PDA

View Full Version : ? Sweetwater @ Vernon

fury900
09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
SUNDAY SEP,7 2003
THE VERNON DAILY RECORD
The Altus game was scheduled to be Vernon's second game of the season, but weather forced last week's season-opener against Sweetwater to be cancelled. At the time the game was called, the Lions were leading 7-0 with 6:49 left in the first quaerter,and the Mustangs had yet to get the ball on offense.
The University Interscholastic League says thet when a game is called due to weather, whether the game is counted in the standings really depends on a decision by the coaches involved in the game.
"I don't know whether we're 1-0 or 2-0 and that doesn't really matter," Hall said.
"What ido know is that we're undefeated and every time we've left the field we've been up on the scoreboard."

I don't know whether we're 1-0 or 2-0 ??!

<small>[ September 08, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: fury900 ]</small>

heck
09-08-2003, 01:15 PM
If I was your ooach I would spin the Sweetwater game in such a light as to make the staff and team look good. But to tell the truth, Sweetwater had stuffed Vernon on the first series but fumbled a short punt (Stangs should have had the ball on the Vernon 40-45),Vernon was given a big break when they fumbled and was given the ball back on a blown call and then vernon received a spot that was incredibly generous on a 4th and 2. Add all this up and it was probably going to be a long night for the Mustangs! The Vernon coach does know the results of that game as it was discussed and it was decided to call it a "no-game" (how could anybody say it was a game without Sweetwater getting a shot on offense?). It would have been unfair to have Sweetwater go back on Sat. anyway as they got home around 2:45 a.m. and would have turned around and had to drive three hours on a "Yellow Dog". Their legs would have been dead and they would have been real tired. I also heard a neutral site was discussed as well, but Vernon wouldn't consider it (I wouldn't have either)...thus the game was ---not a game---!

As a side note: the ref came over to the bench and said "coach, your not going to like this but we have to call the game cause of lightning. It has been lightening for a while in the 5-8 mile range." Coachs response, " Why didn't you call it before Vernon scored?" Think about that one! Don't know where the ref's were from but I will wager they knew the vernon folks a lot better than the Sweetater Folks...:-) :)

<small>[ September 08, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

vet93
09-08-2003, 02:00 PM
I think that they should have returned and finished the game. Ballinger was in the same situation. They got back into Ballinger saturday morning at 2-3am and turned around for a 3 hour drive that afternoon and played Greenwood. At the time Midland had a 60% chance of rain for Saturday as well. Sometimes having to go through adversity and playing in a tough situation helps build character for the team. Plus...both teams felt like they needed the work (apparently this was the case because both teams had alot of penalities and turnovers). I think that both Greenwood and Ballinger will be better off at the end of the year because they stuck it out and played the game.

heck
09-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Can't argue vet, but vernon's field wasn't in too good of shape before the rains and I imagine that the coach up there really didn't want it torn up for the year. Didn't you play at Grande? Swater offered to host the game on turf but that was quickly ruled out! I can tell you though, the players wanted to go back. Swater and Vernon both have an open date at the same time but I don't know if playing then is being considered.

vet93
09-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Actually we had to play at Greenwood stadium instead of on the turf because the late afternoon timeslot at Grande was taken up by the Ft. Stockton/Colorado City game. An early afternoon timeslot was open at Grande but the turnaround would have been even more brutal because the team would have had to leave ballinger at mid-morning after gettin back into into town at 2 to 3 am. I really can't fault coach Jackson in a lot of ways because he had nothing but the best interest of his team in mind by canceling the game. Hindsight is always 20/20. As a fan I would have liked to have seen the game played.

heck
09-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Well cancelations always favor the home team, at least thats what I always thought. So Jackson was probably right not going back up there. Vernon will be a good team this year. I would be surprised if they aren't right in the mix for district champs with Graham. Don't know much about Iowa Park, except they lost to Burk. last week in ot.

Swater and Greenwood will be a good game. I think Collier-Sharp has Greenwood by 3. Weather shouldn't be a factor so I look for a close contest.

BTW, how was Greenwoods field? That was the worst field I've ever seen last year. Looks like my side yard, all grass burs and dandelions! I was also amazed that Greenwood fans didn't show up for the game. Lots of Blue Seats on there 50 were empty.

<small>[ September 09, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Ranger Mom
09-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Actually we had a new field put in this summer. We weren't able to do the turf because of the cotton fields. But, we put a nice grass field in. It looks better than I have ever seen it!

As far as the empty seats, I noticed that myself. I also know that many people who showed up at Grande ( in the rain ) had plans on Saturday because of the long holiday weekend. Neither band was there and we were missing cheerleaders and Ballinger's cheerleaders, were cheering from the stands.

The whole experience was kinda surreal!!

vet93
09-09-2003, 08:51 AM
From what I have heard from Rangermom and others in the past the field is in much better shape than it has ever been in. From all accounts it held up very well in the Ballinger game.

heck
09-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Mom,
What does the cotton fields have to do with putting in turf? I thought it was neat the way you all did your prayer. Put the speakers over in that cemetery or playground or whatever is adjacent to the visitors stands, so they would be off the campus, I believe. I was up there when we had to delay the game for about 2 hours! Thats when I noticed how many seats were unfilled. Actually I wanted to go over on your side and sit cause the Swater side was so crowded (not bragging mind you).
Glad you have new grass. You needed it! ha. With such a good team I would also think you guys would travel well. Do you? Swater will have plenty of room for you. Last week Graham didn't bring too many people which suprised me. Traveling in our district is getting to be a major pain...2-3 hours on most of our out of town games is the pits!

<small>[ September 09, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Ranger Mom
09-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Sorry, I was confused. I thought you were talking about the crowd at the Greenwood/Ballinger game a couple of weeks ago.

You don't want to get me started on the "fans" so I won't even go there. :mad:

As far as the turf goes, from what I understand we are surrounded by too much "dirt". The field would need to be redone into a bowl and would more than likely have to be vacuumed every day to keep the sand out of it. Even at that, we still could not get a guarantee that the turf would even hold up 3-5 years. It was just not cost effective for the school to do it.

If we ever DO build a new field, we want to go the bowl route, our field faces the wrong direction anyway doesn't it?? Greenwood's problem is lack of land. The school has just about spread as far as it can go!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Ok here are my two cents. The Vernon Swater game is a no game. I agree that Coach Hall is spinning it for the sake of his players and he is correct in that Vernon was leading. hey I would too. And also Heck is correct in that Vernon did go three and out, a sack on the first play, then a 5 yard procedure penalty. Then a run for the sake of punting room. Then the punt & the Vernon recovery and then the Td run. Special teams plays such a role in games. Vernon won against Altus because of special teams. Also their defense held Altus to 1 first down in the first half. I know that Swater's defense is very good also. Good athletes and a lot of returners. I think it would have been a low scoring game if it had been able to be played out. I don't think they will make this up in the bye week. It really serves no purpose to play this game now. That bye week is crutial for healing and game planning for district. So maybe Swater and Vernon will get a make up game in the playoffs where I think they both will end up. So the final word is Vernon and Sweetwater are both 1-0 and will only havd 9 regular season games.

<small>[ September 09, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>