PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with no AC

Scoop27
08-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Got our AC turned up and working properly today and now it's on the blink as the compressor won't go on. Check breakers outside and they are up. Called our reliable Roberson AC out of Wharton and they are sending somebody out even this late. At least we bought the service plan. Won't be fun sleeping in a hot house tonight. We did get some thunderstorms earlier which could be a factor. If it's not on thing it's another

Necked
08-11-2015, 11:32 PM
my office got hit with a freakin brownout. north houston. Got hot in there real quick...

waterboy
08-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Sounds like you have a bad capacitor most likely. It's happened to me so many times over the years that I've got 2 window units on standby. Once, it turned out to be ants got into a relay switch's contacts. The rain you got was a blessing, and will cool things down considerably. It missed us entirely, popping up about 30 miles south of us.

Scoop27
08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Got our AC back up and running for a whooping $800 bill.

buckeyebob
08-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Got our AC back up and running for a whooping $800 bill.

Be thankful it wasn't serious...

Saggy Aggie
08-12-2015, 09:40 PM
What was life like before air conditioning?

Rocket Man
08-12-2015, 09:49 PM

ALL the women were HOT ! :inlove:

ronwx5x
08-13-2015, 05:59 AM
While I admit I am no longer young, I remember that the first air conditioned room I had was as a freshman in college. This was true for my wife also. It was very uncomfortable sleeping without a/c and we even rode on non a/c equipped buses. I grew up in Ozona and our nearest football game was 36 miles away. Many were 100 miles or more, so that bus ride was miserable. Our jr. high and high schools were not a/c equipped, only the elementary.
Most stores had it but it was never cool enough.

I do not want to go back to that.

maestro
08-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Now that's funny I don't care who you are!!!!

Opps

Forgot to add the quote

maestro
08-13-2015, 11:26 AM
ALL the women were HOT ! :inlove:

Now that's funny I don't care who you are

buckeyebob
08-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Not bad...we didn't know any better. As a kid, my mother had AC in her car & the White Swan Café captured all the "eat out" business with "refrigerated air"...afternoons were spent at the City Pool, cold water melon from the ice house @ my grandparents, swinging on grape vines at the creek in the woods...you got used to the heat...we went bare footed...hot pavement, grass burrs, stumped toes, rocks & glass...it was all good

toddg
08-13-2015, 02:32 PM
my Dad summed it up like this.."you dont miss something you never had" and it got hot in Notrees.

Rabid Cougar
08-13-2015, 03:11 PM
I remember the house was so hot that the metal on the dining room chairs were hot to the touch. Slept with fans in the windows. As was said before, you cannot miss what you did not have.

I have been in some hot places with little or no AC since then. Southern Iraq is hotter than hell as it is it. Saw 120 more times than care to remember and its 25 feet above sea level so its not "dry heat". Then you add 40 pounds of body armor/equipment. You really do get used to it.

Blue42
08-14-2015, 10:57 AM
I remember the house was so hot that the metal on the dining room chairs were hot to the touch. Slept with fans in the windows. As was said before, you cannot miss what you did not have.

I have been in some hot places with little or no AC since then. Southern Iraq is hotter than hell as it is it. Saw 120 more times than care to remember and its 25 feet above sea level so its not "dry heat". Then you add 40 pounds of body armor/equipment. You really do get used to it.

Thank you for your service. Most of us have had to be in the hot at one time but not with chance of our life on the line.:thumbsup: