PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on this weeks Region I Games

Matthew328
11-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Division I

Brownfield (4-7) vs Snyder (7-4)
Brownfield shocked Borger with a late TD and the Cubs have played very well as of late..but Snyder may have pulled an even bigger shocker..not by beating Monahans but by DOMINATING them..I think Snyder has a bit too much for the scrappy Cubs..Snyder by 21

Abilene Wylie (7-4) vs Everman (9-2)
Wylie seems to be peaking at just the right time..funny though, Everman appears to be doing the same..can Wylie's young QB stand up to the pressure that the speedy Everman D will put on him? If he can Wylie has a shot to end Everman's 11 game playoff winning streak...Wylie was the last team to beat Everman in a playoff game..in 2000...I think Everman wins a tight one..their offense is coming around at just the right time..Everman by 10

Division II

Perryton (8-3) vs Sweetwater (8-2)
The Rangers haven't seen a team like the Mustangs all year and I am afraid Sweetwater may hand it to Perryton this week.....Sweetwater by 27

Vernon (8-2) vs Decatur (10-1)
Maybe the best game in Div II Region I....can Decatur slow down VHS' punishing ground game? And can Vernon slow down the air show of the Eagles?? Ball-control is the key for the Lions in this one..if they can control the tempo of the game..Decatur may be in trouble..but that is easier said than done..Decatur by 14

Littlefield (9-2) vs Merkel (8-3)
Battle of surprise teams here..Merkel really impressed me by beating Greenwood..Littlefield isn't talked about much and a win would catch some eyes...but I think the Badgers are too strong..Merkel by 17

Iowa Park (7-4) vs Kennedale (10-1)
Can IP handle the speed of the Wildcats? If they slow down Harper, Brooks and Morris and Co. they could be the Ballinger of 2003..but I thnk Kennedale has learned from their playoff slip ups and they are out to prove something...Kennedale by 24

Chief Woodman
11-16-2003, 06:51 PM
WOW. Good analysis Matt. Decatur seems to be peaking as well...the first team "D" has only givien up 1 TD in the last 10 quarters. The 1st string "O" scored TD's on 7 of it's first 8 series last week.

Matthew328
11-17-2003, 10:28 AM
ttt

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Matthew:

I remember that you didn't even pick my Vernon boys to make the playoffs! But I think you may be right on this one. It will be a tough game for Vernon and hopefully they will not have to get into a shootout with the Eagles and can make a game of it.

Also IP is a very good football team. I think you are selling them short against Kennedale. It would not suprise me at all if IP won.

Matthew328
11-17-2003, 10:45 AM
IP is a scrappy bunch...but I think Kennedale just has too much speed at the skill positions for the Hawks to contain...

as for Vernon I have learned my lesson by selling them short..if I was Decatur I'd be taking the Lions very seriously!

heck
11-17-2003, 12:03 PM
My two cents worth:

Brownfield/Snyder: D1 seems to be the easier of the two routes to a regional championship this year. Snyder will dominate Brownfield with their running game. Snyder by 28...

Wylie/Everman: Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago we were wondering where Wylie would finish in their district? I think Wylie has some come on but it turns out that their district was weaker than I thought. Ballinger had internal problems and Brady just didn't have the athletes. But Everman isn't as dominating as I thought they would be either. I'll still take Everman. Everman by a touch.

Perryton/Sweetwater: Defense should be the key here as Sweetwater has been able to put up some goose eggs lately. I don't think that District 1 or 2 has played any really great teams this season and that should be to the Mustangs benefit. Since I never predict my own teams scores, I'll just say good luck to the STANGS! And thanks to Rangermom for coming on board.

Vernon/Decatur: I hope this is a good game. I saw Vernon beat Brady Sat. and wasn't too impressed with Vernon's speed, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Vernon easily dominated the line of scrimmage and I expect that could lead to some long time-consuming drives. I hear (on this board) about Vernon's secondary but if you don't rush the QB it won't matter. I give this one to Decatur based on the lack of defensive pressure. Decatur by 8

Littlefield/Merkel: Also got to see this game and a good game it was. Greenwood's defense didn't impress me much and Merkel's new offense did. Still, Merkel had some help (injuries) but that doesn't take away from the fact that they outplayed Greenwood for most of the game. Merkel has a hard game out of the way. They won't have any problems with Littlefield. Merkel by 27

IP/Kennedale: Have to admit not knowing much about IP or Kennedale. Except to say the Kennedale has been there and IP hasn't (in a while). I expect Kennedale to move the ball better than IP so I'll give the nod to them. Kennedale by 21

Matthew328
11-17-2003, 12:11 PM
LOL heck reminds me of my dad...saying Everman isnt as dominating..56-7 is pretty dominant if you ask me..LOL During the 3rd quarter my dad called and asked the score..and I say 28-7 Everman..and my dad goes "Gee that's close" I was like are you kidding me? Our fans have really become spoiled..LOL

heck
11-17-2003, 12:33 PM
I guess my point is Matthew is that Everman has had stronger teams in the past. You have to admit that playing in an 8 team district with only Kennedale as your only challenger (year in and year out), you will see some high scoring games. Which in your words means domintating, I guess.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2003, 12:38 PM
You both make good points. It would be nice when you beat some one 34-0 to be called a close game! But would be hard for the kids with all that pressure to beat teams likewise scoring 60 + points per game.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

CatsDen
11-17-2003, 01:03 PM
heck:
I guess my point is Matthew is that Everman has had stronger teams in the past. You have to admit that playing in an 8 team district with only Kennedale as your only challenger (year in and year out), you will see some high scoring games. Which in your words means domintating, I guess.I agree that Everman and Kennedale are the top 2 in the District 8-3A, but Venus and Glen Rose represented the District very well. Glen Rose finished the season at 7-3, but did not make the playoffs due to the head-to-head loss to Venus (who finished 6-5-including the playoff loss to Deactur). I hope that no one takes away from the playoff runs accomplished by Everman or Kennedale while thinking that the rest of the District were push-overs.