13 Orange Grove
14 Bridgeport
15 Wharton
16 Bellville
17 Orangefield
18 Atlanta
19 Pleasant Grove (Texarkana)
20 Perryton

I understand how some feel about MaxPreps; just thought I'd post it for discussion purposes since it has some differences with DCTF...........:stirpot:

Saggy Aggie
09-28-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm not even gonna comment on the top part, because I love seeing new teams at the top, but I will say that Stafford is way too high. They're pretty decent but they're not top 10 material...

lostaussie
09-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Shows what I know. I thought China Spring was DII. Don't have to worry about them no more:D

Yoe_09
09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Interesting to see China Spring at #1. Not sure if they are better than Navasota yet, but they are solid. Big one between CS & LV here in a few weeks.

Saggy Aggie
09-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna make the drive up from Houston for that one. Oughta be a doozy

stardog
09-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Shows what I know. I thought China Spring was DII. Don't have to worry about them no more:D

You thought this because 4 of their games have been against D-II teams, and 1 against 3A D-I .

They have to play Burnet before La Vega. Should be a battle between these 3 teams.

stardog
09-28-2015, 03:40 PM
The maxpreps rankings are good because they have no human opinion. Quote: they are a collection of enormous amounts of information from teams and the application of a computer model. The most important thing to understand about how the ratings system works is that it is 100 % objective. This system has no human factors but just takes into account the facts. Cold, Hard, Unfeeling Fact - but as accurate, objective and fair as possible.

The flaw for now is that it does not recognize difference in Div-I and Div-II.

Bosqueville
09-28-2015, 04:23 PM
I like it! But man we've got a tough two game stretch coming... I will say this, the LaVega game will be crazy. One hour before kick-off against Fairfield in CS, the home side general seating was packed with people gathering along the fence. Gonna be a huge crowd..

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 09:00 AM
You thought this because 4 of their games have been against D-II teams, and 1 against 3A D-I .

China Spring is only four for five students above the D-II cut off. Argyle and CS were the smallest schools in D1 as of the last reallignment.

Nothing wrong with continuing to play teams that were former district foes ( Lorena and Connally specially when they are rivals) and against arguably the most feared football team in the state and Fairfield is no slouch.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
To be honest I dont like this poll. CS is a young team and doesn't need this kind of attention.

coach
09-29-2015, 09:37 AM
China Spring is only four for five students above the D-II cut off. Argyle and CS were the smallest schools in D1 as of the last reallignment.

Nothing wrong with continuing to play teams that were former district foes ( Lorena and Connally specially when they are rivals) and against arguably the most feared football team in the state and Fairfield is no slouch.

We were like 9 kids away from being in 3a. One of the smallest 4a schools in the state...

dk1
09-29-2015, 09:46 AM
calpreps has CS #1 also. Although interesting, rankings don't matter. This team played with the big boys during 7 on 7 and knows they can compete. Their defense is better than expected with speed and grittiness to match up against the Camerons and Lavegas. Power backs and teams like LH may pose a challenge but it will be fun playing out. This is a great group of kids who hopefully wont let rankings go to their head.

coach
09-29-2015, 10:27 AM
calpreps has CS #1 also. Although interesting, rankings don't matter. This team played with the big boys during 7 on 7 and knows they can compete. Their defense is better than expected with speed and grittiness to match up against the Camerons and Lavegas. Power backs and teams like LH may pose a challenge but it will be fun playing out. This is a great group of kids who hopefully wont let rankings go to their head.

Please dont ever compare 7 on 7 with real football. There is no correlation between that and wjhat happens on Friday nights.

dk1
09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
I agree in the sense of actual success on the field but as far as a confidence building for a predominantly young team I think it helped them tremendously. That coupled with that gritty defense gets it done. Dont you think coach?

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 11:20 AM
We were like 9 kids away from being in 3a. One of the smallest 4a schools in the state...

And??? You scored 70 on a school that is bigger than China Spring.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Please dont ever compare 7 on 7 with real football. There is no correlation between that and wjhat happens on Friday nights.

Team Speed and athletism. Very direct correlations to Friday nights. You cannot win without them in either sport. I am not a big fan of 7v7 either but I have called enough during the summer to recognize that fact.

coach
09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
And??? You scored 70 on a school that is bigger than China Spring.

Well at that time we only had 7 kids out lol. We scored 65 the week before I believe.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
I agree in the sense of actual success on the field but as far as a confidence building for a predominantly young team I think it helped them tremendously. That coupled with that gritty defense gets it done. Dont you think coach?

Five post in a year? You have been lurking!!!!!!

coach
09-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Team Speed and athletism. Very direct correlations to Friday nights. You cannot win without them in either sport. I am not a big fan of 7v7 either but I have called enough during the summer to recognize that fact.

Team speed can be shut down easily if you cant get off the LOS.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Well at that time we only had 7 kids out lol. We scored 65 the week before I believe.

Ah! Good point. :2thumbsup

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Team speed can be shut down easily if you cant get off the LOS.

Very true, won't argue that point either. Fairfield has always been tough. Even when my oldest son played them in 07 when CS went the SC game, it was something like 17-2. I think 08 was the only other time time that it was lopsided when little Bell threw for something like 7 of 8 TDs.

coach
09-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Very true, won't argue that point either. Fairfield has always been tough. Even when my oldest son played them in 07 when CS went the SC game, it was something like 17-2. I think 08 was the only other time time that it was lopsided when little Bell threw for something like 7 of 8 TDs.

We were terrible from 07-09. I think 2010 we went 10-1 and have been pretty solid ever since.

PurplePop
09-29-2015, 12:04 PM
7 on 7 is a waste of time. It's just kids playing pick-up football. It's like select baseball. Waste of time and money. I had to learn this the hard way, of course, over many years with two sons. Unless you commit to one sport (which I don't advocate for most kids, and you can't really do in football, anyway) and play year round, you're just having fun with the extra stuff. And, I'm a big believer in playing multiple sports. Summer is for baseball, not football. Down with 7 on 7.

FB-fanatic
09-29-2015, 12:57 PM
We were terrible from 07-09. I think 2010 we went 10-1 and have been pretty solid ever since.
(Lorena) :)

FB-fanatic
09-29-2015, 01:04 PM
7 on 7 is a waste of time. It's just kids playing pick-up football. It's like select baseball. Waste of time and money. I had to learn this the hard way, of course, over many years with two sons. Unless you commit to one sport (which I don't advocate for most kids, and you can't really do in football, anyway) and play year round, you're just having fun with the extra stuff. And, I'm a big believer in playing multiple sports. Summer is for baseball, not football. Down with 7 on 7.

Ask West if 7 on 7 is a waste of time. Insignificant until we convinced coaches and parents that all baseball and no play makes jack a dull boy. Even the year of the big explosion, when kids had to be more worried about saving their houses than 7 on 7 expenses, neighboring towns stepped up and comp'd their tourney fees and supplied shoes, etc.

West is far from insignificant now. Just spoke to a dad Saturday at Baylor game, who's son is current West QB and other son kicks for Rice, and he emphatically thanked me for helping convince their new coach to start a program similar to Lorena's.

coach
09-29-2015, 01:37 PM
(Lorena) :)

Was that when we drove it down your throats on the opening drive then fumble on the 1 yard line and yall returned it for a td and ended up winning by one score?

coach
09-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Ask West if 7 on 7 is a waste of time. Insignificant until we convinced coaches and parents that all baseball and no play makes jack a dull boy. Even the year of the big explosion, when kids had to be more worried about saving their houses than 7 on 7 expenses, neighboring towns stepped up and comp'd their tourney fees and supplied shoes, etc.

West is far from insignificant now. Just spoke to a dad Saturday at Baylor game, who's son is current West QB and other son kicks for Rice, and he emphatically thanked me for helping convince their new coach to start a program similar to Lorena's.

Whitney won the 7 on 7 championhip a while back. They havent won anything in 20 years...

dk1
09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Its a waste if you create plays specifically for 7 on 7 but when you are running actual fall football plays it is timing, repetition and in our case confidence. That's solely from an offensive perspective. Your D backs also flourish with the coverage experience. Just my opinion. How many teams do really well in state in 7 on 7 and dont in the fall? Haven't checked but am curious. Yes im a lurker. Usually just enjoy others opinions. Ive been aroung for 20 plus years though. 3a downlow, pigskin preps, centex football etc.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Yes im a lurker. Usually just enjoy others opinions. Ive been aroung for 20 plus years though. 3a downlow, pigskin preps, centex football etc.

:thumbsup: Not a bad thing.

coach
09-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't follow 7 on 7 but I just don't think it helps you all that much. Yea it is better than doing nothing but If 7 on 7 goes away then I don't see the production going down any. Plus I am in a huge believe in kids needing a break. Kids are now working out 24/7. I think that's one reason why we are seeing so many injuries. No time for their body to rest. For example, our guys come in the 1st weekend of August and have football until the 1st weekend of November. Off-season immediately starts and so does basketball. That will last until a week before spring break. Then you have track and baseball and also doing off-season on top of that. After the spring sports we bring out the footballs and begin 7 on 7 and that will last until about the first week of June. Followed by summer morning workouts that lead up until the start of 2 a days. 7 on 7 was added and I am just like why? There is no time for a break and be a kid. You want to know why we see knee injuries, broken bones, and concussions? Hell, I don't put my car through that much work. The kids need time for a little time off and we are failing to give them that bc we think they have to be working 24/7. Just my 2 cents.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Whitney won the 7 on 7 championhip a while back. They havent won anything in 20 years...

They have actually done rather well the last several years with Gilcrest being there, a Cameron Yoeman of course.

Again I raised two linemen, not a big proponent of 7 v 7.....except when the locals do well.

PurplePop
09-29-2015, 02:03 PM
I don't follow 7 on 7 but I just don't think it helps you all that much. Yea it is better than doing nothing but If 7 on 7 goes away then I don't see the production going down any. Plus I am in a huge believe in kids needing a break. Kids are now working out 24/7. I think that's one reason why we are seeing so many injuries. No time for their body to rest. For example, our guys come in the 1st weekend of August and have football until the 1st weekend of November. Off-season immediately starts and so does basketball. That will last until a week before spring break. Then you have track and baseball and also doing off-season on top of that. After the spring sports we bring out the footballs and begin 7 on 7 and that will last until about the first week of June. Followed by summer morning workouts that lead up until the start of 2 a days. 7 on 7 was added and I am just like why? There is no time for a break and be a kid. You want to know why we see knee injuries, broken bones, and concussions? Hell, I don't put my car through that much work. The kids need time for a little time off and we are failing to give them that bc we think they have to be working 24/7. Just my 2 cents.

Your comment is actually more what I had in mind as my major criticism. Thanks for saying it better than I did.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Coach,

Parents and players hear the pundits and college coaches rave over Texas high school QBs being so polished by the time they arrive at the college level because of the 7v7/year round programs in Texas. How do you "combat" against that line of thought with parents and the players themselves? I am fully aware of the percentage of High school kids that will make it to a college program. But how do you tell a kids not to "shoot for the stars" for lack of better term? I know I had to deal with that with two boys, one who did play D1 football and the other who didn't.

From personal experience and my older son's experience, if you are going to go to the next level you have to treat it as a year round sport. At the next level it is.

FB-fanatic
09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Was that when we drove it down your throats on the opening drive then fumble on the 1 yard line and yall returned it for a td and ended up winning by one score?

It was. We did put that "1" blimish on. My son was brought up as a sophomore to play QB and we won that game using 3 quarterbacks that night. And the following year we made a clutch final drive of 55 yards and he scored with :28 on the clock after a muffed punt and your defense overpursued and he cut back to the left around end.

coach
09-29-2015, 02:53 PM
It was. We did put that "1" blimish on. My son was brought up as a sophomore to play QB and we won that game using 3 quarterbacks that night. And the following year we made a clutch final drive of 55 yards and he scored with :28 on the clock after a muffed punt and your defense overpursued and he cut back to the left around end.

Yea. I was still in college during that dreadful game so i am alittle murky on all the details.

coach
09-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Coach,

Parents and players hear the pundits and college coaches rave over Texas high school QBs being so polished by the time they arrive at the college level because of the 7v7/year round programs in Texas. How do you "combat" against that line of thought with parents and the players themselves? I am fully aware of the percentage of High school kids that will make it to a college program. But how do you tell a kids not to "shoot for the stars" for lack of better term? I know I had to deal with that with two boys, one who did play D1 football and the other who didn't.

From personal experience and my older son's experience, if you are going to go to the next level you have to treat it as a year round sport. At the next level it is.

You are right. It is hard to tell a kid who is motivated not to play. If I ever have a son I will never tell him no to something that he wants to get better at. I might give him some advice why to rethink what he is doing but if he thinks it will better his chances of reaching his goal then I am all for it. I just think that the kids don't have enough down time and that 7 on 7 doesn't help you a whole lot in the real game. It doesn't hurt but I would say all the hoopla over it is way overrated.

d0tc0m
09-29-2015, 03:11 PM
I cover football here in Missouri, and I can tell you teams around here are starved for 7on7, and they know it. A former coach — who is now a coordinator at Beaumont Westbrook — from a Springfield team I cover took his kids down to Texas a few summers ago to get a taste of 7on7. Then he brought them back up here and competed in and won a local tournament. His offense went to another level that fall. Their defense was abysmal, so they never won, but their offense was putting up 600+ yards a game. He credited a lot of that to introducing the kids to 7on7 and getting the QB and receivers into a rhythm, building trust/chemistry.

toddg
09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
I cover football here in Missouri, and I can tell you teams around here are starved for 7on7, and they know it. A former coach — who is now a coordinator at Beaumont Westbrook — from a Springfield team I cover took his kids down to Texas a few summers ago to get a taste of 7on7. Then he brought them back up here and competed in and won a local tournament. His offense went to another level that fall. Their defense was abysmal, so they never won, but their offense was putting up 600+ yards a game. He credited a lot of that to introducing the kids to 7on7 and getting the QB and receivers into a rhythm, building trust/chemistry.SO..the other 7 of the 7 on 7 did not benefit? 7on7 drills in football were designed to benefit both Offense and Defense in a limited amount of time ie; practice time..offense putting up 600 yards means the other teams defense is abysmal as well. so why never won? i think it has some benefit, but not as much as some think.

d0tc0m
09-29-2015, 03:38 PM
SO..the other 7 of the 7 on 7 did not benefit? 7on7 drills in football were designed to benefit both Offense and Defense in a limited amount of time ie; practice time..offense putting up 600 yards means the other teams defense is abysmal as well. so why never won? i think it has some benefit, but not as much as some think.

No, the defense did not benefit from 7on7. . The kids were scared to hit when the pads came on. Also, in Missouri, coaches are very handicapped with tackling drills they are able to run in practice. But your very simple argument does not negate the fact that the offense greatly benefited from its 7on7 experience. If it doesn't help your kids/program, that's fine. But 7on7 does benefit some programs, and I just don't understand why people get up-at-arms about that.

toddg
09-29-2015, 03:49 PM
No, the defense did not benefit from 7on7. . The kids were scared to hit when the pads came on. Also, in Missouri, coaches are very handicapped with tackling drills they are able to run in practice. But your very simple argument does not negate the fact that the offense greatly benefited from its 7on7 experience. If it doesn't help your kids/program, that's fine. But 7on7 does benefit some programs, and I just don't understand why people get up-at-arms about that.
im not against it..but 7on7 drills have been around, in football practice, for as long as i can remember, to benefit both..

dk1
09-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Coach you are exactly right. My boys have played just about every sport from the age of 4-6. Usually getting a month off in the summer before starting over again. I coached many of their peewee and little league teams and I often wonder if it was all worth it. I would hurry from work half stressed and drive for 30 plus miles or more to a practice or a game. I didnt push them as they wanted to participate because their peers did. Their time at home has flown by and most of it was spent at some type of organized sport. No regrets really but your point is spot on. One of the boys camped and worked out all summer and I think hes a little burnt out. Luckily the injury bug has never been an issue.

d0tc0m
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Anyway ... It's cool to see China Spring football back and getting some love. But I think in all non-computer generated polls, Navasota is a unanimous favorite, as well they should be. Hope the Cougars continue to compete and play some December football, though.

Wayne
09-29-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't put CP ahead of Navasota. Until they are knocked off that porch, they will always be the big dog. Defending State Champs that returned everyone. Sorry nothing against CP but I don't like this poll. And LE is still underrated in this poll.

navscanmaster
09-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't put CP ahead of Navasota. Until they are knocked off that porch, they will always be the big dog. Defending State Champs that returned everyone. Sorry nothing against CP but I don't like this poll. And LE is still underrated in this poll.
Navasota won the 7 on 7 tourney this summer as well. The Rattlers will be tested on defense come playoff time, with the starting senior MLB out for the year yet again, but I don't see anyone stopping the offense.

Matthew328
09-29-2015, 09:27 PM
7on7 is beneficial if utilized correctly using schemes on Friday nights...reps are key and there is correlation between teams who run their system in 7 on 7 and are successful to Friday nights....is 7 on 7 the reason they are good on Friday?? Doubtful, that would be causation....correlation just means there is a relationship between winning in 7 on 7 and Friday...which there certainly is....

Take Whitney for example....ever since they played 7 on 7 (and got competitive at it) they've been much better at the real thing....is 7 on 7 the reason? No...but it has not hurt them in fact its probably helped..and why? They run their Friday night offense and defense...

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 10:06 PM
7on7 is beneficial if utilized correctly using schemes on Friday nights...reps are key and there is correlation between teams who run their system in 7 on 7 and are successful to Friday nights....is 7 on 7 the reason they are good on Friday?? Doubtful, that would be causation....correlation just means there is a relationship between winning in 7 on 7 and Friday...which there certainly is....

Take Whitney for example....ever since they played 7 on 7 (and got competitive at it) they've been much better at the real thing....is 7 on 7 the reason? No...but it has not hurt them in fact its probably helped..and why? They run their Friday night offense and defense...

as does China Spring, which lost to Navasota by 1 point in the 7 v 7 SC. The exact same plays.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 10:08 PM

Didn't hurt having Gilchrest and Brunet pitching and catching either.

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't put CP ahead of Navasota. Until they are knocked off that porch, they will always be the big dog. Defending State Champs that returned everyone. Sorry nothing against CP but I don't like this poll.

I certainly don't disagree with that.

hollywood
09-29-2015, 10:14 PM
How many pages of discussion did this poll generate?

coach
09-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Didn't hurt having Gilchrest and Brunet pitching and catching either.

Gilcrest is a great kid. I got to know them when they were at Caldwell.

coach
09-30-2015, 09:37 AM
7 on 7 is the equivalent to AAU

Rabid Cougar
09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
How many pages of discussion did this poll generate?

Back to OP. The Poll is crap. How's that?

Rabid Cougar
09-30-2015, 09:46 AM

The UIL will eventually get involved.

Matthew328
09-30-2015, 07:20 PM

As long as its school based teams its not even close.

d0tc0m
09-30-2015, 08:12 PM

LoL. Oh, brother.