PDA

View Full Version : Giddings

PurplePop
10-25-2015, 11:58 AM
How good are they? Can they win Region III i.e. how do they stack up against you know who?

lostaussie
10-25-2015, 12:07 PM
How good are they? Can they win Region III i.e. how do they stack up against you know who?

Who is you know who?

PurplePop
10-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Who is you know who?
West Orange-Stark

WOS87
10-25-2015, 03:53 PM
We've played the Buffs in several huge games over the years. Beat them 34-14 last year in the 2nd round. They were definitely our toughest competition in the region as we outscored the other 3 playoff opponents 140-7 I think. Giddings should be the odds on favorite to win. ;)

PurplePop
10-25-2015, 04:47 PM
We've played the Buffs in several huge games over the years. Beat them 34-14 last year in the 2nd round. They were definitely our toughest competition in the region as we outscored the other 3 playoff opponents 140-7 I think. Giddings should be the odds on favorite to win. ;)
WOS is the clear favorite in the region, I was just wondering how Giddings stacks up against the Mustangs. They keep winning and beat La Grange on Friday and not much is said about them. I know their QB is having a great year. Also, I recently read that the head coach is the QB's dad, which gives them a little X factor if you know what I mean.

griff
10-25-2015, 05:41 PM
WOS is the clear favorite in the region, I was just wondering how Giddings stacks up against the Mustangs. They keep winning and beat La Grange on Friday and not much is said about them. I know their QB is having a great year. Also, I recently read that the head coach is the QB's dad, which gives them a little X factor if you know what I mean.

If both WO-S and Giddings win out the regular season, they would not meet up until the regional finals (round 4). The WO-S offense has only one returning starter - the QB - who's had a fine season. They are well-balanced with rushing and passing. Four players are rotated at RB. One of them has been out with an injury for a month, but they have not missed a beat. He will be back for the playoffs. In fact, because of that injury, they've "found" another tailback who has looked the best of them all. The receiving corps also has four guys who are targeted. Overall, the offense looks really good. Even with all of the new starters this season, the offense looked to be ahead of the defense to begin the season based on the scrimmages and first couple of games. Since then (with the exception of the Richmond Foster monster they played), the defense has steadily improved. WO-S has given up only 3 points in district, has three shutouts on the year, and it would not surprise me if they shut out their final district opponent next week (HJ). Plenty of speed on the defensive side, as usual.

Giddings would be a good test and no one is assuming WO-S would win. They were the best team WO-S played in this region last season. In fact, that game wasn't really decided until late in the 3rd quarter/beginning of the 4th. The closest comparison of WO-S opponents to Giddings would be Silsbee. They are similar in talent, especially on offense. WO-S won that one 49-28, but I'm not suggesting a WO-S vs. Giddings match up would have the same result or similar score. Just food for thought. Let's hope both teams keep winning and that match up will happen in a few weeks.

buff4ever
10-25-2015, 08:03 PM
That would be a fun match up. Historically speaking, we take turns winning that game. That means it is our turn.

WOS is definetily the team to beat year in and year out.

1st and goal
10-26-2015, 06:47 AM
I heard that WOS had some scouts at the Giddings/LG game. Not sure if that is true, just what I heard.

There have been some great matchups between these 2. I remember the Pearland playoff game. Windy, cold and raining. WOS had a lead at half and the Buffs put in the backup QB (who had hardly any game time at QB). We had multiple plays where our receivers were going deep, and had a step or 2 on the defenders but the driving wind sailed the ball just an inch or so past their fingertips. So close. WOS held on for the win. I remember the lighting at that stadium was pretty crappy, especially considering the weather.

OLE'BULL
10-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Giddings is good, I just dont see them running the table or anything. The only time I have watched them play was versus Bellville. We lost by 2 points, and we missed 2 extra points during the game. Not saying we would have won in OT, but we aren't as strong as in years past, and we had just lost our returning District MVP at running back and were fitting new people in. Those that know our offense, we run the ball 90% of the time so the RB's are very important to our success. Unless we are better than I believe we are, I think IF the Buffs get to face WOS in Round 4, then WOS will run away with it. Who knows, we are playing better football than when we played Giddings, they could be playing better football too. Like I said, that is the only game I have to compare...

buff4ever
10-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Giddings is good, I just dont see them running the table or anything. The only time I have watched them play was versus Bellville. We lost by 2 points, and we missed 2 extra points during the game. Not saying we would have won in OT, but we aren't as strong as in years past, and we had just lost our returning District MVP at running back and were fitting new people in. Those that know our offense, we run the ball 90% of the time so the RB's are very important to our success. Unless we are better than I believe we are, I think IF the Buffs get to face WOS in Round 4, then WOS will run away with it. Who knows, we are playing better football than when we played Giddings, they could be playing better football too. Like I said, that is the only game I have to compare...

You have some valid points, but let's not forget that we spotted you 14 points in that game. That Was Probably Our Least Well Played game.

Just have to keep getting better week to week, that is what the best teams do at this time of year.

Pudlugger
10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Well I'll chime in here and say that Giddings may surprise some folks in the playoffs. If WOS gets by LG or Wharton then they will certainly be challenged by the Buffs. That Giddings Qb is very sharp, accurate and cool under pressure but so is Mr. Dallas of WOS. Of course I'm hoping for a second shot at the Buffs but that is a steep hill to climb right now.

OLE'BULL
10-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Well I'll chime in here and say that Giddings may surprise some folks in the playoffs. If WOS gets by LG or Wharton then they will certainly be challenged by the Buffs. That Giddings Qb is very sharp, accurate and cool under pressure but so is Mr. Dallas of WOS. Of course I'm hoping for a second shot at the Buffs but that is a steep hill to climb right now.

WOS won't have a problem getting by La Grange, sorry Pud! I also don't think they will have a problem with Wharton or Giddings either. Just my 2 pennies!

GUNHO
10-26-2015, 06:30 PM
WOS won't have a problem getting by La Grange, sorry Pud! I also don't think they will have a problem with Wharton or Giddings either. Just my 2 pennies!

Oh good.Can we just skip these games and wait for the region 4 winner then?:D

griff
10-26-2015, 09:33 PM
I heard that WOS had some scouts at the Giddings/LG game. Not sure if that is true, just what I heard.

There have been some great matchups between these 2. I remember the Pearland playoff game. Windy, cold and raining. WOS had a lead at half and the Buffs put in the backup QB (who had hardly any game time at QB). We had multiple plays where our receivers were going deep, and had a step or 2 on the defenders but the driving wind sailed the ball just an inch or so past their fingertips. So close. WOS held on for the win. I remember the lighting at that stadium was pretty crappy, especially considering the weather.

You are correct. WO-S coaches were scouting that game. Both teams are potential WO-S playoff opponents.

Cam
10-26-2015, 10:09 PM
....with a freshly painted buffalo.....anything can happen!!!.....Go Buffs!!!

WOS1
10-26-2015, 10:52 PM

This is a good possibility. :)

buff4ever
10-27-2015, 08:10 AM
....with a freshly painted buffalo.....anything can happen!!!.....Go Buffs!!!

Been a long time cam, just painted last year, that should be at least good for 5 years. Don't know what kinda paint you use over in burnet? Maybe walmart.

Cam
10-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Been a long time cam, just painted last year, that should be at least good for 5 years. Don't know what kinda paint you use over in burnet? Maybe walmart.

.....nope....we just head on over to Hoover's Hardware and buy Krylon spray paint....that a way we can use the leftovers to graffiti up Thomas The Tank Engine when he shows up once a year for the kids!.....:doh::evillol:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/tank.jpg