PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum 7 On 7 Story

Scoop27
06-27-2015, 03:10 PM
From the Victoria Advocate
YOAKUM - Silas Robinson moved from La Vernia to Yoakum this summer after his father, Bo, became the Bulldogs' athletic director and head football coach in March.

But Robinson, who will be a sophomore, won't have to wait until football practice begins in August to become acquainted with his new teammates.

Robinson is a member of Yoakum's 7-on-7 team, and he's enjoying the experience.

"It's been a good way to get to know everybody and get going," he said. "They're a good group of guys. Any chemistry we can get together, facing adversity together and winning games is just going to make us better for Friday nights."

Yoakum qualified for the Division II (Class 4A, 3A and 2A) state tournament at the recent Burnet tournament.

The Bulldogs will be making their third appearance at the state tournament, which is scheduled for July 9-10 at the Veterans Park and Athletic Complex in College Station.

Yoakum also qualified for state in 2011 and 2013.

La Vernia didn't play 7-on-7, but Robinson has stepped right in at Yoakum, sharing quarterback duties with sophomore Josh Moore and playing receiver.

"You're getting to know your new teammates," said Yoakum 7-on-7 coach Mike McCracken. "Especially with a new quarterback. They're not used to him."

McCracken has coached the Yoakum 7-on-7 team for eight seasons.

He's being assisted this season by his son, Blake, who played on the 2011 state tournament team.

"The kids are out here competing," Mike McCracken said. "I always say you find out who your playmakers are in 7-on-7."

Moore has been a playmaker for the Bulldogs at receiver and quarterback, and will likely play both positions in the upcoming season.

"I'm building chemistry with Silas when I'm at receiver," Moore said. "It's just getting a head start on the season."

Yoakum qualified for the state tournament by defeating Taylor 48-32 in the semifinal game in Burnet.

The Bulldogs led 31-26 at halftime before taking control in the second half.

"We regrouped," Moore said. "We talked it out. We figured out our mistakes and came back and fixed it."

Bo Robinson plans to install a new defense for the upcoming season.

The Bulldogs are preparing by incorporating a lot of man coverage in their 7-on-7 defense.

"We just need to keep working hard," said Moore, who also plays cornerback. "We need to get mentally stronger and better, and we'll be fine."

The Bulldogs have only four seniors playing 7-on-7, which bodes well for the future.

"I think we've got a really good chance to do something special," Silas Robinson said. "We've got a really good group of guys, especially our class. I like our chances."

Notes

Yoakum is the only area team to have qualified for the state tournament.

Bay City, Cuero, Goliad and Louise will attempt to do so Thursday at the Kingsville state qualifying tournament.

Cuero and Goliad are also scheduled to join Victoria West, Victoria East, El Campo, Refugio and St. Joseph for a practice tournament at 6 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Stadium and the track practice field.