PDA

View Full Version : Bay City-El Campo game preview story

Scoop27
10-21-2015, 12:26 PM
By Brandon Cox
Bay City Tribune

Friday night will become another chapter in what is sure to be one of Texas prep football’s best and longest-told stories. The oldest continuous rivalry in the state continues for the 96th consecutive year this week at Memorial Stadium in Bay City when the 3-4 Blackcats play host to the 4-3 El Campo Ricebirds on homecoming night.

The rivalry began in 1911 when the two schools first met on the gridiron, and really took off in 1920 when the annual streak began. El Campo is riding an 8-game winning streak and holds a rivalry record of 59-43-9 all-time over the Blackcats.

When the two teams meet for the 112th time on Friday night in Bay City the Blackcats will be looking to cut in to that series lead. Bay City and El Campo share parts of a four-way tie for second place in District 12-4A with 1-1 records in district play.

Bay City’s first year head coach Lupe Florez is expecting a great game on Friday night.

“We feel pretty confident about our chances,” he said. “We have every bit of the athletic ability that they do. We found a formula last week that works for us and we have to execute. We’re having a great week of practice. This one will come down to whoever makes the fewest mistakes.”

Ricebird coach Wayne Condra has a similar outlook for the upcoming game.

“This is a big rivalry game, and Bay City is playing real good football right now,” said Condra. “This is a strong district, and I’m not surprised at all. There are a lot of talented football teams in this district. This is a great rivalry to be a part of.”

The Ricebirds are home to two of the district’s top four leading rushers in Kevin Dove and Alontae Harris. Dove has amassed 969 yards on 138 carries, averaging 8.02 yards per carry and counting for 17 touchdowns through seven games. Harris has 64 touches for 630 yards and four touchdowns while averaging 9.84 yards per carry.

Bay City holds the advantage in the passing game. Quarterback Darryl Florez is second in the district with 10 touchdown tosses, completing 69 of 146 attempts for 785 yards. Bay City’s leading receiver Prinard Payne is second in the district with six touchdown catches. Payne also leads the district in kickoff returns, averaging nearly 37 yards per return and scoring two touchdowns on special teams.

Bay City’s Andrew Smith is the district’s highest-scoring kicker, counting for 28 points on 16 PATs and four field goals.

Defensively Bay City presents a formidable challenge to the Ricebirds. Payne leads the district in interceptions with three, and averages 23 yards on the return after the pick.

El Campo calls a run-heavy offense that will play to their advantage if the forecast for Friday night doesn’t change. Friday’s forecast calls for thunderstorms in the morning to follow precipitation on Wednesday and Thursday. The saturated field may play a role on Friday night.

Bay City’s defense will try to force turnovers and keep the Ricebird offense off of the field. Bay City has sacked opposing quarterbacks 12 times through seven games this season, while deflecting 37 passes and forced seven fumbles. El Campo has put the ball on the ground nine times this season, losing seven of those.

For a game of this magnitude all bets are off. Even in years when one team or the other was slumping they would still find a way to make this contest interesting.

“My family and all my cousins have played in this game. None of them got to win. This is my last chance to play them and I want to beat them,” said Bay City’s standout defensive lineman Leonard Eaton. “My teammates and I have to do our job. If we do our job we’ll come out with the win.”

Eaton led Bay City’s defense against Brazosport last week with 13 tackles and a sack on the quarterback, even with the offense triple teaming him.

“We have kids with the talent and potential to play on Saturdays and Sundays,” said Florez. “This is going to be a big night for them.”

Expect an electric atmosphere on homecoming night. Even if it’s pouring down rain there is sure to be a great football game on Friday night at Memorial Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.