PDA

View Full Version : Rule question for Rabid or any other ref

Rocket Man
10-03-2015, 09:49 PM
When a DB leaps up from about his team's one yard line, intercepts the ball and lands in the end zone; where should the ball be marked?

FB-fanatic
10-03-2015, 10:12 PM
When a DB leaps up from about his team's one yard line, intercepts the ball and lands in the end zone; where should the ball be marked?

I'll be waiting an answer from the refs on the board too, but I'm pretty sure an interception mark is established once a player is deemed "down", which requires the normal body parts to touch the turf. If the ball position is not fully out of the endzone when down, then ruled touchback and placed at 20 yd line.

We'll see what they say.

maestro
10-04-2015, 04:29 AM
And the concept of what a fumble is has been lost in translation also.

Rabid Cougar
10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
It matters where the ball is. Even if the feet are in the endzone, if the ball never crosses or touches the goal line - 1-10 from the spot of the ball. More often than not you would go with a touch back.

Rabid Cougar
10-04-2015, 09:04 AM
And the concept of what a fumble is has been lost in translation also.

You try not to have cheap fumbles.

Rocket Man
10-04-2015, 07:45 PM
It matters where the ball is. Even if the feet are in the endzone, if the ball never crosses or touches the goal line - 1-10 from the spot of the ball. More often than not you would go with a touch back.

Thanks very much. I've always thought we got screwed in that state game a few years ago when Kitchens intercepted and fell into the end zone. They spotted it on the one.

Rabid Cougar
10-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks very much. I've always thought we got screwed in that state game a few years ago when Kitchens intercepted and fell into the end zone. They spotted it on the one.

Just to be clear:

If he jumped, caught the ball, feet landed at the one (established himself in the field of play) and then knocked into the endzone? 1-10 at the 1. Forward Progress.
If he fell into the endzone on his own momentum after landing at the one or landed in the endzone after leaving the ground at the one? 1-10 at the 20.

It is hard to make the correct calls on either yours or the OP's examples without seeing the play in person or on the film. One detail or action that is left out of the description can easily change the call.

Rocket Man
10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Just to be clear:

If he jumped, caught the ball, feet landed at the one (established himself in the field of play) and then knocked into the endzone? 1-10 at the 1. Forward Progress.
If he fell into the endzone on his own momentum after landing at the one or landed in the endzone after leaving the ground at the one? 1-10 at the 20.

It is hard to make the correct calls on either yours or the OP's examples without seeing the play in person or on the film. One detail or action that is left out of the description can easily change the call.

Understood, he jumped up from about the 1, caught the ball and landed in the endzone; your second example. Thanks again.

GrTigers6
10-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Rabid Cougar is right. If he lands in the endzone it is no different than an interception in the endzone. If he lands in the field of play and then his momentum takes him into the endzone then the ball is spotted at the point of possesion. When in doubt it is a touchback.

Rabid Cougar
10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Rabid Cougar is right. If he lands in the endzone it is no different than an interception in the endzone. If he lands in the field of play and then his momentum takes him into the endzone then the ball is spotted at the point of possesion. When in doubt it is a touchback.

Boy I am glad..... I was sweating that out like a TASO test question.

GrTigers6
10-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Boy I am glad..... I was sweating that out like a TASO test question. Yeah I had to look it up to make sure I was right! lol