PDA

View Full Version : Wylie @ Graham...

slingshot
09-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I'll go ahead and start it now. This ought to be a fascinating game, really looking forward to it. Two very good but flawed teams--each team's strengths play into the other's weaknesses. Could be another barnburner up in The Crackerbox (aka--Newton Field). Thoughts?

briandumith*
09-05-2015, 11:19 AM
I'll go ahead and start it now. This ought to be a fascinating game, really looking forward to it. Two very good but flawed teams--each team's strengths play into the other's weaknesses. Could be another barnburner up in The Crackerbox (aka--Newton Field). Thoughts?
If you are coming. I would love to have a meet n greet.. If you want.

CP3Dad
09-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Wylie Week = Best week of the year, IMO....ten games total from Tuesday through Friday....gonna try to see as much as possible

Leopardfan201
09-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Give me graham by 7..

slingshot
09-05-2015, 01:07 PM
How I see it (trying to be objective here... ): Graham has a fantastic passing game with a solid and smart, experienced QB with good recievers. Wylie has a very suspect pass defense--both our orig starting CB's are out and our fastest cover LB is likely out for a while. Trouble for Wylie, Graham gonna put up some passing #'s on us. Wylie has a very good running game with mutitple backs and a big strong QB that creates opportunities for draws, screens and the short passing plays off fakes--our bread and butter, we do it well. Graham's defense seems to have trouble stopping that type of offense. Our run defense is very solid, not sure that will help us much against a pass-first team like Graham. Graham's deep pass defense is good but we don't really stretch the field deep--they will have to come up tight to try to stop our runs and screens, could mean trouble for them. Should be a great game--both teams with some real strong areas and a lot of talented but young and inexperienced players still finding their footing. Still think both will go deep in the playoffs and could very likely meet again... Give me Wylie by 3 in a shootout.

slingshot
09-05-2015, 01:59 PM
If you are coming. I would love to have a meet n greet.. If you want.I am definitely coming. Hope to leave early, stop at Ernie's in Breckinridge on the way and eat a ribeye and enchiladas (not on the menu but man, it is good) and get there before kickoff. Where and when do you want to M&G?

briandumith*
09-05-2015, 02:01 PM
I am definitely coming. Hope to leave early, stop at Ernie's in Breckinridge on the way and eat a ribeye and enchiladas (not on the menu but man, it is good) and get there before kickoff. Where and when do you want to M&G?
Any place is fine..you can get to the home side from the scoreboard side..so maybe by the scoreboard.. before the game or at h.t. if you want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

slingshot
09-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Any place is fine..you can get to the home side from the scoreboard side..so maybe by the scoreboard.. before the game or at h.t. if you want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TapatalkHalftime would be great!

briandumith*
09-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Halftime would be great!
Cool then H.T. by the scoreboard.. I bet I can wrangle up a few more Graham posters..I am sure bear will come..

slingshot
09-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Is it Friday yet? This thread has been way too nice and polite... Bulldogs gonna whup up on the steers! You have no idea what's coming! Oh wait... scratch that last sentence. :D

hollywood
09-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Is it Friday yet? This thread has been way too nice and polite... Bulldogs gonna whup up on the steers! You have no idea what's coming! Oh wait... scratch that last sentence. :D

LOL.. If Stephenville wasn't playing Everman at home, I'd be there for this one. Graham will be out to redeem themselves. They don't like losing in front of their home crowd. Guess we all know what that's like so far this season. :D

Aguilafanatico
09-09-2015, 10:22 AM

Really quiet over here. What's going on? :thinking::thinking:

slingshot
09-09-2015, 11:20 AM
LOL.. If Stephenville wasn't playing Everman at home, I'd be there for this one. Graham will be out to redeem themselves. They don't like losing in front of their home crowd. Guess we all know what that's like so far this season. :DWe didn't like it either when Argyle came to our place and put it on us in front of our fans, sure Graham will be fired up after the unexpected loss to an underrated (IMHO) BWD team. Talked to a buddy who lives in Graham and he said they just came out flat in that game and were down 22-0 before they woke up. I still think this will be a very good Graham team by year's end. Their pass offense may be one of the best in the state. Suspect they are missing that beast of a D-line they've had the last couple of years that controlled the LOS and left their LB's free to roam and create havoc. Was a nice luxury to have. Like the rest of us they are having to make adjustments.

regaleagle
09-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm gonna chime in here on this matchup. The way I see it, Graham had a hiccup against a surprisingly effective Brownwood offense that exposed the Steers weaknesses on D. Graham's coaches have had one lousy week to get that fixed, and have probably found a way to at least shore up some of the problem areas. In this game, they will be subbing players on D if needed to find that right combination. AW will also be improved on D.....something they are already very good at. So it should come down to the offenses. Is Graham's offense really that good against a solid D like Wylie has? Or can Graham score at will in the passing game with Landry and his receivers against a suspect Wylie secondary? Something tells me to go with Graham in this game.....not because of how Wylie plays, but because Graham needs this win worse than Wylie does right now. It's in front of the home folks, and the prospects of dropping 3 in row w/Argyle up next IN ARGYLE is too much to bear. I think Graham comes out and plays a solid game on defense and surprises everybody this week. Graham 35 Wylie 31.

hollywood
09-09-2015, 11:29 AM
We didn't like it either when Argyle came to our place and put it on us in front of our fans, sure Graham will be fired up after the unexpected loss to an underrated (IMHO) BWD team. Talked to a buddy who lives in Graham and he said they just came out flat in that game and were down 22-0 before they woke up. I still think this will be a very good Graham team by year's end. Their pass offense may be one of the best in the state. Suspect they are missing that beast of a D-line they've had the last couple of years that controlled the LOS and left their LB's free to roam and create havoc. Was a nice luxury to have. Like the rest of us they are having to make adjustments.

Great post slingshot. I agree and not to mention, Graham also lost a ball hawk of a DB in Gonzales. It's hard to replace that many defensive players that made that kind of impact in one season. Graham's offense is potent, no question. This game will tell us a LOT about both teams. Great programs continue to improve throughout the season and become state contenders when season 2 starts. Graham, Abilene Wylie and Stephenville are all in that category.

Brownwood, the jury is still out on them. :vrycnfsd: We'll have to wait and see... they still have to prove out their potency. :D

ccmom
09-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Another Graham-Wylie matchup....always a dandy!! With a couple of exceptions, Newton Field has not been kind to the Bulldogs.

I'm not guaranteeing a Wylie win by any means, but I will say that I will be shocked if Graham puts up the kind of points on the Bulldog defense that they have put up the last two weeks. We shall see. I can't wait!!!

Oh and just because I know people like to make fun of posters who mention Junior High scores, I'll throw this in. My son is on the 8th grade Wylie A team, and they took it to Graham last night 40-6. :taunt:

hollywood
09-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Another Graham-Wylie matchup....always a dandy!!

Oh and just because I know people like to make fun of posters who mention Junior High scores, I'll throw this in. My son is on the 8th grade Wylie A team, and they took it to Graham last night 40-6. :taunt:

Congrats, sounds like it was a dandy!! ;D

Tink4392
09-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Graham should rebound this week but in a close game like last week! Turnovers will be the key in this match up, I'm going with the score regaleagle gave, 35-31 Graham!

canno
09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Wylie takes this one 35-21

Sparker
09-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Wylie is Big and Physical. Wylie wins.

Bosqueville
09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Graham wins 35-21.

hollywood
09-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Graham wins 35-21.

You hope. I think it'll be closer and Wylie takes it 35-21. Argyle hasn't slacked much this season from last and Wylie played them very tough!

slingshot
09-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Wylie is Big and Physical. Wylie wins.
Hope you're right, I'm really worried about the Graham passing game... our inexperienced CB's will have their hands full. I honestly think the game will come down to whether our offensive can sustain long drives to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Turner's hands. We do that, we win--if not...

Deuce
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Hope you're right, I'm really worried about the Graham passing game... our inexperienced CB's will have their hands full. I honestly think the game will come down to whether our offensive can sustain long drives to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Turner's hands. We do that, we win--if not...

This is possible if we didn't make some changes on defense and figure out how to tackle this week. I have a feeling we did though. I will take Graham by 6!

ccmom
09-11-2015, 02:04 PM
This is possible if we didn't make some changes on defense and figure out how to tackle this week. I have a feeling we did though. I will take Graham by 6!

I always believe in the Bulldogs, but I also think this might be a dangerous week to face the Steers. Actually, Graham is always dangerous for us, but this week they will have a chip on their shoulders. EEK! Go Dawgs!

Deuce, I had to read your post twice. I thought you it said "I will take Graham by 61"...might be time for glasses. :)

briandumith*
09-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Don't forget the M&G halftime by the scoreboard ..hope to see yall

Deuce
09-11-2015, 02:21 PM
I always believe in the Bulldogs, but I also think this might be a dangerous week to face the Steers. Actually, Graham is always dangerous for us, but this week they will have a chip on their shoulders. EEK! Go Dawgs!

Deuce, I had to read your post twice. I thought you it said "I will take Graham by 61"...might be time for glasses. :)

Hahaha! I have a lot of respect for Wylie. Would never say we would beat them by that much. We might beat them by 58, but not 61!

hollywood
09-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Hahaha! I have a lot of respect for Wylie. Would never say we would beat them by that much. We might beat them by 58, but not 61!

Lol, that made me laugh. Good luck tonight! I wish I was able to make the M&G... Got the Heart of Gold game vs Everman tonight. Heart of Gold game honors and recognizes a student of SISD that has been challenged with health and medical circumstances. This years student is the son of some good friends of ours. Team Seth!

Deuce
09-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Lol, that made me laugh. Good luck tonight! I wish I was able to make the M&G... Got the Heart of Gold game vs Everman tonight. Heart of Gold game honors and recognizes a student of SISD that has been challenged with health and medical circumstances. This years student is the son of some good friends of ours. Team Seth!

Awesome!!

slingshot
09-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Lot of respect here for Graham as well. We seem to be able to beat ya'll regularly in just about everything but football! Basketball, baseball, track, tennis--just struggle in football.
Anyone know what the all time record between the two teams is in football? Remember a couple of years ago one of our assistant coaches said "It's like playing a mirror image of us--they are very disciplined, limit mistakes, play good defense". That could describe both teams over the last decade.

hollywood
09-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Lot of respect here for Graham as well. We seem to be able to beat ya'll regularly in just about everything but football! Basketball, baseball, track, tennis--just struggle in football.
Anyone know what the all time record between the two teams is in football? Remember a couple of years ago one of our assistant coaches said "It's like playing a mirror image of us--they are very disciplined, limit mistakes, play good defense". That could describe both teams over the last decade.

Very true... going to be a fantastic atmosphere there tonight. Good luck and travel safe. And don't eat too many sunflower seeds! Your dentist probably won't like that.

slingshot
09-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Very true... going to be a fantastic atmosphere there tonight. Good luck and travel safe. And don't eat too many sunflower seeds! Your dentist probably won't like that.Sunflower seeds and Dr Pepper... my drugs of choice to stay awake at 1 AM driving home from a great football game! Going to consume a lot the next few weeks... tonight to Graham (4 hour round trip), next week to Birdville (6 hours) then the following week to Liberty Hill (7 hours).

hollywood
09-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Sunflower seeds and Dr Pepper... my drugs of choice to stay awake at 1 AM driving home from a great football game! Going to consume a lot the next few weeks... tonight to Graham (4 hour round trip), next week to Birdville (6 hours) then the following week to Liberty Hill (7 hours).

LOL... that weekly travel schedule is about 1/3 of Hollyville's!

ccmom
09-11-2015, 03:37 PM

This is according to the WF newspaper....

. Graham vs. Abilene Wylie – It’s one of the region’s best rivalries. Wylie leads the all-time series 15-14, but Graham has won three straight.

Rocket
09-11-2015, 05:05 PM
LOL.. If Stephenville wasn't playing Everman at home, I'd be there for this one. Graham will be out to redeem themselves. They don't like losing in front of their home crowd. Guess we all know what that's like so far this season. :D

Nope..can't say that we do.

Steernation
09-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Wylie by 14... After seeing how SOFT our D is.. Until that is addressed I don't see Graham as being anywhere as good as the last few years..

Rocket
09-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Wylie by 14... After seeing how SOFT our D is.. Until that is addressed I don't see Graham as being anywhere as good as the last few years..

This is the smartest post I've read all season.

bearbear78
09-11-2015, 10:50 PM
I think it's safe to say we are definitely in rebuild mode. Nothing to be taken away from Wylie, they played better football tonight and they really are a classy group on the field. #89 is a straight up mack truck and you sure don't want him to get in his zone. Kids a beast. Good meeting slingshot tonight also. I expect AW will keep gaining momentum and have a really good season. I think I understood they have 3 starters out and that's SCARY.

bearbear78
09-11-2015, 10:51 PM
This is the smartest post I've read all season.

We are for sure in rebuild mode, but I bet it won't take us 5 years.

gully81
09-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Poor Graham
I'm from Graham and have to admit they will never win a SC
LOL

Hollyville
09-11-2015, 11:04 PM
From the way I see it, Wylie is the best team in district by a good margin. Things may change later into the season, but doubt it.

THE BEAST
09-11-2015, 11:10 PM
We are for sure in rebuild mode, but I bet it won't take us 5 years.

Careful there quick shooter. You do realize that we handled every level of your high school football program last week dont ya. You guys have some rebuilding to do.

BEAST

THE BEAST
09-11-2015, 11:12 PM
From the way I see it, Wylie is the best team in district by a good margin. Things may change later into the season, but doubt it.

Well Hollyville, speak for your bees, as for us, we will be their huckleberry.

BEAST

Rocket
09-11-2015, 11:15 PM

And the Ville is not that good. I don't doubt it.

hollywood
09-11-2015, 11:25 PM
IMO, it's hard to tell who's the front runner in district 3 is right now. You simply can't compare scores on who beat who at this point. Teams match up differently. In the next few weeks, we will start knowing who will be the front runners. ;)

Deputyone
09-12-2015, 12:11 AM
People gtown is in trouble I'm telin ya now
Players all over that team in the wrong positions so that rebuild yal talkin about starts with getting rid of o Kenny d

Get smart & get hayes back fromy your nabor

slingshot
09-12-2015, 01:32 AM
Well--made it home from Graham (Dr Pepper and sunflower seeds :thumbsup:). A few observations. Game proved I know nothing--did not go as I expected at all. You could tell both coaching staffs had worked on their weaknesses. Did not expect Graham to be able to run the ball on us. They did. Did not expect us to be able to contain Graham's passing game. We did. Expected us to be able to run the ball well on Graham's defense. We didn't. Didn't expect us to be able to pass very effectively. We did.
It was a very physical game as expected. Fortunately we were bigger, stronger and deeper. Not sure how many turnovers Graham had--at least two picks, a couple of lost fumbles and one ran in for a TD. Don't think we had any. Refs were TERRIBLE... Wichita Falls chapter again? At least they were equal opportunity in their ineptness. The real difference maker in this game won't show up in the stats--remember this name: DT #89 Deion Novil. He was double and triple teamed all night and still lived in the Graham backfield disrupting their offense--kid is an absolute beast. After the game, one of the Graham coaches pointed to him and said "That's a D1 player right there... ".
Last observation? Landry Turner is one tough kid. We chased him, harrassed him, hit him over and over... and he kept getting up and playing hard. Even our kids on the sideline were impressed with his toughness. Hats off to Graham: you guys win with class and also do the harder part and lose with class. Nothing but quality kids and people there.
Now it's bedtime...

p.s. Bear, Brian and Tink are really nice guys!

Steernation
09-12-2015, 10:27 AM
I wish the best for the steers but this will be a long season.. I just hope by playoffs they have their head out of their bum.. By the way I see the wood as the team to beat in yalls district. They beat a pretty solid LH team last night..

slingshot
09-12-2015, 11:01 AM
I wish the best for the steers but this will be a long season.. I just hope by playoffs they have their head out of their bum.. By the way I see the wood as the team to beat in yalls district. They beat a pretty solid LH team last night..May be. Suspect Wylie and Stephenville will be ready for them...

#1 TEXAN
09-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Anyone explain why #3 doesn't get to run the ball?

#1 TEXAN
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
IMO #99 should be moved back to outside LB where he used to play we could really use some help there. Kid is a great athlete and gives 110% every play.

bearbear78
09-12-2015, 11:47 AM
I see some good points here. I'm just doing my best to keep my thoughts off here. I do have a kid on the team and don't wanna say anything publicly that WILL hurt him. I've had some folks ask me how come I'm not fired up , well I am but trying to stay positive.

bearbear78
09-12-2015, 12:03 PM
3 & 41 should be carrying the ball. 99 I'm going to remain silent on for obvious reasons.

Deuce
09-12-2015, 12:08 PM
No excuses! We just got beat by a better team again this week. A lot of time left before the games really count to make adjustments.

toddg
09-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Players all over that team in the wrong positions so that rebuild yal talkin about starts with getting rid of o Kenny d

a readable post, would be a good place to start.

Deputyone
09-12-2015, 12:34 PM
a readable post, would be a good place to start.

U got me.

Too many cold ones but everyone in Graham gets the point

The coach is Jr high capable at best maybe

toddg
09-12-2015, 12:41 PM
U got me.

Too many cold ones but everyone in Graham gets the point

The coach is Jr high capable at best maybefigured those were a major player..haha!

bearbear78
09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
We did lose two back to back last season and those losses helped rather than hurt. Maybe that'll be the case this season.

bearbear78
09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Congrats on those Indians Todd

Deputyone
09-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Three in a row come next Friday don't be mad just stating the facts

toddg
09-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Congrats on those Indians Todd
stuck to the bare bone basics last night..still improving, got the W...We'll turn the heat up on the dancing chicken in the coming weeks.

LionFan72
09-12-2015, 09:29 PM
stuck to the bare bone basics last night..still improving, got the W...We'll turn the heat up on the dancing chicken in the coming weeks.

Sounds like a plan, we will be checking on your game plan!

Deuce
09-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Poor Graham
I'm from Graham and have to admit they will never win a SC
LOL

Guessing you never stepped on the field! We haven't won it yet but have had a lot of success the last few years! Plenty of schools would kill to be in Graham's shoes!!

Deuce
09-12-2015, 11:17 PM

Plenty of times that I don't agree with Kenny D, but bringing back a Jr High coach is not the answer! Lmao