PDA

View Full Version : Bird to leave Ganado for Bangs head football coach-AD

Scoop27
06-26-2015, 12:04 PM
From The Victoria Advocate

Ganado is likely to have a new athletic director and head football coach next season.

Jim Bird hasn't officially resigned, but he appears poised to become the athletic director and head football coach at Bangs.

Ganado Superintendent John Hardwick said Thursday he was aware of what was happening, but had not received a letter of resignation from Bird or any of his assistant coaches.

"I haven't received any kind of resignations and to my knowledge, they haven't signed contracts," Hardwick said. "So officially nothing has happened."

Attempts to reach Bird by phone for comment were unsuccessful Thursday.

But on his voicemail, Bird identified himself as "the head football coach and athletic director at Bangs High School."

The Ganado school district board of trustees met Thursday night, but took no action on the position of athletic director and head football coach.

"We're aware of something going through the motions and heading in that direction," Hardwick said.

Bird came to Ganado in 2013 and was the defensive coordinator under Jimmy Thompson.

Bird took over as athletic director and head football coach in January of 2014 when Thompson resigned.

Ganado had a 3-7 record last season and went 2-3 in District 15-2A, Division I.

The Indians finished in a three-way tie for third, but missed the playoffs under the district's points formula.

Bird's contract at Ganado was renewed in February and runs through the 2016-2017 school year.

Bird had coached a Groveton, his alma mater, and Waller before coming to Ganado.