PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Giddings

Pudlugger
10-19-2015, 07:10 AM
The Leps lost a nail bitter against a very good Caldwell team last Friday. LG has been in a slump for the past 4 weeks going 2-2 trying to figure out how to defend the pass. Last week they stood 10 yards off the WRs and gave up a couple hundred yards of short passes out to the flats. They can't win that way and hopefully will make some adjustments and get up close and personal with the wide-outs this week in Giddings. The Buffaloes are 7-0 with their signature win over Bellville earlier in the season. This is the big rivalry game for both teams and anything can happen. After an 8 year drought losing to Giddings from 2003-2010 the Leps have been winning this match up. Can they turn things around in time to get the win this year? I really don't know which team will show up Friday. The one that has a stout defense that yielded only 13 points/game in the first 4 games or the one that has been giving up 34 points/game the last month? We will find out Friday night in Giddings.

GobblersUnite
10-19-2015, 07:23 AM
I wish this were on a Saturday so I could make it!

d0tc0m
10-19-2015, 10:41 AM
What a great game this one is going to be. At the start of the year, I would've sworn Dobbins and the Leopards would run the district table. Not so sure they will even finish above third place now. I think this will be a close game, especially for a half, but I think the Buffs win by 10+ and essentially lock up the district title. The Giddings defense wins this game. Good to see the Buffs back and playing at a high level again.

Pudlugger
10-19-2015, 11:37 AM
dOtcOm you may be right but Giddings has to beat LG then Caldwell (assuming wins over Smithville and Salado of course). District 11 probably will not be decided until Nov 6 when Giddings plays Caldwell. The Leps of course hope to win out and will be routing for Giddings to make a three way tie for district. Nothing is nailed down as of today. After Friday we'll have a clearer picture of the eventual D11 district winner.

d0tc0m
10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
dOtcOm you may be right but Giddings has to beat LG then Caldwell (assuming wins over Smithville and Salado of course). District 11 probably will not be decided until Nov 6 when Giddings plays Caldwell. The Leps of course hope to win out and will be routing for Giddings to make a three way tie for district. Nothing is nailed down as of today. After Friday we'll have a clearer picture of the eventual D11 district winner.

You're right, Pud. And honestly, the Leopards are gonna make the playoffs, so winning a district title doesn't matter all that much. Once you reach the postseason, everybody's 0-0, anyway, and anything can happen from that point on.

1st and goal
10-19-2015, 12:20 PM
The Leps lost a nail bitter against a very good Caldwell team last Friday. LG has been in a slump for the past 4 weeks going 2-2 trying to figure out how to defend the pass. Last week they stood 10 yards off the WRs and gave up a couple hundred yards of short passes out to the flats. They can't win that way and hopefully will make some adjustments and get up close and personal with the wide-outs this week in Giddings. The Buffaloes are 7-0 with their signature win over Bellville earlier in the season. This is the big rivalry game for both teams and anything can happen. After an 8 year drought losing to Giddings from 2003-2010 the Leps have been winning this match up. Can they turn things around in time to get the win this year? I really don't know which team will show up Friday. The one that has a stout defense that yielded only 13 points/game in the first 4 games or the one that has been giving up 34 points/game the last month? We will find out Friday night in Giddings.

Your right, they still have to line up and play the game, catch the passes, etc. Y'all have been winning long enough, It's our turn to win. :)

Leopardfan202
10-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Dobbins will get his 3 to 4 scores...if he can get sum help...and our defense makes a few stopes LG wins this game...LG by 6

Leopardfan202
10-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Dobbins will get his 3 to 4 scores...if he can get sum help and our defense makes a few stopes we win this game..LG by 6

lostaussie
10-19-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm going with the silent LaGrange majority and say Leps by 17 to 21. That's pretty much the weekly prediction:D

Pudlugger
10-19-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm going with the silent LaGrange majority and say Leps by 17 to 21. That's pretty much the weekly prediction:D

We get your point Aussie, Leps have not performed up to expectations for the past 4 weeks. Maybe they will get their stuff together Friday and regain some respect. Everyone on the team including the coaches need to do a better job to get it done but most folks around La Grange think they can do it.

lostaussie
10-19-2015, 04:03 PM
OK, you took the fun out of it Pud:D I'll behave now. Good luck to you guys and I hope you get the ship righted :thumbsup:

Leopardfan202
10-19-2015, 04:10 PM
LG will be fine come post season....with jk dobbins at the helm I wouldn't count LG out...and I was looking back LG haven't lost 2 in a row in 3 years

GobblersUnite
10-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Buffs by 12

1st and goal
10-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Supposed to rain heavily. We have artificial turf so maybe not like Caldwell or Belleville's fields. If I were coach, I'd be spraying it down all week for practice.

lostaussie
10-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Almost 24 hours? LaGrange giving the silent treatment? Come on, this a big game, y'all talk it up.

lostaussie
10-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Supposed to rain heavily. We have artificial turf so maybe not like Caldwell or Belleville's fields. If I were coach, I'd be spraying it down all week for practice.

Goodness, I guess you replied while I was typing. Rain never good. Makes strange things happen in football.

buff4ever
10-20-2015, 02:23 PM
As long as it is not raining during the game, it will have no effect on the game. I think giddings gets a little payback for the very close losses the last two years in La grange.

I would like to see a two score victory here.

d0tc0m
10-20-2015, 02:27 PM
As long as it is not raining during the game, it will have no effect on the game. I think giddings gets a little payback for the very close losses the last two years in La grange.

I would like to see a two score victory here.

That's what I'm thinking it could be. If Giddings can play some defense, they'll win.

Leopardfan202
10-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Giddings might have the best team....but LG holds the best RB in all 4A..maybe in the state.. We will see what happens

d0tc0m
10-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Giddings might have the best team....but LG holds the best RB in all 4A..maybe in the state.. We will see what happens

Twice this year that hasn't been enough for the Leopards, though. Dobbins is a freak, no question. But he can't do it by himself. Too much talent and depth in 4A to win as a one-trick pony. La Grange will still make the playoffs, though. And the Leps will be a scary out for any team they face from then on, regardless of what their win-loss record is going into week one of the postseason.

Leopardfan202
10-20-2015, 02:31 PM
And if LG can play defense..we might have a chance..this will be a high scoring game

hookandladder
10-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Dobbins is starting to wear down from all the hits he has been taking this year, this games boils down to the same question each week when LG plays. Can Giddings contain Dobbins enough to outscore LG, with Giddings having an above average passing team and relying on it to move the ball the weather could play a factor. Should be a great game just like the last couple years not like the beat down the Leps put on the Buff's at their home field in 2012. LOL. Leps by a TD

Leopardfan202
10-20-2015, 02:36 PM
I agree Dobbins.. Is taking to many hits...but he scores 3 to 4 touchdowns a game..he needs help..like sumone said u have to score in the late 30's to 40 to beat LG bcs of Dobbins

Pudlugger
10-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Right now the way Giddings is playing and the slump the Leps have been in you should pick the Buffs to win by a couple of tds. However, this is a big rivalry game and if anything can wake up the Leps and get them to focus on execution this is it. Rain or shine both teams will come out fired up. I will always favor the Leopards even when they are down a bit like they are today. If Giddings can hold the Leps to less than 35 they should win. If the Leps' defense shows up and gets two or three stops the LG offense should be able to pull this team across the finish line for the win. The key will be to limit penalties and especially the illegal procedure/offsides business that killed us against Caldwell. Turnovers of course will be critical and if it rains there should be plenty of them hopefully more for Giddings than LG. Finally, our defensive backs need to play the WRs tighter and make a play for the ball. We lost too many yards on short passes in the flats with our dbs 10 yards off the LOS. And WTH!! put #22 back to receive the punts! Geesh, not rocket science here. We have the best RB in 4a and he should get a shot on returns rather than letting the punt roll 20 yards deeper into our territory. Leps by 7.

Leopardfan202
10-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Right now the way Giddings is playing and the slump the Leps have been in you should pick the Buffs to win by a couple of tds. However, this is a big rivalry game and if anything can wake up the Leps and get them to focus on execution this is it. Rain or shine both teams will come out fired up. I will always favor the Leopards even when they are down a bit like they are today. If Giddings can hold the Leps to less than 35 they should win. If the Leps' defense shows up and gets two or three stops the LG offense should be able to pull this team across the finish line for the win. The key will be to limit penalties and especially the illegal procedure/offsides business that killed us against Caldwell. Turnovers of course will be critical and if it rains there should be plenty of them hopefully more for Giddings than LG. Finally, our defensive backs need to play the WRs tighter and make a play for the ball. We lost too many yards on short passes in the flats with our dbs 10 yards off the LOS. And WTH!! put #22 back to receive the punts! Geesh, not rocket science here. We have the best RB in 4a and he should get a shot on returns rather than letting the punt roll 20 yards deeper into our territory. Leps by 7.

What killed us in the Caldwell game..our defense got good pressure.. And thr qb sumtimes threw it up for grabs..they caught them.. But Caldwell was very good

buff4ever
10-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Pud trying hard to not be pudlike, but a little squeaked out in long mesaage. Pud, I think your players will bring it full force this week, just as I expect the buffs will. It is one of those fun games to watch. I just hope the better team wins, as that team is the buffalos.

PappaFeelGood
10-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Really to close to predict. Of course I'll be the homer and pick LG, but only by 2 points. The LG will need to defend the pass once again. Weather will be a big factor in this game as chunking the rock may be difficult in the rain. Should be a great game, as always, and the team that makes the least mistakes wins. Neither team can get sloppy or this game gets out of hand quickly. Best to luck to both teams and lets all hope for a injury free game.

PurplePop
10-21-2015, 05:42 PM
I think this year's Dist. 11 is like last year's Dist. 15. Three real good teams = Three way tie. Remember, La Grange has some really quality wins (La Vernia, Liberty Hill). I'm going with La Grange by 10 with a late TD by Dobbins to seal the win.

Pudlugger
10-22-2015, 09:10 AM
I think this year's Dist. 11 is like last year's Dist. 15. Three real good teams = Three way tie. Remember, La Grange has some really quality wins (La Vernia, Liberty Hill). I'm going with La Grange by 10 with a late TD by Dobbins to seal the win.

Yep we are hoping for a three way tie for first place by winning out and Giddings beating Caldwell. First up will be beating Giddings tomorrow night. That's going to be huge. The Leps always get tuned up for Giddings and vice versa so we expect a great game no matter who wins. Maybe the rain and wet will help the Leps in their pass defense. No question the Leps can stop the run if they don't have to go to a three man front on D like they had against Caldwell. I need to dig out my poncho for tomorrow night as it will be wet in the stands.

Pudlugger
10-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Twice this year that hasn't been enough for the Leopards, though. Dobbins is a freak, no question. But he can't do it by himself. Too much talent and depth in 4A to win as a one-trick pony. La Grange will still make the playoffs, though. And the Leps will be a scary out for any team they face from then on, regardless of what their win-loss record is going into week one of the postseason.

One of the reasons LG has been struggling these past 4 weeks is due to coach letting several others have a go at carrying the football developing a more diverse offense. I think it will pay off when we make the playoffs as a "one trick pony" will not suffice for a deep run. #6,#18, #24(a freshman kid with real guts) #19 and our qb #15 have been consistently carrying the rock pretty well lately so Dobbins hasn't been the Lone Ranger out there on the field. Tonight we will see who is the better team and I think the Leps come back big for the win.

buff4ever
10-23-2015, 08:37 AM
He probably is trying to not wear Dobbins out before the playoffs get here. I imagine he will get the ball plenty tonight.

Thursday night didn't go well for the leps, I hope Friday goes about as well.

Pudlugger
10-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Enjoy your jv and freshman victories Buff tonight the Leps get the big win though.

PurplePop
10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Does La Grange use Dobbins on D? I assume they don't because of the load he carries on O, which totally makes sense. But, at some point, if LG decides to put him on D, even if just in the 2nd half, that is a game changer.

PappaFeelGood
10-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Does La Grange use Dobbins on D? I assume they don't because of the load he carries on O, which totally makes sense. But, at some point, if LG decides to put him on D, even if just in the 2nd half, that is a game changer.

Seldom but if he does it's in the secondary in the nickel or dime package.

buff4ever
10-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Buffs win 38 to 20. Good win for our kids.

Good luck to La grange in the playoffs, rest dobbins, you're gonna need him.

Pudlugger
10-23-2015, 11:23 PM
I just hope the better team wins, as that team is the buffalos.

Congratulations Buffaloes on a well played game and earned win. Buff was right tonight the best team won. Good luck next week against Caldwell that will be another big game for yall. We will beat Salado but IDK about Wharton in round 1. Unless we find a pass defense we're toast.

PappaFeelGood
10-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Great win for the Buffs. I wish the team, school and community good luck as they continue with their football season.

1st and goal
10-24-2015, 09:24 AM
The Buffs played great. O and D, many weapons. The QB was throwing really accurate passes. I didn't see hardly any "extracurricular" play. It was a really hard, clean fought game. Because of district re-alignment, we've had to play LG the previous 2 years in their stadium, so most all of our varsity hadn't gotten to play LG on our turf until last night.

That Dobbins is a hoss. Not sure if he is nursing injury, or if he is just worn down, but for sure he needs rest. His tiredness was what eventually made the difference that the Buff's D was able to get stops in the 2nd half. His ability to carry defenders for extra yards is amazing, being at the center of the rat packing is a good way to get hurt eventually. Hope not.

Seeing that almost all of the Buffs are healed and playing great, I am really confident about their ranking. The Caldwell game will decide our district champion. We get them at home in 2 weeks.

I listened to KBUK (Dusek and co.) for a few minutes at the start of the game and for the post game wrap up. He is a gem of an announcer. I will be glad if and when we get the rest of the stadium improved. IIRC, the current fan side (south) will be torn down and become the home side. This should give the opposing team some covered press boxes. I can't remember what the exact holdup is on the project. Probably money is a factor. There was still a good crowd there. I would guess about 80% full despite the bad weather. I'm sure if it was a nice cool night it would have been overflowing and you would have had to park on the highway. I would think that the stadium might be used more for playoff games if it had the capacity.

Good luck LG.