PDA

View Full Version : Twins on Yoakum football team story

Scoop27
08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
From the Victoria Advocate
YOAKUM – Jordan and Josh Moore aren’t identical twins.

They also have different personalities.

“They’re two different kids,” said Yoakum coach Bo Robinson. “Josh is a little more silky. That would be my adjective for him. Jordan is a little more of a bulldog when it comes to doing things. But both are very talented athletes and have a bright future.”

The future is now for the 15-year-old sophomores, who are part of a promising Yoakum sophomore class.

Jordan, who is a minute older than his brother, will start at running back and safety and return kicks, and will also play some wide receiver.

Josh will start at quarterback and cornerback and will see some action at wide receiver.

“Since sixth grade we’ve always been told, ‘I can’t wait until y’all get into high school,’” Jordan said. “I didn’t know we were going to get another great athlete like Silas (Robinson). I just have a real great feeling about our class.”

Yoakum fans have been awaiting the arrival of the twins, who come from a family of outstanding athletes.

Their grandfather, Charlie Hall, played at the University of Houston and professionally for the Cleveland Browns. Their father, Quinton Moore, played at Prairie View A&M.

“You grow up and things are expected of you because of your lineage and your heritage,” Robinson said. “I think that’s a good thing. I think they feel that and I think they’re comfortable with that.”

The twins played on varsity last season and were also members of the Bulldogs’ track and field team. They are prepared to accept a larger role this season.

“I’m just trying to be a leader,” Josh said. “As a sophomore, it’s going to be a lot of weight. I feel like I can handle it. I’m just trying to build chemistry with my teammates.”

Michelyn Moore has seen her sons develop a unique connection, which is shared by their 11-year-old sister and brother, Trinity and Trace, who are also twins.

“I would say they would have a very strong sibling bond,” she said. “I’m not sure if that’s because they’re twins or they’ve always been close. It sounds weird to say, but they don’t fight. Their personalities kind of complement each other. Where as one might be a little high strung and maybe the debater of the two. The other will just say, ‘OK, sure.’”

Josh and Jordan are the closest of friends, but they are also fierce competitors.

“Every time we hit each other at practice or at home, we’ve got to talk about it,” Jordan said. “If he makes a big play, I’ve got to tell him a play I made. It’s just competitive.”

“It’s basically been competition between us two,” Josh agreed. “When we were little, we would sit there and watch Monday Night Football with our mom and dad and we would race in the living room and she would throw us the ball and we would play tackle.”

Hall has been around his grandsons for most of their lives and encouraged them to stay busy.

“They’ve always been active in sports,” Hall said. “They were always throwing a football or playing basketball or something. I always try to emphasize what made me successful when I played wasn’t so much lifting weights, but I could run all day. I always tell them if you can run, you can play anything.”

The twins appreciate the advice they’ve received from their grandfather, who never missed a game in his 10 years with the Browns.

“He’s helped me with the basics of the game,” Josh said. “Every time I have a question, I go to him. He’s my role model.”

“I honestly don’t think he’s ever missed a game of ours in any sport,” Jordan added. “I always hear people talking about him – how great of an athlete he was. He’s taught me more life lessons than sports. He taught me how to be a good character in the real world because one day he’s not going to be there anymore.”

The twins plan on being there for each other as Yoakum attempts to duplicate the success of last season’s quarterfinal team.

“I love playing with Josh,” Jordan said. “He’s like my best friend on the field. I know him the most. I know him more than anybody on the field and he knows me more than anybody on the field.”

Yoakum fans are looking forward to watching the Moore twins for the next three seasons and years to come.

“I told them don’t worry so much about college,” Hall said. “If you play and you do well, somebody is going to come and offer you something. I tell them to have fun, play hard and everything will take care of itself.”

Pudlugger
08-28-2015, 04:21 AM
Wow what great kids and wonderful story. It's going to be something special to follow these boys' career at Yoakum.

YTBulldogs
08-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Awesome kids, from a great family.

Snotbubbles
08-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Charlie Hall their grandpops? I remember seeing him play. Good blood line.