PDA

View Full Version : Prenup

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 01:56 PM
What is your stance on prenups? LOL

Before you guys grill me on trust and stuff like that, at least understand my situation:

I'm 24, about to be 25. I've been done with school since May 2013. My student loans and my car are paid off, completely debt free. My current gf is 25, finishing her last year of engineering school. She will graduate in august with 55K in student loans and about 10K owed on her car. She wants to get lasik when she graduates as well, which is another couple grand. I'm in a position to where i can pay off her loans in full if i wanted to. But then, ive heard horror stories of people doing that and then getting left and they're just out that money.

She'll have a decent salary starting out, but itll probably be about half of mine. And as time goes on, the gap will probably just continue to increase.

So, should i get a prenup, with her or any girl really? If so, how do you break that to her? LOL

Cam
10-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Before you guys grill me on trust and stuff like that, at least understand my situation:

I'm 24, about to be 25. I've been done with school since May 2013. My student loans and my car are paid off, completely debt free. My current gf is 25, finishing her last year of engineering school. She will graduate in august with 55K in student loans and about 10K owed on her car. She wants to get lasik when she graduates as well, which is another couple grand. I'm in a position to where i can pay off her loans in full if i wanted to. But then, ive heard horror stories of people doing that and then getting left and they're just out that money.

She'll have a decent salary starting out, but itll probably be about half of mine. And as time goes on, the gap will probably just continue to increase.

So, should i get a prenup, with her or any girl really? If so, how do you break that to her? LOL

....oh man I smell a limerick comin' on!......

Rabid Cougar
10-22-2015, 02:08 PM

Pretty damd self centered if you ask me. Neither one of you have anything to prenup for. Why bother? Jeez.... you're not Brad Pitt and she is not a Kardashian. Sorry I am an old fart married nearly 30 years. When I was 24 and getting ready to get married getting rid of her was the furtherest thing on my mind. I was just happy she allowed me to marry her.

Cam
10-22-2015, 02:13 PM
....chances are you're gonna piss her off.....and after you suggest a prenup you'll find yourself in postop that same day after she hits you over the head with a meat tenderizer mallet!......maybe avoid the kitchen area before presenting your idea!!!....:crazy1:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/meat.jpg

Pudlugger
10-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Well does she or her old man own a liquor store and a bass boat? If so you shouldn't need a prenup.:D

slingshot
10-22-2015, 02:23 PM
If you had a net worth of $500K or $1M--get the prenup. With what you're describing... not necessary.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Pretty damd self centered if you ask me. Neither one of you have anything to prenup for. Why bother? Jeez.... you're not Brad Pitt and she is not a Kardashian. Sorry I am an old fart married nearly 30 years. When I was 24 and getting ready to get married getting rid of her was the furtherest thing on my mind. I was just happy she allowed me to marry her.

LOL,

Im not saying im gonna ask her to sign one.... Personally i dont think I have much reason to get one... but losing a chunk of change like that would definitely hurt...

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 02:26 PM
I think easiest solution for short term is just have separate bank accounts. I would join accounts when we get married. But paying off 65 gand in loans before being married to the person seems dangerous to me...

Farmersfan
10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
You might want to ask yourself if you would accept a prenup if the financial situation were reversed. Don't you think you and your future family (kiddos) will benefit from the earnings your wife will eventually have due to the college degree she is in debt for? Unless I were planning on always keeping all finances separate I would not pursue a prenup.................... I've been married 31 years and can't remember the days of her's and my debts! It seems it's always been OURS!

Farmersfan
10-22-2015, 02:44 PM
I think easiest solution for short term is just have separate bank accounts. I would join accounts when we get married. But paying off 65 gand in loans before being married to the person seems dangerous to me...

I certainly wouldn't take any personal responsibility for her debts until AFTER the marriage. And I don't think there would be a marriage at all unless she shows the ability to budget her money and pay back her debts. Money is probably the #1 reason marriages fail these days.....

Pudlugger
10-22-2015, 02:47 PM
I certainly wouldn't take any personal responsibility for her debts until AFTER the marriage. And I don't think there would be a marriage at all unless she shows the ability to budget her money and pay back her debts. Money is probably the #1 reason marriages fail these days.....

That's some pretty darn good advice right there Saggy.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 02:57 PM
That's some pretty darn good advice right there Saggy.

Yeah, thats basically what I was thinking.

warpig
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
You have little to nothing in assets. You're asking for trouble with a pre-nup. Her loans will always be in her name and you're not responsible for them so stop worrying about "keeping what's yours" and focus on building up your "Marriage" portfolio.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 03:01 PM
You might want to ask yourself if you would accept a prenup if the financial situation were reversed. Don't you think you and your future family (kiddos) will benefit from the earnings your wife will eventually have due to the college degree she is in debt for? Unless I were planning on always keeping all finances separate I would not pursue a prenup.................... I've been married 31 years and can't remember the days of her's and my debts! It seems it's always been OURS!

I absolutely think that my future family would benefit financially from her salary, but I'm just saying that the contribution i make vs what she makes will most likely always be somewhat lopsided. Not because she wont make good money, but simply because shes just behind me in terms of position in her career vs age.

At 25, I'll be a engineering supervisor in my company. Shes not even going to finish her degree until age 26.... I'll have several years of experience by 26 working at a smaller company. She will be in a training program at FMC where she will likely remain at an entry level salary until age 28.... By then, she'll be much too far behind to catch me

I'm not trying to be self centered or whatever, im just being realistic.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 03:02 PM
You have little to nothing in assets. You're asking for trouble with a pre-nup. Her loans will always be in her name and you're not responsible for them so stop worrying about "keeping what's yours" and focus on building up your "Marriage" portfolio.

Her loans wont be in her name if i take my money and pay them off though..... thats what im getting at...

I would never see that money again if she decided to say thanks and leave.

Cam
10-22-2015, 03:03 PM

....got ya by 1 year farmer.....32 years!!!....and Mrs. Cam has about had enough!!!.....

pirate4state
10-22-2015, 03:08 PM

This

pirate4state
10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Her loans wont be in her name if i take my money and pay them off though..... thats what im getting at...

I would never see that money again if she decided to say thanks and leave.

If you think she is that type of person --- you need to move along LOL

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 03:11 PM
If you think she is that type of person --- you need to move along LOL

I dont think shes that type of person, but I dont think anyone ever suspects that their significant other could/would do that, until it happens....

Cam
10-22-2015, 03:20 PM

...actually, money is the #2 reason marriages fail.....#1 reason for failed marriages is when one develops the nasty habit of lighting your farts in bed with a big ol' stick match right after the nightly news and expecting your mate to blow out the match afterwards.......it's been the ruin of many a poor boy......

stardog
10-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Been married 45+ years. Trying to behave and hope she don't run me off. She says my checking account is ours and hers is hers. We married she worked while I went to school and worked part time. What we have we made ourselves. I made 3 to 4 times income more than her but she did a lot of taking care of home and kids that didn't pay. Marriage takes both - no value can be placed on it !!

waterboy
10-22-2015, 03:33 PM
I can't rightly give you advice about prenups because my wife was in better financial shape than me when we got married. There never was any mention of a prenup because neither of us were in great financial shape. She had to quit her job after we married so she could move into my home in my hometown. No way I would be paying her debts BEFORE I got married, though. The thought of paying each other's debts was never even brought up. Once we were married, any debt became OURS. Although we probably could've paid off the debts quicker, we didn't feel the need to give up a large chunk of change at once. Once she found a job nearby, we worked on getting debts paid off, and got them paid off pretty quickly. We had even started to build a little nest egg to buy a nicer home...

Then, we went through a house fire where we lost everything but the clothes on our backs, with no insurance. By then we had a daughter who was about 2-1/2, and my wife was about halfway into her second pregnancy. Back in debt again for about 15 years.

I guess it just boils down to TRUST. Do you TRUST her? Have you even discussed this with her? You definitely need to clear the air of any concerns BEFORE you get married, about everything, not just money. Money is secondary to a good, loving marriage. I could be poor and still be happy with my wife of 19 years. Money doesn't buy happiness, just comfort. Keep that in mind, and good luck!

oldtownag
10-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Be sure to document your assets before the marriage and keep that information. If you do end up in divorce then you will be entitled to those assets.

For example, You have home that has $50,000 equity when you marry. 5 years later you divorce and she moves out. You will be entitled to $50,000 equity plus 1/2 the equity earned while you were married.

Example 2, You have $50,000 in bank. You get married and pay off her loans. You get divorced and bank account is $60,000. You are entitled to $55,000.

Protect yourself but don't be stupid. Like others have said you likely don't have enough assets to justify a pre-nup.

Also, divorce is not always up to you. Women are crazy.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Women are crazy.

This is the main point of the thread...

Also, you guys are right in that i dont have enough assets today to be too worried about it. The only things I have are the cash in my account and my car. The point is that currently she has 0 assets, to the tune of a negative net worth of 65K.

I plan to buy a boat this year and a house the following year though. In 2-3 years i might have enough assets to worry about... May or may not be getting married between now and then... I havent really decided.

lostaussie
10-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Also, you guys are right in that i dont have enough assets today to be too worried about it. The only things I have are the cash in my account and my car. The point is that currently she has 0 assets, to the tune of a negative net worth of 65K.

I plan to buy a boat this year and a house the following year though. In 2-3 years i might have enough assets to worry about... May or may not be getting married between now and then... I havent really decided.

This man thinks with my philosophy...... Boat 1st......house 2nd. Call me, maybe I can hook you up:D

Farmersfan
10-22-2015, 03:46 PM
....got ya by 1 year farmer.....32 years!!!....and Mrs. Cam has about had enough!!!.....

Yea well I prefer to look at it as "Quality" of years and not "Quantity" of y.............................. Oh hell, who am I kidding? NEVERMIND...................

oldtownag
10-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Just document your assets before you marry and you will be fine. Any assets acquired during marriage will be spit down the middle upon divorce.

Farmersfan
10-22-2015, 03:53 PM

If her debt is your concern then perhaps together you can come up with a plan for her to pay the bulk of it off over the next couple of years BEFORE you get married. It could happen that a woman might actually respond positively to this suggestion! :thinking::thinking::crazy1:

BwdLion73
10-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Lots o good advice for you on here from people with experience.
I'm working on 30 years myself but still remember my decision....do you love her? do you want to spend your life together?
You sound mature enough to know that. Who knows what the next 30 years will bring you, but I wouldn't change mine...and who got what was the farthest thing from my mind.

Good Luck, follow your heart.

waterboy
10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
This man thinks with my philosophy...... Boat 1st......house 2nd. Call me, maybe I can hook you up:D

Right off the assembly line! :D

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm not overly concerned about her debt or my 'assets'. In the long run, those should be water under the bridge.

But I have big financial goals for myself over the next year and I was considering using my own money to pay off her debt so that WE can be debt free instead of just me. At which point we could build up our savings even faster on 2 engineering salaries. My only concern is being the guy who got used and having to tell other people to not do what I did.

I am 99% sure she wouldn't do that to me, at least not purposefully but ya never know and id rather be safe than sorry. We could end up getting divorced later on down the road and I'd still be out that initial investment.

I hate to sound like I expect it to fall apart because I don't, but I'd rather be prepared and not lose the shirt off my back.

waterboy
10-22-2015, 04:23 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't pay off anybody's debt before I married her, no matter how much I trusted her. You can always do that AFTER you are married.

d0tc0m
10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
This thread is a fairly sad commentary on society as a whole right now.

1st and goal
10-22-2015, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't even pay off her debt after you married her. I've seen too many sticky situations over money even with married folks. Keep her loans at low interest rates and when she's making money, use half her money to pay them off fast. You can use yours to buy a home and provide for her that way.

also, watch this video closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't even pay off her debt after you married her. I've seen too many sticky situations over money even with married folks. Keep her loans at low interest rates and when she's making money, use half her money to pay them off fast. You can use yours to buy a home and provide for her that way.

also, watch this video closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

Haha, I have seen that video before. Lots of differing opinions on what to do here. Good stuff guys

PurplePop
10-22-2015, 04:39 PM
If you have big financial goals, what's $65k? Man up. If you love her, can't see being without her, and she actually wants to marry you, then marry her, make her happy, and have a great life. It's not rocket science. And, you know the old saying, "Nothing's for sure in life but death and taxes." So, have some good old fashioned faith, and go for it. NO PRE-NUP!

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2015, 04:41 PM
If you have big financial goals, what's $65k? Man up. If you love her, can't see being without her, and she actually wants to marry you, then marry her, make her happy, and have a great life. It's not rocket science. And, you know the old saying, "Nothing's for sure in life but death and taxes." So, have some good old fashioned faith, and go for it. NO PRE-NUP!

haha the man up strategy is always a good one too

waterboy
10-22-2015, 04:54 PM
My wife fits nicely into the "wife zone". She was definitely in the "date zone" when we were dating. I've seen that chart before, and I must say he's pretty much dead on. :D

pancho villa
10-22-2015, 05:49 PM
I hope she bankrupts you and kicks you to the curb. Just saying

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2015, 07:03 AM

Your response took longer than i thought it would.

hookandladder
10-23-2015, 07:34 AM

If she ever visited this web site and figured out saggy is her husband, I could see that happening. You should also go on FB and get some more advice above marriage, LMAO.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2015, 08:05 AM
If she ever visited this web site and figured out saggy is her husband, I could see that happening. You should also go on FB and get some more advice above marriage, LMAO.

Cant have one without the other. Good to have you too, hook

buckeyebob
10-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Sounds like the two of you are not communicating...prenups are fine when you are both old farts with each having an estate & kids involved.

Starting out new with debts is the American way. Gotta make sure that both are on the same page with spending, saving, kids, goals etc...no separate bank accounts...you take each other for good or bad, sickness or health...you are in it together as one...no longer mine but ours...sound to me that you need to get up with a professional to help the two of you smoothed out...a church group, financial planner, psychologist...if you can't get on the same page ya gotta move on

Cam
10-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Your response took longer than i thought it would.

....he was probably busy chasin' some chick named Alice in Ingleside!....

hookandladder
10-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Sounds like the two of you are not communicating...prenups are fine when you are both old farts with each having an estate & kids involved.

Starting out new with debts is the American way. Gotta make sure that both are on the same page with spending, saving, kids, goals etc...no separate bank accounts...you take each other for good or bad, sickness or health...you are in it together as one...no longer mine but ours...sound to me that you need to get up with a professional to help the two of you smoothed out...a church group, financial planner, psychologist...if you can't get on the same page ya gotta move on

So true, Amen.

oldtownag
10-23-2015, 08:33 AM
P.S. Joint bank account is ok. However, make sure you never get joint credit cards. You each need to establish your own credit and you don't want to be responsible for each others credit.

Also only title your vehicles in the drivers name. Makes things so much easier.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2015, 08:43 AM
P.S. Joint bank account is ok. However, make sure you never get joint credit cards. You each need to establish your own credit and you don't want to be responsible for each others credit.

Also only title your vehicles in the drivers name. Makes things so much easier.

Well we've both already established plenty of credit by this point. But yeah, my credit card is only in my name and my car is in my name and hers is in her name.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2015, 08:44 AM

You make it sound as if we're already married or even engaged... which is not the case...

pancho villa
10-23-2015, 09:08 AM
I can't believe you have a girlfriend let alone one that would even consider marriage.

waterboy
10-23-2015, 09:10 AM
You make it sound as if we're already married or even engaged... which is not the case...

If that's the case, I wouldn't even consider combining anything at this point. Wait until AFTER you are married.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2015, 09:34 AM
I can't believe you have a girlfriend let alone one that would even consider marriage.

hahaha strange things happen pancho. Believe it or not, some people actually like me. Hard to imagine, i know

LionFan72
10-23-2015, 01:11 PM
It hurts to split the assets, but guess what, just another day! quit being so self centered to think you are the only one! doubt in your mind right now is not a good thing to be considering. Unless your Dad is Bill Gates, your just a working stiff, good luck!

OLE'BULL
10-23-2015, 03:13 PM
I cannot believe this thread is on to its 4th page, I read all of it, and am stooping low enough to respond to it. Frankly the whole thing gets under my skin, in this situation. Don't pay off anything right now. You don't have enough assets to even be talking about a pre-nup. IF you get married (which I would reconsider for now if you are having these concerns) then you both can communicate, compromise, and agree on how to handle it. That is how marriage works. Money should never get in the way of your relationship. You figure out what is best for BOTH of you and do that. If you don't do that, then you do what is best for HER. She is your partner in life once you are married and you do everything you can to show her how much you appreciate her. No amount of money is worth ruining a marriage over, especially $65,000 jesus. What would happen if (god forbid) you got in a car accident on your way back from the honeymoon (IF you get married) and you can't ever work another day in your life? Now she has to support BOTH of you on only HER income. Which with the way women are moving up in the world, could surpass yours quicker than you might think. Would you appreciate her having these kind of thoughts about you then? Geez, get over yourself...

Dawgs
10-23-2015, 03:27 PM
This thread is ridiculous. A 25 year old talking about a prenup. Kid your 25. I know at 25 you have big goals and think your the man, but in the big scheme of things you ain't got a pot to pee in. Unless your worth +500k or more with multiple paid off properties than you don't need a prenup. That won't happen until your late 40's if your lucky. Not trying to knock you, but dang if your going to be a Engineering Supervisor soon, and only graduated in 2013 then your telling one or your a genius. Takes most people 10+ years to move into a supervisory role as an engineer. Or at least with oil companies it does. And that's being a top hand. Anyway I would suggest not to get married. Lots of maturing to do. You will learn pretty quick that 50-60k ain't much in this big bad world. Barely enough down payment for a nice home. Good luck.

d0tc0m
10-23-2015, 03:34 PM
I cannot believe this thread is on to its 4th page, I read all of it, and am stooping low enough to respond to it. Frankly the whole thing gets under my skin, in this situation. Don't pay off anything right now. You don't have enough assets to even be talking about a pre-nup. IF you get married (which I would reconsider for now if you are having these concerns) then you both can communicate, compromise, and agree on how to handle it. That is how marriage works. Money should never get in the way of your relationship. You figure out what is best for BOTH of you and do that. If you don't do that, then you do what is best for HER. She is your partner in life once you are married and you do everything you can to show her how much you appreciate her. No amount of money is worth ruining a marriage over, especially $65,000 jesus. What would happen if (god forbid) you got in a car accident on your way back from the honeymoon (IF you get married) and you can't ever work another day in your life? Now she has to support BOTH of you on only HER income. Which with the way women are moving up in the world, could surpass yours quicker than you might think. Would you appreciate her having these kind of thoughts about you then? Geez, get over yourself...

This thread is ridiculous. A 25 year old talking about a prenup. Kid your 25. I know at 25 you have big goals and think your the man, but in the big scheme of things you ain't got a pot to pee in. Unless your worth +500k or more with multiple paid off properties than you don't need a prenup. That won't happen until your late 40's if your lucky. Not trying to knock you, but dang if your going to be a Engineering Supervisor soon, and only graduated in 2013 then your telling one or your a genius. Takes most people 10+ years to move into a supervisory role as an engineer. Or at least with oil companies it does. And that's being a top hand. Anyway I would suggest not to get married. Lots of maturing to do. You will learn pretty quick that 50-60k ain't much in this big bad world. Good luck.

Lol. These. But he is just a boy talking grown man things. I do, however, have deep sympathy for him that he's coming to the Downlow for this kind of discussion, especially if he didn't grow up with a good father or a solid male influence - or if his own parents' marriage somehow gave him the idea that this was just what a marriage looks like.

Phantom Stang
10-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Then what IS the case? The only way starting this thread can make sense, is if either she has proposed to YOU, or you've found her on a Russian "mail order bride" site.

1st and goal
10-23-2015, 06:04 PM

If you would quit daydreaming about those Bellville women, maybe you could pay better attention to your own woman.:1popcorn::1popcorn:

db1980
10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Marry for love and honor God through your marriage and everything else will fall in place.

Saggy Aggie
10-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Then what IS the case? The only way starting this thread can make sense, is if either she has proposed to YOU, or you've found her on a Russian "mail order bride" site.

The case is that she's made it clear she wants to get married, but I havent decided if I want to.

Saggy Aggie
10-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Lol. These. But he is just a boy talking grown man things. I do, however, have deep sympathy for him that he's coming to the Downlow for this kind of discussion, especially if he didn't grow up with a good father or a solid male influence - or if his own parents' marriage somehow gave him the idea that this was just what a marriage looks like.

Hahaha, not asking the downlow for advice by any means. The main point of this thread was whats your stance on prenups and not should i get one... The whole thread was in jest.

This was more of me trying to get a rouse out of the old timers on this board like I always do. I've said multiple times in this thread that I dont intend to get a prenup.

But thanks for making some gross assumptions about my home life. I had a pretty good dad, until he passed away from a genetic lung disease called Cystic Fibrosis in 2009 when I was 18. So thanks for that shot in the nuts, douchebag.

buckeyebob
10-24-2015, 09:06 AM
One piece of advise for a good marriage...Don't ever pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

That wraps it up.

1st and goal
10-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Marry for love and honor God through your marriage and everything else will fall in place.

This. Place the Lord at the center of importance, and your spouse next in line. More important than anything else in order of magnitudes. I say this being fairly sure you know your math. Go to church. Every week. Read and re-read the Bible. Involve yourselves in a church that you can volunteer and make a difference. And then the items that try to nibble at the outer edges of your marriage will fall in place. If both of you know the Lord, and his scripture, you can each bring a better person to the union. If the person you pick is already a follower, I would say that your chances of a lasting relationship are at least doubled or tripled over the sample rate of all marriages.

I know these things from my own past experiences.

waterboy
10-24-2015, 10:47 AM

Amen! This is exactly the reason why our marriage has lasted for 19 years. The first 8 or 9 years were turbulent to say the least, but once we changed our focus to Him, our marriage suddenly became a very happy one. I was the one who was the cause of the problems, and once I committed my life to Christ, became involved in church continuously, our marriage changed 180 degrees. Of course she did the same. I can really appreciate what I have now, where I used to take it for granted.

For what it's worth, I thought I knew it all, didn't "need" church, and liked to party too much when I was your age. That went on until a few years after I got married, too. Then, I felt I was losing control, and something was missing that I couldn't put a finger on. Then I went to church, got saved, and it absolutely changed my life. I've never been happier.

d0tc0m
10-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Hahaha, not asking the downlow for advice by any means. The main point of this thread was whats your stance on prenups and not should i get one... The whole thread was in jest.

This was more of me trying to get a rouse out of the old timers on this board like I always do. I've said multiple times in this thread that I dont intend to get a prenup.

But thanks for making some gross assumptions about my home life. I had a pretty good dad, until he passed away from a genetic lung disease called Cystic Fibrosis in 2009 when I was 18. So thanks for that shot in the nuts, douchebag.

Well, you certainly succeeded at getting a rise out of the old timers!

My sincere apologies about your father. I am sure he was a fine man, and I am deeply sorry for your loss. I can't imagine not having my dad around, so I am truly sorry for my comments if they stirred that pain up for you.

hookandladder
10-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Plain and simple, just a stupid thread by someone that only wants to stir **** up. Grow up already.

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Plain and simple, just a stupid thread by someone that only wants to stir **** up. Grow up already.

:thumbsup: