PDA

View Full Version : 2015 British Open: Live from St. Andrews

regaleagle
07-15-2015, 09:56 AM
It all happens starting at 12:32 a.m. CDT tonite(midnight) at the cradle of golf.....St. Andrews in Fife, Scotland. They've been swinging golf clubs on the fairways of THE OLDE COURSE here since the 1400's, and St. Andrews officially became golf's first venue in 1552. Many think it's the oldest sport still being played today.....and others are certain it's the finest game ever devised. You can include me in both groups. This year will be Tom Watson's final competition at the British Open, although he says he hopes to be competing in the SENIOR BRITISH OPEN for years to come. At age 65, Watson owns 5 British Open Championships and this year marks the 40th anniversary of his first appearance. Other noteworthy players challenging at the CRADLE OF GOLF this week includes a long list of talented world-class professionals......Jordan Spieth of Dallas, Texas of greatest interest. Jordan has won both of this season's first two majors in the THE MASTERS and THE US OPEN. Should he prevail this week in THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP(British Open), Spieth will need only the final major left, THE PGA PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP, to become the only player to ever capture golf's GRAND SLAM of 4 majors in one year. Bobby Jones won a grand slam of sorts in 1930.....the US Open, the British Open, the US Amateur, and the British Amateur.....before today's modern-day Grand Slam of the 4 majors was established. No other golfer has been able to win all 4 championships in one year.....but Jordan Spieth at age 21 has a chance to do that this year.
Rickie Fowler is coming off a huge career victory in the Scottish Open from last week, and Jordan won for the 4th time last week at the John Deere Classic as well. Dustin Johnston has the game that could contend, and so does former champion Phil Mickelson. Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland, last season's British Open champion, is out for several weeks with a broken ankle he acquired while playing a friendly game of soccer with his buddies. He's only ranked #1 in the world, or maybe #2 behind Spieth.....depending on how you tally the rankings. Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa won this event the last time it was played here at St. Andrews(THE OPEN rotates between 4 courses). He'll be paired in a group with another former champion Tiger Woods and upstart phenom Jason Day. Tiger is trying to make a comeback on the Tour, but many feel he still has much work to do to in his game to get back to the winners podium. Tough times indeed for Tiger right now. Rickie Fowler will be paired with former champion Nick Faldo and his fellow Brit phenom Justin Rose in an interesting grouping. There will be many big names showing up this week to have a go at THE OLDE COURSE here in St. Andrews, and I am pumped to watch all the action. This is basically the "Super Bowl" week in the golf world, and all the tradition will be mixed with all the new to make this year's OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP a good watch. Darkhorses abound.....like Matt Kuchar, Henrik Stenson, and many others. But the weather will play a huge factor as it sometimes does at the British Open. Friday and Saturday are forecasted to be windy and rainy days.....which will factor into how this tournament plays out. Friday should see some horrific scores with the wind howling with 40 mph gusts.....but the OPEN will be played out in its entirety regardless of the weather. I could continue writing about the whos, whats, hows, and wows, but I would suggest just watching as much of the action as possible to get the full flavor of this week's grand stage of golf. AND I'll be pulling for Jordan Spieth, naturally. Tune into the Golf Channel to get all the background info for this year's BRITISH OPEN. It starts just past midnight tonite Central Time here.

regaleagle
07-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Jordan Spieth's grouping of Dustin Johnson and Hideki Matsuyama will be going off at 9:33 am in Scotland, but that will be 3:33 am here in Texas.....for those of you that wish to watch it Live on ESPN starting at 3 am. The Golf Channel will be airing Live from St. Andrews until 3 am....at which time ESPN will begin their coverage of the OPEN.

regaleagle
07-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Other golfers of note to keep a close watch on include Bubba Watson, Sergio Garcia, Adam Scott, Paul Casey, and San Antonio's Jimmy Walker. All these players are enjoying a good year so far, and Sergio was very close to winning at the Open last year.

44INAROW
07-15-2015, 02:18 PM
My husband turned 60 this year and I had always hoped to send him to Scotland to witness a day or 2 at St Andrews.. (since his birthday is in July) but life keeps getting in the way.... Maybe we'll shoot for 65 and all 3 of my boys can go with him.. That would be a dream come true for him... to tee off at St Andrews with all 3 of his boys.... (and little Leo would be 7 by then - so he could 'caddie') :) Hey, I can dream :)

GUNHO
07-16-2015, 07:57 AM
My husband turned 60 this year and I had always hoped to send him to Scotland to witness a day or 2 at St Andrews.. (since his birthday is in July) but life keeps getting in the way.... Maybe we'll shoot for 65 and all 3 of my boys can go with him.. That would be a dream come true for him... to tee off at St Andrews with all 3 of his boys.... (and little Leo would be 7 by then - so he could 'caddie') :) Hey, I can dream :)

Wouldn't that be something.Praying for ya 44.

regaleagle
07-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Looks like the morning tee times(draw, in golf) have benefitted most in Day 1 of the OPEN. The winds came up in the afternoon and made scoring a tad more difficult for those going off after lunch. The roles should be reversed on Day 2 and that's when the weather is supposed to turn ugly. So far, Dustin Johnson has the clubhouse lead at 7 under par. He was paired in the group with Spieth and Matsuyama. Spieth is lurking handily at 5 under. Zach Johnson was one of the few players that had an afternoon tee time today and scored well. He's currently tied for 2nd with 5 others @ 6 under, including Jason Day. Tiger had a nightmare start and finished the day @ 4 over par. His chances of making the cut tomorrow are somewhere between slim and none. His game is nowhere near where it needs to be to compete for another title of any sort, IMHO. But hey.....he's made his zillions, and will get no sympathy from most of the masses, haha. The ongoing media mania Tiger continues to draw is getting mighty old....for being basically a non-factor on the PGA Tour for the past several years. The attention would be better spent for the viewers on some of the other competitors that actually are playing well each week, and particularly in this OPEN. Of course, I'm not a Tiger Woods fan and never have been. You can include me in the group w/Brandel Chamblee of the GOLF CHANNEL in that regard, haha. I would suspect there is quite a few of us in that group. His accomplishments and records in golf are exemplary, but that's about it..... I would not exactly point to him as a role model for the game and for all the good it represents these many centuries. Arnie is the Great Ambassador and Jack is still The King.....but today we have a new hopeful in Jordan Spieth. GO GETEM JORDAN!!!

movethechain
07-16-2015, 05:04 PM
It was outright funny to see the media abandoning the sinking ship of Tiger this morning. That was one embarrassing start to a major golf tournament for a player that continues to be so highly touted above others, who are more deserving, based on more recent results. Yes, he was once the mighty and fierce competitor, but all good things come to an end and for Tiger, his ship has sailed. But, but, but ... he has all the answers to what he needs to change (yet again) to fix everything about his game. If you don't believe it, just ask him. Bwah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha !!!

1st and goal
07-16-2015, 10:32 PM

My grandfather used to manage the Cuero park and golf course back during the great depression.

movethechain
07-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Gone With The Wind. :foul:

regaleagle
07-18-2015, 01:42 PM
They did resume and finish the 2nd round late Saturday in Scotland, with Dustin Johnson leading at -10. The winds finally subsided enough to allow the rest of the field to finish and the cut to become official. Tiger shot a +7 in 2 rounds.....tied at 186th place. Jason Day is at -8, Spieth at -5, Mickelson at -2, Rickie Fowler at -1, to name a few American golfers that were considered to be a contender this year. Looks like the cutline will fall at even par with so many finishing before the high gusts caused a weather delay from yesterday that carried forward thru most of today(Saturday). I doubt whether they will be able to play 36 holes on Sunday, so will probably extend the OPEN to Monday for the final pairings and final round. It is not yet decided whether 36 would be played tomorrow.....we'll have to wait and see what is decided later today.

regaleagle
07-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Round 3 on Sunday has the leaderboard crammed with players within 5 strokes of the lead as the Old Course became benign and windless. Whomever could hit short irons close and make putts the best today moved up on moving day. The latter teetime groupings are all still out on the course right now, so no telling who will be in the lead when the day ends. Spieth is tied for the lead with Dustin Johnson at -10, but there's so many at -9, -8, and -7 that are already finished and some still on the course. There are currently 11 players within one shot of the lead right now.

It's been less than 5 mins. that I last posted this and now 5 players are tied for the lead at 10 under par. Dustin Johnson is in the last group and will be teeing off on the 6th hole, so he has the advantage so far with so many holes left and so many more chances to make birdies. So far he has parred every hole and missed his birdie putts, but that may not be the case for the rest of the round. Of course, he could also bogey or double bogey a hole or two......it's golf. Golf spelled backwards is "flog"......which is what happens when you have a bad day on the course, haha.

Flogging>>>>when you hit it good(you think), but it doesn't end up where you intended it to.

regaleagle
07-19-2015, 01:51 PM
The 3rd Round is now concluded at THE OPEN, and neither Jordan Spieth nor Dustin Johnson is leading. Former OPEN champion Louis Oosthuizen from S. Africa and Jason Day, a thoroughbred golfer from Australia share the lead at 12 under, along with 22 y.o amateur and UAB golfer Paul Dunne from Ireland. Spieth played well and is one back at 11 under after shooting a 66 today. Rickie Fowler made up substantial ground today by also scoring a 66, putting him at 7 under for the tournament. Dustin Johnson had one of the worst rounds of the day as he shot a 75 and fell to 7 under.....5 shots out of the lead. There a so many golfers within 6 or 7 shots of the lead that one would have to give any of them a chance if the leaders falter. A 65 or 66 tomorrow will bode well for a large group of players that are still in contention. If Jordan Spieth can somehow shoot another 66 or better tomorrow, he might just find himself kissing the trophy of his 3rd major of the year.....but not so fast. It's gonna be a wide-open shootout tomorrow on the links at St. Andrews, and there's just no tellin' which golfer will come out on top. It is very possible there may be a tie at the end of regulation, and perhaps a playoff may come into play. Monday golf tomorrow for the British Open.....Go Get Em Jordan!!!

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 06:30 AM
I awoke early this morning at 4:30 to catch the final round of the OPEN and watch it live in its entirety. The shootout is well underway early as the conditions early favor the early teetimes today. Mickelson and American amateur Schneiderjans are off to a running start thru the first 9 holes. Phil is 4 under so far for the round, and Schneiderjans is making everything.....he's 5 under thru 9 holes with a bogey in the mix.....and now 10 under for the tournament. When the afternoon teetimes get here, the weather is supposed to turn ugly.....with high gusts upwards to 40 mph and rain. It is possible that if someone could post an early score in the clubhouse of -14 or so, that score could possibly hold up and win this thing in the end. It will all depend on the weather later today in Scotland. Looks like Dustin Johnson will be teeing off soon and will have an opportunity to play in some of these benign conditions. Will he play more aggressively today with his length advantage? His Achilles Heel is his putting.....it's very average at best.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:04 AM
It's been only 1.5 hours since I last posted and already the weather has turned windy and overcast. Mickelson has finished with a 3 under 69 for a tournament total of -7, and Schneiderjans just finished with a birdie on 18 to end up at -9 for the tournament. That's what they shot in good conditions. Now Sergio Garcia at 9 under is just now teeing off on the first hole. Justin Rose is a hole ahead at the same score. Now the tournament begins. No scores in yet better than the leaders....so far.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Jordan Spieth and Jason Day will be paired together today for this final round, and I believe this pairing will help each player to play well. Padraig Harrington is a former winner and starts this final day only 2 back at 10 under. Amateur Paul Dunne is paired with the other leader Louis Oosthuizen, another former champion, in the final group. Not much being said about Hedeki Matsuyama, but he finished at 10 under yesterday and certainly has the skills to go low. He birdied 5 of the first 6 holes the other day in the windy, rainy conditions to start that 2nd round. At the time, he was paired with Spieth and Dustin Johnson.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:21 AM
The full flavor of THE OPEN has arrived.....it's wet and windy, but not with high gusts....yet. Hold onto your shorts folks.....things are gonna get mighty interesting if you're a golf fanatic. This is the type of scenario all the golfing world has been waiting to see.....with lots of drama and storylines built into this final British Open round. Now here goes Jordan off the first tee. He'll be trying for his 3rd major of the year with a victory today. Ben Hogan in 1953 was the last and ONLY to do it. GO JORDAN!!!

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:26 AM
There are 4 amateurs in this tournament all on the front page of the leaderboard at this point. Let's see how that holds up. The leaders Dunne and Oostenhuizen are now teeing off in the final group as the weather is beginning to quickly deteriorate.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Jordan Spieth birdies the first hole to keep pace with those shooting well today, albeit his birdie was in much worse conditions. He now is tied for the lead at 12 under. Padraig Harrington birdies both the first and 2nd hole to join the leaders at 12 under. Sergio is up ahead a few holes at 11 under and looking at a short birdie putt.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Spieth's playing partner Jason Day started the day as one of the leaders and remains at 12 under after the first hole. There are currently 5 players at 12 under to lead this tournament with all players now teed off.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Louis Oosthuizen makes a testy-length putt on the first green to take sole possession of the lead at 13 under. He's a really fine player and has great touch with the putter. He's also very balanced in his approach and demeanor, and may be THE guy of all the others to beat today. He won't make many self-inflicted mistakes and will play the course wisely. He will let his iron game get him close and take advantage on holes that allow it. His putter is his best weapon, backing up solid iron play to the greens.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Zach Johnson has birdied 3 of the first 5 holes to make an early move to join those at 12 under now. He narrowly missed that eagle putt on #5.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 10:53 AM
This final round is just crammed full of back and forth action on the leaderboard from about 8 golfers. Spieth had a big hiccup of a double bogey and then proceeded to birdie the next 2 holes to get it back to -14......one back of three leaders. Now it's raining harder than it's rained all week. Adam Scott, Mark Leishman, and Zach Johnson share the lead, but Scott found a greenside pot bunker and will probably give one up. It may be whomever gets to the clubhouse first at 15 under will win this thing if the weather continues to get nasty. They may have to sound the horn if the water starts pooling on the greens and makes them unputtable. Not to the point yet though. Leishman just took the lead at -16. He's originally from Australia, but lives in Virginia now. He's been on the tour for quite a few years now and has won some events. He shot a 64 yesterday to vault himself way up the leaderboard.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Spieth and Day are thru 11 holes now, and the final grouping is right behind them a hole. Spieth needs to keep it steady and hope Leishman, Scott, and Zach Johnson falter as the weather is now making birdies hard to come by.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Lots of action here if you are a golfer or just enjoy watching the game. Doesn't get much more dramatic than this.....with all the variables in play now.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:02 AM
They just said that Leishman made the cut by one shot(-1), and now he leads this OPEN.....amazing play the last two rounds. He went from 1 under to 9 under in Round 3, and today he's gone from starting at 9 under to leading at 16 under......just amazing. And he just left another birdie on the lip. Leishman is in "the zone" at the right time. It happens to all the pros, but sometimes it doesn't happen at the right time or the right place in the tournament. And sometimes there are other golfers or an easier condition that prevent the zone play from being a huge factor.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Sergio had a couple of hiccups and has dropped back to 11 under, and Adam Scott just dropped one on a short par putt he missed. Jason Day, Spieth, Oosthuizen, Zach Johnson are all chasing Leader Leishman. Johnson is one back, and Spieth, Day, and Oosthuizen are 2 back. Scott and some others are 3 back. If Leishman does not falter, it will be difficult for anyone to catch him. And the 18th is a birdie hole. The holes are running out quickly.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Amateur Jordan Niebrugge has birdied 4 holes today and has not made a bogey. He's a senior at Okie State and qualified for this Open. He just hit another approach very close to have a short putt to go to 13 under. Unbelievable how these young amateurs are playing in this OPEN.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Zach Johnson bogeys the 17th, but then makes a very long birdie putt on 18 to post his score at 15 under par as the leader in the clubhouse. Now Leishman made a longish par putt to keep his lead at 16 under. He still has 3 holes left.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Leishman hasn't made a bogey in the past 2 rounds yet. Can he par in? The Road Hole #17 is a tough hole to par, esp. today in this inclimate weather.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
The 18th today is NOT playing that easy right now....Zach made a tremendously long putt to birdie it. It will require a close approach to the flag to get a birdie today, but the weather will play a role.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Leishman is in front of Spieth and Day two holes. They still have a chance at 14 under.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Leishman just bunkered his approach shot on 16.....his first off-kilter shot in two days. He has about 30 yds to the pin. and chips it within 3 feet. Outstanding chip. Looks like Leishman is just unflappable right now....everything's working for him. He had a great lie in that bunker.....it was dead center in the middle with plenty of room for clearance.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Wow oh wow.....Leishman just missed that short putt for par. Big hiccup there as he is now tied with Zach Johnson at 15 under and now has to negotiate the tough Road Hole. They call it the most difficult hole in the world. I don't know about that, but it ain't easy to par by any means.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Spieth, Day, and Oostenhuizen remain one back at 14 under. Spieth and Day will be playing the 16th, and Oosthuizen is in the final group behind them. Leishman is playing the 17th now.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Every shot counts for each of these players.....where to hit it to have the best angle to the hole, and where not to hit it that may land in one of the pot bunkers dotting the fairways. Then there's the wind, and the wet conditions to deal with also. Not to mention the pressure that is mounting to get at least one more birdie coming in.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Oosthuizen just hit a bullet into the wind right at the stick on 15 to within 3 feet on his approach. If he makes that he will go to 15 under, tied for the lead with 3 holes left. The putt was longer than I thought.....about 8 feet and he missed it. He'll make a par and stay one back at 14 under.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Jordan Spieth just made an incredible 40 ft. putt on 16 to pull into a tie for the lead......just magical. And right when he needed it.....extraordinarily special. Hard to believe. Now it's Day's turn, but he had to negotiate a ridge to go over. He's short and will par it to stay at 14 under. Day backs off now. He sinks the putt. On to the Road Hole for these two. Leishman gets his par on the Road Hole.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:17 PM
All of this drama happening at the Home of Golf at St. Andrews in Scotland. Will Jordan Spieth hold on to get into a playoff? Will Mark Leishman birdie the 18th? Can Jordan par the tough 17th Road Hole? What about Jason Day and Louis Oosthuizen, both still on the course and both capable of birdies coming in. Lots of drama, even for Zach Johnson in the clubhouse watching all this action.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Leishman is safely on 18 just past the flag with about 15 ft. for birdie.....maybe 20 feet. Spieth has 215 yds to the front for his approach to 17, but it's into the wind. It's a par 4 and is very tough into this wind today. It will be like a 240 yd shot. He's short and right. Leishman was short and right also, but made a great putt approach to within a foot and tapped in his par.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Leishman finishes with a par on 18 to tie for the lead with Zach Johnson. Now it's up to Day, Spieth, and Oostenhuizen still on the course. Spieth is tied for the lead currently, with Day and Oosthuizen both one back.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Spieth has a very tough shot to negotiate here from the rough and at a bad angle to the hole. He hits it to within 6 feet for par. It's a tester for par.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Now Day needs to lob this one close to get within range of a par. He's gonna use the putter from off the green and attempt to roll it over all those slopes. This is a risky shot.....easy to mishit. But unbelievable touch as he puts it inside of Jordan's ball.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Jordan needs this putt....but he misses. He drops a stroke back to 14 under.....and perhaps there goes his 3rd leg of the Grand Slam. He'll have to birdie the 18th now to get into a playoff with Zach and Leishman. Day makes his putt and he's in the exact same position as Spieth. On to the 18th now.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Spieth drives it the farthest left of any golfer today on 18, but it will be his approach shot at the flag that will matter most. Day is down the middle short of the green in good position for his approach, with his ball on an uphill slope.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
How much magic does Jordan have left in his bag? He'll need some on this approach to land it close. The area around the flag is close to a drop-off slope that he cannot afford to hit. He needs to keep the ball on the level putting ground for a chance at birdie. He's about 107 out for this approach.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
He hits it to within 5 feet and it spins back and goes down the slope. There's the problem he didn't overcome. He just needed to put it past the pin instead of pinhigh. Day hits it past the pin and will have a level putt for birdie.....about 15 feet. Spieth's putt will need to go up a steep rise then level out and hit the hole. He has to hit it hard enough to get it past the pin.....a very unlikely scenario to go in.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM
He hits the putt perfectly....only inches right of the cup and taps in for par to end the dream at 14 under. A missed putt on 17 and a mishit sandwedge on 18 was too much to overcome today with all the obstacles in front of him. But still an admirable effort for Jordan Spieth, regardless. Day leaves his birdie try short, and taps in for par to end one back at 14 under like Spieth.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Now only Louis Oosthuizen can tie the leaders with a birdie on 18. He's 14 under and needs a birdie to jump into a tie and get into a playoff with Zach Johnson and Mark Leishman.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:48 PM
He has a short wedge of about 70 yds here, and lays it softly to within 3 feet of the flag. It took one hop and stopped just short of the pin. If he makes that putt(which he should), then he'll be in the playoff as well.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:54 PM
The wind and rain subsided somewhat about 20 minutes ago. There's always some wind, but not gusting like it was. So the playoff will be under "decent" playing conditions. Now Oosthuizen for the tie. About 4-5 feet and it finds the hole. Louis Oosthuizen joins the playoff. Amateur Paul Dunne will putt for bogie to end his round at 7 under for the tournament. On to the playoff.....an aggregate total for holes 17 and 18 again for the individual players.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Johnson and Leishman both shot 66 today, while Oosthuizen shot a 69 to all end at 15 under par. Spieth and Day both just came up short.....as is the way this game goes. Both can hold their heads high in coming up just one stroke short over this weather-impacted weekend of The British Open.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:12 PM
The playoff will be an aggregate total of 4 holes.....1, 2, 17, and 18. On the first hole, Oosthuizen and Johnson both make birdies while Leishman hiccups his par putt as it lips around the hole for a bogie. He's already 2 down with 3 holes left.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Obviously, I'll be pulling for the American golfer Zach Johnson here. He's a past Masters Champion. All three golfers parred the 2nd hole, so now onto the Road Hole #17. This one could cause a hiccup or two.....we'll see. Zach is still in the leadoff position.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Zach Johnson is wearing heavy mittens between shots now. It must be getting mighty cold out there, or at least his hands are getting cold.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Leishman hits his on top, but it rolls back down the big slope and is right of the green. Johnson hits his left onto the double green and will have to pitch over the pot bunker and stop the ball quicly. Oosthuizen is right at the hole but short of being up on top. He has the best position. I don't know how Zach will get his ball close to the flag.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
He'll either gamble and hit a high flop and stop it on a dime, or go left and leave himself a 15-20 ft par putt at best.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:39 PM
He goes with the high pitch and it hits and bounces once before sliding over the back of the green. Now a bogie will be tough....but he went for it. Leishman putts his within 4 feet and that was a long 40 footer. Oosthuizen will putt his up the slope and then it will flatten out. He leaves it 3 feet short.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:44 PM
All three golfers bogie the 17th hole and now it all comes down to 18. Leishman is one shot back.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Leishman needs a birdie or he is out. Johnson and Oosthuizen are playing each other, but really both will try to birdie it as well. All three have short pitches to this flag. Louis could possibly use a putter for his approach. He's right in front of the green only 20 yds. short.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Zach wedges his past the pin and it spins back to within 6 or 8 feet. Leishman hits his just short of the flag and it spins back down the slope like Spieth's did. He's basically in a bad place now. Oosthuizen will have a very difficult high pitch because he's so close. Wow....he flops it and it stops 5 feet past the pin for a great shot.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Leishman's attempt comes us just short and he taps in for par. He's out now. Zach and Louis both have makeable birdie attempts. Zach is out so he will go first.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 01:59 PM
This one appears to be about 10 feet.....and it slides just right of the hole. Now Oosthuizen has his attempt for the tie. His putt is actually about 8 feet out and not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination. Here he goes......and it slides left of the hole as he played for it to break slightly. Zach Johnson wins the British Open.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 02:05 PM
It's been 8 years since Zach Johnson won his first major at the Masters. He now owns another major to his credit at the birthplace of this game.....The British Open at The Old Course at St. Andrews in Scotland. He's one overwhelmed and happy golfer right now. That long birdie putt on the 72nd hole was the capper to a great week and great round that helped him capture Golfer of the Year and the Claret Jug. That's what the inscription on the jug says: "Golfer of the Year".

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Another American will also be receiving an award in this Open. Low amateur honors goes to Jordan Niebrugge(the Okla. State senior) with a masterful tournament total of 11 under par, just edging out fellow American Schneiderjans by two strokes. Both players will undoubtedly be turning pro sometime soon.

regaleagle
07-20-2015, 02:30 PM
It was definitely a "SuperGolf Weekend" for me, and lived up to all the media hype interjected.....mainly because of Jordan Spieth. Although Jordan fell just one stroke short in his attempt at history, he did play with a fervor and resolve that was exhilarating to watch. He carried his quest all the way to the 72nd hole....just missing the playoff. Hats off to both Zach Johnson and Jordan Spieth for a thrilling end to this year's British Open.