PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer at Nevada Community

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Moved to Thursday night @7:00

jason
10-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Is losing that extra day of preparation going to hinder gilmer's chance of putting up 70??

waterboy
10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Is losing that extra day of preparation going to hinder gilmer's chance of putting up 70??

Yes.

:D

I don't "think" we'll hit 70. Now, 60? Maybe... :D

d0tc0m
10-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Speaking of Gilmer ... I hit a 2:00 lull at work today, so I went over to Smoaky and read through the last five or six pages of the Gilmer - Bullard game thread. I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a midday pick-me-up. Plenty of scholarly conversation over there, with such refined control of the English language, you'll leave feeling you've just finished reading Hemingway or Faulkner, or some other American great.

waterboy
10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Speaking of Gilmer ... I hit a 2:00 lull at work today, so I went over to Smoaky and read through the last five or six pages of the Gilmer - Bullard game thread. I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a midday pick-me-up. Plenty of scholarly conversation over there, with such refined control of the English language, you'll leave feeling you've just finished reading Hemingway or Faulkner, or some other American great.

:spitlol:

I've read all of it, and made some contributions to the thread. So, yes, it is scholarly! :D

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 03:11 PM

I was wondering if anybody had seen that. 8-0 with a 24 game win streak........and you would think we had lost 6 in a row. Some folks expectations are not real.

orange machine
10-27-2015, 03:11 PM

LMBO that's hilarious.

Gsquared
10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
That's a LONG drive for Gilmer to come, put up 50 in the first quarter and then the 2's and 3's and some 4's play the rest of the 3 quarters........

orange machine
10-27-2015, 03:15 PM
I was wondering if anybody had seen that. 8-0 with a 24 game win streak........and you would think we had lost 6 in a row. Some folks expectations are not real.

It happens at every powerhouse program, but after last years Gilmer team that was loaded this years team probably does seem bad. Welcome back to earth Gilmer fans!

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 03:19 PM
It's not me. I'm realistic. Some over here aren't.

On the same note......I have been wanting to ask. When Celina went through some "more down" years after winning all those championships did y'all go thru this? I mean it's like the Hatfield's and McCoys on the other sight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

waterboy
10-27-2015, 03:20 PM

I'm happy to be sitting at 8-0. I would be even happier if we finished 16-0! :D

We are GILMER...

...and we are spoiled! :D

orange machine
10-27-2015, 03:23 PM

On the same note......I have been wanting to ask. When Celina went through some "more down" years after winning all those championships did y'all go thru this? I mean it's like the Hatfield's and McCoys on the other sight.

Heck yes its part of the process. Your winning, but it just doesn't look good its sloppy and even ugly at times and your thinking we are going to make the playoffs, but we wont make it past such and such round. It is very tough to be on the very top for a real long time, but here's the deal even though your not as good your powerhouse programs will find a way to win most games even if ugly and still make a nice playoff run. Think about it this way when was the last time you did not see Gilmer, Celina, Navasota, Argyle ect. in the top 10? Those are powerhouse teams that have a shot every year it seems like.

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 03:23 PM
I would be too. But we are not going to do it every year. I know that and you know that. Some haven't figured it out yet I guess.

d0tc0m
10-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Well, that's what winning does for you! Bobcat fans know all about it. I thought Celina would implode on itself in 2009 - worst Bobcats season I've ever seen with some of the most underachieving talent we've ever had. Of course, we were coming off four straight state title appearances, winning two of those (should've been three in a row, dang LH field goal in 2006). And that 2004 team should have gone to state as well, so us Bobcat fans were pretty spoiled there for a while.

But my goodness, some of those Gilmer fans are just cracking me up. They have a great defense, an offense that's still filled with athletes and a head coach that — although he's new at the helm — still has a history of winning and a coaching staff to back him up. But because they graduated a once-in-a-millennium team that could've named its score in every game it played, and because this team physically can't do what that team did, some Buckeyes think the sky is falling.

d0tc0m
10-27-2015, 03:34 PM

I mentioned the 2009 season in my last post. But the 2010-13 seasons were just as bad for the Bobcats faithful. Especially during those 2010-12 years. Those were some of the fastest Celina teams I've ever seen. I mean we had Div. I track speed on both sides of the ball. Plus, Gatordaze's boys were on the team, and they could flat out play. There was lots of hope for those teams. But there were some missing pieces around them, and the coaching staff was still treading water in the post Moore/Ford era, and it showed. And there was no shortage of grumbling among the Celina community. Again, for better or worse, that's what happens when you get used to winning championships. You just come to expect it, you forget that it's teenage boys playing their hearts out, and anything short of a title feels shallow.

waterboy
10-27-2015, 03:51 PM
After a team like we had last year, graduating so many playmakers, and losing Jeff as the head coach, I wasn't expecting us to be anywhere near that level this season. Realistically, I was thinking we could lose one or two preseason games, but we found a way to win them all. Make no mistake about it, there is some deep talent on this team, and if they fix some little things and get on a roll, we could end up at the top of the heap once again. Realistically, though, there's definitely enough talent there, but this team has a long way to go to get to that level. Just being real.

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 04:09 PM
After a team like we had last year, graduating so many playmakers, and losing Jeff as the head coach, I wasn't expecting us to be anywhere near that level this season. Realistically, I was thinking we could lose one or two preseason games, but we found a way to win them all. Make no mistake about it, there is some deep talent on this team, and if they fix some little things and get on a roll, we could end up at the top of the heap once again. Realistically, though, there's definitely enough talent there, but this team has a long way to go to get to that level. Just being real.

I believe we can win it too. But we may not and if we don't I'm OK with that. It's been a damn good run since 2003. One that nearly every school represented on this board would take. But at the end of the day, I'm not going to bitch and moan about Little Johnny not playing the correct position or Jim Bob not getting enough playing time. I'm not the coach, they don't pay me to coach, so I'm going to let the coaches do there job. Are there things that sometimes make me go hmmmm. You bet. But the coaches are doing what they think is best, the kids are playing as hard as they can for the most part, and I'm good with that. Win or lose, I'm good with that.

d0tc0m
10-27-2015, 04:13 PM
And the crazy thing is the Buckeyes have more than a puncher's chance at making it back to the state title game. Some of those Black Flag fans on the other site are just panicky because, even for a program like Gilmer, the Buckeyes haven't really been in a position to repeat as champs. This could be the year, though. Time will tell.

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 04:29 PM
And the crazy thing is the Buckeyes have more than a puncher's chance at making it back to the state title game. Some of those Black Flag fans on the other site are just panicky because, even for a program like Gilmer, the Buckeyes haven't really been in a position to repeat as champs. This could be the year, though. Time will tell.

I agree 100% with that. We are not as good as last year. But I don't think we have to be. I still see us getting out of RII and then we will let the chips fall where they may.

waterboy
10-27-2015, 04:43 PM
I believe we can win it too. But we may not and if we don't I'm OK with that. It's been a damn good run since 2003. One that nearly every school represented on this board would take. But at the end of the day, I'm not going to bitch and moan about Little Johnny not playing the correct position or Jim Bob not getting enough playing time. I'm not the coach, they don't pay me to coach, so I'm going to let the coaches do there job. Are there things that sometimes make me go hmmmm. You bet. But the coaches are doing what they think is best, the kids are playing as hard as they can for the most part, and I'm good with that. Win or lose, I'm good with that.

I agree. I don't always agree with the coaches' decisions, either, even when Jeff was here, and I, too, see things that make me go "hmmmm". Nobody is perfect, and our new coach has a huge onus following Jeff's success. We may question some of the things Coach Turner does, but he needs to be given a fair opportunity. When Jeff first became head coach, I was shocked at what I was seeing on the field, especially on offense. The spread was something nobody in our area ran that I know of, and I had never seen it before. I remember thinking, "Hmmmm, I don't think this is gonna work." Of course, I was dead wrong. I was in the "we are playing the wrong QB" for a while, too, but I've since accepted that Zac Spears is our QB, and have grown to like his grit. He has shown marked improvement since game one. I have no doubt about one thing, and that is that these kids won't quit, and the team has the heart of a lion. We may, or may not, be able to make it back to the top this year, but I am gonna be backing the Buckeyes regardless.

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 04:48 PM
I like Zac also. My one wish is that we had played the Rice kid a little more. Not to take his place, but you can't ever get enough varsity experience.

waterboy
10-27-2015, 05:12 PM
I like Zac also. My one wish is that we had played the Rice kid a little more. Not to take his place, but you can't ever get enough varsity experience.

I know I've made some complaints. I think we all have at one point or another. One big difference between Jeff and Matt is that Jeff wouldn't hesitate to sub in a different player at any position. Matt will learn over time that sometimes you have to make changes when you're not being effective at what you're trying to do on the field. He will learn with experience what he can do to make the best out of the athletes he has at his disposal. I say give him at least a couple of years to make his mark on the team. He deserves that chance.

orange machine
10-27-2015, 05:34 PM
I know I've made some complaints. I think we all have at one point or another. One big difference between Jeff and Matt is that Jeff wouldn't hesitate to sub in a different player at any position. Matt will learn over time that sometimes you have to make changes when you're not being effective at what you're trying to do on the field. He will learn with experience what he can do to make the best out of the athletes he has at his disposal. I say give him at least a couple of years to make his mark on the team. He deserves that chance.

You guys need to be telling your fellow brethren over in Bucknut land these things. Like dotcom ive read the Bullard thread and some other things and Gilmer folks are being unlike Gilmer lol. One guy I cant remember his name is dogging on the qb for not being able to throw the deep ball. Anyways Celina fans know your pain very well. All programs that are elite go through this, I just wonder how Argyle is gonna deal with it.

Aguilafanatico
10-27-2015, 05:55 PM
You guys need to be telling your fellow brethren over in Bucknut land these things. Like dotcom ive read the Bullard thread and some other things and Gilmer folks are being unlike Gilmer lol. One guy I cant remember his name is dogging on the qb for not being able to throw the deep ball. Anyways Celina fans know your pain very well. All programs that are elite go through this, I just wonder how Argyle is gonna deal with it.

:fnypost:

orange machine
10-27-2015, 06:04 PM
:fnypost:

No disrespect, but every program deals with it differently, I would expect yall to be ok.

lostaussie
10-27-2015, 08:15 PM
No disrespect, but every program deals with it differently, I would expect yall to be ok.

If and when they start losing, I'm not going to be there to hate........I'm gonna be there to instigate:D

waterboy
10-28-2015, 07:39 AM

I don't think it will do any good over there. I know. I've tried. The thing is, there are several people over there that are not from Gilmer keeping the pot stirred, and they are loving every minute of it. It's embarrassing to say the least. I just hope our players, coaches, and parents can stay on the same page, and not let politics and hearsay divide them. Could we be better? Absolutely. Will we improve? Likely. Will we be ready when we go up against the good teams? I certainly hope so.

I guess sometimes a leadership change has a negative effect on the fans. I have NO doubt that Matt Turner is an excellent coach. I think he just needs a little time, adjustment period if you will. Jeff Traylor had it a lot easier because we had been down for quite a few years when he took over. Five championship games and three titles later, and then Matt has to follow that kind of success? Good grief! I feel for him.

...And sooner or later Argyle and Navasota will be going through some of the same things. They may handle things a little better. Who knows?

waterboy
10-28-2015, 09:50 AM
That thread over there has finally died down, and cooler heads have prevailed. I hope that's the last time that happens to be honest.

Maybe I should go over there and stir it up a little... :stirpot:

Just kidding! :D

buckeyebob
10-28-2015, 02:17 PM

When the pundits work on our rating, they will consider that

buckeyebob
10-28-2015, 02:21 PM
I would be too. But we are not going to do it every year. I know that and you know that. Some haven't figured it out yet I guess.

Bite your tongue...we will do it every year...

buckeyebob
10-28-2015, 02:26 PM
I agree. I don't always agree with the coaches' decisions, either, even when Jeff was here, and I, too, see things that make me go "hmmmm". Nobody is perfect, and our new coach has a huge onus following Jeff's success. We may question some of the things Coach Turner does, but he needs to be given a fair opportunity. When Jeff first became head coach, I was shocked at what I was seeing on the field, especially on offense. The spread was something nobody in our area ran that I know of, and I had never seen it before. I remember thinking, "Hmmmm, I don't think this is gonna work." Of course, I was dead wrong. I was in the "we are playing the wrong QB" for a while, too, but I've since accepted that Zac Spears is our QB, and have grown to like his grit. He has shown marked improvement since game one. I have no doubt about one thing, and that is that these kids won't quit, and the team has the heart of a lion. We may, or may not, be able to make it back to the top this year, but I am gonna be backing the Buckeyes regardless.

As an extra...Bux seem to be at peak in Week 1 in years past...I think we are doing the "regular team thing" this year & peaking about right.

buckeyebob
10-28-2015, 02:28 PM
That thread over there has finally died down, and cooler heads have prevailed. I hope that's the last time that happens to be honest.

Maybe I should go over there and stir it up a little... :stirpot:

Just kidding! :D

mmmmmm...think I will