PDA

View Full Version : Waco News reports on Atlanta High....supposedly

kaorder1999
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Saw this on another board...im sure it is all BS but has anyone heard this or actually see this broadcast in Waco?

The Monday night, 10:00 p.m. news out of channel 10 in Waco reported that rumors are circulating that Atlanta used ineligible player(s) during their playoff run to the 3A, Division II title. According to the news, Atlanta Coach Ben Scharnberg denies using illegal players and reports that he's never done anything against the rules in his entire coaching career. The program also reported that Marlin coach Jerry Malone has not accused anyone of any wrongdoing. It also reported that the UIL has not received any formal complaints and there is no investigation under way. Anyone know what started all this?

<small>[ January 06, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

Jacket2000
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Sounds like BS to me. Why would Waco be the first to report this? Atlanta is nowhere near Waco(but, Marlin is right down the street from Waco). Other than the obvious English skills,this sounds like something a Marlin poster would write.
J2K

kaorder1999
01-06-2004, 04:37 PM
hehe....i kind of thought the same...hey jacket...any news on the job? just wondering!

Bandera YaYa
01-06-2004, 04:41 PM
..I'm with Jacket.....Go figure!
Oh my gosh...I went to school with a Benny Scharnberg ( a few years older than me)..He lived in Ingram, but attented high school in Kerrville....and he ended up coaching...wonder if it's the same guy? If so, he was a great person.
Small world, huh? I don't know where Atlanta is in Texas, but if it turns out I know the coach, how funny!

<small>[ January 06, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

lepfan
01-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a Marlin story to me...go figure.

marlin fan
01-06-2004, 06:13 PM
What ya mean lepfan HUH? :D

reddie71
01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
The news is true about being started in Marlin. Somewhere we all lose something (mind set) when it comes to winning and losing, I make no excuses for our team, "We could have played them 10 times and they would have won all 10". Atlanta had a great football team and were coached excellent. They gave us a good old "A$$" whipping and made us like it. I have nothing but praise for Coach Scharnberg and his staff. They were prepared and earned the State Championship on the field. We at Marlin had a great season and have nothing to be ashamed of. I know all of this to be fact,
"because I am the head coach here"

Jacket2000
01-07-2004, 12:57 AM
kaorder1999:
hehe....i kind of thought the same...hey jacket...any news on the job? just wondering!Im guessin' you're talkin' about the HC job at Canyon Creek. No word so far. I was named interim HC back before school let out and they're gonna take apps untill the 20th. I turned mine in right before school let out, so now Im waitin' to be called for an interview. Haven't heard anything since then.
J2K

HighSchool Fan
01-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Bandera YaYa:
Oh my gosh...I went to school with a Benny Scharnberg ( a few years older than me)..He lived in Ingram, but attented high school in Kerrville....and he ended up coaching...wonder if it's the same guy? If so, he was a great person.
Small world, huh? I don't know where Atlanta is in Texas, but if it turns out I know the coach, how funny!Bandera YaYa did you graduate from Kerrville? if so what year, my wife graduated from there.

<small>[ January 07, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: HighSchool Fan ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
01-07-2004, 01:58 PM
HighSchool Fan:

Bandera YaYa:
Small world, huh? I don't know where Atlanta is in Texas, but if it turns out I know the coach, how funny!Bandera YaYa did you graduate from Kerrville? if so what year, my wife graduated from there.I graduate in 1974...yeah, I'm old!! frown

Ozzy
01-07-2004, 02:08 PM
YaYa, there's no way you graduated in 1974. what were you, 10 years old? I would have guessed late 80's. Oh well, I guess I can't go to work as an age guesser at the carnival after all. :confused:

Leopard213
01-07-2004, 07:49 PM
So, let me get this straight.....a Waco tv station reported that a team might have done something wrong, no body has ever done anything wrong and UIL has no reports of anybody doing anything wrong.....that's news worthy!!!!

BUDDY
01-08-2004, 09:16 AM
That is the Scharnberg from Kerville. He came to Atlanta in the late 80's...88 or 89. He has been a very consistent coach in Atlanta over the years, but most of all he always graduates athletes that are good kids. If they do not buy into what he tells them, they do not make it through his program. If you noticed, they only dress out about 25 to 30 varsity players each year. Also, all of his football players run track in the spring. There is a reason for all of the speed they have. THEY WORK ON IT!!!

PPHSfan
01-08-2004, 04:06 PM
BUDDY:
That is the Scharnberg from Kerville. He came to Atlanta in the late 80's...88 or 89. He has been a very consistent coach in Atlanta over the years, but most of all he always graduates athletes that are good kids. If they do not buy into what he tells them, they do not make it through his program. If you noticed, they only dress out about 25 to 30 varsity players each year. Also, all of his football players run track in the spring. There is a reason for all of the speed they have. THEY WORK ON IT!!!They might all be on the track team, but they don't all "run" track. You are not going to convice me that a couple of those lineman that suck air in between every play could run 100 meters all at once without oxygen. There are a couple of guys on that team that may be able to throw the shot put 75' but they could never run 75' all at once. :D

Bandera YaYa
01-08-2004, 06:07 PM
PPHSfan:

BUDDY:
That is the Scharnberg from Kerville. He came to Atlanta in the late 80's...88 or 89. He has been a very consistent coach in Atlanta over the years, but most of all he always graduates athletes that are good kids. If they do not buy into what he tells them, they do not make it through his program. If you noticed, they only dress out about 25 to 30 varsity players each year. Also, all of his football players run track in the spring. There is a reason for all of the speed they have. THEY WORK ON IT!!!They might all be on the track team, but they don't all "run" track. You are not going to convice me that a couple of those lineman that suck air in between every play could run 100 meters all at once without oxygen. There are a couple of guys on that team that may be able to throw the shot put 75' but they could never run 75' all at once. :D Don't mind PPHfan.....he thinks he knows it all on here... :rolleyes: eek!

Yep, Scharnberg comes from good stock..I graduated with his little sister, who lives in Boerne now. Small world. WEll congrats to him and his team! Thanks for the info!! :)