PDA

View Full Version : West Orange-Stark (3-0) vs Silsbee (3-0)

WOS87
09-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Well this officially will be the last undefeated opponent we will face until the post-season (if we make it there) and probably well into the postseason. Newton lost to Bridge City. Richmond Foster lost to HISD Houston Reagan?? (are they down this year or was I looking at the wrong Reagan? or is Houston Reagan actually good?) and none of District 9 D2 is undefeated now except for WOS. Sillsbee has been a big rival since the 1980's although they've only beaten us twice ever. WOS won 35-0 last year but Silsbee is better than they were.

Pudlugger
09-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Silsbee will give WOS a game but in the end the Mustangs will win probably by 14 points or so. Jack Dallas will be the difference. Look for a high scoring game like 49-35.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Well this officially will be the last undefeated opponent we will face until the post-season (if we make it there) and probably well into the postseason. Newton lost to Bridge City. Richmond Foster lost to HISD Houston Reagan?? (are they down this year or was I looking at the wrong Reagan? or is Houston Reagan actually good?) and none of District 9 D2 is undefeated now except for WOS. Sillsbee has been a big rival since the 1980's although they've only beaten us twice ever. WOS won 35-0 last year but Silsbee is better than they were.

C'mon '87, you know my Tigers have beaten the Stangs 3 times. lol ('93, '98, '09)

griff
09-13-2015, 11:19 AM
C'mon '87, you know my Tigers have beaten the Stangs 3 times. lol ('93, '98, '09)

That '98 playoff loss still stings. That team should have gone deep and had a legitimate shot at beating LaMarque. It was remarkable to see Silsbee improve so much during the course of that season. WO-S beat them handily the first time that year, then Silsbee turned it up several notches. I think the WO-S players may have felt a little overconfident playing them again and it cost them. The rain and sloppy field contributed to us missing that all important PAT. Silsbee won much respect from me on that night.

But...on to 2015. I like WO-S's chances in this one, though this looks like Silsbee's best team in several years. I never take them lightly.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2015, 11:46 AM
That '98 playoff loss still stings. That team should have gone deep and had a legitimate shot at beating LaMarque. It was remarkable to see Silsbee improve so much during the course of that season. WO-S beat them handily the first time that year, then Silsbee turned it up several notches. I think the WO-S players may have felt a little overconfident playing them again and it cost them. The rain and sloppy field contributed to us missing that all important PAT. Silsbee won much respect from me on that night.

But...on to 2015. I like WO-S's chances in this one, though this looks like Silsbee's best team in several years. I never take them lightly.

Mustangs are obviously the favorite in this game. Silsbee is much improved from last year. I think they can have a very good season this year, win or lose this game. As much as I like this team, not sure they are as good as the 2012 team led by junior QB Patrick Reed or the 2009 team led by senior QB Jeremy Johnson. The 2008 team led by JJ really should have won that game at WO-S. Mental lapse at end of game cost Silsbee.

That '98 playoff win over WO-S was a good one. Silsbee scored on their first play from scrimmage and really catapulted them to the win and a great playoff run, losing to LaMarque in regional finals 20-14.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:15 AM

I believe the guy who missed that extra point hangs around this joint, doesn't he??? :)

I expect this to be a close game and probably not as high scoring as some may think.

Do they still have a GOTW for each region? If so, shouldn't this be considered?

chaingang
09-14-2015, 10:19 AM
We had many uncharacteristic parts of that 98 game. We couldn't hold on to the football. The field was terrible. To this day I'm not sure who picked PA Jefferson field to begin with. That field was terrible without the rain. My plant foot slipped about 8 inches and couldn't recover,made me push that damn kick right. Wish I could have that one back. Haunted me well into my post HS football career.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:23 AM
We had many uncharacteristic parts of that 98 game. We couldn't hold on to the football. The field was terrible. To this day I'm not sure who picked PA Jefferson field to begin with. That field was terrible without the rain. My plant foot slipped about 8 inches and couldn't recover,made me push that damn kick right. Wish I could have that one back. Haunted me well into my post HS football career.

:) :) :) Mustang nation forgives you, bro!

But you know I have to give you a hard time when the opportunity presents itself. :)

chaingang
09-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Also, many don't know this but coach Hooks told me to get ready, we were going to kick a fieldgoal if it was 55 yards or closer to try and win that game. Can't remember all of it but I believe we were driving with no time outs left and Jermaine slipped as he was looking to throw, took a sack.

chaingang
09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
:) :) :) Mustang nation forgives you, bro!

But you know I have to give you a hard time when the opportunity presents itself. :)

Lol! I know bro. Still pissed at myself though. That team could have possibly given us that 3rd UIL trophy. We were that good. Just picked a terrible night for the wheels to fall off. I mean put it this way, Mig was one of the best punters in the district all season. That night I think he had net 10 yards on 3 punts. Lol!! Sloppy field and a much better Silsbee team did us in.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Lol! I know bro. Still pissed at myself though. That team could have possibly given us that 3rd UIL trophy. We were that good. Just picked a terrible night for the wheels to fall off.

That was one of those nights when what could go wrong would go wrong. Cornel is still pissed at Dan for agreeing to play in PA. lol

chaingang
09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah all of us players talked in the locker room on Monday before the game wondering if Hooks lost his mind. We were thinking SFA because of what the coaches had said the week before. That whole week of practice was strange too. Something was off.

chaingang
09-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Back to this game, I feel a little nervous about it also. Silsbee looks better than last year and were young. I will say that the kids are coming together and our speed is amazing. Do I think we win? Of course. But like you WOS1, I have a feeling it will be low scoring.

BwdLions
09-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Since both teams are unbeaten, I'm sure the hype is more than usual for this one. I have to go with the Mustangs in this one. Hopefully it will be a competitive and entertaining game.

AggiesAreWe
09-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Silsbee also missed 2 FG in that game, one in 3Q, the other in 4Q.

HEMOTOXIC
09-14-2015, 01:52 PM
I picked against WOS against the tribe of PNG. Give me the Mustangs. Defense wins championships.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Silsbee also missed 2 FG in that game, one in 3Q, the other in 4Q.

Yup, but if I remember correctly, at least one of those was from a ridiculous distance. I remember thinking there was no way they would make it. We also had a punt return for TD called back for a block in the back 20 yards back down-field that had no relevance in the play.

chaingang
09-15-2015, 08:28 AM
That game was almost impossible to kick. I had to take a fieldgoal approach to kick off and still busted my butt every time.

lostaussie
09-15-2015, 08:35 AM
You guys reliving some good memories!! ( or bad, depending on how you look at it).
Who has Silsbee beaten? Do they have a chance to hang around with the Stangs this year?
You guys going to be tough to take down this year!!

waterboy
09-15-2015, 10:15 AM
West Orange-Stark is number 1 for a reason. Silsbee is in for a world of hurt!:D:vrycnfsd:

chaingang
09-15-2015, 10:24 AM
West Orange-Stark is number 1 for a reason. Silsbee is in for a world of hurt!:D:vrycnfsd:

Well, your number 2 (1 DII) in the AP poll so target back at you ;). Lol

waterboy
09-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Well, your number 2 (1 DII) in the AP poll so target back at you ;). Lol

Everybody knows the AP is clueless! The ones "in the know" say West Orange-Stark is number 1. I'll go with that. :D

Truthfully, we have a long way to go to be deserving of a ranking that high.

chaingang
09-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Everybody knows the AP is clueless! The ones "in the know" say West Orange-Stark is number 1. I'll go with that. :D

Truthfully, we have a long way to go to be deserving of a ranking that high.

Well, ive always felt the previous year SC should be #1 untill beaten. Kind of screwey in the AP poll because they lump D1 and D2 together. But 1&2 are correct.

waterboy
09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Well, ive always felt the previous year SC should be #1 untill beaten. Kind of screwey in the AP poll because they lump D1 and D2 together. But 1&2 are correct.

Only because of where they finished LAST year! This year WO-S is number 1, at least in D2!

WOS1
09-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Only because of where they finished LAST year! This year WO-S is number 1, at least in D2!

Gilmer is definitely the favorite in DII, no question.

WOS87
09-17-2015, 01:50 AM
Gilmer and LaGrange.. we are so far behind.. they are the ones to beat

Leopardfan201
09-17-2015, 04:07 AM
Gilmer and LaGrange.. we are so far behind.. they are the ones to beat

Gilmer and LG r better than what they whr last year..but so is WOS..they r beast...rankings dnt mean nothing to me LG being #5 in the AP poll..I'm not sure they deserve it ..we will see...but in December when WOS and LG play again...we will see than who the better teams r...But Celina,Sweetwater, WOS, LG, Gilmer, Sinton, and Navarro r all legit title contenders

GUNHO
09-17-2015, 06:18 PM
I don't know where they are getting this high ranking for WO-S.Only have the QB back on offense and six on defense.We are no where near the team we were last year,at least not yet.Don't get me wrong.This team has the talent and by playoff time could be as good as last year but they aren't there yet.The key as with all small schools is to stay injury free.

WOS87
09-18-2015, 08:08 PM
WOS and Silsbee both score on first drives.. both 3 and out on 2nd possessions

WOS scores in early 2nd Q

Silsbee 3 and out

Silsbee punting with WOS leading 13-8

WOS 1st and 10 on their own 24

Silsbee has facemask penalty

WOS 1st and 10 on their own 48

WOS 1st and 10 on Silsbee 29

WOS scores.. WOS 20, Silsbee 8 4:33 2nd Q

steerz2010
09-18-2015, 09:21 PM
I left at halftime...28 20 WOS Silsbees QB is the real deal

WOS87
09-18-2015, 09:36 PM
WOS 35
Silsbee 28
Late 3rd Quarter

WOS87
09-18-2015, 09:40 PM
WOS 35
Silsbee 28
End of 3rd Q

WOS on Silsbee 14

WOS87
09-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Nail just went into the coffin. WOS scores again.

WOS 49
Silsbee 28
1:00 4th Q

bobcat1
09-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Nail just went into the coffin. WOS scores again.

WOS 49
Silsbee 28
1:00 4th Q Could we get WOS and the Real Orange for the whole enchilada? I'd like that.

WOS87
09-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Could we get WOS and the Real Orange for the whole enchilada? I'd like that.

Celina and Sweetwater are my dream teams to match up against. Gotta get past those pesky Buckeyes though!

lostaussie
09-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Celina and Sweetwater are my dream teams to match up against. Gotta get past those pesky Buckeyes though!

Ha......we are verticality challenged this year. We can smash it down your throat and play good defense......but so far, although it improving slowly, we can't catch the dadgum ball

Aesculus gilmus
09-19-2015, 07:51 AM
I'm going to take up for the receivers on that one. A lot of times the ball is not being thrown close enough to them for them even to attempt a catch. And, of course, the phrase "vertically challenged" brings to mind the passes being batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Roughneck93
09-19-2015, 12:46 PM
A few highlights....

https://youtu.be/dJv2xY7KC1g

SintonFan_inAustin
09-19-2015, 06:01 PM
A few highlights....

https://youtu.be/dJv2xY7KC1g
thanks