PDA

View Full Version : History of the Great Pyrenees on old postcards

Pudlugger
09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
For you dog lovers out there the number one dog for me it is not a Bulldog but a Great Pyrenees flock guardian. The big fella at the end looks like my Piers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYfkXxxbWx8

1st and goal
09-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Yes, great dogs. Unfortunately, many people buy them thinking they are big, calm, lovable furry hairballs like Golden Retrievers, and that, they are not.

They need something to guard. And guard it, they will. They do give lots of love back to the owners, but owners should be careful if strange dogs come into the scene.

Pudlugger
09-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Yes they need to be trained early. They will bark at any and every intruder whether it be a coyote or a possum. Their hearing is incredible they can hear the slightest sound of an intruder through closed windows and doors with the tv or AC running. They are great with children too. When Piers was a year old Mrs. Pudlugger was walking him late at night on the ranch and he got between her and a dark silhouetted figure about 30 feet away and arched his back and emitted a low growl. It was a wild hog. Another time at night on a walk he went to the fence line and touched noses with what my wife thought was a beautiful black cat with a white strip! Yikes a skunk! No worries Piers made him a friend and he ambled away. Piers makes lots of friends and when he does you can rest assured he will be there to protect you if he can. Great Pyrenees are called great for a reason.

PurplePop
09-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Beagles rule!

99IHSMustang
09-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately, like all big dog breeds their life span is short.

Pudlugger
09-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, like all big dog breeds their life span is short.

Pyrenees live 10- 12 years on average, better than other large breeds like Great Danes or St. Bernards.

Cam
09-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Pyrenees indeed cool dogs....my neighbor had one who roamed freely and would come visit and hang out from time to time....even shared a beer with him.....it wasn't unusual to see him draggin' a deer carcas somewhere!....unfortunately, his roaming around cost him his life recently as he was hit by a car on the highway....
As for me, I'll stick to my Cleopatra (Cleo)...my runt-of-the-litter-weenie-dog with small ears!....she was not happy with me for snappin' this shot of her doing her thing!!!:doh:........dang dog is so smart I keep waitin' to hear her start talkin'!....best doggie I've ever owned!......
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/DSC_0907.jpg

greendawg84
09-22-2015, 02:32 PM
They say most dogs resemble their owners ...... just saying there ole buddy ........

Cam
09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
They say most dogs resemble their owners ...... just saying there ole buddy ........

...well....she is a beautiful dog!......:D:taunt:

Blue42
09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Just as long as she does not take pic of you doing your thing !