PDA

View Full Version : Bay City football story from Bay City Tribune

Scoop27
10-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Brandon Cox
Bay City Tribune

Who is Kevin Dove? Bay City found out on Friday night at Memorial Stadium. The Ricebird running back racked up 183 yards and five touchdowns against the Blackcats. That guy is special, and it is no surprise that he is already committed to play at the next level. A sportswriter friend of mine from outside of the community attended the game and said Dove did something special on Friday night.

“I’ve watched him play a few times this season, and I have never seen him run as hard as he did tonight,” he said.

This column isn’t about Kevin Dove though; it’s about the Bay City Blackcats.

The Blue and Gold should hold their heads high, even in defeat. Bay City had the advantage in nearly every aspect of the game on Friday night, just not the win column. That’s nothing short of impressive after trying to stop an NFL-caliber back with a chip on his shoulder.

Bay City out-threw the Ricebirds, 118 yards to ten. The Blackcats were seemingly the most penalized team in the state until Friday night. Bay City only drew three flags to El Campo’s 12 penalties.

Between the 20-yard lines Bay City played like a team ready to win. It was a different story in the red zones however, where the Blackcats failed to convert. Costly mistakes on special teams gave the Ricebirds three scores. Without those mistakes we would have been witness to a nail-biter of epic and historic proportions.

I’ll start the noise for their next meeting a year early. Remove the prolific running back and Bay City wins the football game. Bay City will return most of their score-producing players and Dove will be at UTEP. I’ll call next year’s game now – Blackcats win 34-14.

In the meantime, the Blackcats have an opportunity to redeem themselves this week as they travel to West Columbia to take on the struggling Roughnecks. For the most part, the Blue and Gold are happy to have the El Campo game behind them.

“It’s like we’ve got the beast behind us,” said Bay City head coach Lupe Florez. “Now they can take a breath of fresh air. We’re having our best week of practice of the season.”

Bay City’s coaching staff is confident in their game plan in anticipation of the road trip to West Columbia.

“We’ve put a solid game plan together against these guys. They’re a true 4-3 defense, and that opens us up to some options,” said Florez.

Against El Campo Bay City accomplished a feat that the record books haven’t seen in a handful of years. The Blackcats were able to run the ball more than they threw it. Coach Florez loves the ability to run the ball and balance the offense.

On another note the Blackcats are healthy again, and at the right time. Injured players have all recovered for the most part and will be active Friday night. They are fighting for their starting spots back from the young men that came in during their absences and proved themselves.

A win for Bay City this week would lock in something we haven’t seen for quite a while, a playoff berth.

“We win this week and it’s a done deal,” said Florez. “We actually moved up in the polls above Needville and West Columbia this week, even after a loss to El Campo. We’re feeling pretty good.”

Roughneck93
10-29-2015, 06:40 AM
We'll run Bell right down their throats....

Go Necks!

Roughneck93
10-30-2015, 11:23 PM
We'll run Bell right down their throats....

Go Necks!

Mission accomplished...:2thumbsup