PDA

View Full Version : The Best There Never Was (The one that got away)

91 lion
10-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Ok...d0tc0m started a great thread about the Mt Rushmore of our schools. It made me think of just how many kids transferred out that had tremendous talent that went on to do great things elsewhere.

My Brownwood list is:
1. Kenny Vacarro
Transferred days before school started his senior year then got hurt and basically sit out the entire season for Early

2. JT Walsh
Followed his dad to Denton Guyer when it opened....was poised to be the next big thing for the Lions....now, QB for Oklahoma State

3. Jarrett Lee
Followed his dad to Brenham after starting for the Lions his Soph year as QB....went on the QB at LSU

4. Graham Harrell
Left very early when his dad left to coach in Big Lake. Then Ennis, where the rest is in the history books.

What say you, downlower's?

10ForTheWin
10-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Jared Jarzowiski was a stud player. He tore his ACL final district game of his senior year. Ended up recovering, played a few years at Blinn, then walked on at A&M as a punter

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

10ForTheWin
10-01-2015, 05:57 PM
That was for Navarro btw

91 lion
10-01-2015, 05:58 PM
That was for Navarro btw

I remember the name...but didn't know he was from Navarro. Thx!

10ForTheWin
10-01-2015, 05:59 PM
I remember the name...but didn't know he was from Navarro. Thx!
He was several years back I think maybe 2009 or 2010, his brother was a player to from the 2014 class

91 lion
10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
WOS fans, does Sterling-Cole make y'alls list?

hollywood
10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Ok...d0tc0m started a great thread about the Mt Rushmore of our schools. It made me think of just how many kids transferred out that had tremendous talent that went on to do great things elsewhere.

My Brownwood list is:
1. Kenny Vacarro
Transferred days before school started his senior year then got hurt and basically sit out the entire season for Early

2. JT Walsh
Followed his dad to Denton Guyer when it opened....was poised to be the next big thing for the Lions....now, QB for Oklahoma State

3. Jarrett Lee
Followed his dad to Brenham after starting for the Lions his Soph year as QB....went on the QB at LSU

4. Graham Harrell
Left very early when his dad left to coach in Big Lake. Then Ennis, where the rest is in the history books.

What say you, downlower's?

Good stuff 91 lion! The Freeman's transferred out from the VILLE to Brownwood.. The rest is history. Lol

There are many many that I can think of over the years from a lot of schools. I'll rack my brain and do some research to help this thread.

FB-fanatic
10-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Braden Smith
QB - Coaches kid
2005/2006 SMU
Passed through Lorena when Lorena was really down.
Dad transferred, and so did Braden. We saw him as a freshman "stud".

Brogan Funderburg
RB - coaches kid
Dad is Mike Funderburg of Breckenridge fame. Last of the drop-kickers.
Moved on to Frisco.

Anxious to see CS list - they have been snake-bit along these lines in the past few years.

WOS87
10-02-2015, 03:34 AM
WOS fans, does Sterling-Cole make y'alls list?

Only if you count our 3rd (or was he 4th?) string Sophomore QB Jack Dallas eventually taking his place and making it to the state finals... so no not really. WOS did better than Spring Westfield last year.

Reggie Garrett #12 (which is where the 112% chants and flags and shirts come from whenever you attend a WOS game) passed away during a game in 2010. That was the last year WOS didn't make at least the Quarterfinals. He's with us always.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hs-football-star-reggie-garrett-dies-td-pass/story?id=11671681

Most of the "ones that got away" for WOS are games.. not players. Leading legendary Houston Yates in the 1985 Regionals in the Astrodome tied 6-6, but ahead 3-1 in penetrations, with less than 6 minutes left in the game. Leading eventual State Champ LaMarque in the 4th quarter in almost the exact same situation but with only 4 minutes left in 1995.

coach
10-02-2015, 09:50 AM
He really didn't get away, but a lot of Adrian peterson's family lives in Fairfield. There was always speculation that he was moving here. That would have been pretty cool.