PDA

View Full Version : Former Cuero athlete killed in car wreck -- very sad news

pirate4state
10-26-2015, 11:31 AM
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2015/oct/25/former-cuero-star-athlete-27-dies-in-crash/

Haven't seen anything about this on here, but such tragic news. I remember watching Fabian run up & down against us 10 years ago. Prayers for his family, friends and the Cuero community.

Pudlugger
10-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I remember Fabian he was a real fine football player. He ran all over out Leps when we played Cuero away in 2005 and again the following year at home in 2006. What a shame a fine young man like him has his life taken so early due to another's carelessness in failing to yield at an intersection! [Follow the link at the bottom of the page for details on the accident.] Very sad. Prayers for his family, friends and community.

Scoop27
10-26-2015, 12:26 PM
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2015/oct/25/former-cuero-star-athlete-27-dies-in-crash/

1st and goal
10-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Sad. Prayers for the family and the town.

44INAROW
10-26-2015, 02:19 PM
For those unable to open the link..... I've posted the story below - there is a nice picture with the article.. Mike Forman did an outstanding job with the article...... God Bless You, Fabian..... I would have posted sooner but been unable to bring myself to do it - Fabian and Johnny grew up together - very, very sad.. We're burying another Gobbler tomorrow - (from 1987 Championship team) and now this..
**** I've just posted the update -(at the end) with some details of the horrible accident...

www.victoriaadvocte.com

Former Cuero athletic director director and head football coach Mark Reeve was joking with Fabian Olguin when he visited Cuero in August for the taping of a Fox Sports Southwest documentary.

Reeve knew Olguin loved to fish and had heard Olguin was thinking of selling his boat.

"I was talking to him and he said he had been playing golf," Reeve said Sunday by phone from his Mountain Home residence. "I said, 'What's happening? You're getting rid of your boat so you can play golf?' He said, 'No, I'm just planning on buying a different boat.'"

Reeve couldn't help but think of the conversation when he learned Sunday that Olguin, 27, had died in a wreck Saturday night.

No official report had been released by the Department of Public Safety as of Sunday night, but trooper Anthony Flores confirmed the wreck occurred at 9 p.m. Saturday in Karnes County.

"He really cared about people," Reeve said. "No matter what he was competing in - whether it was football or track - he gave everything he could possibly do. I think when you look at what he did at Cuero High School he would have to be one of the all-time great athletes because he basically helped us win two state championships in track and helped us become a state finalist and make a semifinal run in football."

"He always did it with a humble attitude," Reeve added. "He never made it about himself. He's touched so many lives. It's been a really tough day for me because he was so special."

Olguin was a member of Cuero's state championship track and field teams in 2005 and 2006, and helped the Gobblers finish second in 2007 when he was selected as the Outstanding Male Athlete on the Advocate's all-area track and field team.

"I coached him since the seventh grade," said Cuero track and field coach Victor Mathis. "He was a great kid. He was like a son. You couldn't ask for a better kid. He was always there on time. He would do anything that you asked of him."

Olguin played running back for the Gobblers and was a member of the 2004 team that advanced to the state final, the 2005 team that went to the regional playoffs, and the 2006 team that advanced to the state semifinals.

He rushed for 1,483 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior and earned honorable mention all-state honors before going on to play for one season at Mary Hardin-Baylor.

Former Cuero quarterback Kyle Noack said Olguin, his roommate at Mary Hardin-Baylor, was the consummate teammate.

"Fabian was probably the definition of everything you look for in the teammate," Noack said. "He never complained about anything. He was always leading the way, working as hard as anybody. He was kind the glue that held everything together. He was full of energy, but at the same time he was dependable, reliable and that force for us that we could always lean on when we needed to get something done."

Reeve coached a number of great athletes during his 39 years in the profession. He ranked Olguin near the top of the list.

"He's one of those guys you're glad to get a chance to work with - guys like that they don't come along every day," Reeve said. "He just loved life whether it was his family or his friends or his teammates.

"He just gave them everything he had. He just seemed to keep everybody together. I don't know pound for pound if we ever had a more fierce competitor than him. I don't know if he ever had a bad game or a bad practice. It was just Fabian."

Olguin is survived by his wife, Monica, parents, Rene and Debra, and sisters, Brooke and Kayla.

Services are pending with Freund Funeral Home in Cuero.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:01 a.m.
Updated Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:01 a.m.

The Texas Department of Public Safety released a report Monday morning detailing the fatal two-vehicle crash that occurred Saturday in Karnes County about five miles south of Gillett.

Towing a semi-trailer around 7:20 p.m. was Shane Prudhomme, 41, of Eunice, La., who traveling west on FM 627 and stopped at the stop sign at the open intersection of U.S. Highway 80, said DPS Trooper Anthony Flores.

Prudhomme failed to yield as a white 2013 Ford F150, driven by Fabian Olguin, 27, of Cuero, was traveling northbound on the highway, which has a 70 miles per hour limit, approaching the same intersection.

When Prudhomme proceeded through the intersection, the front portion of the pickup truck Olguin was driving struck the left side of the trailer.

At 9:35 p.m., Olguin was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace, Precinct 3, Delia Villanueva.

Although Flores said Prudhomme, who did not report having any injuries, was at fault for failure to yield, Prudhomme has not yet been issued a citation.

Flores said the crash is still under investigation.

Phil C
10-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Sad. Prayers for the family and the town.

Me too. :(

KingRob
10-28-2015, 01:12 AM
i know the Lord will help them in their time of grief. To the Olguin family and friends....always remember that he touched many lives. My deepest sympathies.

Gen.Pat
10-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Prayers sent for his family and friends.