PDA

View Full Version : Spread Offense Rant

PurplePop
09-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Here goes. I've been going to my sons' varsity games at Navarro for going on five years now and seen 59 games (including playoffs and scrimmages). Most of those teams ran the spread. Very few ran it well, even the good ones. It doesn't even look like football to me. They throw way too many low percentage passes - outs or deep routes - over and over. The only pass that works routinely is the "sideways" pass. The read option just looks like the QB stands there with the ball in the RB's gut and delays long enough for one of them to get tackled for a loss. A lot of three and outs. A lot of these teams have 4 or 5 very good athletes on offense that hardly ever get the ball in a position to do anything with it. I just sit there and shake my head in pity for their kids and parents. We played a team last week with a very good QB, a very good receiver, a couple of other good receivers, a good RB, and their coach ran the STUPIDEST pass plays over and over. He got his really good receiver clobbered repeatedly throwing the "sideways" pass and rarely lined him up in the slot for higher percentage medium range passes. Their kids could have probably moved the ball better calling their own plays. Ugh!!! Just had to get that off my chest. Sorry if I offended spread lovers.

RkptFltn
09-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I agree. The most successful spread teams i have seen are run first teams with short underneath routes. Its not very likely that most schools are going to be able to turn out a QB every two years that can throw a dart oustside the numbers. Keep it simple stupid

hollywood
09-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Here goes. I've been going to my sons' varsity games at Navarro for going on five years now and seen 59 games (including playoffs and scrimmages). Most of those teams ran the spread. Very few ran it well, even the good ones. It doesn't even look like football to me. They throw way too many low percentage passes - outs or deep routes - over and over. The only pass that works routinely is the "sideways" pass. The read option just looks like the QB stands there with the ball in the RB's gut and delays long enough for one of them to get tackled for a loss. A lot of three and outs. A lot of these teams have 4 or 5 very good athletes on offense that hardly ever get the ball in a position to do anything with it. I just sit there and shake my head in pity for their kids and parents. We played a team last week with a very good QB, a very good receiver, a couple of other good receivers, a good RB, and their coach ran the STUPIDEST pass plays over and over. He got his really good receiver clobbered repeatedly throwing the "sideways" pass and rarely lined him up in the slot for higher percentage medium range passes. Their kids could have probably moved the ball better calling their own plays. Ugh!!! Just had to get that off my chest. Sorry if I offended spread lovers.

From my experience, it doesn't matter what system/offense is being used. It depends on how long the program has been in place and how well the kids and community excepts it and buys into it. That determines if it's executed well or not. If the staff are good at teaching the system, it will work unless there is very strong resistance from the community. Look at Celina. They were run oriented until the last several years where they adopted the spread offense. It wasn't received very well. Most spread offenses that I'm familiar with, are run first. Even Stephenville is run first. You have to have a decent running game for the spread attack to work. Even Briles will tell you he's run first then pass.

hollywood
09-02-2015, 08:09 AM
I agree. The most successful spread teams i have seen are run first teams with short underneath routes. Its not very likely that most schools are going to be able to turn out a QB every two years that can throw a dart oustside the numbers. Keep it simple stupid

Agreed!

PurplePop
09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
That's a very good comment. That's what bothers me the most about most spreads I see. They don't really let the kids line up and play football, if you know what I mean, which they would if they were run first.

maestro
09-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Don't get the spread offense confused with the Run and Shoot or the Air Raid offenses.

Most spread offenses must include basic running threats to have success.

PLUS.....the offense must match the personality of your team. I have seen teams that would run through a brick wall fail at the coach running the spread AND teams having tremendous success at the spread after getting away from smash mouth football.

How many coaches out there TRULLY try to adapt their schemes to match that year's personel???

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Two of Sam Harrell's sons are on the Sweetwater coaching staff including the OC.

We run the spread pretty well.

GUNHO
09-02-2015, 09:39 AM
WO-S ran basicly the Houston veer before 2000.Met Ennis in the title game that year and that made beleivers of our coaches about the spread.It took several years for us to get it right.It's a great offense if ran correctly.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-02-2015, 10:21 AM
execute the plays and any offense works.

HEMOTOXIC
09-02-2015, 10:23 AM

:ditto:

slingshot
09-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Ding, ding, ding... This. We run the spread and have done pretty well with it. Ours is a run based spread with plenty of underneath and screen passes with the occasional shot down the field to keep defenses honest.

lostaussie
09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
We run it pretty well. It starts about 3rd grade:D

Rabid Cougar
09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
How many coaches out there TRULLY try to adapt their schemes to match that year's personel???

Mark Bell at China Spring. Has been an Air Raid Offense, Spread, "I" , and slot T in various years and sometime all of them in one year.

As others have said, adapt to your players and execute the plays.

Rabid Cougar
09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Did you see Cameron run the Spread in the last three State Championship games? Did you see RB Travon Martin run for about 200 yerds in each of those games? That is the Spread offense.

Tink4392
09-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Only one of them now, youngest son is at Graham as the WR coach.
Two of Sam Harrell's sons are on the Sweetwater coaching staff including the OC.

hollywood
09-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Great points. The key is personnel. Several years back, Sville had 2 dynamic running backs. James Miles (big power back with decent speed) and Aivion Edwards (good size, speed and vision). Very successful running the ball then pass was utilized to keep teams honest. Aledo is another great example of running the spread at a highly successful level. Bottom line though is as long as the team's execute the style of offense being used, success will come.

hollywood
09-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Didn't know that! Wonder which son is coaching at Graham? I know Graham Harrell was running around the practice fields as a youngster when I played at Brownwood. Coach Sam Harrell is from Brownwood and was one of my coaches at Brownwood. Harrell's know Brownwood football very well!

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Ah, there were three new coaches added to Sweetwater's staff this year. I didnt realize one of them was replacing him. Thanks

Tink4392
09-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Clark Harrell, the youngest.

Didn't know that! Wonder which son is coaching at Graham? I know Graham Harrell was running around the practice fields as a youngster when I played at Brownwood. Coach Sam Harrell is from Brownwood and was one of my coaches at Brownwood. Harrell's know Brownwood football very well!

toddg
09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
the best spread offense iv seen in the last decade was 2005 SLC with Greg McLeroy at QB..unlike Chase Daniel, he was a pure passer..that team didnt rely on the bubbles and jets as much, they were just as efficient with the vertical passing game..basically unstoppable against some very talented Defenses that year

Caveman
09-02-2015, 03:02 PM
The purpose of the spread is to create gaps for the running game. Most older defensive schemes were developed to stop the run, otherwise known as stacking the box (wide 6 split 60). By spreading the field your corners and LBs now have to cover wide eliminating the C and D gaps creating a situation where the LBs can't play run first. That's what GA Moore tried against Argyle and they ran 45 plays in one half. Not only were the DBs dragging themselves down the field but their tongues were flapping behind them. The game has evolved to accommodate the speed and size of the players. That's why defenses that have speedy LBs create all kinds of blitz packages. If you can force the QB to constantly have to go to option one that eliminates a lot of the defensive problems.

buckeyebob
09-02-2015, 04:52 PM
We have been running the Spread since 2000...it has been good for us...throw or run makes no difference...last year:
950 points in 16 games, 4,453 yds passing, 4,110 yds running...68-2 in District since 2001

Very fast paced no huddle...they can't tackle you or run the ball if they are standing on their tongue

It is such a pleasure to watch...virtually all of East Texas runs it

LEFAN80
09-02-2015, 10:21 PM
We have been running the Spread since 2000...it has been good for us...throw or run makes no difference...last year:
950 points in 16 games, 4,453 yds passing, 4,110 yds running...68-2 in District since 2001

Very fast paced no huddle...they can't tackle you or run the ball if they are standing on their tongue

It is such a pleasure to watch...virtually all of East Texas runs it

I'd rekon we'd have another couple of state titles if we'd ran the spread a few years ago

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I agree with the original poster. The Spread isn't real football to me. It's glorified flag football with full pads and tackling allowed.

maestro
09-03-2015, 05:20 AM
The purpose of the spread is to create gaps for the running game. Most older defensive schemes were developed to stop the run, otherwise known as stacking the box (wide 6 split 60). By spreading the field your corners and LBs now have to cover wide eliminating the C and D gaps creating a situation where the LBs can't play run first. That's what GA Moore tried against Argyle and they ran 45 plays in one half. Not only were the DBs dragging themselves down the field but their tongues were flapping behind them. The game has evolved to accommodate the speed and size of the players. That's why defenses that have speedy LBs create all kinds of blitz packages. If you can force the QB to constantly have to go to option one that eliminates a lot of the defensive problems.
Good explanation here of the purpose and thinking behind the spread. And I may add, that if your QB is a major threat to run, it can be a great bonus to your play calling.

hollywood
09-03-2015, 07:07 AM
I agree with the original poster. The Spread isn't real football to me. It's glorified flag football with full pads and tackling allowed.

Lol.. Y'all non-spread fans crack me up. Please enlighten us on what "real" football is then.

NTFan
09-03-2015, 07:41 AM

When was this game? I remember in 2005 when Celina played Argyle, Celina pummeled them. Argyle went on to lose the State Championship in a close game. Then, in 2008, Celina beat a very good Argyle team again, limiting Argyle to 14 points I believe. (I could be wrong about the score). It wasn't until 2009 that Argyle beat Celina. Now, with all that said, GA wasn't coaching those teams. Butch Ford was leading the charge for the Bobcats back then. I didn't know if you were referring to Pilot Point or Aubrey playing Argyle, bc that's where GA was coaching during those years? My point is, it wasn't the schemes that was being beat. Argyle has had a run of GREAT players to execute their schemes. They are running the same defense that Celina ran. They've(Argyle) have had a great run against spread teams the last few years.

panfan
09-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Lol.. Y'all non-spread fans crack me up. Please enlighten us on what "real" football is then.

Spread -T is real football there holly. :D

rb585
09-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Did you see Cameron run the Spread in the last three State Championship games? Did you see RB Travon Martin run for about 200 yerds in each of those games? That is the Spread offense.

And most of the teams 3A and up that have won state run some form of a spread offense.

I can't think of any of them that run the Winged T like Navarro.

Farmersfan
09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't have a problem with the spread offense. My problem is that ever since switching to the spread the coaches have started signalling in the play from the sideline and this is proving to be nothing more than a momentum killer IMO. The boys get rolling and have several quality plays in a row and seem to be getting into a good rhythm and then suddenly they must line up, stand up and look to the sideline while the coach waits until 12 seconds left on the clock to signal in the play and then it's a huge stressful forced snap count to just beats the play clock. The entire team is forced to stand and wait for what seems like an eternity just to get the play from the sidelines and then it's a mad rush to beat the clock. When this happens it almost always seems like all the momentum they built on the previous plays is lost.... I'm pretty sure the O-coordinator is calling down plays from the pressbox and the sideline coach is signalling it in. I can remember at least a dozen times last season the team was forced to waste a timeout because they couldn't get the play in on time. I also remember a few times when the wasted timeout would have been GOLD at the end of the game! Does anyone know of any teams in high school where the QB actually calls his own plays?

coach
09-03-2015, 11:09 AM
I don't have a problem with the spread offense. My problem is that ever since switching to the spread the coaches have started signalling in the play from the sideline and this is proving to be nothing more than a momentum killer IMO. The boys get rolling and have several quality plays in a row and seem to be getting into a good rhythm and then suddenly they must line up, stand up and look to the sideline while the coach waits until 12 seconds left on the clock to signal in the play and then it's a huge stressful forced snap count to just beats the play clock. The entire team is forced to stand and wait for what seems like an eternity just to get the play from the sidelines and then it's a mad rush to beat the clock. When this happens it almost always seems like all the momentum they built on the previous plays is lost.... I'm pretty sure the O-coordinator is calling down plays from the pressbox and the sideline coach is signalling it in. I can remember at least a dozen times last season the team was forced to waste a timeout because they couldn't get the play in on time. I also remember a few times when the wasted timeout would have been GOLD at the end of the game! Does anyone know of any teams in high school where the QB actually calls his own plays?

I would say none since even in the NFL the qb doesnt call it's own play. Thats why you have an OC.

MustangFootball
09-03-2015, 11:19 AM
I say you have to change with the game or get left behind in most cases.....TCU found that out coming into the Big12.

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 11:50 AM

How many real state championships does Port Isabel have in its trophy case?

hollywood
09-03-2015, 12:30 PM
And most of the teams 3A and up that have won state run some form of a spread offense.

Yup!

coach
09-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Yup!

Ennis won last year...

hollywood
09-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Stephenville used to run the QB to the sideline for each play! Drove me crazy. Finally when T. Jones took over as a Jr., coaches must have gained confidence in him because he started calling plays when the offense got into a rhythm. It pinned the opponents defense on their heals. J. Stidham did the same, called plays in huddle and also ran no huddle.

As for what you're talking about above, Brownwood used to do the same when Freeman was head coach. They burned a ton of timeouts because they couldn't get the play into the huddle in time. That's poor game management if you ask me.

panfan
09-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Key word is most, I seem to recall a period in mid 2000 when LH made several deep runs, and ina couple of those, walked away with two SC :rolleyes:

I have nothing against the spread - use what fits your athletes. Key as has been pointed out, is execution of the offense you go with.

vincehaass1994
09-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Slot-T* but we've been running some of what I like to call the Slot-gun a lot recently 😂

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ragin Red
09-03-2015, 01:17 PM

We have a Harrell on our staff down here in Graham now. Just started this year, I think his name is Clark Harrell.

PurplePop
09-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Hollywood: You refined my thinking on the spread with your comments. It just drives me crazy watching spread coaches call low percentage pass plays over and over. Poor execution.

coach
09-03-2015, 02:56 PM
oh yea and Carthage won how many state championships without running th espread???

hollywood
09-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Hollywood: You refined my thinking on the spread with your comments. It just drives me crazy watching spread coaches call low percentage pass plays over and over. Poor execution.

I hear ya. I've watched very good spread offenses make good defenses look belittled and I've watched a few programs try the spread to only fail at it. Especially when they can't complete a pass! Lol

hollywood
Zero

hollywood
oh yea and Carthage won how many state championships without running th espread???

Zero

Rabid Cougar
09-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Liberty Hill ruled the roost with the Slot T 10 years ago.

Cameron won the SC running the Wing T in '81. 50 percent of the TD's we scored was by the pass.

waterboy
09-03-2015, 03:37 PM
When I first saw the spread I was under the same impression that this wasn't "real" football, but after a year or two of seeing the results, I must say there's not another offensive system out there that is tougher to stop. There have been VERY few teams that have slowed the better executing spread teams, much less stopped it. It's all about execution, and just like with any other offense, you must adapt to your players' skill level. We have run the spread for 15 years, and you can't argue the results. I can't remember a year where we didn't average at least 42+ points per game, and culminating to last year's offensive output of 59+ PPG, and 950 points scored in 16 games. If given the right skill people, with good execution, the spread can make a scoreboard look like a slot machine. :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM
How many real state championships does Port Isabel have in its trophy case?

Don't care. I stand by my statement.

I'd love to see what happens when some sadistic defensive backs coach or defensive coordinator "green lights" the WRs on a spread team. Jack them up even if the ball isn't coming their way. Make them afraid to run their routes, or to even be on the field. Your WRs get injured, or severely concussed.

The rise of concussions recently in football today is directly related to the rise in use of spread offenses. Specifically, WRs getting lit up by defensive backs looking for that one "glorious" hit.

toddg
09-03-2015, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=d0tc0m;1867471]How many real state championships does Port Isabel have in its trophy case?[/QUOTE
Celina never won a SC running the spread offense! LOL!!

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 04:36 PM

I'd love to see what happens when some sadistic defensive backs coach or defensive coordinator "green lights" the WRs on a spread team. Jack them up even if the ball isn't coming their way. Make them afraid to run their routes, or to even be on the field. Your WRs get injured, or severely concussed.

The rise of concussions recently in football today is directly related to the rise in use of spread offenses. Specifically, WRs getting lit up by defensive backs looking for that one "glorious" hit.

If your guys are quick enough and athletic enough to 'jack them up' then your defense should stand a chance against the spread anyway. In order to 'jack someone up' you've gotta be able to keep up with them. I'd like to see your science behind a DIRECT tie between concussions and the spread.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Zero

4...Carthage runs one of the most complex offenses in the state. One of the reasons we start off slow every year. Pro style multiple sets. We get in spread looks, but never have run a spread offense. I can't ever remember running 1 zone read. I might be wrong, but I really can't remember it. Maybe we ran it a couple of times in the state championship game in 2013. Surratt says our offense is comparative to Florida State. The spread when executed properly is a potent offense at the HS level. It fits many of the smaller programs without many big lineman and elite one on one talent to be very efficient on offense. You better have a stout offensive line and players on the outside that can win one on one match ups if you want to have success running the kind of offense Carthage runs. But when run properly I don't think there is a better offense. You take what the defense gives you, and constantly keep them off balance with a balanced attack. If you wanna see somebody execute the spread, go on over to Gilmer. Them boys have mastered that offense. That's why I have already stated Gilmer will never got too far down even when they are down talent wise. They can take a buncha midget lineman, and RB/WR with 4.8 speed and still put up 50 ppg. You take the talent away from Carthage and we have a season like we had last year.

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Celina never won a SC running the spread offense! LOL!!

Does this somehow disqualify me from a conversation about the spread? You're correct, Celina won its titles with a strong ground game. But I've seen MANY teams run amuck on my Bobcats with a strong spread attack over the years. Celina has been forced to evolve as football in general has become more sophisticated. Teams that are hellbent on only playing 'real football' will continue to fall further and further back. Adapt or die.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 04:49 PM

I would bet if you look at the last 10 years in our classification more non spread offenses have won title than spread offenses. Spread teams that have won: Gilmer, Ville, Sota, Tatum. Non spread teams: Carthage, Argyle, LH, Celina. Somebody with more knowledge would have to help me out.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2015, 04:52 PM
I would bet if you look at the last 10 years in our classification more non spread offenses have won title than spread offenses. Spread teams that have won: Gilmer, Ville, Sota, Tatum. Non spread teams: Carthage, Argyle, LH, Celina. Somebody with more knowledge would have to help me out.

Ennis won the 5A title last year with the Slot-T.

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 04:54 PM

In all fairness of the argument, Celina has never been a true spread team. We were very multiple in our last title year, and we're very multiple now. But I don't think you can throw the Bobcats in the true spread conversation.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Does this somehow disqualify me from a conversation about the spread? You're correct, Celina won its titles with a strong ground game. But I've seen MANY teams run amuck on my Bobcats with a strong spread attack over the years. Celina has been forced to evolve as football in general has become more sophisticated. Teams that are hellbent on only playing 'real football' will continue to fall further and further back. Adapt or die.

I disagee. Kilgore plays as "real" of football as there is, and before last year were playing elite football at the 3a (new 4a) level. In 2012 and 2013 they were 2-2 against the 2 most powerful spread offenses in the state at this level, Ville and Gilmer. You can have success, but you have to be all in with that brand of play on both sides of the ball.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 04:56 PM
In all fairness of the argument, Celina has never been a true spread team. We were very multiple in our last title year, and we're very multiple now. But I don't think you can throw the Bobcats in the true spread conversation.
I put them in the "non spread" category, especially in 2007 when they won there last championship and in 2008 when they played Carthage.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 05:01 PM

I was talking about 4a level, but a lot of schools win without running any type of spread offense. Look at Katy. They are perennial contenders running the pro I. I love that offense.

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 05:02 PM
I put them in the "non spread" category, especially in 2007 when they won there last championship and in 2008 when they played Carthage.

My mistake. Misread the post.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Even though I think the spread is fun to watch when ran properly, I do agree with the OP...there is nothing worse than watching a team run the spread when they can't execute out if it. It's terrible in the eyes.

d0tc0m
09-03-2015, 05:03 PM

That 2008 game was a fun one. What was the RBs name? Dwight something?

waterboy
09-03-2015, 05:06 PM
That 2008 game was a fun one. What was the RBs name? Dwight something?

Dwight Smith

hollywood
09-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Even though I think the spread is fun to watch when ran properly, I do agree with the OP...there is nothing worse than watching a team run the spread when they can't execute out if it. It's terrible in the eyes.

Any offense is terrible on the eyes when not executed! Lol Agree?

hollywood
09-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Wrong again. Please provide reports that back up your statements about concussions directly being related to spread offense. Concussions in football go back decades! It's of late, that there's more sophisticated testing and a better understanding what symptoms are evident with a concussion.

Dawgs
09-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Any offense is terrible on the eyes when not executed! Lol Agree?

Agree 👌

rb585
09-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Key word is most, I seem to recall a period in mid 2000 when LH made several deep runs, and ina couple of those, walked away with two SC :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's like over a decade ago.

rb585
09-04-2015, 08:19 AM

They didn't "win the title with the Slot-T." The occasionally ran plays out of that formation, but they usually had two wide-outs and threw the ball more in the state championship game than LH does in a season.

Rabid Cougar
09-04-2015, 08:32 AM

But they did play a spread team, actually an "Air Raid" type Offense", that gave them fits in the SC game in 2007.

d0tc0m
09-04-2015, 08:35 AM
But they did play a spread team, actually an "Air Raid" type Offense", that gave them fits in the SC game in 2007.

And held them to 14 points. That was a dang good China Spring team.

panfan
09-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that's like over a decade ago.

yep, was just adding clarification to your original statement which didn't have a timeline on it. :D. I wish we would integrate some other type of offense, spread, pistol, whatever, with what we currently run just to keep the defense honest. Right now, they know we are going to run the ball 99.9999% of the time.

Where my son is at now, they run the triple option and as far as I can tell, its still probably 70:30 run to pass, just to keep the defense honest.

oldtownag
09-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Zero

4 - Carthage does not run the spread!

coach
09-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Zero
Not sure what you have been watching but they run multiple sets and when its clicking then it is one of the best offenses to watch in the entire state. One reason why they are so successful. Also, they give their qb more freedom than most teams in the state. Calling audibles and what not. Very fun to watch.

hollywood
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Not sure what you have been watching but they run multiple sets and when its clicking then it is one of the best offenses to watch in the entire state. One reason why they are so successful. Also, they give their qb more freedom than most teams in the state. Calling audibles and what not. Very fun to watch.

They do run multiple sets. I've only watched them once in person and that was against Brownwood 2010 in the semis. Carthage did run some spread in that game. But when Holland ran wild that night, why even threaten with the pass and zone read. lol Great game though... One of my top 5 for sure. Stephenville's is one of the funniest to watch in the state as well. Winder has done a great job over the years continuing the high octane style while allowing the QB to make calls at the line of scrimmage as well as a 2 minute drill press when big gains are made.

coach
09-04-2015, 12:46 PM
They do run multiple sets. I've only watched them once in person and that was against Brownwood 2010 in the semis. Carthage did run some spread in that game. But when Holland ran wild that night, why even threaten with the pass and zone read. lol Great game though... One of my top 5 for sure. Stephenville's is one of the funniest to watch in the state as well. Winder has done a great job over the years continuing the high octane style while allowing the QB to make calls at the line of scrimmage as well as a 2 minute drill press when big gains are made.

Yes, they are definately a multiple set offense. I was at that game as well. One of the best games I have ever been to. unbelievable talent on both teams.

Rabid Cougar
09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
And held them to 14 points. That was a dang good China Spring team.

Conversly holding Celina to 21 points. I think Celina was averaging 56 that season.

Caveman
09-04-2015, 01:29 PM
When was this game? I remember in 2005 when Celina played Argyle, Celina pummeled them. Argyle went on to lose the State Championship in a close game. Then, in 2008, Celina beat a very good Argyle team again, limiting Argyle to 14 points I believe. (I could be wrong about the score). It wasn't until 2009 that Argyle beat Celina. Now, with all that said, GA wasn't coaching those teams. Butch Ford was leading the charge for the Bobcats back then. I didn't know if you were referring to Pilot Point or Aubrey playing Argyle, bc that's where GA was coaching during those years? My point is, it wasn't the schemes that was being beat. Argyle has had a run of GREAT players to execute their schemes. They are running the same defense that Celina ran. They've(Argyle) have had a great run against spread teams the last few years.

It was when he was with Aubrey.

d0tc0m
09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Conversly holding Celina to 21 points. I think Celina was averaging 56 that season.

Absolutely. That game could've gone either way. I mean the turning point was a halfback pass that almost result in a mega loss. Kid broke a few sure tackles and scrambled for what felt like 5 min before a huge pass down field for a game changing first down. We scored the go-ahead TD right after that. Such a great game! I'd love to see CS have another team like that. Obviously would love my Bobcats to get back to the promised land too.

buckeyebob
09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
When I first saw the spread I was under the same impression that this wasn't "real" football, but after a year or two of seeing the results, I must say there's not another offensive system out there that is tougher to stop. There have been VERY few teams that have slowed the better executing spread teams, much less stopped it. It's all about execution, and just like with any other offense, you must adapt to your players' skill level. We have run the spread for 15 years, and you can't argue the results. I can't remember a year where we didn't average at least 42+ points per game, and culminating to last year's offensive output of 59+ PPG, and 950 points scored in 16 games. If given the right skill people, with good execution, the spread can make a scoreboard look like a slot machine. :D

and it is so much fun to watch...I smell blood in the water now...time to go chop wood

waterboy
09-04-2015, 03:17 PM
and it is so much fun to watch...I smell blood in the water now...time to go chop wood

Yep..., I want to smell some pine tree sap!:D