PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater (7-0)(2-0) at Monahans (4-3)(2-0)

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 03:41 PM
For all intents and purposes this is for the 2-4A DII title.

Will give score by score updates beginning at kickoff. For the Sweewater
folks pay close attention to the names of the players I mention. As basically
all of the return next season.

d0tc0m
10-23-2015, 03:45 PM
I'll take Sweetwater by a lot in this one. Very potent offense and a defense that looks - numbers-wise, anyway - to be improved over last season. Still looking like a Bobcats/Mustangs rematch in the quarters again.

slingshot
10-23-2015, 03:48 PM
'Stangs roll and will keep on rolling until they get smacked by Celina. Playing a cupcake schedule will bite them in the end...

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 04:05 PM
'Stangs roll and will keep on rolling until they get smacked by Celina. Playing a cupcake schedule will bite them in the end...

Maybe or maybe not. But, if Sweetwater did beat Celina and Celina beat Argyle and Argyle beat Wylie I guess that would mean...oh never mind.

slingshot
10-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Maybe or maybe not. But, if Sweetwater did beat Celina and Celina beat Argyle and Argyle beat Wylie I guess that would mean...oh never mind.If Sweetwater beats Celina my hat's off to them... just don't think you get better beating up on 3A and selected weaker 4A teams.

nobogey72
10-23-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Monahans wins this game. Conditions could be sloppy which is right up Monahans alley. Coach Owens can play keep-a-way about as good as anybody in the business. You heard it here first. I actually hope that Sweetwater wins and keeps it going but this whole scenario is in Monahans' wheelhouse.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Monahans wins this game. Conditions could be sloppy which is right up Monahans alley. Coach Owens can play keep-a-way about as good as anybody in the business. You heard it here first. I actually hope that Sweetwater wins and keeps it going but this whole scenario is in Monahans' wheelhouse.

As long as it doesn't come down to an extra point kick we will be fine. We've tried that once this season and it was ugly.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Sweetwater 0
Monahans 3

9:39 left in 1st quarter

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Sweetwater 8
Monahans 3

8:16 left in 1st quarter

6 yard TD run by QB Thompson (sophomore)
2 pt conversion pass Thompson to Lawrence (senior)

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Sweetwater 16
Monahans 3

9:22 left in 2nd quarter

69 yard TD run L. Williams (junior)
2 pt conversion pass Thompson to D. Williams (senior)

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Sweetwater 16
Monahans 10

5:43 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Sweetwater 22
Monahans 10

3:48 left in 2nd quarter

20 yard TD run Jacoby Hunt (junior)

2 pt run no good

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Sweetwater 22
Monahans 17

9:23 left in third quarter

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Sweetwater 30
Monahans 17

5:40 left in 3rd quarter

Thompson 4 yard TD pass to Lawrence
2 pt conversion pass from Thompson to Jordan McGee (junior) is good

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Sweetwater 30
Monahans 24

2:03 left in 3rd quarter

Tejastrue
10-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Loboes playing some smash-mouth.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Sweetwater 38
Monahans 24

11:52 left in fourth quarter

14 yard TD run Hunt
2 pt conversion pass from Thompson to Lawrence is good.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Sweetwater 38
Monahans 31

8:09 left in fourth quarter

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Sweetwater 38
Monahans 37

2:50 left in game

Monahans went for two and pass is incomplete

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Sweetwater 38
Monahans 37

Final

STANG RED
10-23-2015, 10:15 PM

They had all the momentum, and a real good chance to win in OT. But your buddy Coach Owens called a completely bone headed play, when he could have easily tied the game, but elected to go for 2. One heck of a game though. Both teams will have lots of guys in the whirlpool and ice tonight and tomorrow.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Oh and whew! :D

Sweetwater Red
10-24-2015, 10:10 AM
http://www.oaoa.com/oavarsity/article_8b057ffa-7a11-11e5-b61a-cb2abb950ec7.html?mode=jqm

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Monahans' upset bid against Sweetwater falls one point short

MONAHANS The Monahans Loboes’ valiant attempt at putting the first blemish on the Sweetwater Mustangs’ record fell one point and one play short.

The Loboes fell at home at Estes Memorial Stadium to the Mustangs 38-37 in front of a raucous crowd of around 4,000.

After scoring two straight fourth quarter touchdowns to nearly erase its 14-point deficit, Monahans head coach Mickey Owens decided to go for the win instead of kicking an extra point with less than three minutes left in the game.

“We didn’t feel like (the game) needed to go into overtime. We were having trouble with (Sweetwater’s) extra points, so we felt like we have to go for two and take a shot here,” Owens said. “We would still have to hold them, but it’s something you take a chance on.”

Despite the high snap, Monahans holder Korbin Layton grabbed the ball out of midair and tossed it to swingman Neeko Arredondo, who then lobbed a pass to the corner of the end zone towards fullback Matt Ligon, who couldn’t reel it in due to pressure from a Sweetwater defender.

“(Sweetwater) covered it well,” Owens said. “I wouldn’t second guess that. We planned it.”

Sweetwater (8-0, 3-0 District 2-4A Division II) then recovered an onside kick and ran out the remaining time on the clock after a few first downs on rushes from quarterback Chris Thompson.

“Last night I was sitting before bed going through plays in my head and putting myself in situations,” said Monahans starting quarterback Quentin Jones. “Getting this win would have clinched playoffs. I hope we can bash heads again.”

Monahans (4-4, 2-1) came into this game hoping to keep the Sweetwater offense off the field for as long as possible, something Owens feels he accomplished despite tying the Mustangs in touchdowns scored in the game.

“It’s a big game for our teams. We shot ourselves in the foot a couple times,” said Sweetwater head coach Shane Mobley. “On the fake, we figured something was up. My hats off to (my defense).”

d0tc0m
10-24-2015, 10:47 AM
I can understand Owens' reasoning in going for two. What I don't understand is going for two with your FG unit. If you're going to put yourself in a do-or-die situation, do it with your best guys on the field, not your special teams. You just scored back-to-back TDs for crying out loud. Just leave the offense out there if you wanna go for the win.

On a side note, if the Loboes had pulled off the upset, we could've been looking at a Celina/Sweetwater matchup in the Area round instead of the quarterfinals.

STANG RED
10-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I can understand Owens' reasoning in going for two. What I don't understand is going for two with your FG unit. If you're going to put yourself in a do-or-die situation, do it with your best guys on the field, not your special teams. You just scored back-to-back TDs for crying out loud. Just leave the offense out there if you wanna go for the win.

On a side note, if the Loboes had pulled off the upset, we could've been looking at a Celina/Sweetwater matchup in the Area round instead of the quarterfinals.

Owens actually left at least 4 points on the field. They were stopped on downs somewhere inside the 5, just a few seconds before half time. They have a good kicker and kicking game. Had he just taken the gimme fg at that point, those 3 points could have been huge at the end. But I guess in his defense, he had seen the Mustang offense moving the ball well and scoring TDs. He may have felt like he had to roll the dice and go for the TD. But in the end, both of those plays proved to be very costly to the Loboes, and Owens is the only one that can take the blame. I'm betting he'll make other decisions in the future, if he find himself in similar situations.

nobogey72
10-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Congrats on that win. Very glad the Mustangs pulled that one out. Who do y'all have the last 2 games?