PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill vs. Abilene Wylie

LHPop
09-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Time for some real Texas HS Football!!

slingshot
09-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Who wins and why? I don't know much about this year's LH team--suspect they will play tough defense, run the ball effectively and eat up clock. We also will not impress anyone with our speed or Star Wars offense--just use the short passing game to set up the run, control the clock and play lights out defense. Could be a slobber-knocker...

Leopardfan201
09-19-2015, 12:39 PM
From my experience seeing them against LG...LH is a very good team...but Wylie is also..tough one...give me LH by 3

panfan
09-19-2015, 12:58 PM
I have no dog in this fight this season so will try to provide an objective assessment (with a bit of homerism). LH is young this year, lost lots of seniors, but also had a number of junior starters. Those returning starters are well seasoned, but new guys getting varsity time this year are still finding their way. Most notably, sophmore QB, offensive line, and defensive secondary. We have some play makers, but still using this preseason to gel. Evidence - 4 turnovers against Bwood, and a number against la Grange as well. Solid wins against not so good teams as expected. If we will keep turnovers to a minimum and execute our offense as much as some think its a gimmick or boring, it is highly effective. QB has a good arm and can definetely throw the ball down the field. I've seen more passing this season tha all of last season put together. Last year's QB was a runner and a damn fine one at that. This year's kid, can move, but has a very good arm. Does a great job of concealing the ball.

Defense - Last night while running chains I saw way to much tackling at the shoulder pad height and not enough of driving the grill into the chest and side for more solid tackles. Too much arm tackling. I think coaches saw it too and will rectify this week. Got a couple quick and good size fellas on the d-line that can get in the back field to create some havoc. Linebackers are solid and doing their job.

I have no doubt AW will be as tough this year as they were last. We can certainly win, but it will be a close game. LH keeps turnovers to minimum and they will move the ball effectively and eat the clock. Can't let AW get too far out in front. Have some injuries to contend with and a few starters out, but some youngsters are getting solid playing time now to develop.

Looking forward to an excellent game by both teams.

panfan
09-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Time for some real Texas HS Football!!

Hop over to the other thread and give us some feedback on this week's game. Assume you got a boy playing?

panfan
09-19-2015, 01:07 PM
I think the last time I recall AW playing in Liberty Hill, it got cancelled due to monster lightning storm.

regaleagle
09-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Errr....Ahem.....I think it's Abilene WYLIE, not WILEY, haha. They may play like Wiley Coyote, though.

regaleagle
09-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Geez, this will be a very good game, imo. And @ LH, so that's a pretty long distance travel game for AW. Wylie has a very good qb this season that is a leader and has size. He runs behind his blocks very well, and spreads the ball around to his offensive weapons nicely, also. I'm not sure LH defense can key on one or two guys against Wylie. Ward has a great arm as well, and has big receivers Jaxon Money(6-3, 190) and Blake Johnston(6-4,190). Both are seniors, as is Ward(6-3,205). Money is money for Wylie. Look out for Josh Novil & Asbill carrying the rock, and Brooks Pepper was all over the field on both offense & defense. Hey this team is loaded with big tall guys, and lots of senior leadership. I'm looking at them and wondering why they haven't scored more points so far, but look at the schedule they've played. Now I know absolutely zero about Liberty Hill's team this season.....nada, zip, nothing, haha. But I can tell you that Abilene Wylie is a force to be reckoned with for any team they meet this season. That much I know for certain. Carry on......just my 2 cents worth on Wylie so far.

LionFan72
09-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Should be a real competative game the first half, Wylie running away with it in second half. LH has good runners and a QB that can throw the ball well, against us anyway. Dual dimension LH could prove trouble for a lot of teams this year, but I think if Wylie plays solid mistake=free ball, could be a 3 TD win.

regaleagle
09-19-2015, 02:21 PM
You said a mouthful there, LionFan72. SOLID.....that's exactly what this season's Wylie team is. Not sure about mistake-free, but they don't have to be because they are so solid in all areas.

lv2937
09-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Wylie by 10. Don't think LH is as good as they was last year.

lv2937
09-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Wiley by 10

panfan
09-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Wylie by 10. Don't think LH is as good as they was last year.

Of course you don't want us to be as good as last year, cause that means the end of the road for the Bullpups. :taunt:

lostaussie
09-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Wyley by 21. Probably mad about misspell:D

solocam
09-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Wylie by 14

slingshot
09-19-2015, 05:58 PM
This will be a good one. Always takes us a quarter or so to adjust to the Slot-T, no way really to simulate it in practice for the new starters and has been a year since the returning guys have seen it. I do think this year we are big, physical and deep enough on defense to contain it (you don't stop it... ). On the other hand it usually takes teams a period of time to adjust to our multiple sets and alignments--one of the refs at last week's game told me watching Wylie on offense was like watching a college team. In all honesty it's really the same 8-10 plays over and over, we just disguise them well with so many variations and fakes. We can be stopped but it is hard and if you sell out to stop the run we burn you with a deep pass or screen, if you drop back into pass coverage we run it down your throat. Coach Sandifer is VERY good at recognizing team's defensive tendencies and making them pay (when we have the athletes to do it--this year we do)...

slingshot
09-19-2015, 06:00 PM
I'll go with Wylie by 10 BTW...

Wayne
09-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Wylie is so balanced on both sides of the ball. I'm taking Wylie by 7

Eagle Nation
09-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Wylie by 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccmom
09-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Mods could have chosen to keep the thread title that was spelled correctly, but NOOOOO. ;)

WYLIE by 10 sounds good to me

slingshot
09-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Mods could have chosen to keep the thread title that was spelled correctly, but NOOOOO. ;)

Noticed that too... :rolleyes:

WOS87
09-20-2015, 05:10 AM
I don't know what you're talking about :smoker:

ccmom
09-20-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't know what you're talking about :smoker:

Haha...sneaky!! :)

greendawg84
09-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Of course you don't want us to be as good as last year, cause that means the end of the road for the Bullpups. :taunt:

These Wylie Bullpups are big , strong and fast ! They play well on both sides of the ball . They could have hung more points on us at anytime , they just chose not to . We did get a couple of scores on their second string but did not move the ball at all on their 1's . I did not ever see the stats but by my count we had 4 first downs in the first half against them . LH is doing their usual , losing to good teams but getting ready for when it counts . They will be there in the end as always ..... but give me the Bullpups by 14 in this one .

LionFan72
09-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Awful quite over here, yawl scared?

slingshot
09-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Awful quite over here, yawl scared?Nahh... we ain't skeered. ;)

nobogey72
09-21-2015, 12:11 PM

Not scared. I've actually kindof distracted, still trying to figure out how Alvarado beat y'all Friday. Seeing as how you were 3-0 and were a lock for that 8th SC, and were convinced that you should be in the top 2 or 3 in all the ranking polls, I just can't figure out how Alvarado beat you. My only conclusion is that Alvarado must be the best High School football team ever.:taunt::taunt:

Cam
09-21-2015, 12:12 PM

...quite what??.....

lv2937
09-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Panfan, I know my bulldawgs isn't as good as they were last year. I think we have a good chance of beating the mighty Panthers this year. Thought we had a chance to win last year also.

nobogey72
09-21-2015, 12:20 PM
...quite what??.....

nice !!!!!

panfan
09-25-2015, 06:08 AM
ITS GAME DAY!!!! Been on the road to spudtown Idaho where there is No cell coverage, so have had to wait until today. Bullpups, may be big and fast, but we got a few surprises for them this evening. :taunt: I know everyone thinks we are going to lose, but I'm saying LH by 3. Last year's loss was a bitter pill to swallow, and looking for a bit of payback. Who know's maybe a hook and ladder, but that would require us to pass, wait, we do pass now...... Talked to panfan Jr at the airport last night and he said AW was the one team he wanted more than anything to beat. Pre district or not, Vance wants this win - hope our boys are up for the challenge.

hollywood
09-25-2015, 07:05 AM
ITS GAME DAY!!!! Been on the road to spudtown Idaho where there is No cell coverage, so have had to wait until today. Bullpups, may be big and fast, but we got a few surprises for them this evening. :taunt: I know everyone thinks we are going to lose, but I'm saying LH by 3. Last year's loss was a bitter pill to swallow, and looking for a bit of payback. Who know's maybe a hook and ladder, but that would require us to pass, wait, we do pass now...... Talked to panfan Jr at the airport last night and he said AW was the one team he wanted more than anything to beat. Pre district or not, Vance wants this win - hope our boys are up for the challenge.

Spudtown? What the heck were you doing there?!

Good luck Panthers.

panfan
09-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Spudtown? What the heck were you doing there?!

Good luck Panthers.

My work takes me off the beaten path.....

panfan
09-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Panfan, I know my bulldawgs isn't as good as they were last year. I think we have a good chance of beating the mighty Panthers this year. Thought we had a chance to win last year also.

We shall see..... :tisk:

ccmom
09-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Game day! Let's hope the Panthers aren't organizing rain dances today to bring in a crazy storm to cancel the game like the last time our Bulldogs came to town. ;) Gosh, that was crazy!!

Panfan, good luck to your son. I expect a great game....Let's go Bulldogs!! :clap:

panfan
09-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Game day! Let's hope the Panthers aren't organizing rain dances today to bring in a crazy storm to cancel the game like the last time our Bulldogs came to town. ;) Gosh, that was crazy!!

Panfan, good luck to your son. I expect a great game....Let's go Bulldogs!! :clap:

Mine graduated last year - we were talking about AW and he had mentioned how much he wanted to win that game cause they considered them to be such a good team. I think the sentiment is the same this year. Good luck to all the players and here is hoping for an injury free game.

ccmom
09-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Mine graduated last year - we were talking about AW and he had mentioned how much he wanted to win that game cause they considered them to be such a good team. I think the sentiment is the same this year. Good luck to all the players and here is hoping for an injury free game.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

For the record, I don't think "everyone" thinks y'all will lose, as you stated. Several picked LH in the pick em contest, and I think pigskin preps picked LH, too. I expect it to be a battle, and for both teams to be better for it. Although the travel distance is a big negative, I love having LH on the schedule.

nobogey72
09-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Panfan,

Our plan is to go through Llano and eat at Coopers, but someone told us that Smokeys right there in LH is just as good. What you say about that?

slingshot
09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

For the record, I don't think "everyone" thinks y'all will lose, as you stated. Several picked LH in the pick em contest, and I think pigskin preps picked LH, too. I expect it to be a battle, and for both teams to be better for it. Although the travel distance is a big negative, I love having LH on the schedule.This--playing teams like LH, Burnet, Graham and Argyle makes you a better team. Beating weak teams by 40+ pts does not prepare you for district or the playoffs.

ccmom
09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Panfan,

Our plan is to go through Llano and eat at Coopers, but someone told us that Smokeys right there in LH is just as good. What you say about that?

Cooper's and places like that gross me out...but the males in my house love it. Must be barbaric man kind of thing. Whatever...

panfan
09-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Panfan,

Smokey Mo's is pretty dang good,and it won't cost you what Cooper's will. Folks would suggest I'm spewing blasphemy if I said Smokey Mo's was as good as Coopers, but it is very good BBQ. Its out on 183, just about 3/4 mile south of the intersection with 29.

panfan
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
I may be running chains tonight, but if anyone is up for a M&G at the south end at Halftime, let me know and I'll make my way over there, and maybe we can convince some others from LH to come on down (seem to be a shy bunch lately).

slingshot
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Smokey Mo's is pretty dang good,and it won't cost you what Cooper's will. Folks would suggest I'm spewing blasphemy if I said Smokey Mo's was as good as Coopers, but it is very good BBQ. Its out on 183, just about 3/4 mile south of the intersection with 29.
Think we'll try that--was looking for a good place to eat...

slingshot
09-25-2015, 12:24 PM
I may be running chains tonight, but if anyone is up for a M&G at the south end at Halftime, let me know and I'll make my way over there, and maybe we can convince some others from LH to come on down (seem to be a shy bunch lately).I can prob make it... provided no serious injuries to deal with.

greendawg84
09-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Panfan,

Not even close , go with Coopers .

vincehaass1994
09-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Not even close , go with Coopers .
Come on guys Cooper's is pretty overrated, and Friday evening so prepare to wait.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

solocam
09-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I agree x2

panfan
09-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Anybody at south end?

ccmom
09-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Congrats to LH on the victory tonight and best of luck on the rest of the season! We will be better because of this. I still believe!!

91 lion
09-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Congrats to LH on the victory tonight and best of luck on the rest of the season! We will be better because of this. I still believe!!

Congrats LH! Good luck in region 4.

panfan
09-25-2015, 10:15 PM
That was one physical game. I said early on if LH plays their best game, 4 complete quarters, we can win. We finally played those four full quarters, and only turned the ball over once. AW brought it and it was back and forth most of the night. Congrats to AW on their solid play, no doubt they will go far. Congrats to the panthers on a big Win.

LionFan72
09-25-2015, 11:37 PM
Not scared. I've actually kindof distracted, still trying to figure out how Alvarado beat y'all Friday. Seeing as how you were 3-0 and were a lock for that 8th SC, and were convinced that you should be in the top 2 or 3 in all the ranking polls, I just can't figure out how Alvarado beat you. My only conclusion is that Alvarado must be the best High School football team ever.:taunt::taunt:

Cool your keyboard there nobody72, those words never came off my screen. We lost by 3 to a obviously hungry team on a last seconds play. Give respect to Alvarado, they proved tonight they are contenders. Im thinking right now 4-4A is gonna be a dog fight, but yes, we will be there to contend! From what ive seen so far, right now we are a top 20 team, making improvements. After tonight, looks as though improvement is needed amongst all five teams. Bullpups have fallen from grace, so how's that taste?

And congrats to LH for a quality win!

slingshot
09-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Anybody at south end?Sorry, we had several injuries--was pretty tied up. Liberty Hill really impressed me, they controlled the clock--wore our D out and played very good defense. Total team win--congrats to you guys.

Rocket
09-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Impressive win, Liberty Hill! I knew you would do it.

nobogey72
09-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Cool your keyboard there nobody72, those words never came off my screen. We lost by 3 to a obviously hungry team on a last seconds play. Give respect to Alvarado, they proved tonight they are contenders. Im thinking right now 4-4A is gonna be a dog fight, but yes, we will be there to contend! From what ive seen so far, right now we are a top 20 team, making improvements. After tonight, looks as though improvement is needed amongst all five teams. Bullpups have fallen from grace, so how's that taste?

And congrats to LH for a quality win!

Didn't taste very good at all. Our defense actually played their guts out. We got enough stops (2 in the first half and 3 in the 2nd) to have won the game. We just didn't execute on offense at all. And, LH defense had a lot to do with that. It seemed we were just a step off on our vertical passing game all night. Had guys open and just couldn't connect. LH was impressive, and like I said, we got enough stops to have won, but at critical times we just couldn't get off the field. I don't know how many 3rd and longs that LH converted but it was a lot and they came at crucial times.

panfan
09-28-2015, 10:40 AM
We should be ranked, top 5 at least, we get no respect, We'll beat you and take your money......... (figuratively)...... Oh wait, someone already said all this stuff. :doh:

What we will do is still be playing into the late fall early winter!!! I write checks when there is little to no money in the bank, and float loans from my other accounts!

panfan
09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Didn't taste very good at all. Our defense actually played their guts out. We got enough stops (2 in the first half and 3 in the 2nd) to have won the game. We just didn't execute on offense at all. And, LH defense had a lot to do with that. It seemed we were just a step off on our vertical passing game all night. Had guys open and just couldn't connect. LH was impressive, and like I said, we got enough stops to have won, but at critical times we just couldn't get off the field. I don't know how many 3rd and longs that LH converted but it was a lot and they came at crucial times.
Like I said - AW was one tough team - mucho respect here for the level of play they showed.