PDA

View Full Version : Softball - Blocking the Plate

FB-fanatic
06-08-2015, 09:38 PM
May have already been discussed, but have you guys seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO5l4J6TRkE

State tourney. I say she has been taught this by a coach.

waterboy
06-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Which teams were these? Was anything said to the other team, or the catcher? If there is not a play at the plate, the catcher has no right to block the plate, and to elbow an opposing player is just downright dirty, in my opinion. I might would feel differently if it were not intentional, but this was obvious, and showed poor sportsmanship.

slpybear the bullfan
06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Huffman and Needville?

Looks like an easy ejection call to make. I would probably tack on a suspension to go with it.

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Umpire was in bad location and he didn't see it.
Yes, the catcher should have been ejected at least by baseball standards. Had the runner slid and took her out, she would have.

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2015, 10:27 AM
May have already been discussed, but have you guys seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO5l4J6TRkE

State tourney. I say she has been taught this by a coach.

Hard to say the elbow was taught by the coach.

44INAROW
06-09-2015, 10:43 AM
I wish we could hear from the catcher said to the base runner afterwards :1popcorn:

DaHop72
06-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Umpire was in bad location and he didn't see it.
Yes, the catcher should have been ejected at least by baseball standards. Had the runner slid and took her out, she would have.I can't agree with this.
On the first runner he is looking back at the plate and on the second runner he is standing behind the plate. Looked like a basketball official who swallows his whistle.

buckeyebob
06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Pitiful...the coach should have a arse whoopin...

Rabid Cougar
06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I can't agree with this.
On the first runner he is looking back at the plate and on the second runner he is standing behind the plate. Looked like a basketball official who swallows his whistle.

The first play he was down the line to cover third, which is the four man mechanics for a fly to left field with runners on. Fisrt base umpire should be standing at home third base extended. I was unaware of the second instance. You are correct he is standing where he should be. The catcher is being an ass is all that is.

pirate4state
06-10-2015, 12:08 PM
I wish we could hear from the catcher said to the base runner afterwards :1popcorn:

I've made up my own story about what was said :D

The girl is getting HAMMERED on Twitter and now Deadspin and NBCSports have picked up the story :eek:

I know it is NOT supposed to be funny, but that girl flying through the air cracks me up every time! :evil:

Saggy Aggie
06-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Haha Needville showing em wassup