PDA

View Full Version : Discipline over emotion EVERY time

Chief Woodman
08-30-2003, 03:14 PM
I have worked for 25 years in a profession that evokes the highest emotions and reactions possible. Literally, my co-workers very lives are at risk when the adrenaline is flowing. Remember...when the adrenalineand emotions are flowing, you DO NOT become smarter. In truth...the more emotion there is...the stupider you become. We cannot allow emotions to play a factor, or we lose our lives. Teamwork and discipline must be maintained, cause operating on emotions means you do not think and you do something stupid and someone goes home in a box. When teamwork is needed and adrenaline is flowing (Just like in a tense, close football game), You MUST be disciplined.

We have a saying about those who let emotions rule...."when in danger when in doubt, run in circles scream and shout". Thats what they do...loose their heads and cannot get the job done. Teamwork in my job is even more important than on the football field. If you lose on the ball field, a "L" goes on your record. When you lose at my work, you go 6 feet under.

So does this really apply to football? Prime example is last years 5A state Championship game. Midland thought they had the game won, and let the emotions flow. Result: The Defense, playing with emotions instead of discipline, let a reciever get behind everybody for an amazing long, long TD that cost them the Title. If they had maintained discipline for another 60 seconds, they would be wearing a state ring. So when times are tough, and emotions try to run high....give me discipline every time.

spaniard
08-30-2003, 03:15 PM
nice

sinton66
08-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Well stated. In football, emotion equals energy, and discipline equals control. On a football field or any other athletic competition, you need a good dose of both. In life, you are absolutely correct, give me discipline every time.

Pudlugger
08-30-2003, 07:55 PM
You're absolutely right Chief, in my profession, surgery,(now retired), when the fecal matter hits the proverbial fan it is time to be calm and do your job. That is when discipline and training really pay off. In football it is important to be "on your game" but that doesn't mean be excited and unfocused like those guys running around shouting in circles. It means attaining a state of energized alertness and concentration. It is a relaxed alertness not uptight and defended when you only see with tunnel vision totally lacking in situational awareness. I thought this would make a good thread so that's why I posted it earlier. Coaches must get the kids up for a big game, yet I think some of the ploys like "motivational dances" on the home teams field logo after taking to the field is just plain classless showboating. What do you think?

sinton66
08-30-2003, 08:15 PM
I agree with that. I have seen the dance in the middle of the field and I don't care for it either. They say they only do it as a sign of "unity" on the team, but that's not what it looks like to me.

slpybear the bullfan
08-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Emotion is a plus when you are up... but is a killer when you get down.

Discipline is what keeps teams (both on and off the field) in the game when your emotions are down.

Chief Woodman
08-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Cannot completely agree with ya slpybear. Midland was up, and the emotions were a negative, not a plus. The other team controled their emotions even though it looked bad. They stayed disciplined and are wearing a ring.

sinton66
08-30-2003, 08:48 PM
I was at that game, Chief. If anybody were to ask me, I'd swear that kick was good. Sure looked like it to me.