PDA

View Full Version : El Campo 7 On 7 Story

Scoop27
06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
From The Victoria Advocate
El Campo's Ernie Arrambide and Brock Brandl saw the play unfold before it happened. The Ricebird players called a hot route in Thursday's 7-on-7 tournament title game against Victoria East, leaving Brandl wide open for the game-winning, 28-yard touchdown strike from Arrambide.

"It felt beautiful," Arrambide said.

And it easily could have been the other way around - Brandl throwing to Arrambide - because just more than a month before fall practice, Arrambide and Brandl are battling for the starting quarterback position. They both played quarterback and receiver in Thursday's tournament, which ended in a 20-13 win over East at Memorial Stadium.

"It's all good either way," Brandl said. "Because either way, we're going to help out our team any way we can, receiver, quarterback, whatever it is."

Arrambide, a senior, and Brandl, a junior, alternated series throughout the tournament. Arrambide threw two touchdowns in the championship game, and Brandl added a third while both players caught several passes as receivers.

Head coach Wayne Condra said both quarterback hopefuls already have the most important quality for the job.

"Their leadership has been really great," said Condra, who moves from defensive coordinator to head coach this season. "And I think that's the main ingredient, their leadership."

Neither Arrambide nor Brandl would allow their teammates to slack, even in a 7-on-7 setting that may allow athletes to relax with coaches not allowed to instruct players. The Ricebirds instead chose to enter the tournament with focus.

"I'm competitive," Arrambide said. "I'm one competitive person, and I hate losing."

Against East, Arrambide and Brandl spent their time on the sideline thinking of ways to get better.

"I want to improve on my throwing, because I overthrew a lot of people in this 7-on-7 game," Arrambide said.

Brandl discussed improving a team chemistry that already appears solid.

"I want to work on making relationships with the guys and making connections with them so we're on the same page the whole time," Brandl said.

Condra wasn't too critical of his quarterbacks after the game, not even the overthrows.

"Those are things that can be corrected," Condra said of Arrambide. "The throws he missed, he missed in good spots. He made throws where only our guys can catch it."

Last year's Ricebirds went 11-2, falling in Class 4A, Division I regional semifinals to eventual state champion Navasota. The El Campo baseball team, on which Brandl was a designated hitter, followed in the spring with a run to the state semifinals.

No matter the sport, Brandl said it's always about the team, not individual successes and failures.

"We're not a selfish team," Brandl said. "We take mistakes and fix them, fix our mistakes as much as we can and help each other out."

The results spoke for themselves. Arrambide pumped his fist after the game-winning TD, and Brandl yelled in jubilation. The teammates then ran toward each other, leaped and shoulder-bumped at midfield.

"It was a tight battle back and forth, and our kids, they made some plays when they needed to," Condra said.

Condra may say the same thing after choosing El Campo's next starting quarterback.

XMan
06-28-2015, 08:12 AM
The El Campo boys have been playing some great summer baseball. Scoop, get out there and write an article about all the Wharton county summer baseball programs.