PDA

View Full Version : Tatum @Gilmer

lostaussie
09-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Bad news. Buckeye QB had emergency appendectomy. He is out. Someone has to step up and it may be a sophomore. We shall see.

d0tc0m
09-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Man, hate to hear that for the kid. Hope the recovery goes well and he gets back quickly. I think Gilmer has a good enough defense and plenty of other offensive weapons to be just fine Friday night, though.

lostaussie
09-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Tatum will be ready.......and they won't care that we are starting a qb that likely, depending on who it is, has never taken a varsity snap.

waterboy
09-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I hated to hear about Zac. He is out 2 to 3 weeks. He will be missed. It will probably be Brett Rice or Poppee starting? I'll have to admit that I don't know who this Poppee is, though, but I have heard he is a cross between Derek McKenzie and Stump Godfrey... :eek: Both QBs are very capable, but lack experience at the varsity level. I just hope we can beat Tatum this week. That's what matters most right now.

Sweetwater Red
09-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Bad news. Buckeye QB had emergency appendectomy. He is out. Someone has to step up and it may be a sophomore. We shall see.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Stump Godfrey

Now there is a name I haven't read in a while. Last time I saw him he was running
wild over AW in the SC game.

waterboy
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Well..., I just heard that Brett Rice has bronchitis and is questionable for tomorrow night. We may be starting a sophomore. I also heard some good news, though. It appears that Zac will likely be back next week.

lostaussie
09-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I thought Rice was a sophomore?

waterboy
09-10-2015, 01:51 PM
I thought Rice was a sophomore?

No, Brett is a junior.

waterboy
09-10-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm anxious to see how Poppee (or Rice if he plays, which is doubtful) does. I think he will be fine. It's not like he hasn't been running this same offense for several years. The varsity experience factor is the only thing I worry about. If he can avoid turning the ball over, and trust the players around him to do their job, I'm pretty sure the offense will be fine.

Aesculus gilmus
09-10-2015, 03:08 PM
I think one reason Spears is wanting to get back in action so fast is that there's a good chance that Aaron Brown will wow us Friday night. From what I've seen, he has as much talent as cousin Derek McKenzie.

waterboy
09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
I think one reason Spears is wanting to get back in action so fast is that there's a good chance that Aaron Brown will wow us Friday night. From what I've seen, he has as much talent as cousin Derek McKenzie.

I couldn't remember his name, but I remember everybody calls him "Poppee". Jeff Traylor was really high on Aaron even when he was in junior high. I would bet money that he would've already given Poppee playing time.

movethechain
09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Who is the kid named Bam-Bam? Sorry I will miss this game. Sounds like it could be highly entertaining.

Aesculus gilmus
09-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Bam-Bam Stone (who is obviously Barney and Betty Rubble's boy) is usually playing nose guard (or nose tackle, if you prefer). He's No. 98 and a junior.

movethechain
09-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Bam-Bam Stone (who is obviously Barney and Betty Rubble's boy) is usually playing nose guard (or nose tackle, if you prefer). He's No. 98 and a junior.

Thanks. I remembered seeing the name in the paper, but didn't remember the number to connect the name to a position.

Eagleborn
09-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Tatum's missing several starters as well. Not the six that was missing on defense in week one though. Thank gosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckeyebob
09-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Not cousin...1/2 brother...Mark Brown is daddy of both

buckeyebob
09-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Who is the kid named Bam-Bam? Sorry I will miss this game. Sounds like it could be highly entertaining.

Bam Bam Stone, brother to Sugar Stone...dad still drives a 1961 VW with Peace, Love, Dove on the side...no worse that me naming my eldest Bugger.

buckeyebob
09-11-2015, 08:13 AM
I couldn't remember his name, but I remember everybody calls him "Poppee". Jeff Traylor was really high on Aaron even when he was in junior high. I would bet money that he would've already given Poppee playing time.

I have seen it written "Poppy"...he says he is so ready to step in and lead the Bux...moment he has been waiting for...been watching him for years...I say we see the awakening of "Stump Jr."...sorry Sparrows...this may be an unleashing of a perfect storm.

lostaussie
09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
I have seen it written "Poppy"...he says he is so ready to step in and lead the Bux...moment he has been waiting for...been watching him for years...I say we see the awakening of "Stump Jr."...sorry Sparrows...this may be an unleashing of a perfect storm.

I hope your right Bob. I'm excited to see him play. Not that I don't like Zac.......but we have been missing something. We look like we are stuck in neutral. Bucks need drop it in drive and let the hammer down!!

waterboy
09-11-2015, 08:51 AM
I heard that Rice has been taking snaps in practice, even though he's got bronchitis. Most seem to think he will start tonight.

movethechain
09-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Bam Bam Stone, brother to Sugar Stone...dad still drives a 1961 VW with Peace, Love, Dove on the side...no worse that me naming my eldest Bugger.

You want to talk about an athelete? Have you guys seen Sugar throw a football. I swear she can chunk it 50 yards with a tight spiral. If we need another backup QB, I say put her in. She definitely don't "throw like a girl".

buckeyebob
09-11-2015, 04:57 PM
You want to talk about an athelete? Have you guys seen Sugar throw a football. I swear she can chunk it 50 yards with a tight spiral. If we need another backup QB, I say put her in. She definitely don't "throw like a girl".

She has moved to Odessa...full scholarship in Dance...She is a great athlete.

movethechain
09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
She has moved to Odessa...full scholarship in Dance...She is a great athlete.

It is very hard for me to stay current, now that I am having to attend the Spring Hill games the next 2 years. I seem to remember another 1/2 brother (McLane Carter) leading the Bux to a State Championship last year. His 1/2 brother was of course G.J.Kinne. Jordan Traylor also did quite well, as a backup QB, when starter Luke Turner went down with injury several years ago. I like Gilmer's chances with a backup QB. Should be a great game and one I'm gonna have to watch on TV replay in the morning.

Aesculus gilmus
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Halftime: Gilmer 13, Tatum 0

lostaussie
09-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Shutout in dominating fashion.
Gilmer 23-0

lostaussie
09-11-2015, 11:05 PM
That was as fine a defensive effort as I have ever seen the Buckeyes give. Our defensive line owned the Eagles tonight.

Dawgs
09-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Yall won't dominate us up front. We are coming!

buckeyebob
09-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Hats off to Brett Rice, Junior back-up QB...excellent job...total command & great leadership...this is a Buckeye Quarterback.

buckeyebob
09-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Yall won't dominate us up front. We are coming!

The same stuff from the Pups last year...29-0 at the end of 1st Qtr...Bux had one offensive play for 13 seconds...don't see any change this year.

Dawgs
09-12-2015, 09:47 AM
The same stuff from the Pups last year...29-0 at the end of 1st Qtr...Bux had one offensive play for 13 seconds...don't see any change this year.

Better go back and look at last years talk. Everybody knew the Bucks were going to blow Carthage out. That was the best team Gilmer had in a long time, and the worst team Carthage had in a long time. That wasn't a good recipe for the Dawgs. We were just hoping to keep it close, and couldn't. You better continue bragging over last years spanking cause that's all you will have after week 5. I know you like to mess around, and have fun but if you believe it's going to be anywhere close to last year you have another thing coming. Carthage is going to dominate the Bucks up front, with the exception of Boyd. We will scheme around him and you guys will be in trouble. If Tatum and PT held yall to 23 and 35 then I would be surprised if the Bucks put up 20 on the Dawgs. It's coming. Series tied 2-2 right now. Let's see who wins the best of 5. Carthage is putting up 500 - 600 yards of offense on schools 2-3 times our enrollment. As of right now I don't think the Bucks will stay within 2 scores. Good thing is we will find out in 2 weeks. I will be there to take my crow if I am wrong.

lostaussie
09-12-2015, 11:02 AM
You keep talking about how you are going to dominate the line play. Carthage lost to Hallsville who was beaten last night by Athens. You barely beat an average Lindale team and squeaked by Nac last night who was probably your best competition. Now I would be foolish to think this game will be anywhere close to last years result. If you think Boyd is all we have on that d-line you are in for a BIG surprise. We are improving, y'all are too. See you in two weeks for that 2 score whooping you going to put on us!!! Lol

chaingang
09-12-2015, 11:25 AM
It is very hard for me to stay current, now that I am having to attend the Spring Hill games the next 2 years. I seem to remember another 1/2 brother (McLane Carter) leading the Bux to a State Championship last year. His 1/2 brother was of course G.J.Kinne. Jordan Traylor also did quite well, as a backup QB, when starter Luke Turner went down with injury several years ago. I like Gilmer's chances with a backup QB. Should be a great game and one I'm gonna have to watch on TV replay in the morning.

Didn't realize Carter was Kinne's brother. Is Carter playing college ball? I was impressed with him against us last year.

lostaussie
09-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes. I think he is at Incarnate Word. Hopefully I got that right.

Dawgs
09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
You keep talking about how you are going to dominate the line play. Carthage lost to Hallsville who was beaten last night by Athens. You barely beat an average Lindale team and squeaked by Nac last night who was probably your best competition. Now I would be foolish to think this game will be anywhere close to last years result. If you think Boyd is all we have on that d-line you are in for a BIG surprise. We are improving, y'all are too. See you in two weeks for that 2 score whooping you going to put on us!!! Lol
Look forward to it. Yall might not score 14 points! Tatum held yall to 23! Yall are about to get schooled at Lobo! Keep on thinking about Hallsville, Lindale, and Nac. You know Surratt will pull out all the artillery for Gilmer, going into a bye week before getting district play started. We haven't even started playing ball yet...You know Carthage better than that. In all seriousness it's going to be a heck of a HS game between 2 of ETX best in a great atmosphere on the big stage. I can't wait.

Edit: Only thing that worries me is this team still hasn't learned how to close out teams. If you are going to beat the elite teams you have to finish the job. We let all 3 teams we have played off the hook. Hallsville was just a sloppy game. You double a team up on 1st downs and out gain them 600 - 300, and get beat that's just plain pathetic. Up 8 with 2 minutes left and get beat? That doesn't happen to championship teams. The other 2 games the old Carthage teams would've put them away when up 2-3 scores. We can't play Gilmer like that and expect to win. If we get up, we have to put yall away or we will be beat.

cowboyandchrist
09-13-2015, 10:26 AM

You should know by now how coach S works. What he does in non district games is part of the master plan. The game with Gilmer will be a great game, but it is all about prepping for district. You put down all three teams that Carthage has played so far and I am not sure if this years Gilmer team could beat any of the three. All three have twice the enrollment of Carthage and run fresh people in all game long. Carthage is looking a lot like the 2010 team to me. They are very young, but are getting better every game. The people I have talked to from Gilmer tell me the Buckeyes have no passing game, but can run the ball very well. This years Carthage Dawgs do both very well and are getting better each game. We are dropping 1 to 2 touch downs passes a game, but are making the plays when needed. The defense is the big surprise so far, they will knock your head off and gang tackle very well. I always pull for Gilmer except when they play the Dawgs or Tatum. You did not do very well against a Tatum team that looks terrible. They have the players to be a good DII playoff team, but for what ever the reason they are making the same mistakes in every game. This Dawg team is big, fast, and strong. They are right where they should be this time of the year. I believe this Dawg team will make a strong run for the DI championship. Gilmer should be the best team Carthage plays so far and I believe they will be ready and want some payback for the lop sided loss from last year. You did not see the Lindale or Nac games, they are solid 5A teams. Hallsville game was a different story, the Dawgs put 600 yards on them and missed three extra points. In over time went for two and failed. It was a smart thing for coach S to do. It was the first game, all players were tired, and I agree with the coach. Go for the win and end the game. The good thing about that game was 600 yards of offense and lots of film to study for the players and coaches. Gilmer will make the Dawgs better and I believe the Dawgs will win by two scores, but I am a Dawg homer. The storm is coming, clouds are forming in the East. The storm will begin when district starts. God Bless all players, coaches, and fans.

lostaussie
09-13-2015, 10:45 AM
We did not do very well against Tatum? I actually quit reading your blabber after that sentence. We had 3 TDs called back and dropped another wide open. All I heard before the season from you was Tatum this Carthage that. Combined record of 2-3 and it will be worse after LE thumps Tatum next week. For the record LE is probably better or at least as good as NAC and better than Lindale or Hallsville. I'm done about Carthage for now. Unfortunately we have a bye this week with Dangerfield who we should honestly drop from our schedule.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

cowboyandchrist
09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
We did not do very well against Tatum? I actually quit reading your blabber after that sentence. We had 3 TDs called back and dropped another wide open. All I heard before the season from you was Tatum this Carthage that. Combined record of 2-3 and it will be worse after LE thumps Tatum next week. For the record LE is probably better or at least as good as NAC and better than Lindale or Hallsville. I'm done about Carthage for now. Unfortunately we have a bye this week with Dangerfield who we should honestly drop from our schedule.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say after the game. You know what is coming. I have not said anything about Tatum this year, they are very talented, but are not playing like IT. I have not watched Tatum play, only what my friends that have watched them play tell me. I know how good the Dawgs are and so will you before long.

lostaussie
09-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Its OK. You've got us shaking in boots now. LMAO

buckeyebob
09-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Look forward to it. Yall might not score 14 points! Tatum held yall to 23! Yall are about to get schooled at Lobo! Keep on thinking about Hallsville, Lindale, and Nac. You know Surratt will pull out all the artillery for Gilmer, going into a bye week before getting district play started. We haven't even started playing ball yet...You know Carthage better than that. In all seriousness it's going to be a heck of a HS game between 2 of ETX best in a great atmosphere on the big stage. I can't wait.

Edit: Only thing that worries me is this team still hasn't learned how to close out teams. If you are going to beat the elite teams you have to finish the job. We let all 3 teams we have played off the hook. Hallsville was just a sloppy game. You double a team up on 1st downs and out gain them 600 - 300, and get beat that's just plain pathetic. Up 8 with 2 minutes left and get beat? That doesn't happen to championship teams. The other 2 games the old Carthage teams would've put them away when up 2-3 scores. We can't play Gilmer like that and expect to win. If we get up, we have to put yall away or we will be beat.

FYI...Tatum did not hold us to 23...the Buckeyes did...real stupid mistakes cost

lostaussie
09-13-2015, 05:00 PM
FYI...Tatum did not hold us to 23...the Buckeyes did...real stupid mistakes cost

Everyone expects us to win by 60 Bob. We are not who we were last year. I'll take 23-0 every week!!! And tell me who is going to knock us out in RII. I don't see it. We are a different looking team.......but its still got championship capabilities.

Aesculus gilmus
09-13-2015, 08:23 PM
The Carthage game ought to be a great one. If Gilmer does have a passing game that night, it will be a competitive game. If not, it could get ugly. I could be wrong, though. We had 85 yards of passing against Liberty-Eylau and still won (only because of LE's horrible kicking game, though).

WOS1
09-14-2015, 09:34 AM

Awe man I hate to hear this. Prayers for a speedy recovery. We lost one of our most dominant lineman to a condition called Rhyabdomyalysis (ya me neither). He can never play again. Was on varsity last yesr as a Soph.

waterboy
09-14-2015, 10:00 AM
The good news is Zac will be alright. He was on the sidelines walking around during the game. His backup, Brett Rice, did a phenomenal job. I actually think he did better than Zac has done in his first couple of games. We are being absolutely killed by penalties, however. The drive killing penalties are definitely going to have to be cleaned up to get to the next level. We also had a couple of dropped TD passes, three TDs called back, etc. Tatum was completely out of sorts in this game, too. This game was really ugly. We will be getting Lucas Garrett, one of our best O-linemen, back in a couple more weeks. His backup had numerous false starts in this game. Poor guy just couldn't get his nerves under control. We'll take the win, though... :D

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Its OK. You've got us shaking in boots now. LMAO

WOW! The Dogs are barking after that narrow Nac win...

waterboy
09-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Yep, they do every year when we play 'em. They would love nothing more than to spank us after we spanked them last year. This is a new year, however, and if they are going to get revenge they better do it this year. The game is nearly two weeks away. We have to just get better. Cleaning up the penalties, improve our passing game, and improve our secondary play is what will get us where we need to be. Carthage has the ability to expose our weaknesses if we don't improve. We'll see. Right now, though, it's Daingerfield we're game planning against. Carthage will likely have their hands full again this week with Gladewater.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Yep, they do every year when we play 'em. They would love nothing more than to spank us after we spanked them last year. This is a new year, however, and if they are going to get revenge they better do it this year. The game is nearly two weeks away. We have to just get better. Cleaning up the penalties, improve our passing game, and improve our secondary play is what will get us where we need to be. Carthage has the ability to expose our weaknesses if we don't improve. We'll see. Right now, though, it's Daingerfield we're game planning against. Carthage will likely have their hands full again this week with Gladewater.

Yup, they beat Gladewater then I'll believe they are back, but not real impressed with what they've done so far. But, that's just looking at scores and opponents. Hard to imagine that defense being as good as they are saying with the points they've given up.

Dawgs
09-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Naw, I just like to give these Gilmer guys heck. They know we are there only competition in ETX, as far as the premier program. Gilmer is one of the best regular season teams period. Not saying they aren't good in the playoffs, but they are just bad to the bone early every year. Execute too well for Carthage early. Carthage will win very few games against Gilmer if we continue this series before district starts every year. Late in district and the playoffs I would take Carthage most years (maybe 60% of the time). This year is one of those years, where I think early we have come far enough, and have a favorable advantage on athletes to overcome Gilmer's execution. I obviously don't think it will be any type of blowout, but I am sticking by my 2 score prediction. If they were going to beat us I would think it would be thru the air, where Gilmer is yet to prove they can beat teams that way. But ain't nobody barking after beating Nac. The problem with this Carthage team is the don't finish. Being up on Nac 28-11, we let them back in it. Being up on Lindale 17-0 and let them back in it. Gilmer ain't either of those teams. You do that with them, you're a beat A$$. Anyway, we got a game with GW this week. We will see where we are against average ETX 4a competition. See you Gilmer guys on a thread in 6 of 7 days.

waterboy
09-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Yup, they beat Gladewater then I'll believe they are back, but not real impressed with what they've done so far. But, that's just looking at scores and opponents. Hard to imagine that defense being as good as they are saying with the points they've given up.

Yes, they were all 5A schools, but not "good" 5A teams. However, Coach Surratt doesn't place much emphasis on pre-district games. He never has, but I have a feeling he will be placing a whole lotta emphasis on the next two weeks against good 4A teams.

Dawgs
09-14-2015, 10:29 AM

I agree. I love playing Gilmer. There is nothing more we like to do, than to get a chance to beat the 2nd best program in ETX :taunt:. If what you say is true about "we better do it this year", you better get you a program when you come to Lobo. Carthage is about to be loaded the next 3 years. Your right we have a tough matchup this week. We will see where we are at stopping the run against GW.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Naw, I just like to give these Gilmer guys heck. They know we are there only competition in ETX, as far as the premier program. Gilmer is one of the best regular season teams period. Not saying they aren't good in the playoffs, but they are just bad to the bone early every year. Execute too well for Carthage early. Carthage will win very few games against Gilmer if we continue this series before district starts every year. Late in district and the playoffs I would take Carthage most years (maybe 60% of the time). This year is one of those years, where I think early we have come far enough, and have a favorable advantage on athletes to overcome Gilmer's execution. I obviously don't think it will be any type of blowout, but I am sticking by my 2 score prediction. If they were going to beat us I would think it would be thru the air, where Gilmer is yet to prove they can beat teams that way. But ain't nobody barking after beating Nac. The problem with this Carthage team is the don't finish. Being up on Nac 28-11, we let them back in it. Being up on Lindale 17-0 and let them back in it. Gilmer ain't either of those teams. You do that with them, you're a beat A$$. Anyway, we got a game with GW this week. We will see where we are against average ETX 4a competition. See you Gilmer guys on a thread in 6 of 7 days.

Just from a coaching standpoint, it sounds like you guys have conditioning issues, maybe? Letting teams back into games late sounds like your starters maybe running out of gas. Also, can explain why that problem goes away as the season progresses because the kids start getting into game shape. That and better execution. Just a guess, for what it matters (which is none).

Dawgs
09-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Surratt has put this defense in some bad situations. He would be the first to say that. He know he has that luxury. He has freaking gone for it on 4th down from our 20-30 yard line 10 times!! Its like he is playing a video game. But you know what that does? That teaches his team to play without fear. Like when we went for 4th and 10 from our own 20 a couple of years ago? (maybe that's a little exaggerated, but that's my memory...LOL) You remember that? You should look at the box scores, it will tell a different story.

Dawgs
09-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Just from a coaching standpoint, it sounds like you guys have conditioning issues, maybe? Letting teams back into games late sounds like your starters maybe running out of gas. Also, can explain why that problem goes away as the season progresses because the kids start getting into game shape. That and better execution. Just a guess, for what it matters (which is none).

Go check the enrollment numbers. When your playing schools with 1500 - 2000 kids that happens (which Lindale is not that big). But yes I would agree there are some conditioning issues. That is somehting that will get better as the season progresses.

WOS1
09-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Surratt has put this defense in some bad situations. He would be the first to say that. He know he has that luxury. He has freaking gone for it on 4th down from our 20-30 yard line 10 times!! Its like he is playing a video game. But you know what that does? That teaches his team to play without fear. Like when we went for 4th and 10 from our own 20 a couple of years ago? (maybe that's a little exaggerated, but that's my memory...LOL) You remember that? You should look at the box scores, it will tell a different story.

Oh yes how painfully do I remember that... And it was from your own 10, not 20. We stop that one play and the game is, very likely, ours. And it wasn't like it was 4th and 2 or 3, it was 4th and 9... I often wonder this, tho. If there weren't a 30 MPH wind blowing in your face there, would he punt it?

Dawgs
09-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Yes, they were all 5A schools, but not "good" 5A teams. However, Coach Surratt doesn't place much emphasis on pre-district games. He never has, but I have a feeling he will be placing a whole lotta emphasis on the next two weeks against good 4A teams.
I can agree with that. I would say our competition has been average. Maybe 2 of those teams can get a 4th place finish in really tough districts. It's not about the opponent. It's about the progression from one week to the next.