PDA

View Full Version : The AP polls only rank 10 teams

charlesrixey
09-29-2015, 09:40 AM
This is random, but I always roll my eyes when people start talking about how teams are ranked #14 by the AP in a 10-team poll.

If Stephenville has 2 votes (hypothetically) and 17 teams have more votes than them, the AP is not saying they think Stephenville is #18 in the state. How can one person ranking them 9th or two people ranking them 10th out of 10 voters be relevant? If Navasota has 200 points are they 100x more worthy of first place?

I'm sorry, but if your team is unranked but has garnered 4 points from the AP voters, your team is still unranked. No one thinks that the AP poll is very accurate, so why would we even bother to care about the stragglers? If you are just outside the top ten, that should be enough without specifying that you are 11th or 12th.

Just a Tuesday morning rant

91 lion
09-29-2015, 10:07 AM
This is random, but I always roll my eyes when people start talking about how teams are ranked #14 by the AP in a 10-team poll.

If Stephenville has 2 votes (hypothetically) and 17 teams have more votes than them, the AP is not saying they think Stephenville is #18 in the state. How can one person ranking them 9th or two people ranking them 10th out of 10 voters be relevant? If Navasota has 200 points are they 100x more worthy of first place?

I'm sorry, but if your team is unranked but has garnered 4 points from the AP voters, your team is still unranked. No one thinks that the AP poll is very accurate, so why would we even bother to care about the stragglers? If you are just outside the top ten, that should be enough without specifying that you are 11th or 12th.

Just a Tuesday morning rant

So, I'll start this by saying that I agree with you on a few points....that is, that the poll is not accurate at all and that if you're just outside the top 10, that should be enough.

........buuuuuuut, your assessment is off on a few points.

1. The AP actually DOES rank all the teams that receive points....look at the poll from this week and there is a clear #16 by Sville and #18 by Alvarado

2. The points are tallied the same, regardless if the team is in the top 10 or on the outside....the point are points. 10 points for a 1st place vote....9 for second....8 for 3rd and so on......so Alvarado with their one vote is in someone's top 10....they are hardly a straggler in a particular voters eyes

All that said, it's the biggest guessing game going, but makes it fun for fan to brag about...gives coaches bulletin board material.....and, at times, helps to pump up a matchup or "ranked" teams.

charlesrixey
09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
When did they start adding those numbers? I don't remember that from the 1990's or early 2000's; they used to just show the votes

91 lion
09-29-2015, 01:25 PM
When did they start adding those numbers? I don't remember that from the 1990's or early 2000's; they used to just show the votes

Not sure....I don't recall them either.