.
Next: Winner plays Pampa/Mineral Wells winner in Class 4A Division I regional round

Yeah Brownwood is not Brownfield.

I think the series is tied 1-1 with the Lions winning in the 70's and the Mustangs winning in 93.

BwdLion73
11-20-2015, 08:00 AM
71' Cold with little ice pellets. Brownwood 38 Andrews 0. Lost in the semi's the next week to Plano 10 to 08. :crying:

AmistadMan 74
11-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Andrews beat Bwood and Hut Allred in 93 in the reg sem in San Angelo 24-17. Lost 17-7 the next week in quarters to Brandon Stewart led Stephenville. Should be a great game tonite.

91 lion
11-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Andrews beat Bwood and Hut Allred in 93 in the reg sem in San Angelo 24-17. Lost 17-7 the next week in quarters to Brandon Stewart led Stephenville. Should be a great game tonite.

wow, only the 3rd meeting in 45 years. You would think that we would have crossed paths more times than that, considering being in the same classification and the same region for so many years.

AmistadMan 74
11-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Andrews never could get past Estacado in the 1st round in the 70's and 80's

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Andrews never could get past Estacado in the 1st round in the 70's and 80's

Lubbock Estacado and Lubbock Dunbar had speed to burn back then.

AmistadMan 74
11-20-2015, 04:38 PM
So did Sweetwater in 84-85

AmistadMan 74
11-20-2015, 09:04 PM
7-3 Andrews 2nd-Bwood looks slow

clcannon17
11-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Brownwood 10-7

slingshot
11-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Slow enough to beat Andrews...

BwdLion73
11-20-2015, 11:42 PM
;)
;)

clcannon17
11-21-2015, 12:16 AM

They couldn't get things going on offense. What speed?? We slowed them down big time. Several times we missed tackles in the backfield, that's the majority of their yards lol.

AmistadMan 74
11-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Lion defense is good-no question-the O isnt flashy but got it done- the play of the game was the pic Andrews threw right before half on the goal line-Lions went down and scored. That was the difference in the game

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2015, 10:12 AM
If I was going to pick the over/under
I'd say 70. Of course every time we are expecting a high scoring game on this board the final
score ends up 20-14.

Nailed it! :rolleyes:

LionFan72
11-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Dogs will be on the court. How you doing?

Doing great, thanks for asking!! Still recovering from neck fusions (3) but getting better everyday.Watching my Lions keep marching in the playoffs. And yes they are a surprise. But we all knew they have more heart than watching from the sidelines!

bwdlionfan
11-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Lion defense is good-no question-the O isnt flashy but got it done- the play of the game was the pic Andrews threw right before half on the goal line-Lions went down and scored. That was the difference in the game

I guess you forgot that Brownwood also threw an INT on the goalline, failed on a 4th and 3 near your 20, and threw a pick at midfield that you couldn't do anything with. You won the turnover battle and still lost the game. Your two touchdown drives included three key 4th down conversions, one that you missed but we were called for a penalty on. But keep thinking that one play decided the game for you. All of these other plays had to happen to keep you in the game. Oh yeah, and we chewed up the final 6:47 on the clock and took a knee on your 13.

AmistadMan 74
11-21-2015, 12:00 PM
It was a good ball game-both teams played hard-couldve went either way but lions made more plays in the end

bwdlionfan
11-21-2015, 12:06 PM
It was a good ball game-both teams played hard-couldve went either way but lions made more plays in the end

Very true. It's a shame they had to meet so early. I think Brownwood had the toughest first two rounds in the region.

clcannon17
11-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Very true. It's a shame they had to meet so early. I think Brownwood had the toughest first two rounds in the region.

No joke!

slingshot
11-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Very true. It's a shame they had to meet so early. I think Brownwood had the toughest first two rounds in the region.Yup. That's what happens when you finish 2nd in district... ;) :stirpot:

clcannon17
11-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Yup. That's what happens when you finish 2nd in district... ;) :stirpot:

Don't worry, we could use the battle testing. Wylie won't know what hit them after that cupcake schedule.

slingshot
11-21-2015, 02:34 PM
...Wylie won't know what hit them after that cupcake schedule....and so it begins.

canno
11-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Sometimes we look to far ahead.
Look what happened to the Ville,need
To stay focused on next game.just saying

clcannon17
11-21-2015, 10:39 PM
...and so it begins.

Oh this is mild compared to what it's gonna be.

ccmom
11-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Oh this is mild compared to what it's gonna be.

Oh, we know LOL...

Here's one of a few Brownwood/Wylie threads from the past. This was from Brownwood's first season after they dropped a class. It's funny to read back on this stuff sometimes.

http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?87350-Brownwood-(2-3)-Abilene-Wylie-(3-2)&highlight=Brownwood+Wylie+band+director

Red Carpet
11-22-2015, 01:29 AM
Play calling has hurt the Lions offense in several games this year and it has gotten worse in the playoffs.

clcannon17
11-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Oh, we know LOL...

Here's one of a few Brownwood/Wylie threads from the past. This was from Brownwood's first season after they dropped a class. It's funny to read back on this stuff sometimes.

http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?87350-Brownwood-(2-3)-Abilene-Wylie-(3-2)&highlight=Brownwood+Wylie+band+director

Lol, yes, the 2010 forums have given me alot of reading time.
One thing though, that 2008 team had so much talent on it, but we just didn't use it properly, ugh those years still irk me.

ccmom
11-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Lol, yes, the 2010 forums have given me alot of reading time.
One thing though, that 2008 team had so much talent on it, but we just didn't use it properly, ugh those years still irk me.

That prolific offense of Brownwood was fun to watch. Some help from their defense could have resulted in something much different than a 3-7 season.

Anyway, I hope for a Brownwood/Wylie December meeting!! We shall see!

Bullaholic
11-22-2015, 11:27 AM
That prolific offense of Brownwood was fun to watch. Some help from their defense could have resulted in something much different than a 3-7 season.

I've heard of Slot-T, spread, or even wing-T offenses, ccmom---but never the prolific offense----can you tell me some about it?

91 lion
11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Sometimes we look to far ahead.
Look what happened to the Ville,need
To stay focused on next game.just saying

^^^^

+1

91 lion
11-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Ugh.....bad memories

To me those were dark years. We fell in love too much with an explosive offense and neglected the defense. We had a few D1 players on offense....another that surely would have been D1 if he didn't throw a baseball 98 miles an hour and our defense was devoid of size and talent. I mean, we had 300 lb offensive lineman and 165 lb D-lineman....that 'baseball player' was absolutely amazing at tight end, but at 6'4" 220, I sure bet he would have looked great at stoning a sweep or living in the backfield as a d-end.

It frustrated the crap out of me that we were trying to live up to the standards of the 'big boys' in 4a and 5a where kids only went one way. Now, I think that you can't bank on having a roster of 2 way players, but we were a school of 900 playing schools of 2000+. Those teams could afford it, but we needed to put some talent on the other side if the ball back then.

When we dropped, we kept that mentality and it hurt us.

I think one of the best things that Shipley did when he got to Brownwood was to let his DC have 1st pick.....then he worked with the rest......that formula worked out pretty well for us since....and while I don't necessarily like having our starting QB and stud WR patrolling the defensive side of the ball, you can't argue with the results.

I'm glad we figured it out.

slingshot
11-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Wylie has always had a 'predominatley two platoon system' and has had a few outstanding players go both ways... seems to work for us.

91 lion
11-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Wylie has always had a 'predominatley two platoon system' and has had a few outstanding players go both ways... seems to work for us.

And so has bwd.....but there are just times when going ways just makes more sense

clcannon17
11-22-2015, 02:51 PM

But considering ya'll have alot more players to work with, still don't know how y'all are 4A. Brownwood would've been so much better them years if we just played both ways. 2007 hurt us, 2008 just kept us down.

91 lion
11-22-2015, 04:02 PM
But considering ya'll have alot more players to work with, still don't know how y'all are 4A. Brownwood would've been so much better them years if we just played both ways. 2007 hurt us, 2008 just kept us down.

I thought it was funny how the last 2 full years we were in 4a that Wylie had bigger enrollment than us....2 years before we dropped...

slingshot
11-22-2015, 05:09 PM
You make it sound like we are twice as big or something, LOL. What, you have 950 students and we have 1050? Not that different...

slingshot
11-22-2015, 05:11 PM
It's certainly not like '08 when we played Prosper in the Semi's--we had 900 students and they had nearly 1400...

canno
11-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Ugh.....bad memories

To me those were dark years. We fell in love too much with an explosive offense and neglected the defense. We had a few D1 players on offense....another that surely would have been D1 if he didn't throw a baseball 98 miles an hour and our defense was devoid of size and talent. I mean, we had 300 lb offensive lineman and 165 lb D-lineman....that 'baseball player' was absolutely amazing at tight end, but at 6'4" 220, I sure bet he would have looked great at stoning a sweep or living in the backfield as a d-end.

It frustrated the crap out of me that we were trying to live up to the standards of the 'big boys' in 4a and 5a where kids only went one way. Now, I think that you can't bank on having a roster of 2 way players, but we were a school of 900 playing schools of 2000+. Those teams could afford it, but we needed to put some talent on the other side if the ball back then.

When we dropped, we kept that mentality and it hurt us.

I think one of the best things that Shipley did when he got to Brownwood was to let his DC have 1st pick.....then he worked with the rest......that formula worked out pretty well for us since....and while I don't necessarily like having our starting QB and stud WR patrolling the defensive side of the ball, you can't argue with the results.

I'm glad we figured it out.

Hard to forget that year it was painful to watch when you knew after your offense scored the defense would give it right back.

clcannon17
11-22-2015, 10:05 PM
You make it sound like we are twice as big or something, LOL. What, you have 950 students and we have 1050? Not that different...

It seems like ya'll are. Our football team is considerably smaller. Ya'll's band is three times the size. And the town itself is incredible with the amount of growth I've seen. Ya'll are noticeably bigger than us, not to mention always packed with a Senior class. Whether or not ya'll are that much bigger than us, ya'll obviously have more to pull from.

slingshot
11-22-2015, 10:38 PM
It seems like ya'll are. Our football team is considerably smaller. Ya'll's band is three times the size. And the town itself is incredible with the amount of growth I've seen. Ya'll are noticeably bigger than us, not to mention always packed with a Senior class. Whether or not ya'll are that much bigger than us, ya'll obviously have more to pull from.We really don't. What we are blessed with is a very high participation rate. A couple years ago there were 140 boys in the 7th grade... 105 came out for football. It's pretty much that way for everything--basketball, track, soccer, volleyball, tennis, band, etc. When a program is successful year in and year out, the kids want to participate.

clcannon17
11-22-2015, 10:45 PM
We really don't. What we are blessed with is a very high participation rate. A couple years ago there were 140 boys in the 7th grade... 105 came out for football. It's pretty much that way for everything--basketball, track, soccer, volleyball, tennis, band, etc. When a program is successful year in and year out, the kids want to participate.

I'll just have to take your word for it, doesn't really matter too much. Just from the perspective of a rival fan. Any issues should be settled on the football field anyway. Don't like it? Beat em

ccmom
11-22-2015, 11:56 PM
We really don't. What we are blessed with is a very high participation rate. A couple years ago there were 140 boys in the 7th grade... 105 came out for football. It's pretty much that way for everything--basketball, track, soccer, volleyball, tennis, band, etc. When a program is successful year in and year out, the kids want to participate.

It's much easier for people to believe the tired old "Wylie cheats on enrollment numbers" than it is for them to accept the truth. :rolleyes: Your explanation was dead on. It's rare to find a student in WISD that isn't involved in multiple extra curricular activities. Heaven knows I drive my boys around to enough of them!

Clcannon17, although WISD is totally separate from AISD, many people think we can draw from the entire city of Abilene, which is simply not the case. We are a closed district, unlike AISD that allows transfers in. Heck, I have had kids in the district for years and know most everyone at all the campuses. However, last week when we purchased a new home, they would not let me change our address at the school until I brought them a deed for the new property. You are right about one thing though, south Abilene and the areas south of the city limits are definitely growing like crazy. New construction everywhere and WISD has made no bones about the fact that enrollment is climbing fast. The current 7th grade class is the largest to date, in fact. Lots of young families purchasing new construction homes. Plans are underway to accommodate for the growth. It's not a secret. Nobody is hiding students or fudging numbers. It's a lot more fun to say we are though, huh? ;)

Ok...now back to how Wylie is hoping to beat Brownwood AGAIN this season! I think that would make the record 9-1 vs Brownwood since we have been in same classification. Something like that. I get confused with big numbers unless it comes to fudging enrollment ;). :taunt:

BwdLion73
11-23-2015, 08:06 AM
I think the big misconception comes from peoples vision of Abilene. I know that some of our 4a opponents have a poulation of 5 or 6 thousand. I have heard some who come to play at Brownwood talk about this hugh town of 19,000!
I can imagine when they roll into Wylie and pass the sign that says 115,000 the first thing you think is whoa we don't have to eat at Dairy Queen.

95mustang
11-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Much respect to Wylie from me. Yes they are bigger, no I don't think they fudge numbers like others. Since being in the same district and watching both junior high and high school games in multiple sports the biggest thing I have noticed is pride. School pride runs deep there. I have witnessed the football teams leading cheers on the sidelines of volleyball games, basketball games, and even large turnouts of the student body at cross country meets. No matter the sport or activity Abilene Wylie kids and parents show up and support their peers and kids. When things like this occurr then more kids want to participate and more kids strive to be better. There is a huge difference when performing in front of a small number of fans and a large number of fans. Nothing but respect for what they have going on over on the south side of Abilene.

canno
11-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Always believed Wylie has a top notch program
Competitive in all sports.

91 lion
11-23-2015, 10:06 AM
I think the big misconception comes from peoples vision of Abilene. I know that some of our 4a opponents have a poulation of 5 or 6 thousand. I have heard some who come to play at Brownwood talk about this hugh town of 19,000!
I can imagine when they roll into Wylie and pass the sign that says 115,000 the first thing you think is whoa we don't have to eat at Dairy Queen.

I dont think Wylie fudges their numbers at all. To me, the point made about participation hit it on the head and brings up another point that is often overlooked.....and thats the effect of town dynamics and industry. Yes, Brownwood has around 20K people, but many of them are retired and many move ins that came back to retire. That tradition statred back in the Camp Bowie days when many army personnel decided to move back after their time in the military was over....and its still happening today. i know a lot of folks in their 50's and 60's (not living in BWD now) that either have moved back are say that they will be moving back when they retire.....so the true numbers BWD is pulling from is closer to 8-10K versus the 20K on the population sign.

The second point is to town dynamics/industry. While Wylie is separate from Abilene school district, it is still the same town. Abilene has considerably more job opportunities for young professionals (with kids) than towns like Brownwood, Sweetwater, Snyder, etc, so young individuals gravitate to towns like Abilene to work....which makes since. So, with move ins happening, then the question becomes, 'where do we want to live in town?' Finding a home in Wylie school district becomes a no-brainer when the move in family does their research and sees the quality of the school and their programs. We just put a doctor in Abilene earlier this year that had never been there before and she was asking me about which part of town to look in to. Her son is an extremely high level band participant with many scholarship opportunities and it was important for them to find a school that he could continue growing. Without a second thought, I recommended Wylie. She was amazed at just how hard it was to find a home at the time, as her real estate agent told her that 'everyone moving to Abilene with school-aged kids want the Wylie schools, and that she should jump on the first thing that comes open, if she indeed wants Wylie, because it wont last long'.

In most traditional small towns, move ins do happen, but for BWD, its usually a kid or two coming from Bangs or Early....Abilene has bigger schools that are neighbors, and I'm sure that a few (not many) do find their way to the Wylie district over time....but a transfer from Cooper versus a transfer for Bangs are probably not going to be the same (usually).....

Wylie has a great problem on their hands.....growth caused by a demand for families that want their kids in their district....great problem to have. Factor in the sports programs draw, then it makes it to where the 'participation number' spikes.

if BWD adds 50 kids to HS numbers, maybe 20 play sports and 5 play football (in 4 grades)
if Wylie adds 50 kids to HS numbers, more like 40 play sports (band included) and 15 play football (in 4 grades)

I this is why you can see a school of similar size (from enrollment standards) look 3 times as big on friday night....3x size band, 2x number of kids playing, etc.

Kudos to Wylie for having the right mix and building your school district the right way....with quality around every corner. Im not mad at anything that you guys are doing.....i actually applaud it. you have to work with the hand that you were dealt, and wylie is making the most of a great hand.

slingshot
11-23-2015, 10:54 AM
I dont think Wylie fudges their numbers at all. To me, the point made about participation hit it on the head and brings up another point that is often overlooked.....and thats the effect of town dynamics and industry. Yes, Brownwood has around 20K people, but many of them are retired and many move ins that came back to retire. That tradition statred back in the Camp Bowie days when many army personnel decided to move back after their time in the military was over....and its still happening today. i know a lot of folks in their 50's and 60's (not living in BWD now) that either have moved back are say that they will be moving back when they retire.....so the true numbers BWD is pulling from is closer to 8-10K versus the 20K on the population sign.

The second point is to town dynamics/industry. While Wylie is separate from Abilene school district, it is still the same town. Abilene has considerably more job opportunities for young professionals (with kids) than towns like Brownwood, Sweetwater, Snyder, etc, so young individuals gravitate to towns like Abilene to work....which makes since. So, with move ins happening, then the question becomes, 'where do we want to live in town?' Finding a home in Wylie school district becomes a no-brainer when the move in family does their research and sees the quality of the school and their programs. We just put a doctor in Abilene earlier this year that had never been there before and she was asking me about which part of town to look in to. Her son is an extremely high level band participant with many scholarship opportunities and it was important for them to find a school that he could continue growing. Without a second thought, I recommended Wylie. She was amazed at just how hard it was to find a home at the time, as her real estate agent told her that 'everyone moving to Abilene with school-aged kids want the Wylie schools, and that she should jump on the first thing that comes open, if she indeed wants Wylie, because it wont last long'.

In most traditional small towns, move ins do happen, but for BWD, its usually a kid or two coming from Bangs or Early....Abilene has bigger schools that are neighbors, and I'm sure that a few (not many) do find their way to the Wylie district over time....but a transfer from Cooper versus a transfer for Bangs are probably not going to be the same (usually).....

Wylie has a great problem on their hands.....growth caused by a demand for families that want their kids in their district....great problem to have. Factor in the sports programs draw, then it makes it to where the 'participation number' spikes.

if BWD adds 50 kids to HS numbers, maybe 20 play sports and 5 play football (in 4 grades)
if Wylie adds 50 kids to HS numbers, more like 40 play sports (band included) and 15 play football (in 4 grades)

I this is why you can see a school of similar size (from enrollment standards) look 3 times as big on friday night....3x size band, 2x number of kids playing, etc.

Kudos to Wylie for having the right mix and building your school district the right way....with quality around every corner. Im not mad at anything that you guys are doing.....i actually applaud it. you have to work with the hand that you were dealt, and wylie is making the most of a great hand.:clap: Thank you. We went through the same thing in 2003. I had practiced in Big Spring for 11 years when the Covenant Clinic I worked for closed. I found a great opportunity to join an independent group in Abilene and had 3 young boys, after looking at the options for school districts we quickly decided Wylie was the right one. Have never regretted the decision.

ccmom
11-23-2015, 01:47 PM

Kudos to Wylie for having the right mix and building your school district the right way....with quality around every corner. Im not mad at anything that you guys are doing.....i actually applaud it. you have to work with the hand that you were dealt, and wylie is making the most of a great hand.

Great, informative post.

ccmom
11-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Much respect to Wylie from me. Yes they are bigger, no I don't think they fudge numbers like others. Since being in the same district and watching both junior high and high school games in multiple sports the biggest thing I have noticed is pride. School pride runs deep there. I have witnessed the football teams leading cheers on the sidelines of volleyball games, basketball games, and even large turnouts of the student body at cross country meets. No matter the sport or activity Abilene Wylie kids and parents show up and support their peers and kids. When things like this occurr then more kids want to participate and more kids strive to be better. There is a huge difference when performing in front of a small number of fans and a large number of fans. Nothing but respect for what they have going on over on the south side of Abilene.. I knew I liked you. ;)

91 lion
11-23-2015, 03:39 PM
:clap: Thank you. We went through the same thing in 2003. I had practiced in Big Spring for 11 years when the Covenant Clinic I worked for closed. I found a great opportunity to join an independent group in Abilene and had 3 young boys, after looking at the options for school districts we quickly decided Wylie was the right one. Have never regretted the decision.

Just calling it like I see it....and I know it's inevitable that you guys will move up, but there nothing like 4a football....the fans, the team and town pride.....gotta love it. I'm glad that you will be down a few more years....

clcannon17
11-23-2015, 03:59 PM
It's much easier for people to believe the tired old "Wylie cheats on enrollment numbers" than it is for them to accept the truth. :rolleyes: Your explanation was dead on. It's rare to find a student in WISD that isn't involved in multiple extra curricular activities. Heaven knows I drive my boys around to enough of them!

Clcannon17, although WISD is totally separate from AISD, many people think we can draw from the entire city of Abilene, which is simply not the case. We are a closed district, unlike AISD that allows transfers in. Heck, I have had kids in the district for years and know most everyone at all the campuses. However, last week when we purchased a new home, they would not let me change our address at the school until I brought them a deed for the new property. You are right about one thing though, south Abilene and the areas south of the city limits are definitely growing like crazy. New construction everywhere and WISD has made no bones about the fact that enrollment is climbing fast. The current 7th grade class is the largest to date, in fact. Lots of young families purchasing new construction homes. Plans are underway to accommodate for the growth. It's not a secret. Nobody is hiding students or fudging numbers. It's a lot more fun to say we are though, huh? ;)

Ok...now back to how Wylie is hoping to beat Brownwood AGAIN this season! I think that would make the record 9-1 vs Brownwood since we have been in same classification. Something like that. I get confused with big numbers unless it comes to fudging enrollment ;). :taunt:

I'm not saying that ya'll fudge numbers, I'm just saying, I'm suprised y'all haven't moved up yet. It seems to me ya'll should have, but I'm not in charge of counting numbers, so as far as rumors of cheating, I'll only joke about it. Much respect to y'all's school and football program. I'm just suprised ya'll haven't moved.

Tink4392
11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Have total respect for Wylie! Loved playing them in school growing up and love the rivalry they have with Graham no matter if we play each other in district or during pre district! Hope we continue to play each other for years to come, no matter what classification either team is in

slingshot
11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying that ya'll fudge numbers, I'm just saying, I'm suprised y'all haven't moved up yet. It seems to me ya'll should have, but I'm not in charge of counting numbers, so as far as rumors of cheating, I'll only joke about it. Much respect to y'all's school and football program. I'm just suprised ya'll haven't moved.Like ccmom said--AISD or other students cannot transfer into WISD unless they actually move into the district and can show proof of the move. WISD students can transfer into AISD at any time. Our district is the very southern tip of Abilene and the surrounding countryside--we have a ton of kids that live well outside Abilene. We are bordered on the north and east by AISD and the south by Jim Ned, in other words land-locked but there is a lot of previous farm and ranch land in our district that is being developed into new housing additions. Many of those homes are being bought by retirees here as well, the Air Force Base and VA Clinic draw them in...

91 lion
11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying that ya'll fudge numbers, I'm just saying, I'm suprised y'all haven't moved up yet. It seems to me ya'll should have, but I'm not in charge of counting numbers, so as far as rumors of cheating, I'll only joke about it. Much respect to y'all's school and football program. I'm just suprised ya'll haven't moved.

We all know that Wylie doesnt fudge numbers and that Highland Park is the only school that truly has the UIL by the puppet strings....hehe :stirpot:

nobogey72
11-23-2015, 04:52 PM
We all know that Wylie doesnt fudge numbers and that Highland Park is the only school that truly has the UIL by the puppet strings....hehe :stirpot:

Like Slingshot said, WISD doesn't allow transfers without proof of home ownership. We DO make occasional exceptions, based on height, weight, and 40 time. :D

slingshot
11-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Like Slingshot said, WISD doesn't allow transfers without proof of home ownership. We DO make occasional exceptions, based on height, weight, and 40 time. :D...well, of course. :evillol:

LionFan72
11-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Doesnt hurt when you have one of the finest coaches leading a fine WISD either! Sandifer does not get the credit he deserves!

LionFan72
11-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Sorry I didnt read all of the post up to this and what exactly started this conversation, but Wylie is one of the classiest programs in the state and any conjecture to taint their reputation is severely misguided!! jmho!!

garciap77
11-23-2015, 09:56 PM

A few years back there was an article in the Abilene Report News, about transfer students from Wylie going to AISD schools (Cooper/Abilene). At that time, there were over 350 student from Wylie attending AISD schools. Reasons from going to AISD were Air Force ROTC, Way more AP class, orchestra, including students who moved from AISD to Wylie, but wanted to completed their school in AISD. There was no cost in attending AISD. I know some parents who would not move to Wylie because their kids were excellent football players who wanted to play in 5A. Once their kids graduated, then they moved to Wylie because that's where most of the new home were being built. I'm not sure how many Wylie student are attending AISD schools at this time. So, I don't fault you for being surprised.:D

clcannon17
11-23-2015, 10:15 PM
A few years back there was an article in the Abilene Report News, about transfer students from Wylie going to AISD schools (Cooper/Abilene). At that time, there were over 350 student from Wylie attending AISD schools. Reasons from going to AISD were Air Force ROTC, Way more AP class, orchestra, including students who moved from AISD to Wylie, but wanted to completed their school in AISD. There was no cost in attending AISD. I know some parents who would not move to Wylie because their kids were excellent football players who wanted to play in 5A. Once their kids graduated, then they moved to Wylie because that's where most of the new home were being built. I'm not sure how many Wylie student are attending AISD schools at this time. So, I don't fault you for being surprised.:D

Exactly, lol, Wylie's program is very respectable and anyone who disagrees are usually jealous of yalls success.

ccmom
11-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Doesnt hurt when you have one of the finest coaches leading a fine WISD either! Sandifer does not get the credit he deserves!

Coach Sandifer was inducted into the THSCA Hall of Honor in 2012 and deservedly so. What a rare blessing to have a coach (and a man) of his caliber spend his entire coaching career at WHS. Many of his assistant coaches have been here a LONG time too. Some are even older than nobogey72...goodness, that's saying something! ;)

hollywood
11-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Coach Sandifer was inducted into the THSCA Hall of Honor in 2012 and deservedly so. What a rare blessing to have a coach (and a man) of his caliber spend his entire coaching career at WHS. Many of his assistant coaches have been here a LONG time too. Some are even older than nobogey72...goodness, that's saying something! ;)

Not to change the subject, well, it's kinda on the subject at hand... ccmom, how old is your sig?

slingshot
11-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Not to change the subject, well, it's kinda on the subject at hand... ccmom, how old is your sig?Just a guess, but going by the players I recognize I would say 2010 or 2011...

ccmom
11-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Not to change the subject, well, it's kinda on the subject at hand... ccmom, how old is your sig?

I was thinking it's from 2009, but I could be wrong. I have no idea how to post a sig so garcia did it for me. I can't see the images clear enough on my phone to make out the players. Guess that means the pic isn't the only thing that's old!!! ;)

LionFan72
11-24-2015, 08:54 AM

CLASS 4A DIVISION I AREA
ANDREWS VS. BROWNWOOD
Five things to watch

Wow, does this reporter work for the White House? Kinda slanted story there fellow!

LionFan72
11-24-2015, 09:01 AM

Building a quality PROGRAM is essential into a schools success, increases participation in all sports, and the additional funding from playoff games increases the availabillity of other programs! Just a win win for the community. It really takes time to build a program out to success, Abilene Wylie has achieved that goal. Congrats on a successful trek!

garciap77
11-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I was thinking it's from 2009, but I could be wrong. I have no idea how to post a sig so garcia did it for me. I can't see the images clear enough on my phone to make out the players. Guess that means the pic isn't the only thing that's old!!! ;)

How would you like this? If I can remember how to added to your sign.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12032808_984984608209270_2172995298656948553_o.jpg