PDA

View Full Version : Time to kick the tires and light the fires, Celina

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Seems like its been forever, but I'm back. It's going to be an exciting year for Celina, IMO. That is, if you like running the football. Anyone know if the game will be webcast or on the radio?

Celina8
08-28-2015, 11:11 AM
This is the quitest i have seen the bobcats in a long while on this message board.

d0tc0m
08-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Man, good to have you back Rixey! It has been a quiet summer from the Celina faithful indeed. But I'm with you, from what I've heard, this could be a fun year. I love that the offense will go through Alexander and the ground game this season. If the O-line can come together and create some holes, Alexander can carry the Bobcats, while also taking pressure off a young, but capable QB. Plus, there's enough talent at the skill positions to keep teams honest.

Tonight will tell us a lot more about what to expect from the Bobcats this season. Liberty Christian has a great QB and some good weapons around him. I'm anxious to see what the defense is able to do with Gerths captaining from MLB. Kid has a lot of talent and the ability to be one of Celina's better LBs, in my opinion.

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
What do you do in Springfield? I've been stationed at Fort Leonard Wood for the last two years.

d0tc0m
08-28-2015, 01:06 PM
I cover high school sports in this area.

I've stopped in Ft. LW a few times to eat on the way to state baseball/football coverage over the past few years.

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 01:32 PM
I've been hoping to see less of the spread for several years now, lol. I think the defense would be helped tremendously simply by being on the field for fewer plays. I also think it will allow the running backs, especially Alexander, to get into a rhythm early in the season.

Our defensive statistics over the last decade can partially be blamed on the advent of spread offenses, but we have allowed 10 ppg more (roughly speaking) than in the past, and not all of it can be blamed on spread offenses or the elevation to 3A/4A.

From 1994-2008, we allowed an average of 9.71 ppg, which includes the outliers of 16.9 in 2003 and 16.6 in 2008.

From 1994-2008, we scored an average of 40.21 ppg.

Since then, we have continued to score in the 40 ppg range but our scoring differential has drastically decreased, and not just because of the playoff exits recently where we have allowed 50+.

I don't have any records for time of possession but that used to be our bread and butter, even against high-powered offenses like Stanton, Mart, Gainesville and Liberty Hill.

I know that part of the plan has been to load the offense with talent to compete against the upper-echelon 4A teams, but sacrificing time of possession has put us behind earlier in games that would have been closer in the past.

Simply put, the key for us is to have as a good a running game as possible, because the defenses we run are not geared for track meets.

Averaging only 9.71 ppg over 15 seasons is historic, and that is not likely to be duplicated by anyone in today's atmosphere. In addition, I don't think the quality of quarterbacks has diminished-Tune, Elliot and the others were all capable, but they lacked a key ingredient that previous qb's had - a lead in Time of Possession throughout a season and a defense that benefited from more down time during games.

Instead we have had dozens of rushers eclipse 150+ yards and a bunch of qb's throw for a bundle. Sometimes there's not much a defense can do, like with Delbert Davis in 2008 against Carthage; but even in that game, we led at half time because we had held our own on offense and kept the ball out of his hands. It was when Carthage broke serve and we had a few short possessions that they pulled ahead and stayed there.

So tonight, I agree that the defense will be my focus. LC is a quality opponent on both sides of the ball and will tell us a lot about where the team is at.

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 01:53 PM
And another thing I just thought of - our streak started off in 1998 when we entered the playoffs at 8-2 and were only averaging 30 ppg. What won the title for us was our defense, which shut out four of six opponents. The last two were Stanton and Elysian Fields; Stanton was the defending (unified) state champion and boasted an offense averaging more than 40 ppg, and we shut them out 9-0. Elysian Fields had a 3,000 yard rusher in Chris Harris, led by a coach (Chad Morris) who led Lake Travis to state titles before jumping to college and making Clemson relevant and is now the new head coach at SMU. We shut them out 21-0. When our focus started with defense, the rest was made easier. I realize that Nathan Elliott was a highly-ranked dual-threat option, but there were several times in the last few years that we could have won had our defense simply allowed less than 40 points.

I know it's easy for us to sit in the bleachers and talk about these things like such things are not difficult; but I am not ashamed in hoping that we will rely more on our running game.

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 01:55 PM
I cover high school sports in this area.

I've stopped in Ft. LW a few times to eat on the way to state baseball/football coverage over the past few years.

We go to Springfield all the time, for obvious reasons (there is nothing, absolutely nothing out here).

d0tc0m
08-28-2015, 02:02 PM
All good points, and that's why it's fun to have you back, Rixey!

The only thing I'd say is Tune is one of the more underrated Celina QBs of all time. For me, I rank him 2nd behind Herrin. I still think we could've run the table in '04 if Tune had been the starting QB, and Clark had been used as a receiver/RB as well as a LB/safety on defense. Tune was very cerebral and sneaky athletic.

I'd say he did benefit from TOP, though, especially more than the QBs post-2007. He also QB'd what is, in my mind, the best Celina team of all time, too. Though 2005 is probably 1a) with 2000 as 1b)

charlesrixey
08-28-2015, 02:17 PM
He definately benefited, lol: at the time, the 2005 (i believe) held the record for point differential (although it was close), scoring 803 and allowing only 75 (50.2 ppg and 4.7 ppg, respectively).

His play was a big factor in that success, for sure.

I think that 2000 had a tougher schedule, but Pewitt in the title game in 05 was certainly legit. 7 spots on the TSWA All-State list in 2000 were Bobcats (the first team) - Thomas (C), Herrin (QB), May (K), Cherry (DE), Evans (LB), Basham (LB), May (CB). On the 2nd team, Martin (WR), Tudor (WR), Harvey (RB) were there; that's 10 spots overall, which is pretty darn good for any team. Because of that, it would be hard for me to pick between the two.

Crawford was pretty darn good in 04 and did some things that no one at the 2A level had done to us in quite some time.

d0tc0m
08-28-2015, 03:22 PM
And another thing I just thought of - our streak started off in 1998 when we entered the playoffs at 8-2 and were only averaging 30 ppg. What won the title for us was our defense, which shut out four of six opponents. The last two were Stanton and Elysian Fields; Stanton was the defending (unified) state champion and boasted an offense averaging more than 40 ppg, and we shut them out 9-0. Elysian Fields had a 3,000 yard rusher in Chris Harris, led by a coach (Chad Morris) who led Lake Travis to state titles before jumping to college and making Clemson relevant and is now the new head coach at SMU. We shut them out 21-0. When our focus started with defense, the rest was made easier. I realize that Nathan Elliott was a highly-ranked dual-threat option, but there were several times in the last few years that we could have won had our defense simply allowed less than 40 points.

I know it's easy for us to sit in the bleachers and talk about these things like such things are not difficult; but I am not ashamed in hoping that we will rely more on our running game.

There's no question defense has been our weakest link since about 2007. We had some talented teams in 2010-12 with some really, really good team speed. Those were some winnable seasons, as well. But we had absolutely ZERO defense, and more specifically, we had no discipline on the defensive side of the ball. We couldn't tackle, and we looked like we didn't want to tackle. Which is why Henderson was able to just tear us apart in two of those seasons.

I think Coach Elliot has brought in some great coaching pieces from the outside to kind of shore up the coaching staff. Now, if he can revert back somewhat to the Celina philosophy of old -- play hard-nosed defense and tackle extremely well, then pound the rock and have an efficient passing game -- we could see the Bobcats get back to where they used to be every year. I think Celina has a great chance to play some December football again this year, and maybe, if some things come together, have a shot at No. 9.

charlesrixey
09-14-2015, 02:54 PM
I hate to say I told you so but my predictions have been pretty good so far. We beat Argyle last week by establishing the run first. We ran almost exclusively until the long pass that scored our second touchdown. I don't think this team is as talented as last years' yet but the program has needed a defining win for the last five or six seasons and hasn't had one to look to for inspiration. Believing in yourself is just as crucial to winning as talent, and I think the coaches will be able to channel the momentum. I imagine the energy for next game will be intense, and it better be, because Bishop Lynch is not just going to roll over.

d0tc0m
09-14-2015, 03:16 PM
I hate to say I told you so but my predictions have been pretty good so far. We beat Argyle last week by establishing the run first. We ran almost exclusively until the long pass that scored our second touchdown. I don't think this team is as talented as last years' yet but the program has needed a defining win for the last five or six seasons and hasn't had one to look to for inspiration. Believing in yourself is just as crucial to winning as talent, and I think the coaches will be able to channel the momentum. I imagine the energy for next game will be intense, and it better be, because Bishop Lynch is not just going to roll over.

I agree with you completely except for this. I think these Bobcats are vastly improved everywhere on the field over last year's team, especially on defense. Celina gave up some big plays to Argyle, but half of it was to Estrada, who is the real deal. The rest came on some nice play by Ledford, who just refused to give up on a play, and a few times the Celina DBS broke their coverage off too early. Celina's mistakes on defense are correctable, and Gerths may be the best MLB Celina has ever had.

On offense, the Bobcats are a year older at the skill positions, and we have a great stable of receivers. Pingleton is getting better and better, and more comfortable with each snap. And the kid throws a pretty ball and has some wheels. Argyle never really stopped Celina. The Bobcats stopped themselves with penalties and silly mistakes. Granted, that's part of football, and each team can claim that to an extent. But 600 yards of offense against a state runner up (been to 3 of last 5 title games), and it could've been worse ... that's something to write home about.

As far as Alexander, there won't be many teams that slow him down this season. He's fast to the edge and strong as a bull. There were a few Argyle defenders that flat out didn't want anything to do with him on a few plays. He'll give plenty of teams fits this season.

I'm liking these Bobcats more and more each week, and they seem more focused than last year's team. They're also playing with a chip on their shoulder, kinda like that 2007 Celina team. We know how that ended.

charlesrixey
09-15-2015, 10:09 AM
That's why I said "yet," lol. They still give up a lot of big plays, which has been an achilles heel for a while. The big difference in this game was the run defense, which played its best game so far.

Celina8
09-15-2015, 11:33 AM
That's why I said "yet," lol. They still give up a lot of big plays, which has been an achilles heel for a while. The big difference in this game was the run defense, which played its best game so far.

I am a lot more excited about this team after beating Argyle as I just basically misjudge this years team. You and dOtcOm however did not. With that said I do worry about this game as a lot of emotion was spent last week and this game could be a trap game if the team does not bring the same intensity as last week. I just want the boys to stay healthy for the playoffs. I thought the board would see more Celina fans this week but who knows as we get further into the season.

d0tc0m
09-15-2015, 02:15 PM

I am a lot more excited about this team after beating Argyle as I just basically misjudge this years team. You and dOtcOm however did not. With that said I do worry about this game as a lot of emotion was spent last week and this game could be a trap game if the team does not bring the same intensity as last week. I just want the boys to stay healthy for the playoffs. I thought the board would see more Celina fans this week but who knows as we get further into the season.

Yeah, even with the big plays given up, this team is better than 2014. And they're only gonna get better. That running defense was salty against Argyle, and it all starts up front. The line did a great job pinning Sweatt — who is dang fast in his own right — up in the backfield.

Celina8 you're not the only one to think the Bobcats didn't have a chance last week. But for a handful, no one in the state had the Bobcats picked. If you look on the Smoaky board, that Celina/Argyle thread painted an even more dismal picture for the Bobcats. Lots of crow served up after that win, though.

The thing that makes championship teams what they are is a steady progression from week-to-week. You don't see the great teams take steps backwards. I don't think the Bobcats will fall into a trap this week against Byshop Lynch. I think Celina handles the Friars fairly well and continues to show they can play defense, especially against the run.

charlesrixey
09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Bishop Lynch is a trap game but the bright side is that they've already beaten us once, last year, so there should be no illusions about the effort that our boys will need to bring. Bishop Lynch lost to a salty Sachse (don't remember if they are 5A or 6A) and held their own.

Argyle was a huge win for us. I can't think of any win even close to being that consquential (mentally) since 2008. Very rarely have we avoided being blown out of the stadium against the top-tier teams. It is not a coincidence that we ran for 400+ yards, passed for 150, and won against a great team. Conversely, we gave up some big pass plays but allowed 50ish yards rushing. Even during the golden years from 95-07, we were susceptible to long pass plays because of the defense we ran. At the same time, however, we almost never allowed a running back to gain 100 yards, especially in the playoffs. Quan Cosby, Delbert Davis and that kid from Garrison in 02 were some of the only ones.

Argyle is still putting the pieces together after a rediculous run, but it is not as if the cupboard is bare. They will still be in the mix in December in d1.

d0tc0m
09-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Bishop Lynch is a trap game but the bright side is that they've already beaten us once, last year, so there should be no illusions about the effort that our boys will need to bring. Bishop Lynch lost to a salty Sachse (don't remember if they are 5A or 6A) and held their own.

Argyle was a huge win for us. I can't think of any win even close to being that consquential (mentally) since 2008. Very rarely have we avoided being blown out of the stadium against the top-tier teams. It is not a coincidence that we ran for 400+ yards, passed for 150, and won against a great team. Conversely, we gave up some big pass plays but allowed 50ish yards rushing. Even during the golden years from 95-07, we were susceptible to long pass plays because of the defense we ran. At the same time, however, we almost never allowed a running back to gain 100 yards, especially in the playoffs. Quan Cosby, Delbert Davis and that kid from Garrison in 02 were some of the only ones.

Argyle is still putting the pieces together after a rediculous run, but it is not as if the cupboard is bare. They will still be in the mix in December in d1.

Absolutely correct here. Argyle has a ton of experience at some key skill positions, and a quarterback that will be significantly better than last year's signal caller that took them to a title game. The Argylians began claiming youth after the loss, but they're no more youthful than Celina. "Youth" just happened to be the marinade that best flavored the crow. The Bobcats have almost an entirely brand new offensive/defensive line. But like Argyle, plenty of experience/talent at the skill positions.

When you look at Byshop Lynch, there's no question they're a salty bunch. They had a 7-0 lead over 6A Sachse after the first quarter, before giving up 27 and 23 points in the second and third quarters, respectively. By the fourth quarter, the game was already out of hand, so the close score is a bit misleading. But, if you look at Sachse, they've knocked off 6A Plano West and 5A Wylie. They're no joke.

I have no doubts the Friars will come into Celina with a bigger team, physically, and plenty of talent/speed to match the Bobcats. But I think Celina finally remembered the flavor of winning big games against more talented teams last week, and I think that doesn't lead to traps or complacency, but fuels the drive and hunger to get back on top from here on out.

Either way, can't wait for Friday! I love listening to JP and Mark on the broadcast while covering less-than-mediocre football here in Springfield.

d0tc0m
09-18-2015, 11:14 PM
No trap game for Celina this week. The Bobcats absolutely embarrassed a pretty athletic Bishop Lynch team. Even with RB Alexander playing half a quarter, the Bobcats still put up 542 yards of total offense, with almost 350 of that coming through the air by Pingleton. Thats two weeks in a row the Bobcats have posted 500+ yards of offense, with 600 last week. Pingleton eclipsed 1,000 yards of total offense on the season tonight, too.

And the most impressive thing was the defense! The Bobcats just flat dominated the Friars, and adjusted quickly to what Lynch was trying to do. The starting defense gave up one touchdown and MAYBE 100 total yards, but that'd be pushing it. The Friars didn't stand a chance.

This was the last big test for Celina for a while. Next one won't come until the Bobcats take on Bridgeport, which will likely decide the district crown. Main thing for Celina for these next few weeks is get and stay healthy and start to implement a little more of the playbook on both sides of the ball, get some minor things tweaked and personnel adjusted, and let's get ready for some December football!

regaleagle
09-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Celina is definitely positioned now for an undefeated regular season again, and to make some very big noise come playoff time. Good luck the rest of the way. The Argyllians will be watching intently and pulling for the Bobcats to make it all the way.

Wayne
09-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Congrats on another Big win! Just like Regaleagle said, Argyle is pulling for you guys. The only thing that can stop Celina this year is Celina.

d0tc0m
09-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Celina is definitely positioned now for an undefeated regular season again, and to make some very big noise come playoff time. Good luck the rest of the way. The Argyllians will be watching intently and pulling for the Bobcats to make it all the way.

Congrats on another Big win! Just like Regaleagle said, Argyle is pulling for you guys. The only thing that can stop Celina this year is Celina.

Congrats to you guys as well! Looks like the Eagles didn't miss a beat against Graham. I'll be pulling for y'all the rest of the way as well. I would love to see the Bobcats and Eagles bring some hardware back to north Texas.

Aguilafanatico
09-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Absolutely correct here. Argyle has a ton of experience at some key skill positions, and a quarterback that will be significantly better than last year's signal caller that took them to a title game. The Argylians began claiming youth after the loss, but they're no more youthful than Celina. "Youth" just happened to be the marinade that best flavored the crow. The Bobcats have almost an entirely brand new offensive/defensive line. But like Argyle, plenty of experience/talent at the skill positions.

When you look at Byshop Lynch, there's no question they're a salty bunch. They had a 7-0 lead over 6A Sachse after the first quarter, before giving up 27 and 23 points in the second and third quarters, respectively. By the fourth quarter, the game was already out of hand, so the close score is a bit misleading. But, if you look at Sachse, they've knocked off 6A Plano West and 5A Wylie. They're no joke.

I have no doubts the Friars will come into Celina with a bigger team, physically, and plenty of talent/speed to match the Bobcats. But I think Celina finally remembered the flavor of winning big games against more talented teams last week, and I think that doesn't lead to traps or complacency, but fuels the drive and hunger to get back on top from here on out.

Either way, can't wait for Friday! I love listening to JP and Mark on the broadcast while covering less-than-mediocre football here in Springfield.

I'm confused. Who from Argyle claimed "youth" after the game? Not me. I have seen this in your posts at least twice now.

Aguilafanatico
09-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Argyle gives up big plays on defense as well, "due to the defense we run". We appreciate you sharing the 10-1 with us....

d0tc0m
09-19-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm confused. Who from Argyle claimed "youth" after the game? Not me. I have seen this in your posts at least twice now.

Regal. Several times.

d0tc0m
09-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Argyle gives up big plays on defense as well, "due to the defense we run". We appreciate you sharing the 10-1 with us....

You're welcome, though you should really thank G.A. Moore. I can get you his number, if you want.