PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Spieth: Can you think of a better role model champion in golf?

regaleagle
06-21-2015, 10:57 PM
The US Open, the 115th US Open at the 7 yr. old Chambers Bay Course in Oregon, was pure drama all week and especially today. Jordan Spieth comes out on top as he wins his 2nd major of the year at age 21. Jordan is the youngest Open winner since Bobby Jones, and the youngest to ever win the first two majors of the year.....among many other notable historical records. Speaking of records, he has already set so many in his young career that the list is beginning to get lengthy. But the most noteworthy accolade this poster could mention is the way Jordan Spieth handles himself on and off the course, and in front of the media. I'm a very avid follower of golf, and have followed Jordan since his early junior golf days in Dallas. I think most of us will agree that he is certainly a young man that exemplifies the best in what most of us would like to see for a sports star. With this win he has just become the most recognized figure leading the PGA Tour and will supplant Rory McIlroy as the #1 player in the world. I'm happy to say he is from Texas and representing our state in a great fashion. Congrats to Jordan Spieth and his parents. Today they are realizing all the dreams that were only imagined thru all the years of sacrifice. Good Stuff today at the US Open.....real life drama in sport. Dustin Johnson had his chances all day to claim this title, but on the 18th green he 3-putted from 12 feet for a PAR.....that's right, a par. Had he made the 12-footer he would have EAGLED the 18th and won the tournament. But it just wasn't to be yet for DJ, although he too is a great young talent that should win some majors before he is done. But today belongs to Jordan Spieth......he did was he needed to do to win this Open and now it's on to the next major later this summer at the British Open.

regaleagle
06-21-2015, 11:13 PM
The post-game interview is airing now and will be replayed on The Golf Channel for all those that may be interested. It is definitely a worthwhile interview to view....esp. if you are an avid golf fan. But even if you aren't......just listen and watch how this young 21 y.o. answers the tough questions with great awareness and sensibilities. He's a very impressive individual and most assuredly a very special talent in the world of golf.

hookandladder
06-22-2015, 06:53 AM
The post-game interview is airing now and will be replayed on The Golf Channel for all those that may be interested. It is definitely a worthwhile interview to view....esp. if you are an avid golf fan. But even if you aren't......just listen and watch how this young 21 y.o. answers the tough questions with great awareness and sensibilities. He's a very impressive individual and most assuredly a very special talent in the world of golf.

Spieth is what you call a role model and how you live your life when success comes at an early age, amazing young man however you do not need to look far to see why. His parents, family and his up bring says it all. Hookem.

Aesculus gilmus
06-22-2015, 06:57 AM
I agree with Charles Barkley on this. Athletes are not our role models. If Spieth goes all "Tiger Woods" (or already has and just keeps it private better) in terms of his personal life, it's not going to affect me and it shouldn't affect the youth one way or the other. Everyone is free to live his or her own life in his or her own way and then is obligated to face the consequences of whatever actions taken.

The reason Woods' behavior through the years was so shocking is that golf is such a staid affair, so to speak. It is amazing to me anyone watches it on TV. You are literally sitting there watching grass grow (although it's not growing all that well right now at that course where the U.S. Open was held).

One of the best decisions I made in my life (aside from stopping a bad habit as I realized "buzzed living is drunk living") was quitting golf at the age of 23. I played a lot before that. If you had told me when I was a teen that I would give up golf just a few years into adulthood, I'd have never believed you.

Our local country club where I used to play has been having financial problems. I think this is related to the fact there's not much of a middle class anymore. Golf has been priced out of most people's budgets.

hookandladder
06-22-2015, 08:29 AM
I agree with Charles Barkley on this. Athletes are not our role models. If Spieth goes all "Tiger Woods" (or already has and just keeps it private better) in terms of his personal life, it's not going to affect me and it shouldn't affect the youth one way or the other. Everyone is free to live his or her own life in his or her own way and then is obligated to face the consequences of whatever actions taken.

The reason Woods' behavior through the years was so shocking is that golf is such a staid affair, so to speak. It is amazing to me anyone watches it on TV. You are literally sitting there watching grass grow (although it's not growing all that well right now at that course where the U.S. Open was held).

One of the best decisions I made in my life (aside from stopping a bad habit as I realized "buzzed living is drunk living") was quitting golf at the age of 23. I played a lot before that. If you had told me when I was a teen that I would give up golf just a few years into adulthood, I'd have never believed you.

Our local country club where I used to play has been having financial problems. I think this is related to the fact there's not much of a middle class anymore. Golf has been priced out of most people's budgets.

I have always liked Barkley for speaking his mine but do not always agree with his opinion, I am not saying you have to have a role model to be successful or live your life to certain standards however I am a firm believer that the apply normally does not fall far from the tree, role models are not for all. Hookem.

New Taiton
06-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Spieth is what you call a role model and how you live your life when success comes at an early age, amazing young man however you do not need to look far to see why. His parents, family and his up bring says it all. Hookem.

Agree 100%. His best quality is his humbleness. I'm a huge Jordan Speith fan and hope for many more victories for the young man.

New Taiton
06-22-2015, 09:16 AM

I took up golf in my late 20's and it's the most fun I have on a weekly basis, outside of catching fat trout. Golf is a game where young and old, strong and weak, big and small all have a fair chance to compete against each other. It's a sport that will allow me and my dad play with my children and his grandchildren.

And at the end of the day, now that all of us hasbeens are old and fat, standing over a 4' putt to win a round surrounded by a small gallery of local club patrons still gives me the butterflies of competition from my youth. And that is the one reason I hope to play forever.

greendawg84
06-22-2015, 10:39 AM

Golfnow.com We played yesterday for $10.00 per person at Lighthouse Golf Club . All 3 boys and Dad for less than 50 bucks !

44INAROW
06-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Golfnow.com We played yesterday for $10.00 per person at Lighthouse Golf Club . All 3 boys and Dad for less than 50 bucks !

I agree Greendawg. all 3 of my boys are avid golfers- the youngest plays minimum of 4 times a week and damn near every weekend (unless it's raining, then they sit in the clubhouse and 'socialize') Very reasonable green fees at Cuero Municipal... My middle son lives in central Florida, he plays the NICE courses and does fork out $$$$$... I guess it's all about choices.. I'm proud to say my boys are into golfing.. It keeps the 3 of them connected, even with 1,500 miles separating them. Looking forward to the annual Cuero Country Club tourney - weekend of August 8th.. I'll have all 3 of my boys here, along with the grandchildren.. That's why I secretly love golf - it brings my grandson to Texas from Florida :)

Macarthur
06-22-2015, 11:03 AM
He's a good kid and a ton of fun to watch play.

jason
06-22-2015, 11:09 AM

That's the one in Kingsland, right? Good, fun course.

caleb_mccaig
06-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Tiger Woods is the GOAT and always will be. There will never be someone as dominate as he was during his prime. I honestly don't like Spieth all that much, he seems "too clean" to me, but that may end to be just who he is, I.E. Lebron. He isn't outspoken at all and he isn't much a personality on the course. That's why I've always liked Tiger, he's a competitor and has never been afraid to show it while he's playing. To me, Spieth is a boring character and he's a a robot when he's interviewed. He won't ever call anyone out or cause any controversy. It's just boring to me.

greendawg84
06-22-2015, 12:19 PM

Yes it is , man it is in great shape now !

hollywood
06-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Nothing against Speith, but I sure was pulling for D. Johnson. To have that 12 footer for eagle and then end up 3 putting for par just makes it that much more disappointing for the fans and especially D. Johnson. The 2 shots that got him on the green on 18 were phenomenal! Then to 3 put from within a 12 foot circle... Man he was so close.

hollywood
06-22-2015, 02:07 PM
I took up golf in my late 20's and it's the most fun I have on a weekly basis, outside of catching fat trout. Golf is a game where young and old, strong and weak, big and small all have a fair chance to compete against each other. It's a sport that will allow me and my dad play with my children and his grandchildren.

And at the end of the day, now that all of us hasbeens are old and fat, standing over a 4' putt to win a round surrounded by a small gallery of local club patrons still gives me the butterflies of competition from my youth. And that is the one reason I hope to play forever.

Golf is one of the best sports in the world. It doesn't take a ton of money to get started or play if you know what you're doing.

caleb_mccaig
06-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Golf is one of the best sports in the world. It doesn't take a ton of money to get started or play if you know what you're doing.

I've had the same set of clubs for about 10 years now. Still work fine.

hollywood
06-23-2015, 10:24 PM
I've had the same set of clubs for about 10 years now. Still work fine.

Same here! I actually bought a new driver about 5 years ago. Some of my friends HAVE to have the latest and greatest golf equipment. Usually doesn't help their game at all. Lol

jason
06-25-2015, 03:38 PM
The three of us should go play some time.
I'm better at drinking beer than golfing though...

Saggy Aggie
06-25-2015, 07:39 PM

I know someone who used to work there. Lives on lake LBJ. Man that area is awesome

hollywood
06-25-2015, 10:50 PM
The three of us should go play some time.
I'm better at drinking beer than golfing though...

Let's do it! I used to play a lot. I like beer almost as much as golf... Actually depends on the day. Sometimes more.

jason
06-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Let's do it! I used to play a lot. I like beer almost as much as golf... Actually depends on the day. Sometimes more.
I'm free this weekend - mornings are good. Can probably find a good deal at lastminutegolfer.com or golfnow.com for Legends CC