PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Wells Rams players take a stand

bearbear78
06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
http://m.mineralwellsindex.com/news/players-in-protest/article_eee15efe-0fc7-11e5-a49d-23393370c1e8.html?mode=jqm

mwrams
06-11-2015, 02:57 PM
One of these players is my nephew. At first I had mixed feelings on this as I was always taught the Coach is always right. But after learning what transpired behind closed doors I must say the kids should be commended for standing up for what is wrong. One of these players is an All State selection. ESPN around the Horn is going to do a story on this.

toddg
06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Football IS NOT a democracy..if the coach decides to name his son the QB..his son is the QB..this isnt peewee football..sometimes life isnt fair..welcome to the real world!

mwrams
06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Football IS NOT a democracy..if the coach decides to name his son the QB..his son is the QB..this isnt peewee football..sometimes life isnt fair..welcome to the real world!

We all know that...however, keep in mind...without those players involved I guarantee the coach will have an 0-10 record on his resume in this district...as will his son at QB.

toddg
06-11-2015, 03:17 PM
One of these players is my nephew. At first I had mixed feelings on this as I was always taught the Coach is always right. But after learning what transpired behind closed doors I must say the kids should be commended for standing up for what is wrong. One of these players is an All State selection. ESPN around the Horn is going to do a story on this.

if something unethical happened "behind closed doors" then the school board, supt., and principle needs to investigate to remedy the situation..not ESPN

mwrams
06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
if something unethical happened "behind closed doors" then the school board, supt., and principle needs to investigate to remedy the situation..not ESPN

ESPN is just discussing it, not making any judgment. The kids were allowed to address the School Board and the Supt. a couple of days ago. Which they did in a very professional manner. The board listened. As far as I know the Coach has declined to make any comment.

toddg
06-11-2015, 03:28 PM
ESPN is just discussing it, not making any judgment. The kids were allowed to address the School Board and the Supt. a couple of days ago. Which they did in a very professional manner. The board listened. As far as I know the Coach has declined to make any comment.

the coach declining to comment is bothersome..he may need some boxes soon.

mwrams
06-11-2015, 04:03 PM
watching ESPN around the horn now...we shall see...

mwrams
06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/news/wounds-mend-as-nine-players-return-to-rams-football-program/article_76e40bf6-1083-11e5-b77e-ebbe8a84f6c5.html

Evidently it has been worked out.

bobcat1
06-11-2015, 06:33 PM
http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/news/wounds-mend-as-nine-players-return-to-rams-football-program/article_76e40bf6-1083-11e5-b77e-ebbe8a84f6c5.html

Evidently it has been worked out.

I bet the coach's son is still QB1 when all is said and done. Always has been that way and always will.

toddg
06-11-2015, 07:01 PM
I bet the coach's son is still QB1 when all is said and done. Always has been that way and always will.
Maybe the coach's son is the better QB..but, if he is not, I hope he is smart enough to be ok with that..im glad the young men will be playing this fall.

bearbear78
06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Let's hope this doesn't start a trend is my first thought. There's an area between hurt feelings and doing what's right and standing up and I think in this case it's a thin area and these boys honestly stood up for what's right. I also agree with the statement that it's how its always been and always will be, but I've witnessed it quite a few times when coaches decide to coach this way vs. putting the right kid in the right spot no matter who they are or who mommy and daddy are , they can't finish on the big stage or even consistent deep playoff runs. Have to coach with an unbiased mindset, IMHO. If I was going to join my team in protesting this I would be 100% prepared to not play another game of HS football, there's no way these boys are going to have the kind of relationship with this coach they wanted but did not have. He will likely be bitter , resulting in an even bigger wedge as the season progresses.....my 50 cents worth

mwrams
06-11-2015, 09:17 PM
One of these kids rushed for over a 1000 yards last season. One DB was selected 1st Team All State last year...3 were All District players. And I have seen them in 7 on 7....The kid not being given a chance is heads over heels the better QB. That kid can flat play.

regaleagle
06-11-2015, 09:41 PM
It won't be the first time that a new coach came in with his son and didn't perform well the first season. Sounds like some natural resentment from team members that felt the hometown qb would have changed the way last season went, and now they don't want the same result again this season. There's really no allegiance for the new coach, he's only been there one year and MW had a losing season. As a backup last year, the coach's son must have got some playing time but was not very effective. Maybe Guinn would not have been very effective either last season. But I do understand the players asking and expecting the coach to consider Guinn in a battle for the position. I guess the coach thinks Guinn would be a better fit for the team at wideout.....and who knows, he could be right! In that scenario, the coach would consider a battle for the starting job at qb to be a losing proposition for at least one of the players. Maybe he'd rather have both players starting and playing key roles on the offense at the same time, and that's why he took the stance he did.

Saggy Aggie
06-11-2015, 09:59 PM

This kind of thinking is the problem.

You put the best player on the field, not your son.

Too many teams under performing because they've got coaches kids starting. A lot of coaches will never admit it even if they know they've got someone better on the sideline.

Tough situation to be in for a coach. Maybe I'd do the same, hard to say.

When the players think it's Bullcrap, it's prolly Bullcrap. Usually the other kids aren't willing to say anything though....

cookiemonster
06-11-2015, 10:04 PM
I know nothing of this situation but what I do know is a Coach is gunna play his kids in the best spot to give his team the best chance to win. For what ever reason Coach Perry feels his son gives them the best chance to be successful at QB. I could care less what the board thinks about the situation. Im under contract as the AD/Head Football Coach and you can fire me if you want but this decision is mine to make and I'm gunna make it. Gunna be tough to make this situation work. If he had his guy it will cost him half the reps the rest of the way and will effect his play. If the other kid can move to WR if not QB it has now put his development on hold.

cookiemonster
06-11-2015, 10:09 PM
What if your son is the best player but he has just moved to town and the hometown people could care less if he is better HE AINT MINERAL WELLS BORN. Two sides to every story. Not saying this is the case but I watched it in my own home town and am still embarrased how they treated the Head Coaches Family because his kid started over a local boy.

ICML
06-11-2015, 10:19 PM
*Preface, I am from Graham and do not know anyone from Mineral Wells on a personal level*

With that said, the kid they are short changing finished 11th out of 64 QB's at the Dallas Cowboys High School QB Challenge. It's not like this kid sucks and does not deserve the right to at least be able to compete for the position. The coach naming his kid the starter without an open competition to allow this obviously talented kid to compete is ridiculous. Hats off to all of those kids who stood up for what is right!

cookiemonster
06-11-2015, 10:44 PM
ICML where did you find that information? I have been looking but couldnt find much. It did say that they would announce the Elite 8 but couldn't find anything after the top 8.

ICML
06-11-2015, 11:17 PM
ICML where did you find that information? I have been looking but couldnt find much. It did say that they would announce the Elite 8 but couldn't find anything after the top 8.

Without giving up too much information, we go to a lot of tournaments/camps. :thumbsup:

FB-fanatic
06-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Coach Perry played on Lorena's State championship team in 1987, then returned to Lorena to coach from '93-'96 while he continued his studies at Baylor to earn his Masters. He went on to become AD at Bastrop and got to see him turn that team into winners and got to see him and his team in a playoff game in Waco.

Saggy Aggie
06-12-2015, 07:30 AM
If the coaches kid is the best player, then by all means start him.

But it sounds like a good percentage of the players on the team disagree...

greendawg84
06-12-2015, 08:13 AM
the coach declining to comment is bothersome..he may need some boxes soon.

He WILL need boxes soon .

Not picking sides but now what every time they dont like something they set up a meeting with the School Board ?

Rabid Cougar
06-12-2015, 10:20 AM
When is the last time you didn't see a head coach/AD's son in high school NOT dressed and on the sideline on Friday nights? Maybe doing nothing more than charting plays but the kid will be there. Football is not a democracy. You do what the coach tells you or you can sit on the bench or in the stands. I know it sucks for the kids on the team but Greendawg is correct. The school board should have never gotten involved.

toddg
06-12-2015, 11:03 AM
This kind of thinking is the problem.

You put the best player on the field, not your son.

Too many teams under performing because they've got coaches kids starting. A lot of coaches will never admit it even if they know they've got someone better on the sideline.

Tough situation to be in for a coach. Maybe I'd do the same, hard to say.

When the players think it's Bullcrap, it's prolly Bullcrap. Usually the other kids aren't willing to say anything though....

MW hired him to turn their program around, they made some progress in that direction in his first season last year..it is his job to make those dicisions! period!
TEAMme! if the MW folks dont like the way he coaches, then fire him and start over..again..next time hire a coach that doesnt have kids.

1st and goal
06-12-2015, 11:18 AM
right is always right, and wrong is always wrong,..... usually.
I side with the players this time. Favoritism out the window. tough position for coach, son, and players.
If the coach chooses wrong, send him packing. What's more important, son getting a scholarship or the coach having a job next year? That is the coach's decision.
Give both kids a chance. See who ends up with the stats in pre-season.

Matthew328
06-12-2015, 11:51 AM
There's a lot going into this...

In the REAL world if I'm hiring someone for a position there's no way HR would allow me to promote one guy without even interviewing other candidates. Coach Perry gave his son the QB job and from all accounts didnt even allow another kid to "interview" ie compete for the position. No way that flies in the "real" world....so comparing HS football to the real world is a stretch....

Coach Perry probably should have done some homework on Mineral Wells as a town before taking this job....ESPECIALLY considering his kid is a QB....anyone remember Kelly West and him taking his son to Gainesville? That was because he was run out of Mineral Wells....history repeating itself...

Knowing that past Perry made a grave mistake not at least having some sort of competition for the QB job...he's put himself in hot water and basically had a team mutiny...the kids basically have called his bluff and he's blinked..he's basically had whatever authority he had almost totally stripped because now those kids got their way...right or wrong...Perry could have taken a hard line stance but they likely would have had a bad year....so he lets the kids come back but now he comes out looking very weak.....my guess is he won't be in Mineral Wells very long after the season ends

mwrams
06-12-2015, 12:08 PM
This is not like the Kelly West scenario. Coach West son was clearly the better athlete. That incident was the result of a single parent that thought her son was an All Star which was not the case. I have watched the coaches son as well as the Guinn kid and the Guinn kid is undoubtedly the better QB. Sometimes the boss is not always right. Coach Perry was already putting in resumes at the end of last season and these players knew it. This group of players only lost one game their Freshman year with Guinn at QB and that was to powerhouse Aledo. Maybe, they see their winning chances better with Guinn at QB....After all Graham is in this district and you cant blame the players for wanting the best athletes on the field.

toddg
06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
There's a lot going into this...

In the REAL world if I'm hiring someone for a position there's no way HR would allow me to promote one guy without even interviewing other candidates. Coach Perry gave his son the QB job and from all accounts didnt even allow another kid to "interview" ie compete for the position. No way that flies in the "real" world....so comparing HS football to the real world is a stretch....

Coach Perry probably should have done some homework on Mineral Wells as a town before taking this job....ESPECIALLY considering his kid is a QB....anyone remember Kelly West and him taking his son to Gainesville? That was because he was run out of Mineral Wells....history repeating itself...

Knowing that past Perry made a grave mistake not at least having some sort of competition for the QB job...he's put himself in hot water and basically had a team mutiny...the kids basically have called his bluff and he's blinked..he's basically had whatever authority he had almost totally stripped because now those kids got their way...right or wrong...Perry could have taken a hard line stance but they likely would have had a bad year....so he lets the kids come back but now he comes out looking very weak.....my guess is he won't be in Mineral Wells very long after the season ends

exactly.

toddg
06-12-2015, 12:39 PM
This is not like the Kelly West scenario. Coach West son was clearly the better athlete. That incident was the result of a single parent that thought her son was an All Star which was not the case. I have watched the coaches son as well as the Guinn kid and the Guinn kid is undoubtedly the better QB. Sometimes the boss is not always right. Coach Perry was already putting in resumes at the end of last season and these players knew it. This group of players only lost one game their Freshman year with Guinn at QB and that was to powerhouse Aledo. Maybe, they see their winning chances better with Guinn at QB....After all Graham is in this district and you cant blame the players for wanting the best athletes on the field.

do you know what was on the undercover recording?

Cam
06-12-2015, 12:41 PM
....this is all Greendawg's fault!.....:D

Matthew328
06-12-2015, 01:11 PM

It's not the exact same scenario as West but there are tie ins to both...simply having that perspective going in when accepting the job would have been helpful for Perry

greendawg84
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
....this is all Greendawg's fault!.....:D

Innocent until proven guilty ! You ever been to Mineral Smells ? Man that is one ugly town with one bad a$$ football stadium !

movethechain
06-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Uh-oh, now you are talking about Football being part of a Democracy. ;)

toddg
06-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Uh-oh, now you are talking about Football being part of a Democracy. ;)
apparantly it is in MW....touche:wave:

toddg
06-12-2015, 04:54 PM
It's not the exact same scenario as West but there are tie ins to both...simply having that perspective going in when accepting the job would have been helpful for Perry
Ernest T Bass warned him last year..

mwrams
06-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Heck, warn me...I'll coach here for $80,000 a year. That aint bad scratch....

mwrams
06-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Mineral Wells must not be that bad of a place to live....David Bourquin former head coach, Chuck Curtis Former AD (4 Time State Champion coach) both reside here.
Alvin Garrett former Washington Redskins
Shane Macannaly CMA Songwriter of the year
Aubrey Huff San Francisco Giants
Richard Richie Texas A &I College Football Hall of fame
Frank Bevers Highland Park State Champion Head Coach
Catnip Nelson Head BB coach for over 35 years at Bay City

All from Mineral Wells

toddg
06-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Mineral Wells must not be that bad of a place to live....David Bourquin former head coach, Chuck Curtis Former AD (4 Time State Champion coach) both reside here.
Alvin Garrett former Washington Redskins
Shane Macannaly CMA Songwriter of the year
Aubrey Huff San Francisco Giants
Richard Richie Texas A &I College Football Hall of fame
Frank Bevers Highland Park State Champion Head Coach
Catnip Nelson Head BB coach for over 35 years at Bay City

All from Mineral Wells
Never said MW was a bad place to live..I happen to like it there! Just seems to be a "dead mans curve" for football coaches.. I hope they have a good season regardless who is QB

Tink4392
06-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Not gonna lie, being from Graham, I like the last by of this comment!

cookiemonster
06-13-2015, 10:15 PM
I can gaurantee you I wouldn't and I hope this isnt the case here. I have coached for 20 years and never seen a coach put his son in a position or on the field when he shouldn't be. Maybe I'm naive but I just can't see this being the case. You risk a lot if it is, including putting your son in a no win situation that he doesnt need to be in.

toddg
09-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Apparently the coaches son won the QB job..noticed he had 300 yds passing last week..the other young man was at the receiving end on some of those passes..Nice to see things got worked out.

mwrams
09-03-2015, 04:34 AM
Apparently the coaches son won the QB job..noticed he had 300 yds passing last week..the other young man was at the receiving end on some of those passes..Nice to see things got worked out.

Tritstian Perry...over 300 yards, threw for 6 touchdowns in a double overtime thriller vs Bridgeport.

Gontex
09-03-2015, 07:44 PM
One of these kids rushed for over a 1000 yards last season. One DB was selected 1st Team All State last year...3 were All District players. And I have seen them in 7 on 7....The kid not being given a chance is heads over heels the better QB. That kid can flat play.

So that makes them smarter than the coach? Coach's job is on the line so he should be able to play whomever he picks. Sounds like a bunch of entitled children.