PDA

View Full Version : La Grange at La Vernia

Leopardfan201
09-05-2015, 11:33 AM
A good test for LG so early in the season...can the bears stop jk Dobbins and the rest of the leps...maybe or maybe not..so give me LG by 14

PurplePop
09-05-2015, 05:47 PM
A good test for LG so early in the season...can the bears stop jk Dobbins and the rest of the leps...maybe or maybe not..so give me LG by 14

LV lost almost everybody from last year, and I don't think anyone can stop Dobbins. LG by 14 sounds about right. Probably more.

Leopardfan201
09-05-2015, 05:57 PM
LG lost most of thr team also from last year..but have reloaded instead of rebuilding..most of our team is sophomores and juniors...that's the scary thing about it..they all return next year

solocam
09-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Leps by 24

Leopardfan201
09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
LG won't be tested till we travel to giddings in October

Pudlugger
09-06-2015, 08:56 AM
LV will test theLG defence. Do not take the bears lightly. They will be ready for the Leps playing at home and coming off a disappointing loss to Calhoun.

LV_Bearfan
09-06-2015, 09:32 AM
LV will test theLG defence. Do not take the bears lightly. They will be ready for the Leps playing at home and coming off a disappointing loss to Calhoun.

LV had some serious problems defending Calhoun's offense, but that is nothing new. The D is still good, and the O is getting better, but they haven't put both together consistently yet. Hopefully, they continue to improve.

Pudlugger
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Well my son's wedding was a great success with everyone having a wonderful time. I'm now back in town and looking forward to this game. LG has had LV's number since they won the second round playoff game in 2000 by the score of 28-27 to go on to win the SC game against Forney. In 2001 and 2014 they won again. Now this is the 4th matchup in recent memory. I think LV will be very tough to beat Friday in their stadium. After a tough lose to Calhoun the Bears will be in no mood to lose two straight games and the Leps had a soft outing last week against a struggling Columbus squad. The Lep D must step up again and hold the Bears to 21 or under and the Lep Offense will deliver the win. I don't think LV can hold the Leps to less than 28 points. I see a close game with the Leps moving ahead for keeps in the 4th winning by 14.

Leopardfan201
09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
I dnt see a close game if LG playes like they have the last 2 games

Pudlugger
09-07-2015, 10:04 PM
I dnt see a close game if LG playes like they have the last 2 games

I missed the play by play for the Columbus game. How did Dobbins do? And the passing game was? All I know is that the Leps kept scoring every possession in the first half. How healthy are the Leps now? We had a couple of players out in the LH game and our mlb got an ankle injury are they back now? I've been out of the loop Leopardfan.

Leopardfan201
09-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Dobbins only played a half finished with 161 yards 3 touchdowns. ..we worked on our passing game..improving in both passing and defense...our defense won us that game

Leopardfan201
09-07-2015, 10:24 PM
From what it seems..this LG team looks better than last year's team especially the defense

PurplePop
09-07-2015, 10:29 PM
I went to the LG-Columbus game because Navarro's game was cancelled and my sons wanted to see Dobbins. Here's my scouting report on the Leopards for what it's worth.
Defense: LG's D is small but scrappy and fast. Very good MLB-Garza. Fast OLB's shut down outside runs pretty well. I think teams with big OL's and big RB's can run on them and put up 28+ on them.
Offense: LG has an average but disciplined passing QB #15 and a good WR-Cabrera #7. And, then there is #22. He simply scores. He can turn on a dime, burst, glide, and, of course, outrun EVERYONE. He's not the running over kind, but is very strong and can shed tackles. La Grange has enough size on the O-line to give him all the room he needs. JK will get them at least 4 TD's a game. The question is whether the rest of the O can deliver a couple more. It probably can. So, unless LG turns it over, or you have a really stout D, you need to be able to score 40+ to beat them.
We loved watching JK. It was a shame he only played the 1st half.
PS: JK has a pretty good arm, too. Not fair at all!

Leopardfan201
09-07-2015, 10:38 PM
We appreciate u coming out too watch our fine football team...yes Dobbins is a special player..and our team is sophomores and juniors so they all return next year..good luck on ya season...Navarro seems dam good this year

PurplePop
09-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Thx. We sat on LG side. Ya'll brought a big crowd. Nice, classy fans. Of course, you were drubbing Columbus pretty good.

Pudlugger
09-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Dobbins only played a half finished with 161 yards 3 touchdowns. ..we worked on our passing game..improving in both passing and defense...our defense won us that game

Seems to me the offense had something to do with the win putting up 46 points.

Pudlugger
09-08-2015, 12:01 AM
I went to the LG-Columbus game because Navarro's game was cancelled and my sons wanted to see Dobbins. Here's my scouting report on the Leopards for what it's worth.
Defense: LG's D is small but scrappy and fast. Very good MLB-Garza. Fast OLB's shut down outside runs pretty well. I think teams with big OL's and big RB's can run on them and put up 28+ on them.
Offense: LG has an average but disciplined passing QB #15 and a good WR-Cabrera #7. And, then there is #22. He simply scores. He can turn on a dime, burst, glide, and, of course, outrun EVERYONE. He's not the running over kind, but is very strong and can shed tackles. La Grange has enough size on the O-line to give him all the room he needs. JK will get them at least 4 TD's a game. The question is whether the rest of the O can deliver a couple more. It probably can. So, unless LG turns it over, or you have a really stout D, you need to be able to score 40+ to beat them.
We loved watching JK. It was a shame he only played the 1st half.
PS: JK has a pretty good arm, too. Not fair at all!

Pretty fair assessment of the team imo. You should have mentioned #9 Ramirez though. He is an excellent wr and in addition to his ability to get open and catch the football he is a key blocker on the end sweeps freeing Dobbins to make the big plays. #7 also does this well. Cabrera put a huge block on the LH CB on the 75 yard Dobbins jaunt in that game. It is in the highlights on MaxPreps if you want to see it. Leopardfan is correct in that this team is young and will be returning many starters next season. Right now they need to keep improving on the fundamentals and get tuned for district. Giddings will be their biggest hurdle on the road to the district championship.

WOS87
09-08-2015, 03:49 AM
This shouldn't be a test at all.. the La La La's from last year are only La Grange this year

PurplePop
09-08-2015, 06:39 AM
PL: Good point about #9. I thought they would throw to him more but it was one of those games where they were quickly up a bunch without really running that many plays. And, they have a real big TE who I assume can catch.
WOS: Don't get to cocky. Does 25-6 ring a bell? Ya'll should have beat Gilmer last year.

Leopardfan201
09-08-2015, 07:10 AM
I heard it supposed to rain Friday..I'm glad LV has turf..then again u get jk Dobbins already fast running on tyrf...could be a long night for LV

chaingang
09-08-2015, 09:16 AM
PL: Good point about #9. I thought they would throw to him more but it was one of those games where they were quickly up a bunch without really running that many plays. And, they have a real big TE who I assume can catch.
WOS: Don't get to cocky. Does 25-6 ring a bell? Ya'll should have beat Gilmer last year.

Im confused, what is 25-6 supposed to represent for WOS?

PurplePop
09-08-2015, 09:21 AM
As I recall, WO-S was up 25-6 over Gilmer in State Championship at half. Weak effort on my part to try to make point not to get complacent or overconfident.

chaingang
09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
As I recall, WO-S was up 25-6 over Gilmer in State Championship at half. Weak effort on my part to try to make point not to get complacent or overconfident.

Oh, ok. I got you. No shame in losing to a better team which Gilmer was. We just ran out of gas in the second half. That right there is HUGE. WOS can normally play 6 quarters if needed. Thats a shout out to Gilmer and their game plan. Yes, we made mistakes and had a bad call on a TD return beofre half but even if you give us those back, I say Gilmer still wins by 6 points. Ill take a loss in an SC game versus losing in the early playoffs any day. We at WOS arent cocky at all. Exact opposite. Weve been on top since our school started and walk with a big stick no need to tell you when we just show it.

PurplePop
09-08-2015, 09:35 AM
I just realized I misunderstood the La La reference. One of the La's is LV. I thought the comment was directed at LG only. Really sorry.

PurplePop
09-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Referring to an earlier WOS87 post. I'm a knucklehead. Sorry again.

chaingang
09-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Referring to an earlier WOS87 post. I'm a knucklehead. Sorry again.

Yeah, the La La's from last year were LaMarque, LaGrange and La Vernia. LM has fallen waaayyy off, I dont know much about LaVernia , and LG seems to be better than last year.

Snotbubbles
09-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Should be a better game than the drumming last week to Calhoun, 46-29. Bears will match up better. And, will help knowing who for certain will be getting the ball. Think LG stud has accounted for 90% of their offense thus far. Bears in a thriller, 30-28. Would not be surprised to see score flipped either. I will be surprised to see a Calhoun type result though. Dobbins is good and a reason he is their offense.

Rocket Man
09-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Unless La Grange plays very poorly, I think they will win by 2+ TD's.

d0tc0m
09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
LG wins this one running away. I don't think LV has enough defense to stop Dobbins. They won't be the only team saying that this year, though.

1st and goal
09-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Can LG and Giddings represent their district with W's again?

I think so. LG by 21 unless they take out Dobbins and LV can climb back within 10 points.

Pudlugger
09-10-2015, 06:59 AM
We had a couple of players out with injuries any word on their status for this game?

Leopardfan201
09-10-2015, 07:47 AM
No.. we will see tommorrow night if they play

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2015, 11:28 AM
LV is still putting it together. They are more explosive but less consistent to this point on offense, and the D will click at some point. They held Calhoun to short plays, but just couldn't stop the long time consuming drives with that triple option. They should hold up pretty well against LG like bubbles said. Team speed is good. It's a slightly better matchup for LV this week partly because of scheme. I still think LG wins in the end.

HEMOTOXIC
09-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Leps

Pudlugger
09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
I looked at the LV stadium on Google Earth. It looks pretty nice. Which side is visitors and where do you park? Is the seating conventional bench seating or stadium seats /backrest type seating? I have a stadium seat that is really cool it seats two people is padded and has arm rests! It folds up flat with a shoulder strapfor carrying it around. My daughter gave it to me for Father's Day. I need to know if I can use it in this stadium.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I looked at the LV stadium on Google Earth. It looks pretty nice. Which side is visitors and where do you park? Is the seating conventional bench seating or stadium seats /backrest type seating? I have a stadium seat that is really cool it seats two people is padded and has arm rests! It folds up flat with a shoulder strapfor carrying it around. My daughter gave it to me for Father's Day. I need to know if I can use it in this stadium.

Bench seating. You can use it as long as you share. Visitor side is closest to FM 775.

Pudlugger
09-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Bench seating. You can use it as long as you share. Visitor side is closest to FM 775.

Thanks, I share it with Mrs. P. Looks like real good parking near the visitors side too. I am really excited about this game. My son played against LV in the Alamodome in 2001. He was an offensive tackle then and only a sophomore. The Leps won that game then played Wimberley the next weeek in the Alamodome winning that game and on to the semifinal against Giddings in the old Astrodome in Houston. They won that game and went to State in Waco ISD Stadium to lose 14-11 to Commerce.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Park in any of the lots on that side and you'll be fine.

Leopardfan201
09-10-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm ready for this game..come on LG...jk Dobbins is all his way

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks, I share it with Mrs. P. Looks like real good parking near the visitors side too. I am really excited about this game. My son played against LV in the Alamodome in 2001. He was an offensive tackle then and only a sophomore. The Leps won that game then played Wimberley the next weeek in the Alamodome winning that game and on to the semifinal against Giddings in the old Astrodome in Houston. They won that game and went to State in Waco ISD Stadium to lose 14-11 to Commerce.

Yep. The Bears were not quite the same team in that Alamodome rematch. Missed our golden opportunity the year before.

Pudlugger
09-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Game day finally. Leopards have an opportunity to get a big win on the road against a quality opponent tonight. I expect we will see a few new pages from the Lep offensive play book. The Lep D will need to contain the Bear running attack early and force LV to go to the air. I would not be surprised if our D gets a pick 6 again this week. Lep D is playing excellent football now. Go Leps!

Leopardfan201
09-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Amen too that Pud..this team is coming together sooner than I thought..and the scary thing this team is young...anyways il be driving from Houston too watch my leps..

regaleagle
09-11-2015, 12:34 PM
I will be paying close attention to the scoring in this game tonite. Methinks it will be a very close game and that the LV D will defense will play well. I look for about a one touchdown difference in this game.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Good game so far..,

Pudlugger
09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
I will be paying close attention to the scoring in this game tonite. Methinks it will be a very close game and that the LV D will defense will play well. I look for about a one touchdown difference in this game.

Reagle for the first half I thought your assessment was correct but our defense took control of the game and gave our offense the opportunity to put up another 14 points. Overall I'd say it was a very well fought match with LV defense giving our offense a real challenge but in the end they could not get the key stops necessary for their grind it out style offense to get back in the game. They had several excellent plays that caught our defense flat footed. Notably a perfectly executed screen play from their 15 on 3rd down that their big TE took all the way to the lep 2 before our DB caught him from behind. That led to their only TD a couple of plays latter. Another was a Johnny Football style scramble by their Qb for 55 yards to our 15 but penalties and a big sack subsequently killed that drive. Overall LV was just as advertised, big physical lines and well executed playmakers with an athletic little RB, big TE and cool handed QB. Dobbins got his 200 yards and could have gotten more but our coaches tried to mix it up on the exchanges to give others a shot at the endzone. Unfortunately that led to a turnover in LV redzone and in another drive a penalty on 4th and goal to go at the 5 yard line followed by a failed FG from the 10 in the 4th. hopefully our offense will get a little better greased and run smoother in the games to come. LV will get back on their winning track from here on and make some noise in their regional playoff run. The leps will get ready for a scrappy young Yoakum team coming into Lep stadium Friday to spoil our record of being undefeated at home since 2012.

Pudlugger
09-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Next week it's Taylor not Yoakum. Homecoming next Friday against a 1-2 Duck squad. We get Yoakum in week 6.

Leopardfan201
09-12-2015, 01:51 PM
LG dominated LV...should of been 36/9 final score not for the dropped TD pass on 4th down...late in the 4th...Leps r turning too be better than last year especially on defense

Pudlugger
09-12-2015, 02:06 PM
LG dominated LV...should of been 36/9 final score not for the dropped TD pass on 4th down...late in the 4th...Leps r turning too be better than last year especially on defense

I agree we dominated in the second half but LV played us close in the first half. Agree the defense played lights out last night especially in the second half. As usual LG is a very solid second half team. If we can keep the scores close in the first half we will wear them down in the 4th quarter. We should not have a real challenge until Giddings. Go Leps!