PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to Bring Back 32 Districts for 4A

PurplePop
11-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Call your local UIL representative now and demand that the UIL bring back 32 districts in 4A just like 5A and 6A. Why the difference? This two year experiment failed miserably. Creating districts out of the split divisions makes for ridiculously weak divisions.
Ughhhhhh!!!!!!
P.S. Not really sure who to call. Hate to bug our head coach.

Red&White_9x5
11-03-2015, 08:54 AM
I don't see you getting much support for this at all. Sorry ,but the split divisions are staying. You actually have a better shot of 5A and 6A splitting theirs than you do getting 4A to do away with it

PurplePop
11-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I don't see you getting much support for this at all. Sorry ,but the split divisions are staying. You actually have a better shot of 5A and 6A splitting theirs than you do getting 4A to do away with it
I know. But, it really doesn't work well. The better D-II teams can beat most of the D-I teams, and vice-versa, of course. It really makes district a joke for the better D-II teams. Maybe one tough game. The other solution would be to expand 4A to 200+ schools. That would help 4A-DII with more competitive teams, but that won't happen either.

panfan
11-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Call your local UIL representative now and demand that the UIL bring back 32 districts in 4A just like 5A and 6A. Why the difference? This two year experiment failed miserably. Creating districts out of the split divisions makes for ridiculously weak divisions.
Ughhhhhh!!!!!!

Didn't all the superintendents vote on this split?

PurplePop
11-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Didn't all the superintendents vote on this split?
I don't know the history. Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail to the school.

panfan
11-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Ughhhhhh!!!!!!

There may be weak districts, but coaches have the option to play up during their pre-district and basically play who they want (that is assuming the other team agrees to play you). We used to schedule Rouse and some of the larger area schools for pre-district. Doesn't solve the district game issue but it does allow for better teams to challenge themselves prior to district.

lostaussie
11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
How has it "failed miserably". I kind of like it. At least you know who you may line up with come playoff time. We have won a D1and a D2 championship. Usually never knowing what direction we were going until playoffs start. For us, I believe this is the better way.

d0tc0m
11-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I personally liked the old way the best, but I don't think any of this really matters that much. Celina played in some pretty watered down districts in the old format as well. In the end, this stuff tends to sort itself out, and the teams that deserve to play for the title usually do, and the best team almost always hoists hardware in mid-December. Like someone else said, this format SHOULD encourage teams to schedule up in pre-district matchups.

lostaussie
11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I personally liked the old way the best, but I don't think any of this really matters that much. Celina played in some pretty watered down districts in the old format as well. In the end, this stuff tends to sort itself out, and the teams that deserve to play for the title usually do, and the best team almost always hoists hardware in mid-December. Like someone else said, this format SHOULD encourage teams to schedule up in pre-district matchups.

It definitely got us to schedule up. It also helps you heal up a little before the playoffs. We should hopefully be close to 100%

PurplePop
11-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Lostaussie - You're right. There were a lot of weak districts under the old system, too. I guess I just liked our "mixed" district a lot better than our current district. The better way to make 4A more competitive is to add about 20 teams at the top and then move about 10 4A-DI teams down to 4A-DII. There's about 60 more 5A schools right now than 4A. I don't know why the discrepancy there. I haven't been around very long paying attention to this stuff, obviously.

WOS87
11-03-2015, 12:48 PM
The UIL has openly stated they don't want any schools having to play each other in the same division that are more than twice the size of the other. 4A Div 2 just happens to be that gap where there are the fewest schools with an enrollment of 350-700ish. With more and more new schools opening up in the growing population areas of the state (I-35 corridor, suburban Houston, DFW and San Antonio and apparently
Amarillo) more schools will drop down.

orange machine
11-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I like the current setup, it seems to level the playing field a lot more. When you got a team that has 550 students compared to a school with a 1000 that's a huge difference.

1st and goal
11-03-2015, 02:05 PM
How has it "failed miserably". I kind of like it. At least you know who you may line up with come playoff time. We have won a D1and a D2 championship. Usually never knowing what direction we were going until playoffs start. For us, I believe this is the better way.

ditto. Hasn't really changed much for us. Still playing mostly the same teams. The thing about living near the center of the state is, sometimes we end up in Region IV, and sometimes in RIII.

It's best that a school with 400 something doesn't have to play a school with 1000 in the playoffs. Not that they can't win, but overall, getting higher caliber of athletes from a bigger pool improves your team.

Rabid Cougar
11-03-2015, 03:37 PM
ditto. Hasn't really changed much for us. Still playing mostly the same teams. The thing about living near the center of the state is, sometimes we end up in Region IV, and sometimes in RIII.

It's best that a school with 400 something doesn't have to play a school with 1000 in the playoffs. Not that they can't win, but overall, getting higher caliber of athletes from a bigger pool improves your team.

Really? How about being the furtherest East Distirct in Region 1, furtherest North District in Region IV and the furtherest West Team in Region III.
You can still be a school with 718 kids (China Spring) playing against schools with close to 1,100 (Gatesville- Lampasas) in the same District.

PurplePop
11-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I wasn't suggesting all 4A teams play each other in the playoffs. That's not the "old system." I was suggesting letting all 4A teams be together in regular season and broken into big school/small school for playoffs. That's the "old system" for 4A that 5A and 6A still use. Really it makes more sense for 5A and 6A to go to "new system" than 4A. Much bigger school size differences. One of the posters above said he thinks 5A and 6A heading in that direction. I guess 4A was the guinea pig.

1st and goal
11-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Really? How about being the furtherest East Distirct in Region 1, furtherest North District in Region IV and the furtherest West Team in Region III.
You can still be a school with 718 kids (China Spring) playing against schools with close to 1,100 (Gatesville- Lampasas) in the same District.

Y'all have more than Giddings or Lagrange...

Matthew328
11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Superintendents by a large margin voted for this system....its not going anywhere the coaches and admins want this system

sinfan75
11-03-2015, 08:39 PM
I don't have a problem with the split divisions. 15-4A D2 has been pretty competitive the last 2 years. Hope it stays the same for another 2 years.

Aesculus gilmus
11-03-2015, 08:54 PM
As long as gas prices stay low, I don't mind.

I don't think most people realized how much farther teams would travel in district and this definitely cramps the style of East Texans, but I'm sure West Texans are fine with it since they are used to taking all-day trips out there.

I know that our former coach who is now in Austin STRONGLY lobbied for the new system we now have.

Frankly, as long as Gilmer enrollment stays up here at the top of Division II, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this new string of district championships and victories well beyond that. Maybe we can break the old record of nine in a row. That'll take a while. We're only at two right now.

canno
11-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Would just like to see at least six teams in
Each district.that's the only complaint I have with
Split divisions in