PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

BIG19
12-12-2002, 11:41 AM
I know there are superstitions in all sports. I would like to know what superstitions, you as fans, have followed throughout the season to help your team along.

My wife laughs at me because I wear the same shirt and hat to all the games. Although I have many school shirts, the one I started with at the beginning of the season is the one I wear to all games, that is until the team looses and them it is time to change.

What are some of yours?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Ever since the song came out, I would listen to it all day on gameday and turn it off during gametime, since I live in the DFW area and most of the time I can't go watch my Port Isabel Tarpons play.

Ironically, the one week that I didn't have the opportunity to listen to it (Thanksgiving week) was the week that Port Isabel lost to Bandera.

The name of the song? It's a rap song, by Mystikal, called "Move B#^ch!"

"Move _____! Get out the way!" :D

pakrat
12-12-2002, 12:04 PM
My wife is more superstitious than I am. If we lose, she won't wear whatever she had on to another game. Also, if we are listening to the game and the radio anouncer says something like, the kicker hasn't missed an extra point all year, she believes that is an automatic hex. I am starting to believe her because I have seen the momentum change when the anouncer starts bragging about my team dominating on offense/defense or some other aspect of the game.

PPHSfan
12-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I have a regiment that I go through every week. Please note that this is MY superstion....get your own :p

Monday:...call other teams local paper and place a classified add. "For Sale: 1969 Camaro, Mint condition, must sell, first $500 bucks drives her home. Call (this is where I insert the other Head Coach's home phone number)

Tuesday:...send roses to the Girlfriend of the other teams Defensive End with a note "please leave that Big Ugly Moron, and come with me"..signed (here is where I insert the name of the other teams starting Quarterback)

Wedenesday...sneak over to the other teams parking lot and start a nasty rumor about the starting Runningback being heavily recruited by Pilot Point.

Thursday...attend the Quarterback Club breakfast..in the other town, disguised as a Pastry Chef wink .(I can only leave you guessing what happens here) eek!

Friday...sleep until four in the afternoon, get up and go to Sonic for onion rings. Attend the game. :D

So far I have had pretty good luck, with 23 playoff appearances in the past 24 years.....Why change a system that works?

snotbubble
12-12-2002, 12:42 PM
I have never gone in for that superstition stuff. Just the other day I got out of bed and tripped over my blind, three-legged dog named Lucky. As I fell, I knocked my wife's make-up mirror off of her vanity, shattering it. While picking up the pieces I noticed that our cat, Blackie, was chewing on my rabbit's foot key chain. I chased Blackie around the house and outside into the yard. As I ran under the ladder that I had left propped against the house while putting up Christmas Lights, my shoulder hit the the ladder, knocking it into the horse shoe that was hanging over the entryway, causing the shoe to fall to the ground and break. I finally caught Blackie by trapping her tail in a crack in the sidewalk with my size 14's.

As I re-entered the house the phone was ringing. It was my father telling me, that my mom had just fallen and broken her back. On the way to hospital I dropped my son off at the field house so he could get ready for that night's game. After visiting with my mom and consoling my dad, I returned home to get dressed for the game. I took a shower and put on my game underwear followed by my right sock and then my left sock. I walked around the bed twice, sat down and changed my socks to the opposite feet. I stood up, did a war whoop and walked to the closet. I put on my game jeans, put on my game shirt, and my game belt. Then I went to the hall closet a put on my game jacket, my game hat, and my game gloves. Then we drove to the stadium.

When we got there my son was in an uproar. He always gets his left ankle taped by Coach Wright and his right ankle taped by Coach Lefty. Coach Lefty was sick, so the tape jobs were all Wright's. I calmed my son down by repeating our family montra for 30 minutes. The game commenced. By some turn of misfortune we lost the coin toss and the rest went downhill from there. With all of these things going on, who has time for silly superstitions? :D

PPHSfan
12-12-2002, 12:52 PM
I am in the presence of Greatness :)

BIG19
12-12-2002, 12:57 PM
I guess we must bow down now. Was that right knee first or left?

snotbubble
12-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Right knee is formal. Left knee is familiar. You decide. wink

Bellville22
12-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Shaving on gameday is as much of a no-no as stepping on the lines in baseball. I always shave neatly and trim goat-t(however you sp. it) the day before a game, usually around noon. And never a haircut on gameday, or fingernail clip (I know y'all wanted to hear that)

Can't wear any Bellville apparel (sp?) to the game, includes BB hat, shirt, even Bellville red. I usually go w/ an off red or maroon, and always my Red Sox hat.

It hasn't jinxed us yet, but I hate it when the Houston Chronicle has article on us on game day. Appreciate the publicity, but it worries me.

That's about it for football. Come baseball season, this list triples in size.

Hey 73 and FormerBB, think it would be good luck if we brought the Halftime Possum from Bryan along this week?

exbccards76'smom
12-12-2002, 02:25 PM
my game day superstition is to wear the same jeans and shirt to every game. When I get to the game, I sit in the same place, with same people so we can yell up a storm. I put on my flashing football beads and pin. When it gets cold, I wear the same sweatshirt to the games. When my son played, he worn the same shirt, jeans, socks and everything on Fridays.

http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/img/Birds_/Birds_Cardinal_walks_prv.gif

HotDawg89
12-12-2002, 03:17 PM
PPHSfan:
I have a regiment that I go through every week. Please note that this is MY superstion....get your own :p

Monday:...call other teams local paper and place a classified add. "For Sale: 1969 Camaro, Mint condition, must sell, first $500 bucks drives her home. Call (this is where I insert the other Head Coach's home phone number)

Tuesday:...send roses to the Girlfriend of the other teams Defensive End with a note "please leave that Big Ugly Moron, and come with me"..signed (here is where I insert the name of the other teams starting Quarterback)

Wedenesday...sneak over to the other teams parking lot and start a nasty rumor about the starting Runningback being heavily recruited by Pilot Point.

Thursday...attend the Quarterback Club breakfast..in the other town, disguised as a Pastry Chef wink .(I can only leave you guessing what happens here) eek!

Friday...sleep until four in the afternoon, get up and go to Sonic for onion rings. Attend the game. :D

So far I have had pretty good luck, with 23 playoff appearances in the past 24 years.....Why change a system that works?What an absolute riot! THanks for a great laugh!!! :)

PPHSfan
12-13-2002, 08:24 PM
bttt...i really thought this thread would get more hits.

MrForneyDude712
12-13-2002, 10:03 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Ever since the song came out, I would listen to it all day on gameday and turn it off during gametime, since I live in the DFW area and most of the time I can't go watch my Port Isabel Tarpons play.

Ironically, the one week that I didn't have the opportunity to listen to it (Thanksgiving week) was the week that Port Isabel lost to Bandera.

The name of the song? It's a rap song, by Mystikal, called "Move B#^ch!"

"Move _____! Get out the way!" :D